ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Idea For Leagues (rolling leagues sort of set up)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickles  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Idea For Leagues (rolling leagues sort of set up) Reply with quote

I just got to thinking, instead of having all of the leagues at the same time, why not have a few each month.

Have like 3-4 different competitions over a month or two, and then start up a few new ones.
---------------------------------------

It would benefit by allowing a whole lot more participation, from both people who have never looked into leagues and from people who are overwhelmed or unallowed to have too many songs. Also the whole, "whens the next leagues round starting up" will be out. No more waiting. Yes people will have to wait for their competition of choice, but they can choose to do other competitions in the meantime. Scorehero will always have a sort of competition going. Instead of a weeks worth of sign ups twice a year.

I think this would benefit the league Community in enormous ways, In turn helping scorehero be ever more awesome. Of course effort from both staff and members will be required i think this is a great idea to raise our competitive edge. Instead of who is 1st on the leader boards it will be who won the last league. That person will be crowned champion, in turn helping restore the sense of the god like players.
--------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? I think it's great but I'll understand if you don't want to fix what isn't broken.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partly, the long delay isn't the norm, and it's possible to get a season rolling a couple weeks after the prior one ends. Most of the leagues that don't get the signups to run, more than likely wouldn't either way.
btownsoccerstud  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Idea For Leagues (rolling leagues sort of set up) Reply with quote

Rickles wrote:
I just got to thinking, instead of having all of the leagues at the same time, why not have a few each month.

Have like 3-4 different competitions over a month or two, and then start up a few new ones.
---------------------------------------

It would benefit by allowing a whole lot more participation, from both people who have never looked into leagues and from people who are overwhelmed or unallowed to have too many songs. Also the whole, "whens the next leagues round starting up" will be out. No more waiting. Yes people will have to wait for their competition of choice, but they can choose to do other competitions in the meantime. Scorehero will always have a sort of competition going. Instead of a weeks worth of sign ups twice a year.

I think this would benefit the league Community in enormous ways, In turn helping scorehero be ever more awesome. Of course effort from both staff and members will be required i think this is a great idea to raise our competitive edge. Instead of who is 1st on the leader boards it will be who won the last league. That person will be crowned champion, in turn helping restore the sense of the god like players.
--------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? I think it's great but I'll understand if you don't want to fix what isn't broken.
I believe this is a wonderful idea. I have a blast when leagues roll around and alot of other members do too. All we need are just a handful of regular users who would be dedicated enough and trusted enough by the staff to oversee and run the leagues. This would relieve the burden put on the staff to operate the leagues and allow them to work on other things around the site. This would also make the members happy because I am pretty sure the majority of Scorehero loves when league time rolls around. This is just an idea take it which ever way you would like.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elx wrote:
Partly, the long delay isn't the norm, and it's possible to get a season rolling a couple weeks after the prior one ends. Most of the leagues that don't get the signups to run, more than likely wouldn't either way.

Yeah, I would imagine the leagues ran more frequently than they have recently. There were 9 leages so far, and gh1 has only been out for 3 years.

3926 0220 0199 1364
Rickles  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elx wrote:

I see where you are coming from but if leagues are always running i feel like they will get more popularity, and this way the leagues that don't usually get sign ups will see more attention, allowing more members to stand in the spotlight. This is a great way to restore that feeling of who the ultimate players are. Now that almost everyone is a guitar god in the games, It's a little trickier to determine who the best player is at any given time. My vote goes to baseballkid, but he might not even be playing these days for all I know. I feel this would help restore that feeling of having a champion that everyone on the site aspires to beat. Whether or not that's actually important is a good question though, but i know i sure miss the days or reveling in the amazing Lo7 vs. HellAshes battle during GH2. (I'm to young to remember Krim vs. ES)

Either way, as long as leagues start coming more often, I will be happy but i still think that my idea is worthy of consideration.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see rolling leagues too. I think it would be cool if we had seasons. Something like:

Jan-Feb - GH1, GH2, GH80s
March-April - RB 1
May-June - GH3, GHA
July-Aug - RB 2
Sept-Oct - GHWT
Nov-Dec - Off Season

That way, everyone who wants to could participate in every game league, and no one would have to choose between doing GH2 or GH3 because their sign up slots are full. I also think that it would be less work for commissioners because there would less leagues running at a time. It would mean less songs per week to generate, because all leagues for each game could use the same list of songs each week. And it would also raise the level of competition because ALL of the top players would be competing in the same game, rather than having elite player #1 in GH3, while elite player #2 is in GH2. I put RB1, RB2, and WT by themselves because there would (presumably) be different leagues for G/B/D/V/FB/Duets etc...

I think that a big reason that WT vox and WT drums got cut this season is because the people who were interested wanted to use their few league slots elsewhere since there were SO many games to choose from. If it were set up like this, a guitar player who also likes to sing could use one slot on WT-G and one on WT-V, rather than one on WT-G and one on GH2 or GH3.

EDIT: Rickles: I posted this before I read your second post, but as you can see, I completely agree with you.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: IWi11KickU
jamesw  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWillKickU wrote:
I would like to see rolling leagues too. I think it would be cool if we had seasons. Something like:

Jan-Feb - GH1, GH2, GH80s
March-April - RB 1
May-June - GH3, GHA
July-Aug - RB 2
Sept-Oct - GHWT
Nov-Dec - Off Season

I agree with this, I just think gh1 2, 80's and 3 should be moved around because they would likely be the most popular.

Harmonix games are just too good not to play them for 8 years. Officially back in action.
ortiz1193  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWillKickU wrote:
I think that a big reason that WT vox and WT drums got cut this season is because the people who were interested wanted to use their few league slots elsewhere since there were SO many games to choose from. If it were set up like this, a guitar player who also likes to sing could use one slot on WT-G and one on WT-V, rather than one on WT-G and one on GH2 or GH3.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read Elx's post, luckily I didn't have to type it.

I would've loved to do a ton of different leagues, but I only had so much time and so many spaces. I really wanted to work on drums, but I didn't think I'd have much fun without charts, so I just signed up for WT Guitar Hard and Expert. I would've liked to do GH3H and X, GHAX, I might've even tried some GH2 Stuff. But I know I would've only had time for a few, so I chose the two I thought I'd have the most fun with. If it was set up on annual schedule, it'd much more competitive, and hopefully a lot more fun.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rolling leagues is a good idea that will increase enrollment in the leagues that are offered, simply due to the fact that you have a lot of dedicated players who would join 3 or 4 leagues if they had the time. But they will join all of them if they only have to do 1 or 2 at a time. Plus, you have the players who will sign up for an older game if, say, GH3 isn't running.

That said, I think you can definitely offer a handful of games per season and maintain that degree of choice. And you can also adjust the schedule to account for the fact that GHWT is going to get more sign-ups than GH1 - so GHWT can run more frequently.

This idea might not single-handedly save leagues that would otherwise get cancelled, but it is likely to improve the leagues that would run regardless. You can break the player pool into more divisions and create a more competitive environment when players don't split off in so many directions.
doubleornothin  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a problem though.
Instead of having to wait a few weeks/months for your desired league, you'll be forced to wait an entire year.
bambaniasz  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doubleornothin wrote:
Instead of having to wait a few weeks/months for your desired league, you'll be forced to wait an entire year.
that's what i thought as well. i only have GH3 and GHA, so i would only have 2 months of leagues a year.
the whole idea sounds ok, but should it ever work, it must be thought thoroughly.
Hard - 55 FCs [x] nailed BiF for #55, yeah
60 FCs, maybe? [x] #60 - The Way it Ends
65? no way [ ] 64 (R&R All Night)
5* all [x] finally got TTFAF
Expert - 35 FCs [ ] 30
Rickles  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bambaniasz wrote:
doubleornothin wrote:
that's what i thought as well. i only have GH3 and GHA, so i would only have 2 months of leagues a year.
the whole idea sounds ok, but should it ever work, it must be thought thoroughly.

It doesn't have to be a strict yearly schedule though. Just whatever seems like it will get support at the time, and whatever is popular can run monthly if need be, and then other, less popular leagues can run every once in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like the idea but the mods/staff that run the leagues wouldn't ever get a break. Seems like it would take up a decent bit of their time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

full band league? Its not what you guys were talking about but no were else seems like a good place to post this... It would be the same set up as all the other leagues but with a full band. Obviously no GH1,2,80's, or 3. But it would be set up like Co-op leagues only for GHWT, Metalllica, GHSH, 5?. And then RB1 and 2 good idea bad idea?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: knightrocker33
SAW4135  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do see how this is a good idea, I know that I would only be able to really participate in leagues over the summer (I.E. now). During the school year, I'm pretty busy, and I'm sure that might hold true for others as well.

Granted, I've never signed up for leagues in the past, but I can't help but think some other people are in the same situation I am

I do, however, see how people may want to do more leagues. Maybe after this league has been run, the Mods might consider adding to the number of leagues people can sign up for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: