ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Ultimate "Help me with ____" thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that this thread is serving as much use as it could, simply because of the title. I'm not sure that it's easy at all to tell that the links to the stickies are contained in this thread, and many people simply don't even read the thread because they don't know what it contains, therefore they don't bother to look at it. I know that it might be difficult to make a good title that covers everything in the thread, while still "attracting" users, but I think this little thing will help reduce the clutter quite a bit.

Maybe something along the lines of:

"Need help with a song? Click here!"
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
I'm not sure that this thread is serving as much use as it could, simply because of the title. I'm not sure that it's easy at all to tell that the links to the stickies are contained in this thread, and many people simply don't even read the thread because they don't know what it contains, therefore they don't bother to look at it. I know that it might be difficult to make a good title that covers everything in the thread, while still "attracting" users, but I think this little thing will help reduce the clutter quite a bit.

Maybe something along the lines of:

"Need help with a song? Click here!"

I agree with this entirely. There was a Raining Blood thread that said the person didn't want to bother trying to find the old sticky, despite knowing that it existed and knowing that they should post in there. You almost should have a title like "Click Here Before Creating a New Thread About ANYTHING". Yes, that's pretty elitist, but a name like that is probably one of the most effective ways to stop a lot of the clutter that is still existing.

Also, nowhere in the OP does it tell people to not create new threads on these songs. People may actually see this thread, check out some RB links, but still not have their problem solved and thus they resort to creating a new thread and not realizing that that is wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that the link to Definitive List of Guides should be included in the OP, and then the title could be something like "Need help on any song?...." while still being pretty much correct.

Both the official [insert song name here] threads and the definitive list of guides serve pretty much the same purpose; they reduce clutter in the forum by attempting to help others with common difficulties.
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
I also think that the link to Definitive List of Guides should be included in the OP, and then the title could be something like "Need help on any song?...." while still being pretty much correct.

Did you try clicking the "a different song?" link? It's goes to the list.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, this thread was a good concept, and in theory it should've helped to reduce a good amount of clutter in the forums, but at this point I believe it is a failed experiment. Just in the past day I've seen at least 10 topics about TtFaF, RaBl, and the like.

Sully wrote:
1) It will cut down on new threads. If even one person uses this thread rather than making a new thread, then this thread is a great success.

But that's the thing: people don't check this topic. Maybe if the name of the thread is changed to "Click Here Before Creating a New Thread About ANYTHING", like Mike said, it might fare a little better, but in the state it is, it's sadly useless.

Something needs to be done. Whether it's the simple cosmetic change of a new name or a reverting to the old, un-organized method (which I'll plainly admit, if it weren't for the failure of this thread, I wouldn't miss. This is so much neater. ), this has to be fixed. This thread just ain't cutting it, at least not in the current state.

Please, someone, consider a fix.

(I hope Sully reads this...I have a sneaking suspicion the mods never really check this thread, the last mod post being over a month ago... )
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:
(I hope Sully reads this...I have a sneaking suspicion the mods never really check this thread, the last mod post being over a month ago... )

Well, the mods do have PM Inboxes. I don't think they ever check those, either, but you could try that.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
overlord1841  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sorry if I posted in the wrong place *

OK, basically, what I need help with are long chains of notes (like in EotT)
How can you hit every single note, because I always strum too fast or too slow.

secondly

How the HELL are you meant to do trapped under ice on hard (yes im a little poo)

Any help appreciated, but I will shoot anyone who says "hit moer noetz!!!!11!!1one!"
KrazyKidDaHustla  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone can help me with passing FSA in One without SP? I have an amazing run right now on it (it's on pause..), but I have no SP for FSA and I haven't passed it without it yet and don't want to risk messing up the run. And don't say "hit moar notes, suck less, etc." because that doesn't work for me... Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrazyKidDaHustla wrote:
Was wondering if anyone can help me with passing FSA in One without SP? I have an amazing run right now on it (it's on pause..), but I have no SP for FSA and I haven't passed it without it yet and don't want to risk messing up the run. And don't say "hit moar notes, suck less, etc." because that doesn't work for me... Thanks.

There was a pretty good thread on this a few weeks ago: One - Fast Solo A Passing w/out SP. Hopefully you can find some ideas in there that will help.
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overlord1841 wrote:
*sorry if I posted in the wrong place *

OK, basically, what I need help with are long chains of notes (like in EotT)
How can you hit every single note, because I always strum too fast or too slow.

The key is to alt-strum at a steady rhythm. A guide to alt-strumming can be found here, but all you really need to know is that alt-strumming means holding the strum bar with your thumb and index finger ("pinching" the strum bar, if you will) and strum down and up, effectively doubling your regular strumming speed. Some will get it right away, for some it will take quite a bit of practice. Eye of the Tiger is actually good practice for it, just keep in beat with the song. It really isn't a hard rhythm or speed to get down, honestly; if you find you're having a lot of trouble with the rhythm still, try hyperspeed to space the notes out more.

overlord1841 wrote:
secondly

How the HELL are you meant to do trapped under ice on hard (yes im a little poo)

Any help appreciated, but I will shoot anyone who says "hit moer noetz!!!!11!!1one!"

Again, the key to playing this song is alt-strumming. Personally, I think the verse (the hardest part on Hard in my opinion) is harder on Hard than on Expert, but it's still doable. There are two simple ways to strum the verse with alt-strumming (note: on ScoreHero, posters will usually use a 'd' for 'down-strum' and 'u' for 'upstrum' like in the above guide and below):

Method 1:

d_dudud_d_dudud

This requires shifting from alt-strumming to down-strumming quickly.

Method 2:

d_ududu_d_ududu

This one is more of "straight alt-strumming," or alt-strumming without reverting to down-strumming.

Anyways, I hope that helps you a bit with this song on Hard. It's kinda difficult to help people on songs if you don't get a bit more specific on the sections of the songs, by the way.

Oh, and welcome to ScoreHero, motherfucker!
overlord1841  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help =D
13rats  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:
NfskMjmMal2 wrote:

Did you try clicking the "a different song?" link? It goes to the list.

Yes, I realize NfskMjmMal2 and TheThirdDay posted a while ago. Still, since then the thread has been locked and the list has been wikitized, so I suggest the link be replaced with the one to the wiki list:
Code:
[url=http://wiki.scorehero.com/ScoreHerosDefinitiveListOfGuides]Check Here![/url]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a quick question (as my first post)...

Do most people use the hammer-ons in the games? (for example GH3)

And is it recommended TO use the hammer-ons?
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devilman501 wrote:
I have a quick question (as my first post)...

Do most people use the hammer-ons in the games? (for example GH3)

And is it recommended TO use the hammer-ons?

I'll let you decide for yourself when you get to The Devil Went Down To Georgia.

But yeah, the answer is yes, because strumming every note in every solo would be ridiculously hard. Like GH1.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Guitarherolov3r  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Crazy Train solo Reply with quote

First of all what is the finger technique for this in the solo : like what i've been doing is holding down the green then hammering on the notes then holding down the red then hamering on the notes etc. but it doesnt seem to work because the notes are going by too fast. please help me all advice is appreciated =]
detcader  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Train solo Reply with quote

Guitarherolov3r wrote:
First of all what is the finger technique for this in the solo : like what i've been doing is holding down the green then hammering on the notes then holding down the red then hamering on the notes etc. but it doesnt seem to work because the notes are going by too fast. please help me all advice is appreciated =]

It seems to me that that part of the solo is just speedy finger triplets-- index-middle-ring, index-middle-ring... but I'm not sure if there's a more advanced way..

:
123 1231231231231231231234

I'm looking for some help of my own: how does one do the flailing at the beginning of Cliffs of Dover? I have to SP to even survive that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: