ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Game suggestion thread: PC Games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberwaste  

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT409 wrote:
Burnout Paradise
-Another good racing game, the no restart can get very annoying if you lost a race by a split-second, the car crashes are always fun to watch, when intentionally done.

Actually the 1.7 patch put in an event restart option.

Otherwise. ^ This.

Also, my sugession would be Skate 2. A much more intuitive control system than the Tony Hawk series, the replay editor is good, and the online community is very lively and friendly. And the Hall of Meat mode is awesome, watching people bail is always awesome.

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

Last edited by Cyberwaste on Sat May 02, 2009 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
GangsterHebrew  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I'll give this a shot.

360:

The Darkness - Great single player, if you like horror/action games. The multiplayer is bad though...I suggest staying far away from it.

Crackdown - Great game. Think GTA with enhanced physical stats(speed, strength, jumping height, driving ability, etc.)

Bioshock - My favorite single player game on 360. It's just lovely.

Call of Duty 4 - I know its been said before but I thought I'd get my two cents in. The single player is really fun, though somewhat frustrating on Veteran. The multiplayer is great and highly addictive. I'd say a must buy if you like shooters.

Shadowrun - The game gets bad reviews for lack of content, but its only $10 at Gamestop, and its well worth that.

Woo, 9000 subscribers.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Gangster Hebrew
Necromac  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PS3 Suggestions:

Uncharted - A nice mix of platforming and shooting, all wrapped up in a pretty jungle package... and a relatively easy platinum trophy for trophy whores

MGS 4 - This is a must buy for any fan of the series, but if you havn't played MGS 1-3, the cutscenes are not going to be fun

Killzone 2 - The only negative I can think of for this is that there is no secondary fire for the weapons... thats how good it is.

Little Big Planet - The game is fun to play on your own, and with friends, and there are some really cool user created levels, with more coming out all the time. Some of the puzzles can be infuriating at times, but it's very satisfying when you finally pass then.

Resistance 1 & 2 - while they are both great games, I would reccomend KZ2 before these... but only just. Cool weapons, Cool story, Cool games. playing R1 before R2 would be a good idea, but it really isn't necessary.

Oblivion - This. Is. Awesome. I would reccomend this over Fallout 3...

PSN Games:

Echochrome - Highly enjoyable puzzle game. puzzles based on perspective. is there a hole in your way? rotate the camera so you can't see it, and it is no longer there. Always a good time waster.

Pain - another fun little time waster. whats not to love about shooting a guy from a giant slingshot?

<--Thank You karatechess
I ed Jordan... WOOOOOOT, Thanks to lun471k for the kick-ass avitar
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: This used to be a post for the full recommendation list, which is now obsolete.

Threw in my vote for Bioshock.

Last edited by suspectfenster on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:48 am; edited 20 times in total
boyler4  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaving a vote for Call of Duty: World at War.

This is one of the best WW2 shooters I've played. It has an awesome single player campaign, great multiplayer, and one of the most addicting mini games I've ever played: Nazi Zombies.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This motivates me to ask you all...

Since my recent E 74 error, I've been playing the hell out of my other consoles again...

Somebody recommend me some good-great shooters for Ps2/Gamecube (preferably 1st person shooters.) I've seen and heard of a lot of them, but I know I haven't played close to all of them.

Here are some great ones that I know of:

Time Splitters series, Red Faction series, Max Payne series, GTA series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: P0WAH0USE
Qarx  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powahouse wrote:
This motivates me to ask you all...

Since my recent E 74 error, I've been playing the hell out of my other consoles again...

Somebody recommend me some good-great shooters for Ps2/Gamecube (preferably 1st person shooters.) I've seen and heard of a lot of them, but I know I haven't played close to all of them.

Metroid Prime series is for you. FPS, and two of them are for the Gamecube.

... Well, that didn't feel too constructive. I'll come back and fill you in more if you need it.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
CorpusCollosum  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Scott, how have I missed this thread until now? Excellent idea, Fenster. Allow me to hopefully provide a helpful post regarding 360 retail and arcade games. I'll start from the top of the current voting leaderboard with retail games:

Call of Duty 4: One of the best all-around FPS's out there. While widely touted for its addictive multi-player (which is indeed fantastic; the perks/upgrades/ranking system make for an infinitely rewarding experience), the single-player campaign should not be thrown aside. While short, CoD4's single-player campaign is probably the most fun I've had with any FPS's campaign, between sniper/stealth missions to airplane hostage rescue situations, CoD4's campaign packs it all into one hell of a single-player experience.

Fallout 3: Like GT said, no games have more replayable single-players than Bethesda's RPG's and Fallout 3 does far from disappoint. Many may find themselves overwhelmed or simply exhausted with the amount of Japanese RPG's that have released over the years, and the rise of the more youthful "Western RPG" genre has been the answer for many, myself included. The free-roaming, real-time gameplay of Fallout 3 makes for a more informal and unique experience. Compile that with the seeming endless amount of weapons, character upgrades and the like, and you have one hell of an adventure.

BioShock: I never got a chance to finish the entirety of the campaign upon borrowing from my friend, but I played a large chunk of it and, man, was it fun. It's nice to occasionally receive an IP filled with new-blood ideas amongst the multitude of generic FPS's and other dead horse-beaten genres. While it is in first-person and you're commonly wielding a weapon of some sort, it plays more like a first-person adventure/RPG than a shooter, and the immersive and unique gameplay revolving around upgrading your plasmid powers makes for a very rewarding experience. It should also be noted that BioShock actually contains a pretty interesting and engrossing story that really makes you think and feel based on your choices.

GTA4: While the GTA series has never had that big of an appeal to me, I finally caved for this installment, and am glad for doing so. The massive, interesting story in the main campaign alone made the game worth it. Easily some of the best voice acting and writing in any game to date. If you are any kind of fan of the series or genre, and actually enjoy a game's story, this is a must.

Halo 3: If you previously had an Xbox before buying a 360 (and, more likely than not, even you didn't), it's pretty damn certain you probably have already bought or will buy this game at some point, as it's the face of Microsoft's gaming consoles. With that said, Halo 3 is still high on the FPS enjoyment ladder, contrary to the abundance of idiots out there who hate Halo just because it's apparently cool to hate on Halo. Yes, the campaign is enjoyable and co-op is a sweet plus, but you'll probably be spending most your time in multi-player...and frankly, no game developer cares more about their game's online play than Bungie. They got it and continue to get it right. With the constant addition of maps and tweaking of playlists and weekend specials, Bungie actually gives a shit about its fans, and the results are easily noticeable.

Gears of War 2: Gears of War is something of a breath of fresh air in the shooter department. It's in the lesser used third person, and the cover system plays extremely well adding a different facet to combat. I'd tell you to get Gears 1 first, but there's really no need. The story is pretty bland, and is covered in Gears 2, and multi-player plays more or less the same but without the new weapons, features, and modes of Gears 2. Epic actually bothered to create a decent story in Gears 2, and you're bound to have fun playing through on co-op with a buddy. Once again though, you'll spend most of your time in multi-player and Horde modes. While multi-player can be hit-or-miss with the poor online code, Horde is where it's truly at. Similar to CoD:WaW's Zombie mode, wave after wave of the locust enemy must be vanquished up to fifty waves. With five people this can be a blast, and gets quite intense in the later waves.

Oblivion: Refer, more or less, to my Fallout 3 opinion. Bethesda does the Western RPG right, and Oblivion plays true.

Assassin's Creed: No mention of this yet? Man. Another enjoyable new-blood IP. The story is clear and concise, yet intriguing. You are present-day guy who's been recruited by a scientist to test the "Animus," which re-creates your ancestors actions via your DNA. As such, you go back in time to one of your assassin ancestors, Altair, and proceed to assassinate all the big shots of the world to up your status in the Brotherhood...and the game simply plays great. All of Altair's movements feel incredibly fluent, and the controls are spot-on. You'll find yourself enjoying running around on building rooftops and climbing towers just for the hell of it. The combat is also enjoyable: simplistic, yet rewarding, between the myriad of combo and counter moves. The reconnaissance-gathering missions can be repetitive, but assassinations on the leaders make it all worth it. Oh, and Assassin's Creed 2 comes out this fall.

**XBLA titles**

Braid:
BigCasFri, in the old Braid thread wrote:
This game is hands down the most perfect game I have ever played in my life. Both technically and aesthetically. The graphics suit the game's tone perfectly, and the music just fits so well with the time-bending mechanic. It's also some of the most fun I've ever had with any platformer. The puzzles are crazy hard sometimes, but when you solve them the sence of satisfaction is huge. Sometimes when I figure out a puzzle and realize how simple it is it just puts a huge smile on my face.

I could not agree more. No 360 game has put me in awe as much as Braid. If you are even a remote fan of puzzle games, this is a must...and even if you aren't, it's still a must!

Banjo Kazooie/Tooie: Once again, if you grew up with the N64 and owned these games, I probably don't need to convince you buy either of them... While the platforming genre is nearing its death, do not overlook the platforming masterpiece that is the Banjo series. Rare was at the top of their game during the N64 era, and it shows. The gameplay is intuitive, the graphics and music are exceptional, and while the story is predictable, the dialogue in these games is some of the funniest you will ever see.

Portal: Still Alive: Another brilliant puzzle game. Some of the most original and inventive physics-related gameplay mechanics you will ever see in any title. And yet another game with witty writing and subtle hilarity throughout to keep you interested in between puzzles. A must for puzzle fans.

Finally, I would also like to throw in a vote for Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess. I honestly think it's unnecessary to even wait for votes to add these to the "must buy" list (though I suppose if you have a Wii, you probably own both of these games already). But for any Nintendo newbies out there, they should know: It is a sin to not own these games.

Well, I hope you found this helpful, and if you have any questions or comments, let me know.

Qarx wrote:
powahouse wrote:

Metroid Prime series is for you. FPS, and two of them are for the Gamecube.

I'm going to have to disagree. Powahouse, it seems you're more of a typical run-and-gun FPS guy, like CoD, and the other series you mentioned. Metroid Prime is so unlike any other first-person shooting game out there, and Nintendo has repeatedly tried to correct the masses by avoiding the "FPS" and coining it a "First-person adventure." I find the latter more accurate anyway. Shooting and battle is much less frequent, with the emphasis placed on platforming and exploration (as typical of the Metroid games of past). Don't get me wrong, I love the Prime series, but it's an acquired taste; a taste I'm not so sure Powahouse would find palatable.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpusCollosum wrote:
Finally, I would also like to throw in a vote for Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess. I honestly think it's unnecessary to even wait for votes to add these to the "must buy" list (though I suppose if you have a Wii, you probably own both of these games already). But for any Nintendo newbies out there, they should know: It is a sin to not own these games.

Well, I hope you found this helpful, and if you have any questions or comments, let me know.

I'd agree with you that there are those that seem like they should be in the must buy list right away, but unfortunately something like that is still subjective and once you do it for one game, where do you stop? I'm going to put a vote down for Twilight Princess though. A great buy for sure.

But thanks a ton for all those recommendations! Note that everyone needn't be intimidated by some the of the longer posts of this thread...if you have a quick recommendation (or a few) feel free to throw them down. Explanations ARE encouraged, but not always necessary.

Also note that votes even after a game are in the OP mean something. I tally the votes, more votes puts a game closer to the top, and eventually if vote counts get high enough, I might even do tiers of popularity or something. *shrug*
TSorbera  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

360:
Call of Duty 4
Awesome multiplayer (probably best ever, at least for FPS games) and good singleplayer (very fun, but pretty short).
Rock Band 2
Maybe everybody forgot to mention GH/RB because of what this forum is, but I'll throw in my recommendation for RB2!

PC:
WarCraft III (including the expansion TFT)
Awesome RTS gameplay, long campaign with great lore, great online multiplayer and, of course, many good custom maps such as the famous Defense of the Ancients (DotA).
Guitar Hero III
Customs are very easy to add on GH3 PC, and can be very fun.

DS:
Chrono Trigger
Simply put, a great port of a great RPG. (originally on SNES)
New Super Mario Bros
Awesome and difficult platformer.

Wii:
LoZ: Twilight Princess
Very good game. I don't like how the series reuses so much, but on its own this game is a must-have.
GHTCP (Guitar Hero Three Control Panel) - for all your GH3 PC needs*
*not quite all needs, but for custom songs, custom game images, black background speed boost, and more
Ice  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3

Resistance series- Already stated, good storyline and fun game. I never played online on R:FOM, but the coop on R2 is pretty fun, especially since they added superhuman mode to it. It makes it kinda challenging and easily seperates the pros from the noobs >_>.

Burnout Paradise- All in all a fun game. Tons of challenges to keep you going for awhile. With all the new DLC that keeps coming out, it keeps me coming back. And for lazy people who don't actually "want" to unlock all the cars the right way (or sold the game like an idiot and bought it online thinking you could use your disc based save file >_>) you can actually just unlock all the cars via DLC . I actually finished off my trophies before doing this. I didn't feel like going for the 101% club again.

COD4- 'Nuff said

COD:WaW- ^

GH:M, RB1 and RB2-This is scorehero . Like TSorbera said, "Maybe everybody forgot to mention GH/RB because of what this forum is." Even though this is supposed to be "non music game discussion" :P.
DPooch  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

360-

GTA IV is a must-have imho.

30+ hours of awesome gameplay, and so much replay value.
Just going around on ultra rampages whether you have an assult rifle and a rocket launcher or if you're barreling down the sidewalk in a SuperGT running over everything you see, it's a ton of fun.

Also, count me in for CoD4 and WaW. Both good games.

And tally up a vote for Brawl for Wii. Also fun.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: poochz0rz
boyler4  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, the Wii and Nintendo DS versions of Call of Duty: World at War do not include the Nazi Zombies minigame, so you may wanna edit that out.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boyler4 wrote:
Just to let you know, the Wii and Nintendo DS versions of Call of Duty: World at War do not include the Nazi Zombies minigame, so you may wanna edit that out.

Thanks for the heads up, did not know that.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boyler4 wrote:

Not necessarily. One minigame does not make the game. What if someone had a DS or Wii, but not a PS3 or 360? They might still like the game anyway. Don't count out a game port based on a single feature cut out.
Not that I've played ANY CoD games....

Eh, I can't think of any recommendations right now. I'll be back later with some >_>.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: