ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Are instrument-derived scores vailid for submission?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erimgard  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Are instrument-derived scores vailid for submission? Reply with quote

Let's say I play vocals with my ocarina. I get a score I'm proud of (I haven't yet, I play too much band quickplay lol) and want to submit it. Should I? Could I? I'm not sure. This is not a hypothetical discussion, I do play vocals with my ocarina. I'm just wondering if I am able to submit those scores. Opinions are welcome, I'm not sure on it myself. Would an asterisk and explanation be necessary? Would I be able to post it right out? I'd like to hear thoughts.

Kindof depends on whether you view the highscore table as "scores attained by humans matching a pitch with their vocal chords" or as "scores attained by humans matching a pitch", I suppose.

Btw the ocarina in question is a extended range sweet potato in C from that website, got it years and years ago... I'd like one with a larger range, but I suppose that is a discussion for another forum

Last edited by Erimgard on Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Erimgard Wii Friend Code: 390958806486
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

Mind you, I'm no vocalist.

But.. I don't think this would be allowed. It seems like it's using something that not all users have access to, for one. And while vocals are apparently very easy to just hum to (So I hear, I really don't know), the use of an ocarina could very well make it much easier to hit a certain pitch rather than if you were just using your voice.

So.. I don't really think it seems like you'd be allowed to submit scores like this. But all the same, it seems like a neat little thing to do every now and then
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
possum98  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this discussion:
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83214

It is awesome that you are doing vocals on an ocarina. Unfortunately this does give you an advantage (especially on freeform sections where pitch needs to be very precise). I don't think these scores would be allowed.
Erimgard  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. I was leaning this way myself, I wanted to hear some thoughts on it though. I won't submit vocals scores that I used my ocarina to achieve (even for freeforms, which btw you're right it's HIGHLY useful for that).

Mind you you still have to put through the effort of learning the song. I actually do worse on a sightread with my ocarina, because I can usually get the pitch pretty quickly by ear and at least hum the vocal line if I'm using my voice. With the ocarina however, I have to find the right fingering, and if it's a song that has quickly- changing melodies that can be very hard to do without knowing the song beforehand. I don't have perfect pitch, so

If a moderator happens to come by this topic, feel free to close it.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Erimgard Wii Friend Code: 390958806486
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: