ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
New to DDR...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Dance Dance Revolution
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketMan  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: New to DDR... Reply with quote

Picked up DDR SuperNova a few days ago. I like it....just playing some of the Easy stuff, but have moved up to Basic. I find it alot more fun...ANYWAY...

What I was wondering is if there is any 'advanced' techniques that I should try to pick up on this early in my learning??? (Like Alt. Strumming in GH)

Mainly that was my only question so far. Any other tips/tricks would be nice to know...if there is any.

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now? Do NOT keep one foot always in the center. Get used to always keeping both feet on the arrows and shifting accordingly.
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one, similar to alt strumming:

Just like it's a bad idea to strum in one direction, it's a bad idea to overuse one foot. Try to alternate feet with each step, because when things become fast, you don't have time to double tap with a foot and need to be able to constantly alternate between feet without thinking.
BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really a personal thing, but you know how a lot of people hang on to a bar at the arcades? I hate that. Try to play hands free at all times and focus on balance. If you're a bar rapists, all your accomplishments will be shot down by some idiot saying "ya, but you used the bar, faggot"

It's really your call on that.

Other tips... It looks like your starting slow. That's good. Don't think that because you've FC'd Centerfold that you can go right to FAXX, because you can't.

As with any sport, it helps to watch other people play. YouTube has lots of really good players like admstyles and bigfootkevin.

Set goals. Make a goal to FC a certain song, or even AAA a song. Once you get bored, try using some speed mods or alterations, etc.

Oh, and have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: UncleGummers
DemonHybrid  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BizCasFri wrote:

Oh, and have fun!

I can't put enough emphasis on this. If you aren't having fun, it's time to do something else or give it a break.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DemonHybrid23
Matt  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be afraid to face sideways (left foot on down, right foot on left, for example).

Also, if you want to get better, try playing a custom nonstop course (Supernova has Nonstop, if I recall), and make it as long as you can. If you beat it, swap out the easier songs for harder ones. The name of the game later on really is pure stamina.
RocketMan  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!!!

I've been gone all weekend...but cant wait to try them out.
I kinda figured out the 'stay off the center' by myself (playing basic) just to fast to get back. Also, just for the fun of it...I tried some Expert songs...LMAO, but I got to see what I'm in for!!! Cant wait

Again...THANKS!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, try and learn crossovers as early as possible. They will be a HUGE pain later on if you don't learn them now.

And a cross over is like so:
<
V
>

Say something similair to that pattern comes up. DO NOT DO this:

Left foot- Left,
Right foot- Down, right

As this is called (IIRC- been a while since I played ddr or itg) double-stepping. It wastes alot of stamina doing this, and can be easier done by doing:
Left Foot- Left
Right foot- Down
Turn 90 degrees (wheteher on your toes or flat foot) and then hit right with your left foot.

Sorry if this sounds confusing >_<

On a side note- First post! WOO!
BreakManX  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh; I always referred to that as the 'Tard Jog. You saw it a lot in songs like Boom Boom Dollar KOGG3 way back in the day.

I haven't played SuperNOVA yet, so I don't really know, but chances are it has a "Training" mode or some-odd in it, right? I'd actually highly recommend going through the Training mode completely; once you're accustomed to the button locations, this gives you a bit of freedom to try out new stuff without worrying about your ranking or getting it right and risking failing the song. Like having a ^ < V > sequence coming at you, and being able to spin in a circle and nail it without breaking combo.

At the rate I post, I'll attain Freebird status by the year 2014.
gx1010  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always see what is coming up. If you have the chance to see the arrows that are going to come at you then prepare your self.

For example: Let's say a combination like this is about to come up soon: Left, Down, Up. Then you would you would prepare your self by starting in a position that make you play parts like that well like doing this: left: left foot, down: right foot, up: Left foot. I'm really bad with instructions but I hoped this helped.
xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the biggest things you can do to get better is turn your body. If you have to play two notes, up and right, turn your body so its facing the center of the up and right arrows, and so forth. It makes doing the really tricky runs a lot easier (though you're not there yet). Have fun! If you feel like you need a break, take one, I used to play to the point of utter exhaustion, which has led me to quit. Sad, it really is.

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
Jason2890  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BizCasFri wrote:
This is really a personal thing, but you know how a lot of people hang on to a bar at the arcades? I hate that. Try to play hands free at all times and focus on balance. If you're a bar rapists, all your accomplishments will be shot down by some idiot saying "ya, but you used the bar, faggot"

I'm very late on this, but don't listen to this advice. Use the bar if you want. All of the best players in the world use the bar, and the only people that look down upon it are people that aren't very good at the game in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Dance Dance Revolution All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: