ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Metal Thread Mark II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjokazooie  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of Mastodon albums, I have all of them but Crack the Skye, and I love all three of them that I own. Remission is a sludgy, riff driven metal record and it's really fun to listen to when you're in the mood for it. Leviathan started moving into the more progressive territory with stuff like Seabeast, but has some nice Remission-esque tunes as well, not to mention some great guitar playing on stuff like I Am Ahab. Blood Mountain is awesome too, much less self-indulgent (though Brann is still flashy and awesome as ever) and every song kicks ass. Bladecatcher has a sweet riff, and that solo on Crystal Skull is just awesome. I plan on getting Crack the Skye soon, all I've heard is Divinations and Oblivion, but i like both of those.

Anyway, MAYHEM FEST LOWDOWN!!!

I'll break this into parts-

Atmosphere/Experience
Great venue (Superpages.com Center in Dallas, TX), and it was set up really well. After waiting in line I went to scope out all the booths, downed a free Rockstar, and went and watched BDM. After that I skipped some of the -core bands that went on and purchased Cannibal Corpse's "Evisceration Plague" (if you bought the little CC gift bag they were selling that included the album you got to skip ahead in line to meet the band) and got it signed by the members of the band and shook their hands. It was a really nice set up, and it all went smoothly.

The Bands- I'll review those that I watched, which means no Whitechapel (got there too late), JFAC, God Forbid, Trivium, ATR, or BFMV.

Black Dahlia Murder-
Set (from what I can remember)- Statutory Ape, Everything Went Black, A Vulgar Picture, What A Horrible Night to Have a Curse, Necropolis, a couple others

Impressions- Fantastic show. The lead guitarist was playing this baby blue Ibanez which was pretty funny, and the singer was all over the place and got the crowd involved. There were great solos on most every track, all of them improvised. You watch the guitarists and bassists, and their hands are always moving. There's very little basic power chord riffs, and the bass player was sick. I got a spot very close to the band while most everyone else was watching the Jager band on the other stage, so I saw it all close up. They played well, and I'm a bigger fan than I already was beforehand.

Behemoth-
Set- I'm not too familiar with these guys, the only song I knew was Conquer All

Impressions- Great performance. I don't know their music well, but they put on a great show. A few guitar solos, and they were pretty good. A lot of headbanging and devil horns, especially during Conquer All. They came on for an encore and spat blood, and the crowd went nuts. A good set, I'll definitely look into these guys.

Cannibal Corpse-
Set- Evisceration Plague, Priests of Sodom, Mummified in Barbed Wire (I'm not sure on that one, I thinkt that's what it was), Make them Suffer, Hammer Smashed Face, Stripped, Raped, and Strangled

Holy FUCK what a show. Brutal pits, epic bass fills, and some great overall playing. Corpsegrinder did his thing and got everyone to go nuts. I stood in the back for Evisceration Plague, but realized I needed to get to the front and by Priests of Sodom I got to the pit and slammed around for the next couple songs. During Make them Suffer I stood on the edge and banged my head, and then Corpsegrinder goes on his little monologue and says the next song is the last one and to make the entire crowd a giant pit. They played Hammer Smashed Face, and while it wasn't quite that the pit did get pretty huge, and I slammed for the whole song, I didn't have much of a choice. Then Corpsegrinder says "You know when I said that was our last song?" and the crowd screams as he lets out a devilish "I LIEEEEED!!" and they go into Stripped, Raped, and Strangled to end it. Great set.

Killswitch Engage-
Set- All I remember are My Curse and Holy Diver

Impressions- Didn't enjoy it. I only watched because they came on before Slayer, and they weren't very good. The singer was a douche too.

FUCKIN SLAYER!-
Set (I'm forgetting a couple)- Disciple, Jihad, War Ensemble, Mandatory Suicide, Born of Fire, Psychopathy Red, Angel of Death, Hell Awaits, Dead Skin Mask, South of Heaven, Raining Blood

Impressions- Immortal. Incredible performance. From the intro of The Darkness of Christ to the Flood!, they didn't miss a beat. Disciple got the crowd on their feet and the jarring intro of Jihad kept them there. War Ensemble's epic yell into Kerry's solo was awesome, and Mandatory Suicide had great vocals. Born of Fire was cool, a classic live tune. Pyschopathy Red had great solos and Tom pulled it off nicely, the new album is sounding better and better. Angel of Death had an awesome solo that Jeff and Kerry went back and forth on, and Tom shined again. Hell Awaits was a huge highlight, I didn't think they'd play it and there was tons of crazy pyro during the intro and Tom pulled of that fast vocal refrain beautifully. Dead Skin Mask, my favorite Slayer song, was the high point. Tom intro'd it, and pulled of the vocals perfectly, Jeff and Kerry pulled off another great back and forth solo, and I sang along the whole time. South of Heaven was nuts, the whole crowd sang along and the roof shook with the epic yells of "ON AND ON SOUTH OF HEAV-EN!" Raining Blood closed it in a great way.

I also have videos of Mandatory Suicide (missing about 10 seconds of the intro) and all of Hell Awaits, so if you want to see them I can put them on Youtube.

Progress: 20/42, Last: Love Bites (So Do I) (9th ever FC cross-platform!)

Best FCs-
FCPREMIX, TtL CoD, CoP, NotB (GH3), RtL, Wasted Years, Peace Sells (RB)
guitarroker  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjokazooie wrote:
I also have videos of Mandatory Suicide (missing about 10 seconds of the intro) and all of Hell Awaits, so if you want to see them I can put them on Youtube.

Those would be awesome to see, I say go ahead.

Has anyone heard Evoken's Quietus? Really atmospheric funeral doom metal, I'm absolutely loving it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dOFLcQ1BE8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisismyname0 wrote:
So has anyone heard of the band Electrocution's album Inside the Unreal. It's really growing on me and have been enjoying it for a few months now. Anyone got any recommendations that have the same old school DM approach?

Obscure Italian Death Metal and I'm not the one bringing it up?

Seriously though, nice find. There's another band from Italy with the same name, so don't get confused if you find that one thinking it'll be of the same quality. I'd suggest first looking for albums that came out during or before Inside The Unreal (1993), and check shit from every country.

When the Death Metal movement was in full swing, tons of high quality bands got shuffled into obscurity due to being signed on a small foreign label. It's a lot of work but you find a lot of gems.

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
banjokazooie  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are your thoughts on all this Anthrax debauchery? I wasn't a Dan Nelson fan, so I'm somewhat glad that he's out, but I still want to at the very least hear this new album. For me, the best case scenario in this one (barring a Joey Belladonna return), would be to have John Bush come back and re-record Nelson's vocals, as I'm a fan of John Bush. I thought the rerecords they did with him on Anthrology were very high quality, even if their studio work with him wasn't so good. I'm a huge fan of old school Spreading the Disease through Persistence of Time 'thrax, so I really hope they can pull this together.

Progress: 20/42, Last: Love Bites (So Do I) (9th ever FC cross-platform!)

Best FCs-
FCPREMIX, TtL CoD, CoP, NotB (GH3), RtL, Wasted Years, Peace Sells (RB)
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megadeth's new song was sickk =)

i can't wait to see children of bodom on 9/20 then all that remains two days later on the 22nd, atr was awesome when i saw them at mayhem, and i got to meet them =D

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
I listened to a song or two from all the Mastodon albums and a few more on YouTube. Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye, I'm just not into. Leviathan was boring and cheesy . Remission was the best so far. It was interesting in some ways, but in other ways it was still pretty boring. I'm liking Lifesblood for the most part. I might decide to get that album. I can understand why guitarroker only likes Remission.

There's your problem. You can't just sample or taste the album, you have to eat it all up. Remission is the only song that isn't a concept album. There are many songs that would otherwise be called filler if you didn't know where the actually fit in.
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo wrote:
There's your problem. You can't just sample or taste the album, you have to eat it all up. Remission is the only song that isn't a concept album. There are many songs that would otherwise be called filler if you didn't know where the actually fit in.

Shat. I'll have to wait until I have nothing else to listen to, because I can't normally focus on a metal album all the way through.
buttfaceninja  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im seeing Mastodon and Dethklok in Columbus in October and im beyond excited. This will be my first metal concert since Megadeth two years ago so it will be an experience for me.

Im also not really familiar with High on Fire or Converge so can anybody recommend some stuff from them?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Converge is an extremely early metalcore band -- I recommend Jane Doe, but Nixxin would probably recommend No Heroes. They are bound to play mostly from those albums -- No Heroes is their latest and Jane Doe is their most successful album. I've never listened to High on Fire.
NixxiN  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
Converge is an extremely early metalcore band -- I recommend Jane Doe, but Nixxin would probably recommend No Heroes. They are bound to play mostly from those albums -- No Heroes is their latest and Jane Doe is their most successful album. I've never listened to High on Fire.

I actually only know of Converge, but I'm checking them out right now. After a quick search I found most of their stuff along with some Brutal Truth shit I don't have yet.

tornintwo, tell these guys about High On Fire.

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
iggnsthe  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, will be attending a Mastodon/Dethklok concert this October, and while I'm sure it will be a great show, I'm really excited for this January. Nile is playing a show on the 24th along with Krisiun, Immolation, Dreaming Dead and Abigail Williams. All in all it looks to be a pretty awesome show, and while Abigail Williams might not be my favorite band I'm sure the rest of the bands will be awesome. Especially Nile and Immolation .

My favorite thread ever.
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High On Fire is a stoner metal band that takes more influence from Eyehategod and Melvins than from Kyuss. Singer/guitarist Matt Pike was also a member of stoner metal legends Sleep. This one snippet from a review on MA sums them up perfectly. If you're looking for an album, get their latest, Death Is This Communion.

Quote:
It's too fast to properly be doom, not fierce enough to be thrash, too sludgy to be traditional heavy metal (in the vein of Motörhead), but too rocking to be sludge/stoner metal. High On Fire sits somewhere in this nebulous, not-really-defined realm where they lack any notable qualities to push them into a specific genre

PS. When this thread gets locked for being too long (again), anyone is welcome to make a new thread, whoever that may be.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Heroes is my favorite Converge album. Heartache, Vengeance, and Plagues are all amazing songs.

I tried brutal truth, and didn't like it at all.

High on Fire is a band made for smaller stages, where the energy really comes out.
Fishmoose345  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered this band, Empyrium, and they sound a lot like Agalloch to me, vocals just sound different. I downloaded their album Songs of Moors and Misty Fields off of a recommendation from a friend and I'm really liking it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_VNAmmlsAo Probably my favorite song on the album so far, only listened to it once through though on kind of a low volume because I was doing homework. Still though, check them out.
Subrick  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One little thing about No Heroes that was the only hangup I had with the album: the vocals are kinda weird sounding. It's kinda hard to describe the vocals. You'll hafta listen to the album to get what I mean.

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick
http://subrick.blip.tv
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Subrick/107321395984265?ref=ts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: None yet PSN Name: None yet
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 99 of 100

Jump to: