ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Ultimate "Help me with ____" thread!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sully  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: The Ultimate "Help me with ____" thread! Reply with quote

In attempt to keep this forum a little more organized, I've combined several very handy guides/help threads into this thread. If you want to comment on one of the linked threads, then please post in that particular thread. If you have a comment (suggestion/criticism) about this thread, then post it in this thread.

Do you need help with:

-Jordan? Click Here!
-Raining Blood? Click Here!
-Through The Fire And Flames? Click Here!
-A different song? Check Here! (Many songs across all GH games can be found here)
-Tapping? Click Here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooooooh thats useful

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think today holds the record for most announcements in a day.

www.highschoolorlower.com | VISIT OR PERISH
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ViperX66
ComedyKing16  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: request Reply with quote

when u guys update the site for Gh: WT can u make a section for explaining the music studio and how everything related works? im still a little confused as to how everything works. it would be greatly appreciated, not just by me, but probably many others too.

thanks guys, josh
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think after my Satch Boogie guide is completely done you could put it here? It is, after all, the so called "impossible" song in GH:WT. Jordan and TTFaF are here, so maybe mine should be too.

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
ShadowDude27  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow, it's like combining a lot of sticky's into one thread!

Excellent, this is incredibly helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, from the title I expected something different. I thought there'd be a "We're getting too many 'help' topics, so ask for all song related help here"... And I was kinda o.O... Bleh, I'm stupid for even thinking this.

Suggestion:

I've not been on SH lately, so I don't know how big of a problem Satch Boogie is for most people here. I assume it isn't much of a big deal, but I may be wrong. Possible add a Satch Boogie guide link in there (since it is kinda appropriate)
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
Grimnir  

Location: OMG you live in ut or play on psn? add me lets play!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a prediction...

People are STILL not going to use this stickie until after they've posted 1-5 threads each time they need help.

These threads never really work. I suggest just helping people when they ask for help <_< it's worked on other forums I've been on. It answers questions and solves problems faster, and cuts down on the elitism that often shuns new players when they ask for help and get 'omg wtf noob use search / look at stickies.'

Besides that, these stikies often do not answer specific questions. And most guides are practically a joke now. They focus on listing a million different hand positions with no practical advice. Example: stricken, the hard part is broken into two parts, with over 10 different fingering positions covering ridiculous combinations, over half of which actually make the section more difficult, but offers no coverage for transitioning between these two sections where most fc attempts fail.

What I suggest is we make a rule against "how to" threads, and just stick to answering questions. Since the real annoying forum clutter* is from "I just found a way to..." not from "how do I..." And for those people with hours to pour out on a mass freticon post, we could simply expand the starpower thread which already breaks down each song individually, to include freticon break downs of song charts (someone already has EVERY SINGLE song on gh3 done this way too, so it would be easy), or just include the best information in the wiki and link to it when answering a question instead of just telling them to check the wiki.

*annoying-ness of forum posts based on usefulness of said post. If someone is asking a question, and they are answered, the post is useful. However if an answer is given, but the question was never asked, it helps no one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimnir wrote:
I have a prediction...

People are STILL not going to use this stickie until after they've posted 1-5 threads each time they need help.
There will always be some people that decide to be losers and not post in stickies

Grimnir wrote:
These threads never really work. I suggest just helping people when they ask for help <_< it's worked on other forums I've been on. It answers questions and solves problems faster, and cuts down on the elitism that often shuns new players when they ask for help and get 'omg wtf noob use search / look at stickies.'
But it doesn't allow the mods to do their jobs faster, just imagine them having to monitor 500 topics on TTFAF, it wastes time, and stickies are easier to track.

Grimnir wrote:
Besides that, these stikies often do not answer specific questions. And most guides are practically a joke now. They focus on listing a million different hand positions with no practical advice. Example: stricken, the hard part is broken into two parts, with over 10 different fingering positions covering ridiculous combinations, over half of which actually make the section more difficult, but offers no coverage for transitioning between these two sections where most fc attempts fail.
The stickies are meant to post questions so someone else can help you, it's like a TSG forum for an individual song or subject. As for your example with Stricken, sometimes the hardest part is the fingering, as in the second hard part of that song. The transition is meant to come with practice, and at the top of the guide, it clearly states

Stricken FC Guide wrote:
Practice mode is your friend

Grimnir wrote:
What I suggest is we make a rule against "how to" threads, and just stick to answering questions. Since the real annoying forum clutter* is from "I just found a way to..." not from "how do I..." And for those people with hours to pour out on a mass freticon post, we could simply expand the starpower thread which already breaks down each song individually, to include freticon break downs of song charts (someone already has EVERY SINGLE song on gh3 done this way too, so it would be easy), or just include the best information in the wiki and link to it when answering a question instead of just telling them to check the wiki.
So you're saying we should ban stuff like the revolutionary Jordan Solo B tapping method? That falls into your category of "I just found a way to. . ." doesn't it? Sometimes stuff like that changes the game, otherwise, no one cares and the thread dies. Guides are just a fundamental part of video gaming, and why would you want to include individual song guides in the Starpower thread? They are two completely unrelated topics, and it just makes the thread confusing and disorderly.

Last edited by ShadowDude27 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grimnir  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowDude27 wrote:
There will always be some people that decide to be losers and not post in stickies

Exactly the type of elitest attitudes I am talking about. I'm borderline quitting this forum already because of this.

Grimnir wrote:

ShadowDude27 wrote:
So you're saying we should ban stuff like the revolutionary Jordan Solo B tapping method? That falls into your category of "I just found a way to. . ." doesn't it? Sometimes stuff like that changes the game, otherwise, no one cares and the thread dies. Guides are just a fundamental part of video gameing, and why would you want to include individual song guides in the Starpower thread? They are two completely unrelated topics, and it just makes the thread confusing and disorderly.

For the first point, read my underlined portion. For the second part, the starpower threads are actually not used very much any more. The optimal paths are posted, and the thread sits stagnant. What would be so wrong about having song specific chat included there along with starpower paths? Although, I would prefer seeing it included in the wiki, my goal here is to put ideas out there and brainstorm what will make this forum work better. Whichever way it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimnir wrote:
I have a prediction...

*annoying-ness of forum posts based on usefulness of said post. If someone is asking a question, and they are answered, the post is useful. However if an answer is given, but the question was never asked, it helps no one.

There have been so many questions that we never see because of stickies and thus it prevents questions from even being asked. That's the point of stickies that I don't think you are really understanding. To prevent the question in the first place.

People will always still post even if we have stickies that read "DO NOT POST OR YOU WILL GET BANNED". There is no way to stop it. Stickies will never eliminate useless threads, but they will certainly reduce them more than any of us really can realize.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoorayItsMike wrote:
There have been so many questions that we never see because of stickies and thus it prevents questions from even being answered.

I know that -I- won't read through 20 pages of year old posts about a song to help someone. Also I know that a lot of information from a year ago in these topics is actually inaccurate! This is something I experienced going to our starpower thread. The paths posted as "optimal" are not actually what has been found since to really be optimal. As a consequence I have full combos that are down thousands of points from the top scores because of mis-information.

By taking stikies down, and properly utilizing the wiki, we get rid of the inaccurate and irrelevant information, and focus only on what is current, accurate, and relevant.

HoorayItsMike wrote:
People will always still post even if we have stickies that read "DO NOT POST OR YOU WILL GET BANNED". There is no way to stop it. Stickies will never eliminate useless threads, but they will certainly reduce them more than any of us really can realize.

First, again, that elitist attitude which shuts off so many new players, and ostracizes them as they try to get involved in this high level playing community. "DO NOT POST OR YOU ARE BANNED" and other threats to new posters has a strong negative effect on the new posters.
Secondly, this is exactly why these stikies do not actually reduce the forum clutter. Every poster which would go to a stikie would look in other existing recent threads first. Meanwhile every poster which posts anyway, is obviously posting anyway. In other words, we still get all of the forum clutter.
Furthermore, again, there is so much out-dated information and inaccurate information in those threads that many players will actually be mis-led in their steps towards higher scores. Which is why we need to let old threads die, new threads open, with new, relevant, and correct information given in them.

And especially proper wiki use, with the most accurate, and useful information held there for easy reference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimnir wrote:
HoorayItsMike wrote:
There have been so many questions that we never see because of stickies and thus it prevents questions from even being answered.

I know that -I- won't read through 20 pages of year old posts about a song to help someone. Also I know that a lot of information from a year ago in these topics is actually inaccurate! This is something I experienced going to our starpower thread. The paths posted as "optimal" are not actually what has been found since to really be optimal. As a consequence I have full combos that are down thousands of points from the top scores because of mis-information.

Well, I feel there is no way I'm going to change your mind, and I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss this issue or not. So I'll just end it here. I disagree with what you said but we basically just have to agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimnir wrote:

The Jordan thread is over 83 pages. You're right, 83 pages of forum topics in one thread, that doesn't help AT ALL.

Grimnir wrote:

So you're saying guides should have exactly one method that matches how YOU play? I like the Stricken guide because there are so many choices and you can pick the one that helps you the most. It really angers me when you shit on Nova's hard work because YOU think half the methods don't work for YOU. Seriously, I think tapping makes things harder for me, but I NEVER tell people not to tap and I try to help them find a tapping method if I think I can if they tell me that they do better tapping. That's really elitist to tell people methods don't work when you have no idea how other people play.

Grimnir wrote:
Exactly the type of elitest attitudes I am talking about. I'm borderline quitting this forum already because of this.

Asking people to follow established rules and to keep the forum running smothly is SO elitist.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
PuddingMix  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive read all the jordan threads and i still have solo b trouble....here's a hands vid of me i want to stop my elbow strum before every trill but if i dont do it i miss the trills....i know im not going to fast w/ my tapping finger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8asAbGYIYMI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: