ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
PS2/Wii vocals vs. 360/PS3 vocals: Differences?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeusExProcella  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think13 wrote:
The point I'm trying to make is that we know that Guitar scores aren't favored for one system over another. That means that the Guitar scores reflect the mix of people playing the game at a high level fairly accurately. Since the mix of people in the Guitar top 25 closely resembles the people in the Vocal top 25, it looks like there isn't a huge advantage toward Wii/PS2.

You seem to be missing the point. The point isn't about ranking. The point is about the actual core gameplay. It is highly likely that the vocal system is more lenient on Wii and PS2 judging from how many people have fc'd Stone Cold Crazy. All Stone Cold Crazy fcs have been achieved on PS2 or Wii.

Do you REALLY think that someone wouldn't have got it yet on 360 or PS3 if there are MORE people trying? The logical conclusion is that the 360 and PS3 are stricter.

You COULD argue that the better vocalists are on Wii and PS2 but that seems like a biased stretch.

Last edited by DeusExProcella on Fri May 15, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Consanguinity Wii Friend Code: 519807246797
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think13 wrote:
The point I'm trying to make is that we know that Guitar scores aren't favored for one system over another. That means that the Guitar scores reflect the mix of people playing the game at a high level fairly accurately. Since the mix of people in the Guitar top 25 closely resembles the people in the Vocal top 25, it looks like there isn't a huge advantage toward Wii/PS2.

I get your point about the amount of Wii/PS2 players versus 360/PS3, but your argument that there is "no advantage" for guitar is based on the knowledge that "the guitar engine is the same on all systems." If, say, the timing window was proven to be tighter on another system, that would be important to the accuracy of cross-platform ranks. And one system WOULD have an advantage over another.

THAT'S what this thread is for. I'm not looking at the ranks on SH to make these judgments. I want hard evidence as much as you do. What I want to know is if the actual engine for detecting pitch is less picky on Wii and PS2. That's extremely important if it is.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
boss1592  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... has stone cold crazy not been FCd on 360 then? soz that this has frig all to do with the topic lol

Last edited by boss1592 on Sun May 17, 2009 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
MisguidedGirl  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to try vox on the PS3 vs the Wii next weekend. I think we're going to have a party & if we do, my buddy will bring his PS3. Both of us have GHWT so I can try this out. If there's any particular songs or specific way this should be done, let me know.
BOYOBOYY  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the World Tour full game FC for the 360. The last song I had left to do was Stranglehold (my previous best was -1). My career score is over 18 million. Or it would be if my saved progress had not been corrupted and I had had to delete it and start over again

It's going to take a while to upload every single picture I took.
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played 360 GHM this weekend. Now, it could've been the environment, since I played on a SD TV less than half the size of what I play on on Wii, with waaaay more background noise. But, I had a lot of trouble. Well, I didn't do as well as I do on Wii. I played Demon Cleaner, since I can nearly FC that, there's only phrase I have just a little bit hitting, and I did awfully. Mostly solids. It seemed like it required a higher percent of notes hit to maintain combo. It also seemed like the sensitivity was lower. I frequently found myself singing the correct pitch but not loudly enough to be picked up, and on Wii I've never sung terribly loudly. I played alot of songs, but I'm not as consistent on those, so any fuckups could be my own inability.

So, I think 360 requires more volume and more accuracy than Wii, though my environment could've messed me up. The fact that the TV was so crappy would explain not hitting pitches, if I couldn't tell that I was off a little. Background noise could've been interfering, too.

Regarding the PS3, hailz, lag? Would you have noticed?A slight lag on SCC would be pretty catastrophic, score wise.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set up and ran an experiment to test this today, but I will need someone else's help to repeat my experiment on other platforms.

I started by picking a test song. I wanted a song which began with a long, constant note which would be easy to test. I chose Stillborn. Then I found a tone generator (siggen, a signal generator for linux) which can generate accurate tones at varying frequencies.

This was my test setup:
Nintendo Wii
Official Guitar Hero Microphone
Sound Card: Intel 82801BA-ICH2

This was my testing procedure:
1. Pick the tone to test
2. Set up siggen to produce a sine wave tone in that frequency
3. Start Stillborn
4. Hold the microphone to my computer speakers
5. Record whether the tone was accepted by the game for the very first vocal note.

Here are the results:
The acceptable frequency range for the first note of Stillborn on the Wii is 387-446Hz.

If someone else with a PS2, PS3 or 360 could use this same procedure with their system, we can get a very accurate assessment of engine leniency.

I installed siggen on linux from the repositories using
Code:
sudo apt-get install siggen

Windows users could try using this software: http://www.world-voices.com/software/nchtone.html, however I have not used it.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xbox 360
Logitech Vantage Microphone
Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 (Hope I have the right thing here, if I haven't then let me know)
NCH Tone Generator

Accepted range for the first note of Stillborn for me is 398-433hZ

Already Xbox 360 appears to be very strict compared to the Wii.

Edit: It's probably important to note that the first note is G# which has a frequency of 415.30hz (G#4/Ab4)
So for the Xbox 360 (well,just for me so far)you can be off by approximately 17.5Hz either way (17.7 + 17.3 / 2).
For the Wii you can be off by approximately 29.5Hz either way (28.3+30.7 /2).
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the above info guys, it's good to have something more solid to go off of.

Today I rented the PS2 version of GHM, and saying its "easier" would be a ridiculous statement.

Yes, the game mechanic itself is more forgiving. I was getting excellents where I shouldn't have been (had I been playing on 360).

HOWEVER, making the comet go through the goddamn tubes is the stupid part. dramacomic gave me some tips which helped, but didn't skyrocket me to a Stone Cold Crazy FC like I thought it would. The comet basically jumps around like crazy constantly, even when I'm holding a steady pitch.

As you can imagine, this is absolutely infuriating! I tried playing SCC and I could only barely 5* it (the freeforms are extremely broken, no doubt there). I got Excellent on some of the REALLY stupid phrases at the end, but I got a Rough on every single "Stone cold crazy you know."

Frustrated, I took it into practice and discovered that... it was charted differently???? That's right! I have to sing DIFFERENT PITCHES than on 360 to hit any part of "Stone cold crazy, you know" on the PS2! I know I'm not some great IRL singer, but I'm pretty sure I've got this song down on 360, well enough to know if I'm singing it right or not. The fact that I have to sing something different to hit it depending on the system I'm playing is SO bizarre (by the way, I still haven't excellent'd that phrase)!

I'm hoping this discovery will shed some light on some of this... seeing as how I'm one of very few people who would notice that the pitches on "stone cold crazy you know" varied from system to system. What if some of this difference in difficulty is actually coming from the fact that some of the ACTUAL PITCHES are charted differently? Or maybe I'm just insane.

What I really need is for someone who can destroy the PS2 version to make a video of a SCC FC. I need to listen to how in god's name you do it, because I can't hit the same phrases singing it the way I do on 360 (and as you can see from my video, I know how to hit most of the phrases on 360...)

Is the comet so frantic and jumpy on the Wii version too? That information would be useful as well.

I'm done for the night... this is too annoying!

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
HOWEVER, making the comet go through the goddamn tubes is the stupid part. dramacomic gave me some tips which helped, but didn't skyrocket me to a Stone Cold Crazy FC like I thought it would. The comet basically jumps around like crazy constantly, even when I'm holding a steady pitch.

Is the comet so frantic and jumpy on the Wii version too? That information would be useful as well.
Don't even get me started. This "Jumpy" stuff is UBER annoying. Knowing that it's on PS2 too, makes me infuriated. ESPECIALLY ON GH:M WHERE IT RARELY HAPPENS ON WII just to add. This is why(Not to be mean or anything) I stray to RB for Wii/PS2.
So, in all...
-Wii GH:WT Jumpy?:Yessir
-Wii GH:M Jumpy: Not really
think13  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOYOBOYY wrote:
Xbox 360
Logitech Vantage Microphone
Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 (Hope I have the right thing here, if I haven't then let me know)
NCH Tone Generator

Accepted range for the first note of Stillborn for me is 398-433hZ

Already Xbox 360 appears to be very strict compared to the Wii.

Edit: It's probably important to note that the first note is G# which has a frequency of 415.30hz (G#4/Ab4)
So for the Xbox 360 (well,just for me so far)you can be off by approximately 17.5Hz either way (17.7 + 17.3 / 2).
For the Wii you can be off by approximately 29.5Hz either way (28.3+30.7 /2).

Wow, this is remarkable. I don't think the sound card will really make a difference, I just included it to be complete - don't worry about that too much. I also have a Logitech microphone - I will do the test again using that one, though I doubt it will make that large of a difference.

A couple of other things which I thought of which could have a bearing on the results:
1. Speaker differences. I used fairly cheap speakers when I did it, though you would think the range would be smaller if the speakers weren't producing the sound correctly.
2. Waveform - did you use a sine wave? It could make a difference if some other waveform was used.

I'll redo the test with the Logitech microphone, and try varying the waveform, to see if that makes any difference.

Right now, there is strong evidence that there is a difference in engines between Wii and Xbox 360, based on what you gave us. It looks like the Wii is twice as generous in accepting pitches - enough of a difference to make multiplatform rankings useless.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my laptop speakers which are Harmon/Kardon. I would say my speakers are very good quality, especially for laptop speakers. I was able to produce a clear tone at all frequencies.

I did use sine wave; most others did not seem to register in the game when I tried them out.
think13  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeated the experiment with the Logitech microphone, and the results were exactly the same.

With the Logitech microphone, the accepted range for the first note of Stillborn on Wii is also 387-446Hz.

I also redid the experiment with multiple waveforms on both microphones, and the results were very similar.

I also eliminated another source of possible error by putting the TV on mute. This makes sure no audio from the game itself interferes with the results.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Stone Cold Crazy was recently FC'd by another PS2 user, and I'm going to buy GH:SH soon, I'd like to bring this topic up again. Does SH have the same difficulty differences? Are there actual charting differences like what Hailz seemed to experience with Stone Cold Crazy on the PS2?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, never mind.

Last edited by ace5993 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: