ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Metal Thread Mark II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdawg95  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say that I was introduced to metal through Dream Theater and Megadeth. Those two really made me love metal, and from there I jumped head first into bands like All That Remains, Atreyu, As I Lay Dying and Black Dahlia Murder, among others. Now metal is my favorite genre.

This was just last year, so cut me some slack with my relatively small metal knowledge.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bwakaflocka
Subrick  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegibbonator wrote:
tornintwo wrote:
Subrick wrote:
turbo wrote:

It kind of sucks to see the common route among new metal listeners.

What sucks?

The fact that most people get into metal through metalcore or nu-metal like Slipknot, Disturbed, Trivium, A7X, Deftones etc.

Why would it matter how people get into metal? They're still into metal, are they not? ;)

Many very elite metalheads don't consider nu metal and metalcore to be "real metal", and despise bands such as those torin posted of. They would think it would be better for someone to get into metal through Maiden or Priest instead of Slipknot or Korn and want them to never find out about such bands. I personally hate this kind of elitlism; it's all metal, no matter what (except the morons who compare emo bands like The Used to Death. Ughh).

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick
http://subrick.blip.tv
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Subrick/107321395984265?ref=ts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: None yet PSN Name: None yet
turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subrick wrote:
turbo wrote:

Thanks to my parents, I've been listening to metal since the day I was born! Even before then.

How? We're you're parents metal musicians?

Just because it's metal doesn't mean its good :P
My parents grew up IN the grunge scene. My dad's roommate taught the guitarist of Alice in Chains how to play. Both my parents saw Nirvana in a dorm party because Nirvana happened to be there. My dad skated with the singer and drummer for Mudhoney. Their opinions on the grunge bands REALLY differ from people outside the grunge scene. They don't care for Nirvana, but everyone thinks Nirvana is the greatest grunge band ever. My dad doesn't like Alice in Chains. Enough of this blabble though, if you'd like me to continue, ask.

I saw Jane's Addiction when I was 1-2. Not that I remember it though. My dad would play Queensryche in the car on the way to school. I *heard* Bad Brains in my mother's tummy!

As for nu-metal and metalcore... I don't like calling nu-metal 'metal,' because it's Hard Rock. Most of the bands don't really fit into any metal genre other than nu-metal. I don't like metalcore generally because of the people it attracts, the artists themselves (why do they all have to look scenester?), and the themes. Not to mention the cheesy names for everything. There is a good cheese, and a bad cheese. I also despise the chug chug breakdowns, and pretty much every song has to get sissy (or as some people like to call it, "melodic"). I just hate it :\

This is just a thing I do, but I like to consider that there is a difference between 'Hardcore Metal,' and 'Metalcore'. Converge falls under Hardcore Metal
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subrick wrote:
thegibbonator wrote:
tornintwo wrote:
Subrick wrote:
turbo wrote:

It kind of sucks to see the common route among new metal listeners.

What sucks?

The fact that most people get into metal through metalcore or nu-metal like Slipknot, Disturbed, Trivium, A7X, Deftones etc.

Why would it matter how people get into metal? They're still into metal, are they not? ;)

Many very elite metalheads don't consider nu metal and metalcore to be "real metal", and despise bands such as those torin posted of. They would think it would be better for someone to get into metal through Maiden or Priest instead of Slipknot or Korn and want them to never find out about such bands. I personally hate this kind of elitlism; it's all metal, no matter what (except the morons who compare emo bands like The Used to Death. Ughh).

Well that was mostly turbo's disapproval towards people who get into metal that way. I don't really care how people come to listen to metal, as long as they do (look at this, its like we're talking about a religion here) and if they still listen to those kinds of bands, then more power to them. I know I still listen to Green Day and Deftones but I would never talk about them in here. While it is preferrable that people get into metal through Metallica, Maiden etc, any method will lead you there really and its not realistic anymore with the popularity that those other bands receive. But I digress, its getting hard to write this as well as I would like to..

bdawg95 wrote:
I can say that I was introduced to metal through Dream Theater and Megadeth. Those two really made me love metal, and from there I jumped head first into bands like All That Remains, Atreyu, As I Lay Dying and Black Dahlia Murder, among others. Now metal is my favorite genre.

This was just last year, so cut me some slack with my relatively small metal knowledge.

That seems a little bit like the opposite of what most people do and I hope bands like those 3 aren't the only ones you listen to.

Steering towards more metal things, does anyone listen to ...And Oceans? One of my friends was telling me about them and they seemed pretty good. Then I listened to a song from their first album on youtube and I was blown away. They are one of the best symphonic death metal bands I have heard.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
bdawg95  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:
bdawg95 wrote:

That seems a little bit like the opposite of what most people do and I hope bands like those 3 aren't the only ones you listen to.

Oh no. But a lot of my music comes from Pandora so I"m not all to sure what I'm listening to, but I like it.

EDIT: Also, all metal that I've heard I like, no matter what genre.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bwakaflocka
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo wrote:
Converge falls under Hardcore Metal

I used to describe what I listen to as Metalcore (besides the grunge and "indie"). Then I realized that I really didn't listen to that much. A lot of what I listen to is straight up Post-Hardcore and Modern Hardcore. Modern Hardcore doesn't really fit those reasons you listed, turbo, so I think you'd find it to be much more respectable if you don't already. There are also the Metalcore bands that don't have scene tendencies and attract a better crowd. Every Time I Die, anyone? I mean, yes, Keith Buckley has his clean singing moments, but the band doesn't take themselves that seriously so I can't see the trouble.

I've grown to ignore the scenes that bands attract. Once I did that I was able to get into The Devil Wears Prada. I don't really like the clean signing but I get over it because the rest is delicious.

To anyone here looking for Metalcore that lacks the scene and the stupid clean vocals, I would suggest Norma Jean's first album, Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child. It is filled with chugga chugga, so that may turn some of you guys off, but I think it's genius so just take my word. ;)

I'm done mentioning metalcore in this thread for another 25 pages.
Zerstörer  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify here, it's the shitty current form of metalcore you're talking about right? I mean, I'm mostly a sludge/death/black/doom kind of guy, but if I can't mention Botch, Coalesce, Converge, and Candiria, that's bonk

EDIT: This is addressed at the OP, btw.

they're people who don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, and are complete douches about it
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LambchopsMcAdoo
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zerstörer wrote:
Just to clarify here, it's the shitty current form of metalcore you're talking about right? I mean, I'm mostly a sludge/death/black/doom kind of guy, but if I can't mention Botch, Coalesce, Converge, and Candiria, that's bonk

EDIT: This is addressed at the OP, btw.

It is mostly the scence metalcore bands I was referring to in the OP and throughout the thread so far. I like Botch, and Converge are pretty good, never heard the other 2. Those are the kinds of bands that are *to me* real metalcore that truly merge hardcore with metal. I also really like Zao who don't follow traditional metalcore or modern metalcore songwriting but I don't mention them here because they're pretty hardcore based. I mean I like hardcore and all, but this is a metal thread so I keep my trap shut.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
AxenRay  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was first getting into metal about 7 or so years ago. The first bands I listened to included Amon Amarth, Meshuggah, Opeth, Vader, Dream Theater, Andromeda, Nightwish, Evergrey, Symphony X, and probably some others I am forgetting right now. The memories...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photobucket

Just ordered this close to an hour ago. I need to find a case for it but the official website to get the cases that fit this model is gone. I'll have to search elsewhere. I'm very excited to finally pick up guitar.

Also, I got Mayhem's European Legions and 3 Inches Of Blood's Advance And Vanquish for free (technically).

And to continue on the roots of our taste in music: I can give full credit to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. My mom tried to get me into AC/DC and actually bought me Ozzy's Blizzard Of Ozz. I remember instantly liking Crazy Train but thought "that one song" from Vice City (now known as Bark At The Moon) was better. I bought the Vice City soundtrack CD and had my first dose of Slayer, Megadeth, Motley Crue, Priest, and Maiden on a daily basis. I also got into Tesla and Alcatrazz this way.

After that I was on my own. I found Dark Angel on accident. Dark Angel's Darkness Descends was incorrectly labeled as a Slayer song on Limewire. I also dug deep into lesser-known bands because the only bands my friends listened to were the Big Four and Pantera. Breaking away from them led me to Death, Realm, Razor, Toxik, and Celtic Frost. The rest of this story can be found directly after my first post in The Metal Thread.

Frozen is Death, but I cannot die.

Delorean Progress: Still Searching
Cyberwaste  

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I caved in and got last.fm...
http://www.last.fm/user/CyberwasteSH

And I do wish to propose a question. If you hear metal songs on mainstream radio, does it irritate you at all if everyone starts to treat the band like gods because of a said song?

I personally haven't had it happen, but I'm just curious.

EDIT:
thegibbonator wrote:
Also, I know I'm a few days late with saying this, but... Wrath is a fucking AWESOME album.

Here here!

And as for the whole getting into metal, my best friend is the biggest fan of Pantera, so he kept putting that sort of music through me, along with the usual suspects at the time (Metallica, Slipknot, Slayer etc) and eventually, it just sort of grew on me.

And honestly, I'm glad it happened.

EDIT II: Speaking of Wrath, and my best friend, he went to see LoG in Sydney at a surprise show. And he got something signed for me. A Wrath CD inside sleve. What a champ.

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

Last edited by Cyberwaste on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:10 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
bdawg95  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberwaste wrote:
Yeah I caved in and got last.fm...
http://www.last.fm/user/CyberwasteSH

And I do wish to propose a question. If you hear metal songs on mainstream radio, does it irritate you at all if everyone starts to treat the band like gods because of a said song?

I personally haven't had it happen, but I'm just curious.

Lol cyber. :P

I only mind it when it happens from a game. "OMG METALLICA I LOVE THEM" after hearing One annoys the hell out of me. But it's never happened in here because Atlanta is full of rap stations.
turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D0m0omod wrote:
Realm, Razor

If you're starting to hit the oldschool thrash, don't miss out on Evil Dead and Uncle Slam

I've got a bunch of oldschool thrash albums I need to listen to, I'll let you know if any of them are good.
mattyboy11  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D0m0omod wrote:
Vio-Lence: Eternal Nightmare (Megaforce rerelease)
The original album contains 7 relentless songs that really set Vio-Lence above most bands at the time. In addition to this great album, you get a bonus disc containing 12 live tracks recorded in 2001. I found my copy at an FYE store for under $20.

Exhorder: Slaughter In The Vatican/The Law (Two From The Vault series)
You'll probably think this band sounds a lot like Pantera, but Exhorder is heavier, faster, and more Thrash than Pantera. These albums were recently rereleased on their own (which is good as the originals were running pretty high in cost) but each of the new ones cost about the same as this 2-in-1. This is also under $20.

Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose Of Death
I got my copy of this at FYE but I'm now seeing them at Best Buy, so availability shouldn't be a problem. This band kills, it really does. Future Shock and Feedback, Blood, And Distortion are my favorite cuts off this disc, but they all usually find their way on a playlist of mine. Again, great music here for a decent price.

From the old thread.

Thanks for the suggestions, I actually heard a Toxic Holocaust song on the Music Choice Metal Channel on TV the other day and I liked the sound of it so I'm definitely checking that one out. I've heard good things about the other two as well. Thanks again.

YouTube Account
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberwaste wrote:

Not really. Since that never really happens <_<

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 3 of 100

Jump to: