ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Tips for moderating the comet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam-H  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Tips for moderating the comet? Reply with quote

I'm getting three and four stars on expert at the moment on songs that I feel relatively comfortable with, but am forever breaking my multiplier runs with small mid-phrase jumps, where the comet leaps beyond just a few notes with what seems to me to be only a moderate change in pitch.

I think that I'm singing in tune with the vocalist, but my attempts to moderate the pitch to hit these notes regularly are really floundering.

A couple of examples being Monsoon; "Til' the end of time, Where the rain won't hurt...", and Rooftops; "Never gonna regret, watching every sunset, listen to your heart beat, all the love that we felt..."

Are there any tricks, or is it practice-practice-practice that might help?
squall1729  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you constantly either low or high, or is it a mix of both?

The former is much easier to fix - for instance, I'm usually a tiny bit flat for most of Dammit if I sing at what I should be the pitch, so instead I intentionally hit a bit higher and that seems to work ok.

Otherwise, some people (me included) have found that changing the lag when singing helps, or optionally changing pitch a bit before you think you have to, thereby giving yourself more time to get the comet in the right spot.

PS3 GHWT player - PSN = sql_lall
Don't tell me to Learn-to-Play-a-Real-Guitar!
SneakingZonia  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Softly up till "end" Reply with quote

If you sing with a soft voice, it helps I think. Earlier I had a tendency to kind of "scream out" when the pitches rise like it does in these situations you described on the exact same places. I found the pitches was not quite as high as I thought it was so when I took control over my voice like that I started to hit those

Also to calibrate the lag so that you are more in tune is a good idea, I have a hd-tv and calibrated the audio to about 55ms when I started to sing on expert, that helped a lot as well.
Cam-H  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squall1729 and SneakingZonia,

Thank you both for your replies:

I've previously attempted recalibrating the lag, but unfortunately it made things worse! I'm playing the game on an old (non-flatscreen) television, and haven't had the lag issues frequently referred to. I'll give it another shot nonetheless as per your advice. We're getting a 52" LCD in a couple of months, and I'm curious how things will change with the game.

The pitch problem refers to both going up and down a few notes. I don't think that it's the timing of the note change, but the excessive leap of the comet. The high 'doo's in Toy Boy is another example where I can keep the comet in the tunnel with small incremental tweaks in pitch where necessary, but the high notes in the string often cause problems.

Thanks also for the suggestion on the soft voice. My volume fluctuates a lot - probably varies on the song itself (I just can't bring myself to sing Mountain Song softly!), how warmed up and hydrated my voice is, and general confidence with the song. As I'm singing within a baritone-ish range, singing too softly has occasionally caused the game to not register my voice at all. With your (SneakingZonia's) success with it though, it sounds like it's something I've got to work on.

Thanks again to you both for your comments and suggestions.
Romanczuk  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can freak out when you make some sounds. The doos in Toy Boy is a great example. It just hates the sound of things like Ds and Ks because they're more of a strike with no real pitch. You might hit it really well if you forgo singing words and just go UuuuuuuuuuUUUuuuuuuuuuuUUuu...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Cam-H  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanczuk,

Thanks for that tip ... hard to believe, but for a while I was doing the opposite! Concerned that the mic' wasn't picking up some soft tones at the start of phrases, I would sing a word with a hard syllable. I'll try your suggestion. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: