ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Proposed new General Chat rules
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Thread Hall of Fame -> ScoreHero Staff (April Fools' 2009)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EWiggen  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Proposed new General Chat rules Reply with quote

New rules:

1. General chat is not a place to complain about your personal life. Therefore, no references to your own personal life should be made, whether talking about past experiences, current events, or future goals.

2. General chat is not a place to talk about the news. There are plenty of other sites where you can discuss and comment on news, such as digg, reddit, and others. Therefore, any articles discussing the news are now disallowed. This includes talking about anything on television, whether it be tv shows or sports events.

3. General chat is not a place for random music discussion. Time and time again, we have been plagued with people discussing the same topic, asking what bands are good, etc. This stops right now. From now on, no music discussion whatsoever is allowed.

4. General chat is not a place for academia. We are not meant for homework help, or discussion of academic topics. Therefore, no discussion pertaining to any topics that you might discuss in a classroom is allowed.

5. General chat is not a place for arguing or flaming. Therefore, no discussion of potentially controversial topics is allowed. If you have an opinion, keep it to yourself. If it is somehow possible to make your topic controversial in any way, do not post it.

All other rules are still in effect: No poll threads, and above all, don't be stupid. Thank you.
qirex  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of these, but I think music discussion has a place here. A decent chunk of our user base are (presumably) music lovers, and I personally have stumbled across some good bands I wouldn't have otherwise been introduced to.

Rule #1 may be a bit too harsh, too. I know there's a lot of drama that we couldn't give two shits about, but it seems a bit over the top.

2/4/and 5 I'm all for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, man, I spend more time in general chat than most of the other mods put together. I spent a lot of time compiling this list, and I like it how it stands. I think it's time to say enough is enough. The personal references thing I could be a bit lenient on- more of a guideline- but the music crap discussion? I'm pretty sick of it, and I think most of our *intelligent* userbase is too.

Maybe if you spent a little more time in general chat, you'd understand.
Sully  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard, we were getting rid of General Chat. Did I miss something?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
Ouzo  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, calm down EW. We all know I'm the most prolific mod on General Chat anyway.

Anyway, I agree with every thing on the list. Except just about all of it. Did you compile this list while on 'shrooms? Any idiot can write a list of rules, it takes supreme judgment and skill to write a really great list. Why don't you just delete this thread and start over?

Oh, and qirex, grow a pair, will ya?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're all kidding. Especially you, Ouzo. No need to get all high and mighty. I seem to recall being made a moderator a long time before you were.

Seriously, though, I think this set of rules will clean up most of General Chat. It's been needing a revamp for a while, and this will take care of it. I put a lot of effort into these rules, and I intend to enforce them- whether you like it or not.
Ouzo  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, use your seniority when you're losing an argument. Did you read the Bill O'Reilly handbook for winning arguments?

As for the rules, you can implement them all you want, but I will not enforce them. You can moderate the forum all by yourself for all I care.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will, thanks; it's not like you'll be missed.
rkcr  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
The last I heard, we were getting rid of General Chat. Did I miss something?

I think you misunderstood; we're rotating which side of the site we put General Chat on. Whenever JC gets around to it he's going to move all non-GH forums to the RB side of the site, and 6 months later we will move it back to the GH side. It's like the General category will be the kids of divorced parents.

EWiggen wrote:
I put a lot of effort into these rules, and I intend to enforce them- whether you like it or not.

You, enforcing rules? That'd be a first.

It's like a fucking ghost town in GC these days, and I'm the lone sheriff.
socrstopr  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I don't spend a ton of time there, so I won't even jump into this argument (although I support ewiggen's ideas), but I feel this is a good place for me to bring up some rules I'd like to start enforcing across the entire forums.

The following things are, in my opinion, first offense ban-able:

1. Posts with less than five words. Seriously, I'm sick of this crap, and it falls under the 'post because you have something to say, not because you have to say something'.

2. Posts with more than 5 emoticons (excluding freticons), unless the post is abnormally long, this can be judged a the time.

3. inb4, lrn2, lulz, lawl, and all the other crap I can't think of at this time that might belong here. I don't need to read posts that could be written by 6 year olds in an AIM chat room.

4. Any form of insult directed at any other user of our site.

If you guys have any further suggestions, that'd be great, I'd really like to start tearing up these forums and removing the garbage that's there, in the spirit of Riz.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

socrstopr wrote:

4. Any form of insult directed at any other user of our site.

Looks like we can start by replacing a chunk of our staff to me.
qirex  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some DB queries on locked/trashed threads from GC, and dumped the info here:

http://wiki.scorehero.com/GenChatStats

as you can see, whether anyone thinks so or not, it's pretty well evenly split among most of hte staff.. Granted, I didn't take into account which locks/trashes were the result from a user-generated report, and which were because someone was actively browsing GC, but seriously, guys (and girl), stop with the e-peen crap (e-vag crap).

I only brought it up the points I did because, as one of the more recent mods, I still have a bit of "user" in me, and while the SITE may exist because of the hard work of the staff, the COMMUNIty exists because of the users. And if I was Joe Dragonforce, I'd be a bit miffed by the harshness of the new rules.

(before you go thinking I actually give a shit about people all of a sudden, remember that No community = = no ad revenue = no more free stuff for any of us.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouzo's a girl?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
EWiggen  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad. I'm enforcing them anyway.

New rules are scheduled to be posted ASAP.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wtf? Please stop arguing. How are we supposed to enforce a set of rules that we can't even follow amongst ourselves?

I think the proposed rules get the point across well, but are definitely more on the harsh side. Now let's hear some constructive criticism and make GC a better place!

Sully wrote:
Ouzo's a girl?

Please.. that fact has nothing to do with this conversation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Thread Hall of Fame -> ScoreHero Staff (April Fools' 2009) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: