ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Cannot re-install guitar hero III PC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhitnik  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Cannot re-install guitar hero III PC Reply with quote

Hey, having a pretty serious problem here. I have tried every other avenue I can think of, but while there seem to be a few scattered people across the net with the same problem as me, nobody seems to have posted a resolution. I recently uninstalled GH3 (as I have many times before from messing with customs), but this time the uninstall froze partway through, and I had to reboot. After that, the entry in my Add/Remove was gone, but the game still appeared to be on my system, because when I tried to run the installer on the disc, it only game me the Repair/Remove options, and both of those give me a "Error 2753. awl.dll not marked for installtion", and then the installer quits. I have deleted the game folder, deleted the savegame folder, searched for and deleted all Guitar Hero and Aspyr registry keys I could find, and run CCleaner, and atleast one other registry cleaner, to no avail. I am running windows XP sp3, and I was using the latest patch at the time of uninstall. Please please someone help me, I have nobody else to go to, and I really don't want to reformat my computer so I can reinstall GH3, but I will if I have to. Thanks for reading, anxiously awaiting responses.
JDBar  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this helps here, but did you ever try a simple System Restore?
zhitnik  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have system restore disabled, but that wouldn't be a bad idea. I was hoping someone might be able to point me to the offending registry entry, or whatever is going on. I put a ticket into Aspyr too, but they don't seem to be in much of a hurry to respond, and I can't find anything in their knowledge base about it. Thanks for the reply, though.
zhitnik  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I received a response from Aspyr today and it seems to have fixed my issue, so I will post it here, since it is the only known resolution on the internet apparently..

"If you are unable to uninstall Guitar Hero III, it's likely due to a bug that can occur if game files have been manually removed. To work around this, you may use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility provided by Microsoft, available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

As this is software provided by Microsoft, please note, we are unable to provide support for issues that may occur with it.

Before using this software to remove all data from your hard drive, be sure to first manually remove the following folders from your hard drive:

C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\My Documents\Aspyr\Guitar Hero III
C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Local Settings\ApplicationData\Aspyr\Guitar Hero III

Aspyr Technical Support"

I downloaded the utility, and when I ran it, it didn't list Guitar Hero. There was one entry at the top that said something like "[1.000.000.000]", and it had no description, so I just tried removing that, and voila, I can now re-install. Hope this helps someone.
Storbjarn  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Sweet Reply with quote

Tnx for the help. Fixed my problem right away. To think they donĀ“t include these programs in the windows update.
dogvi  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: you rock!! Reply with quote

fuckin love you man i've spent 5 hours today and 6 the other day trying to uninstall gh3!! i have holes in my wall now because i get angry lmao. but thx man! i'm installing now
dev0ved  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Finally Reply with quote

Thanks...

this made all the bad go away

zhitnik  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I too was tearing out my hair trying to get the game installed...no customs is no fun I'm glad I could help a few people out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an account just to post how happy i am, u r a fucking hero mate, FUCKING HERO, i hope u sleep well tonight knowing that you helped someone who was actually going to reformat their harddrive. FUCKING HERO!

peace
Iridium5000  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thanks from me as well, I had not the same problem but nearly... with GH: WT.
I manually removed it and the installer broke up after a short amount when I tryed to uninstall it... so installing or uninstalling was not possible. Now it is. ^^
Almismari  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man...you're so f***** professional

i knew there's someone will solve this prlm

thanx
berq219  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love thee from the bottom of my heart! thanks!
kainancook  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: eert Reply with quote

when you click on the remove button, it will freeze but you just wait about 5 minutes and it will start to uninstall.
i came here cause i had the same problem and i just waited a little

hit the guitar hero 3.msi
hit the whatever
then click remove
it will start to not respond for a little bit but its actually working, so just chill
it will start to uninstall it sooner or later
then reinstall it after that

i know it was posted 2 years ago but im just posting a solution for other people that have the problem.

your welcome... maybe?
peroo88  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i have a problem with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. when i click on the link posted it shows me how to delete microsoft office so if anyone could send me another link to download it or whatever would be gr8
BJinsiders  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Help plz! Reply with quote

Got "Error 2753 The File 'awl.dll' is not marked for installation" When im trying to install or Uninstall GH 3 or GH world tour
soo what i should do?
The link is for Microsoft office delete?
huh?
Plz answer im trying it for 1 week and nothing
I deleted all registry of gh3 and World tour but nothing happens soo guys
Plz help me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: