ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Game suggestion thread: PC Games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buttfaceninja  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
I need some kind of decent RPG game on the computer (where u can download it) OR on the xbox, I plan on transferring (if i can) my pre order from MW2 to Dragon Age: Origins. Game looks awesome.

ANy suggestions? Primarily games i can download from Steam and are relitively cheap.
Lost Odyssey is the only RPG ive played on the xbox that I truly enjoyed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll recommend Rise Of Nations. It's a fantastic RTS game that's been out since 2003. I'd like to think of it as a game of Risk where you not only try to advance throughout the world conquering countries and forming alliances, but you get to control the battles for the territories.

Also, +1 for ESPN NFL 2K5. Still play it to this day.

Oh, and GOD OF WAR.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Drifter1717
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up - I'll finally get around to revamping this tomorrow so all of everybody's changes in the last forever or so will finally be updated in the OP. Whew!

Also:

Sarg338 wrote:
I need some kind of decent RPG game on the computer (where u can download it) OR on the xbox, I plan on transferring (if i can) my pre order from MW2 to Dragon Age: Origins. Game looks awesome.

ANy suggestions? Primarily games i can download from Steam and are relitively cheap.

Mass Effect and KOTOR are good bets that fit into both of those categories. They're awesome games so if you haven't checked them out, I'd say look into those.
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update is up! Check out the new full list of recommendations on the front page - I've decided to upload an htm file of all current recommendations. This list also includes the platforms each game is on, and the users who voted for each game. This excel sheet this is located in is even more powerful, so I might post individual recommendation lists for each system in the future if this list grows ridiculously long (I can easily do this now, I couldn't before). It's also a lot more streamlined and I shouldn't make any mistakes with this list, as I will know exactly who I have down as recommending what. It also means that you guys can check out what you've recommended, which I imagine will be useful.

I've also decided to discount negative votes - after deliberating on this some more, I feel like that "unrecommending" games (so to speak) is not the goal of this thread. I've updated this in the QA section of the OP.

Thanks to all of those who have made recommendations -- there are nearly 200 recommended games so far, and 400 recommendations! Keep them coming.

Last edited by suspectfenster on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspectfenster wrote:
Just a heads up - I'll finally get around to revamping this tomorrow so all of everybody's changes in the last forever or so will finally be updated in the OP. Whew!

Also:

Sarg338 wrote:

Mass Effect and KOTOR are good bets that fit into both of those categories. They're awesome games so if you haven't checked them out, I'd say look into those.

ha, yea im on my 3rd run-through of Mass effect. Ive pre ordered Dragon Age: Origins (which is from Bioware) so hopefully it will hold me for a while (with its 80+ hours of gameplay), not to mention i just picked up Ikagura from the arcade, which will keep me playing it for a LONG time (or throw my controller in frustration XD)

And although its not out yet, id like to +1 Dragon Age: Origins (If i can). You mentioned 2 great RPG games from Bioware, and this game is made by them, so it should be great. If i can't, then ill wait until it comes out and post a formal review.

EDIT: Also, add me +1 to mass effect. As i said before, on my 3rd run through and not many games I've done that on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I realize I don't have votes in for Phantom Hourglass or any of the Mario and Luigi's, so I'll take the time now to do so.

I would like to nominate 'Splosion Man and Shadow Complex for the XBLA. This summer of arcade was awesome, and those titles stood out by far. 'Splosion Man is one of the funnest puzzle platformers out there, and the co-op was a blast; Shadow Complex is a thrilling tribute to the "Metroid-vania" sub-genre, and is an unbelievably deep game for an arcade title.

I would also like to nominate Batman: Arkham Asylum; I just recently rented it and really enjoyed it. Initially, I never even gave the game a second thought, assuring myself that it would be another shitty superhero game. Something came over me to compel me to try it, and it is easily one of the best stealth-action games out there.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
TheJackpotter  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A game I seriously recommend:
Burnout Revenge (360)

Price: 29.99$ or 2400MP on Xbox Live.

Comments: It's pretty good and much more addicting than Paradise, IMO!

Best mode: Online

My rating: 9/10
MrOmyA  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drifter1717 wrote:
GOD OF WAR.
+1.

Awesome series. There's just so many good things that make the games awesome.
CorpusCollosum  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOmyA wrote:
drifter1717 wrote:
GOD OF WAR.
+1.

Awesome series. There's just so many good things that make the games awesome.

Make it +2. I almost forgot that I finally got around to playing this game a couple of months ago...

God of War takes the hack 'n' slash action-adventure genre to an unparalleled level. No game before it - and no game since (save for GoW2) - have come even close to offering a similar combat experience that is so incredibly varied and polished. Combine that with the amazing visuals, cool Greek mythological setting and story, and love-him-hate-him personality of Kratos, and the game simply wins.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
Romanticide  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to suggest Persona 4, for the PS2.

As opposed to most games, where you don't have to talk to anybody if you don't want to or worry about relationships since they are scripted, the Persona series places utmost importance on it. You can befriend your party members and even NPCs in the game world, and date some of them (if not all, but I don't know yet.). This was the main draw of the game to me. That alone makes it different from any other RPG I have played, and I have not been disappointed yet.

It's a great game and the price is right. Thirty dollars new on Amazon AND you get the OST on a separate CD? Awesome!

Adding Pokemon Rumble (WiiWare) too. The premise is rather simple: The Pokemon are toys, and your goal as the player is to become the champion. To accomplish this, you must befriend stronger Pokemon by defeating them in battle.

The biggest difference between this and the handheld games is the combat takes place in real time. It is not turn-based. The combat in this game is very fast-paced, and no dungeon takes much longer than 5-10 minutes. Also, your Pokemon do not level up or evolve, and they only get two moves. You learn your moves (at random, but the game saves, so you could try again) by buying them in-game.

The Pokemon in this game are from the first and fourth generations. The first playthrough features only first generation Pokemon, the second features both first and fourth generation Pokemon. I wish there were second and third generation Pokemon, but considering the price, I can't complain much.

There is a demo for this game on WiiWare (I was shocked to see this!), so you can try it out before you decide to spend your 1500 points on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to add Wii to Call of Duty:Modern Warfare, since the only thing that's primarily different is the Graphics. Other than that, there's one(maybe two) multiplayer modes missing, and Offline Multiplayer. If not then whatever.

I can't think of any recommendations at the moment, but expect some soon.
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I give like, a +7 to Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver?

<_<

Quick reasons why:

- Slightly gimmicky pedometer (Pokewalker) can be used to catch rarer Pokemon, get items, level up, etc. and is more fun than you think.

- It's two classic games with revamped graphics, music, gyms, areas (Viridian Forest is back as well as Seafoam Islands and Cerulean Cave), newer legendaries (Kyogre/Groudon, Latios/Latias, Legendary Birds + Mewtwo, etc.). Ability to change the music to the GB version late-game and the battle cries are same as GSC.

- A lot of other newer stuff and tweaks: including the GTS, slightly changed events ingame, AND YOU'RE ABLE TO RUN WITH THE RUNNING SHOES WITHOUT HOLDING B

- Most everything menu-wise is assigned to the Touch Screen, making things a lot easier to navigate.

- Very small detail that I love: on your Pokemon summary page, from the main menu (not PC), the stat that is increased by your nature has a red tint and the decreased has a blue tint).
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
Megashot  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have some suggestions and are looking for a recommendation as well.

I am looking for some better Xbox 360 games. I currently have about 45-50 games, but the problem is that they are a majority of older titles (which is both a bad thing and a good thing). Well, another thing is that it feels like all I have on the Xbox 360 are racing games. I have stopped playing my 360 a lot ever since I got some PS3 games to improve my collection. I am looking for any good, cheap 360 games that 1. Aren't racing and 2. have split-screen multiplayer (or some kind of local multiplayer in it). Number 2 is not way too important, but please take that into account, as I have a twin brother so I almost exclusively buy 2 player games, hence why I am asking, lol. I love every type of game, EXCEPT for NFL/Football games. I can handle golf, soccer, baseball, and hockey. I am really into Japanese Role Playing Games; turn based, strategy, whatever. Big, expansive RPG's such as Fallout 3 or Oblivion don't interest me much (my brother plays those mostly).

Here are the Xbox 360 games I have: http://backloggery.com/games.php?user=megashot&console=360 Note that this lists everything I have, which includes games my brother bought/likes to play.

I picked up a bunch of PS3 games lately, here's that list, so that you know which ones to avoid mentioning, as I may already have it on the PS3: http://backloggery.com/games.php?user=megashot&console=PS3&rating=&status=&own=&region=&wish=&alpha=

It may seem funny for me asking this since I have so many games, but I wanted to "spice up" my 360 library since I did the same with my PS3. It doesn't matter if it's one title or a few titles, lol.

For the suggestions, I highly recommend Persona 4 on the PS2 as Romanticide said. It's a great Japanese-style RPG that does a lot of things differently and I enjoy it a lot. Just make sure you understand that RPG's aren't short, you don't complete this in a day. There's a TON of stuff to do, as is the case with many RPG's. Persona 3 isn't shabby, either. I would get Persona 3 FES if you can find it, it includes the original game plus an all-new quest!

Another game I highly recommend is Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing. It's a multiplatform game (360/Wii/PS3/DS). It's a really good Mario Kart clone. Actually, it's better than Mario Kart in some areas, especially in terms of drifting (it's a lot easier and more accessible), and every character has a specific special "All Star" move they can use to get an advantage on the competition, which is a lot different than just a simple Star or Spiky Shell on Mario Kart. Any version of the game is good, even the Wii version is a spot-on port of the Xbox 360/PS3 versions. Highly recommended if you are a Sega fanboy, they even have characters from franchises that haven't been seen in a while, such as BD Joe from Crazy Taxi and Beat from Jet Set Radio Future/Jet Grind Radio!

Proud owner of every Guitar Hero and Rock Band game! Rock on!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Cool223 PSN Name: Megashot
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this is a new one for you guys. If you're into RPGs - particularly ones with innovative battle systems - you should definitely check out Legend of Legaia for PSX. One of my absolute favorite games of all time. Cool characters, an above average story at worst, and best of all an innovative and never boring battle system.

Its turn-based combat... but for attacks you input a series of commands using the directional buttons. This might not sound innovative, but different combos of commands unlock things called "Arts". There are several different levels of Arts, ranging from lower-level 3-command attacks, to unbelievably devastating 9-command "Miracle Arts". Some arts are purely guess and check, while others you can learn from books that are to be given to specific members of your party. As you progress and learn more Arts, you can combine older ones to make newer, more powerful Arts. Each character has their own elemental power, so character attacks are based on their elemental powers. In addition, the command bar extends as your level increases, but equipping certain items can increase the amount of space an individual attack takes up in the command bar.

There are tons of secrets, and leveling up your characters never really gets boring or tedious like in some RPGs, due to the fun battle system.

The story follows Vahn (or whatever you so choose to name your main character) as he is about to become a man and will be required to hunt with his village's local hunting party. Vahn lives in a town surrounded by a large wall that keeps a mysterious force known as "The Mist" from turning the townspeople into mad creatures called Seru. On the night before Vahn is to go on his first hunt, a man named Zeto comes to attack his village and breaks down the wall that protects the village. As the mist pours in, everyone around Vahn starts turning into Seru, and he is left to wonder why he isn't changing. Vahn goes to the holy Genesis Tree that is old and dead in the center of town. There he meets a Ra-Seru who helps him revive the Genesis Tree which in turn drives The Mist out of the village. Vahn decides to embark on a journey to free the surrounding world from the menace of The Mist.

Good game. Highly recommend it to fans of RPGs. ;D

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a PS2 strictly to play GH1, GH2, and GH80s so I feel I'm wasting a heaping fuckton of potential by doing that. What I'm looking for are general recommendations for PS2, judging by the following stuff:

I enjoy FPSes, particularly the TimeSplitters series due to Mapmaker so if there are any games like that I'd love them
Racing/driving games are alright... I like Midnight Club 3... don't quite know why I haven't picked up some GTA games yet

Other than that... well, I don't know. Obviously, I know that there are tons of gems on PS2 (considering, you know, it lived for 10 years and counting) but I just don't know where to look. I'd like a "PS2 for beginners" guide, if you will :P

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: