ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Mascot Banner question (OP updated 7/16/11)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this issue has not affected me for quite some time, it's still some what annoying. In the interest of making this as easy as possible to implement a fix I made this:

It's just a widened version of the current one, and logically it should be easily possible to replace the existing one in the SH database with this one. (I'm okay with not being credited as well. After all, cinder did most of the work, I just edited his.)

(EDIT: for the record, Greg necroed this on the last page. >__>)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
It has now become quite obvious to me, and as such it actually has started to bother me. I mean, it makes sense that the two other banners that aren't 135 pixels wide are smaller, since one is a low ranking banner, and the other is received as a punishment (Young Gun and Rocker respectively). However, Mascot is neither of those, and yet it is still smaller.

Just become a post whore (like inv4der :P ) and you won't have to worry about it.

Whitt333  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind having an all new set of graphics for the ranks honestly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitt333 wrote:
I wouldn't mind having an all new set of graphics for the ranks honestly.

Honestly, that's not a terrible idea other than the idea of needing to make them all and uprooting the traditional ones. We have far too many Freebirds and Mascots anyway.

The only goal that I set out to achieve when I made this thread in '08 was to get the Mascot banner lengthened. As I have finally provided that exact image, my goal could be achieved in a few minutes if someone with database access was willing/allowed to swap the new one in for the old.

Also, is there any chance of donators and/or post-Rockerbirds (5000 posts) getting the ability to have custom text ranks? (Or even custom image ranks?)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people who donate should get the option to have ad-free browsing, or even custom text along with their rank. That would be nice. Even if the donation price was a little higher, I guarantee there are plenty of people who would pay to become "premium" members. The star doesn't do much for me.

But I don't think having a certain post count makes as much sense for that. Some new graphics would be nice, just for consistency sake. But remember even if there was a set of entirely new graphics, there would still be "far too many" of something that is supposed to be prestigeous. (Which is funny by itself) Even if there were ranks above Freebird, Freebird has been so long associated with being the "top" on ScoreHero, I doubt anyone would really think better of the people with a bigger post count and thus a different rank. Unless you're suggesting putting more ranks in between Freebird and everything else, but I think there would be an uproar if you took away Freebirds from other people.

New graphics in general isn't a bad idea though. Even if they're just updated graphics with the same rank names. But that's just a cosmetic thing that unfortunately only bothers a small amount of people here... and may not be worth all the time for the return (I really hate the Freebird banner, but that's probably just a personal problem). If we took a poll of SH I guarantee most people wouldn't really care or want to change because everybody is a nostalgia-nut around these parts , which is sometimes too bad.

It's worth asking JC though, and if not cinder, I'm sure me/inv4der/whoever would be happy to play with some graphics ideas.

But yeah somebody please update that mascot banner.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
inv4der  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I don't think having a certain post count makes as much sense for that.

Well, it's just a thought since it's something you'd probably only want to give to people that have proven themselves capable of being reasonable with what they do on the site.

Some new graphics would be nice, just for consistency sake. But remember even if there was a set of entirely new graphics, there would still be "far too many" of something that is supposed to be prestigeous. (Which is funny by itself) Even if there were ranks above Freebird, Freebird has been so long associated with being the "top" on ScoreHero, I doubt anyone would really think better of the people with a bigger post count and thus a different rank. Unless you're suggesting putting more ranks in between Freebird and everything else, but I think there would be an uproar if you took away Freebirds from other people.

All I'm getting at is that with going on 200 Freebirds, and with however many hundreds of Mascots, the ranks don't seem as special as they once did. How that should be changed is something I'm unsure of.

New graphics in general isn't a bad idea though. Even if they're just updated graphics with the same rank names. But that's just a cosmetic thing that unfortunately only bothers a small amount of people here... and may not be worth all the time for the return (I really hate the Freebird banner, but that's probably just a personal problem). If we took a poll of SH I guarantee most people wouldn't really care or want to change because everybody is a nostalgia-nut around these parts , which is sometimes too bad.

I wouldn't mind a more simple/shorter Freebird rank banner, it's a little out of place and overly complex. I'm sure improvements could be made on the others as well. (I'm not a huge fan of the shields, myself. Mascot is possibly the ideal rank banner to me. Can I be a perma-mascot, with the 135px wide version? >__>)

It's worth asking JC though, and if not cinder, I'm sure me/inv4der/whoever would be happy to play with some graphics ideas.

I'd certainly be willing to take a pot-shot at the rank banners. I might do that later, actually.

But yeah somebody please update that mascot banner.

Yes, please do this, whoever is able to.

Said pot-shots. I'm a stickler for consistency so they're all the same dimensions, and no Galaga shield nonsense. In order of rank, then special ranks:

I didn't do any special award ones (Hailz's artist one, Barfo's 1337 one, etc) simply because these are just an example of my idea, and I'm not gonna even pretend that I could force them to use one I made.

While I'm sure people would complain about that Freebird one, I'd love to have one like that. (Especially instead of the current one. >__>)

And a bonus because I wanted to:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm not a fan of the banners without the shields. They just look...boring. I liked the shields. And I think there's significance to the Free Bird banner as it is now. It's complex, it's not uniform, but it's SUPPOSED to look awesome and grandiose and stand out; it's the fuckin' Free Bird banner; people who earn this are King Shit (like me) and that's why it's so shiny and different and not like the other banners. I don't actually hate your Free Bird design or anything, it just fails to meet any of the criteria the old banner meets.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
inv4der  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Nah, I'm not a fan of the banners without the shields. They just look...boring. I liked the shields. And I think there's significance to the Free Bird banner as it is now. It's complex, it's not uniform, but it's SUPPOSED to look awesome and grandiose and stand out; it's the fuckin' Free Bird banner; people who earn this are King Shit (like me) and that's why it's so shiny and different and not like the other banners. I don't actually hate your Free Bird design or anything, it just fails to meet any of the criteria the old banner meets.

Thing is, I've gotten sick of seeing this overly complex and oversized thing under my name. I'd much rather have a simpler version like mine even if it's just optional. (This is not me asking to be rockered. Those stupid shields are even worse. >__>)

I just don't even understand the Galaga shields at all. They're just weird and are pointless complexities. (I'm very big on simplicity when possible.)

That said, there's no reason to not do what the thread was made for, which is basically adding the stretched mascot banner. (Literally the only change in that case is that it's 30 pixels wider. >__>)

EDIT: Maybe have people able to choose between any rank they've earned? So a Pro could choose Young Gun/Rocker, or a Freebird could use any rank banner they wanted? Would be a nice thing to allow I think. (Obviously the staff could reset someone so rocker is the only option for permarockers.)

Maybe if the SH achievement thing is enacted, you could have special ranks for various site accomplishments as well? Like a special rank available to the top few on each game leaderboard, or maybe ones (without a specific quantity in the title) for certain amounts of entered FCs.

There's also the possibility of the idea of a "super-mascot" where they're chosen for contributions to the site by the staff, but have no actual moderation power. Kinda like a loyal/respected member thing. Issue there is that that'd be added to staff workload.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT 2: More thoughts!

This time, I've come up with a (terrible) idea for a new ranking system:

[New Shredder Banner Here]

Post requirements are the same to this point.

(2000 Posts)
(3000 Posts)
(4000 Posts)
(5000 Posts)
(5006 Posts)

Could swap Freebird and Trogdor, I just like Troggy better, so I made him harder to get. (In The Clear in this idea replaces Rockerbird.)

While I like One and Jordan as song name ranks, they could conceivably be replaced with better names. (Thrasher is a distinct contender.)

(Disclaimer: I am not pretending my ideas are anything other than fantasy, although I'd be honored if they would be actually considered/implemented.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
EDIT: Maybe have people able to choose between any rank they've earned? So a Pro could choose Young Gun/Rocker, or a Freebird could use any rank banner they wanted? Would be a nice thing to allow I think. (Obviously the staff could reset someone so rocker is the only option for permarockers.)

This is a good idea - in my case (as mentioned in IRC) I can choose to become a Freebird at any point, as can any mods or "special" ranks. So it would be nice to choose to be a different rank from your profile once you've passed earned ranks. Just for aesthetic purposes

Edit: Actually, that's a lie. I know I used to be able to, but maybe that was just when I was a mod. Meh. Shows how long its been since I've actually carefully looked at my profile. I would bet that every other special rank (such as League Commish, HMX, etc) should be able to, since they are a part of a "group," whereas my particular special rank is just for show but my name isn't a different color. If there was a ScoreHero Artist group, I would probably be able to. Interesting.

Also, jesus, 200 Freebirds? I had no idea. Yeah, all of the sudden it's less special (though for me it was never all that special to begin with... I never put much stock into forum ranks personally, as there are hundreds of lower-ranked individuals that are valuable posters here, so it probably doesn't mean as much to me as it would to others to mess around with Freebirds).

I like the consistency of inv4der's banners, but I agree with Pieman that without something else they just look boring and a Freebird (or the "highest" banner) ought to look a little more special. I agree that the shields are ugly (plus they don't make sense for Guitar Hero), but maybe something else on the edges? Like the little GH gems, maybe (that could look cool, with maybe the Freebird gems being on fire or otherwise awesome).

Trogdor as the top rank I like a whole lot, though. It all depends on if Trogdor is copyrighted or something haha

But honestly I wish we could take a poll of the active forums for this. To see if anybody really cares or if it's even worth the effort :/ Trust me I know how much it sucks to work on something that only a few people notice or care about, so if we can avoid it that would be nice. Any other opinions from people who aren't so graphically inclined?

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
This time, I've come up with a (terrible) idea for a new ranking system:

[New Shredder Banner Here]

Post requirements are the same to this point.

(2000 Posts)
(3000 Posts)
(4000 Posts)
(5000 Posts)
(5006 Posts)

Could swap Freebird and Trogdor, I just like Troggy better, so I made him harder to get. (In The Clear in this idea replaces Rockerbird.)

While I like One and Jordan as song name ranks, they could conceivably be replaced with better names. (Thrasher is a distinct contender.)

(Disclaimer: I am not pretending my ideas are anything other than fantasy, although I'd be honored if they would be actually considered/implemented.)
TTFAF could be a contender for a name, but that may be a space issue.

Maybe a special rank for 2112? 2112 posts?

Black Widow of la Poste? Raining Posts?

Serious ideas now: Knight of Cydonia? Cowboy From Hell? Kool Thing? The Seeker? John The Fisherman? Sweet Child O' Mine? (I would kill for that banner. ) The Trooper? Less Talk More Rokk? Thunderhorse? Yes We Can?

OH WAIT. WHERE IS ACE OF SPADES THERE MUST BE AN ACE OF SPADES ONE IT HAS BEEN IN GUITAR HERO/ROCK BAND 10 TIMES NOW!
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadoWolf, I've got a lit of ideas, don't worry.

As for filling in that blank space with something GH-related, I'm not sure notes work:

(Also it's pretty complex compared to the open space so I'm not a fan of it. >__>)

Trogdor should be just fine, as long as you don't have to pay for the rank. I'm sure the Brothers Chaps would understand.

I checked Fish's stats thread and there's only 152 Freebirds (technically, since he counts anyone with 2000+ posts) as of June 1st, but there are always people who are close, and the number will only go up. There is over 300 mascots.

I'll take a shot at sprucing up the simpler Freebird banner later.

Also someone should swap the 135 mascot banner in already.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
ShadoWolf, I've got a lit of ideas, don't worry.
Good stuff, I've liked what I've seen so far.

inv4der wrote:
As for filling in that blank space with something GH-related, I'm not sure notes work:

(Also it's pretty complex compared to the open space so I'm not a fan of it. >__>)
Controversial idea: Try it with RB notes. Maybe rectangles within rectangles would look nicer.
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem... http://scorehero.uservoice.com/
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:

Not to sound disrespectful, but being directly on the forum is probably better for achieving the main goal of the thread. It's not like it would need the 2009 SH Rewrite to happen to be done. (Getting the small mascot banner swapped for the new one.)

Beyond that, the new rank suggestion thing isn't finalized, so it's a little early to be submitting it as an idea on the (seemingly dead, neglected and forgotten) uservoice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:

The last idea was submitted 8 months ago...
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: