ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Game suggestion thread: PC Games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qarx  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to recommend Blazblue Portable. I never played the 360 or PS3 versions of this game, but from what I understand, it's an extremely faithful adaptation of its home console counterparts, so if you like it already, you're likely to enjoy the PSP version.

If you're not familiar with the game, well, it's a fighting game. I'm not all that into fighting games, but from the ones I have seen/played, this one dares to be different [visually] by having graphics not dissimilar from the Disgaea franchise: two-dimensional character sprites in three-dimensional environments. Come to think of it, the attacks are similar, too, being flashy and dramatic... hmm....

The attacks themselves are pretty resonsive, and easy to use, since you're only required to press the D-Pad in the four directions for the attacks (i.e., the Hadoken from Street Fighter requires you to press down, down-forward, forward, whereas some of the attacks in this game only require you to press down then forward). For me, at least, this makes the gameplay easily accessible, and given the low difficulty of the Story mode, makes it more enjoyable for newcomers. The story is also surprisingly deep for a fighting game, and very entertaining (in more than one way).

Of course, like I said, I've never actually had a copy of the PS3/360 versions of the game, and as far as I know, you can't play the PSP version online (go figure), so if you're bigger on playing online than you are playing wherever you want (and if you have a PS3/360), then don't bother with this version and just go with the home console versions. Otherwise, if you have a PSP and not a PS3/360, this makes a fun experience until you can get yourself the better version... or the sequel Continuum Shift .

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohai Gaming Discussion forum.

I need some recs. I got a new PC yesterday, and I wanna see what it can do :P See my sig for an impression

I don't like sports games much, but I do like more story-driven games. FPS games are ok (they just have to be good ^^). I tend to like RPGs.

I don't care too much for sandbox games - they generally lack the kind of atmosphere I'm looking for.

Ummm.... anything else I need to mention? *thinks hard* *shrugs* can't think of anything-- rec away!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is good if you get the right "mods", or so I hear. Fun RPG, even if the graphics and animations are a bit meh. I could never really get into it.

Left 4 Dead 2 is a good zombie shooter if you like those. Not much in the way of story, but multiplayer is fun.

Personally, I'm going to have to plug Guild Wars here. [Edit] Even if it doesn't require a computer as good as yours to play it. o_o

It's a "CORPG" (Competitive/Cooperative Online RPG) that's sort of like an MMO. You run into people in towns and outposts and whatnot, however, most of the game is "instanced". Meaning, everyone gets their own little area so you don't have to wait for quests to appear or bosses to spawn.

You have one race (until GW2 is released) and six basic classes to pick from: Warrior, Ranger, Monk, Mesmer, Necromancer and Elementalist. Two of the campaigns released after the first one (Factions and Nightfall - the original is called Prophecies) add two classes for each (Assassin/Ritualist and Paragon/Dervish), but are only available in those two campaigns. Once you pick your primary class and design your character, you go through a tutorial. Eventually, you pick up a secondary profession, being able to use most skills and all but one of the classes "attributes" (each class has their own special primary-only attribute).

It's still an active place, and you can either play the game solo, with people or with henchmen. People are usually better than the henchman unless you run into noobs, but it's possible to get through the game on henchmen only. There's also Heroes (customizable henchmen) that are available on Nightfall.

There's also PvP, but I don't play it much so I have no idea how good it is or anything. Sorry.

Currently, the trilogy is $25 new on Amazon, which is a GREAT price if you look and see how much each campaign is via the GW store. There's also a free trial that lasts for either 10 hours or two weeks - downsides being you can't talk or trade in outposts - and you can upgrade to a regular account and keep your character + stuff if you decide to buy the trilogy.

Some tips if you decide to get this game:
- Start in the Prophecies campaign. It has the best learning curve, even if it's a bit slow. The other 4 classes aren't that good anyways. :P
- Don't pick Mesmer. It's a hard class to play unless you know a lot about the inner workings of the game.
- Don't pick Warrior/Monk and try to heal people. I'd stay away from Monk too, unless you really want to be one, only because knowing how/when to heal requires some experience.
- Your secondary profession can be changed way later in the game, but don't pick something obviously bad. A Warrior has a low amount of Energy (magic/skill points), so don't pick Elementalist as your secondary and try using a lot of high Energy spells. You can make anything work, though - you don't even need to rely on your secondary profession. Every class can do just fine using its own skills, with 1-2 (or 0) skills from it's secondary.

I could go on and on about this game; feel free to stop by the GW thread if you have more questions. There's also a Guild Wars Wiki you can look through if you wish. But hey, I've spent a TON of hours on this game in the past few weeks and I'm still at the beginnings of two campaigns. Trust me, this game will last you a while if you really get into it.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, guess you're really into Guild Wars :P I'm sorry, but MMO games are out of the question. I'm mainly a singleplayer player, while I might play multiplayer sometimes (shooters for example).

Left 4 Dead 2, having received the accolades for its multiplayer it has, is probably not an option either. A lauded multiplayer is often a sign of a singleplayer campaign that doesn't maintain the standard of the multiplayer, and in the worst cases, the singleplayer serves as a sort of tutorial.

I have, of course, heard about oblivion. My last pc couldn't run it, though XD Neither could it run Dark Messiah of Might and Magic...

I might go for that, but I'm still really, really open for suggestions (= (especially for games more recently released, although I know that that obviously doesn't necessarily make better games )

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might like it just a bit. :P

Like I said, GW is more of an RPG with optional multiplayer than an MMO. You CAN play solo if that's what you wish to do. I'd at least download the trial to give it a shot. But hey, I can see how some people really wouldn't be a huge fan of GW, so... yeah.

I don't PC game much, so I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. =/
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking purely for games to put your PC to the limit, Crysis is an obvious choice. Fallout 3 with all settings (including anti-aliasing maxed) is also an enormous tax on your computer. I have a medium-high end gaming rig (260 gtx, quad core 3.0ghz, 8gb RAM), and putting the anti-aliasing at max on that game tends to overheat my GPU and cause a freeze.

If you're just looking for great, solid all around games...well, Fallout 3 is a great place to start. Fantastic RPG/shooter. Oblivion is also pretty demanding so you could try that to get your RPG fix in as well.

Of course, Starcraft II comes out tomorrow (OMGOMGOMG), which is a solid RTS (you might also check of Sins of a Solar Empire).

In terms of shooters, you simply have to get Team Fortress 2. Absolutely required, no doubt about it. Left 4 Dead 2 is awesome, as somebody else mentioned. If you're into competitive twitch shooters, Counter-Strike (or any variation thereof) will fit the bill nicely. AND you should get Alien Swarm, since it just came out for FREE and it's an amazing game.

Yeah I'll stop plugging Valve now.
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT

Last edited by Ontwikseltsaar on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eyce  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Games you absolutely must get:

- Audiosurf
- Beat Hazard
- Alien Swarm
- Just Cause 2 (The mods for this game make it take an absolute dump on the consoles, yes it's Sandbox but I love it to pieces and I hate the genre)
- L4D2 if you're not German or Australian (lol too lazy to read poster's origin)
- Battlefield Bad Company 2 is a great PC shooter, more players than console = more fun
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyce wrote:
L4D2 if you're not German or Australian (lol too lazy to read poster's origin)

Hehe... Green blood? XD

I might just try Just Cause, I've heard so many good things about it...

Also, I've been plying F.E.A.R. (1) a lot (still had it lying around ) and is it me or does that game seem less scary than I remembered it? >_> I never fully played through it, but I only remember one occasion that really scared the crap out of me. Do you guys know of any scarier games? :P (inb4thief3thecradle)

Xtresso  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
Thanks for the recs. I've heard a lot about FallOut 3, both good and bad.

Since starcraft (1) was "before my time", I'm doubtful as to how easy it'd be for me to get into that, since I lack any knowledge regarding the series. I still enjoy the occasional game of Age of Empires 2, so I do like a good RTS (=

I've played CS for a while (1.6/CZ) but I umm, wasn't good =P Maybe that's still where my anxiety towards multiplayer (online play) comes from... There were simply always a lot of people in the bigger servers who were better than me x_x I don't want things to be impossible, and since I like good storytelling, i generally favor singleplayer.

If you actually click those links about FO3 being overrated, they're either forum posts from before the game was out based on the trailers, or someone asking if it's overrated and everyone disagreeing with them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently got back into PC gaming somewhat, and got a new rig myself capable of running most of the new games pretty solidly.

here is what I've been enjoying lately:

Single Player:
RPG : Titans Quest, The Witcher
FPS : Borderlands (apparently multiplayer is awesome, but so far I've been enjoying the hell out of just playing it single player)
Adventure : Monkey Island 1, 2, Tales (adventure games are win)

EDIT : Holy crap - I forgot "Dragon Age" - that's the PERFECT game for you - will tax your new machine, and is a super awesome RPG to boot.

Multiplayer
Shooter : Alien Swarm (apparently this sucks single player, but multiplayer it's pretty fun)

Hope those suggestions help - I have kind of the same likes/dislikes as you, (RPGs, limited FPS, no racing games, mainly single player), so give those a shot I guess.

Also, since you might never have played it, you should give the following old games a spin - they're probably two of the greatest RPGs ever:
Baldurs Gate 2 (1 is decent too, but 2 really blew me away)
Planescape : Torment (oozes atmosphere, and is perhaps the best plotted RPG of all time, ever, bar none)

You might also want to try out Mass Effect 1 + 2, although I don't have any experience with the PC port of those, since I played through them on the Xbox360 - I am in the minority, but I actually preferred part 1 to part 2.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT

Last edited by Ontwikseltsaar on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eyce  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
Eyce wrote:
L4D2 if you're not German or Australian (lol too lazy to read poster's origin)

Hehe... Green blood? XD

No actually, red blood but every infected disappears immediately. Also no dismemberment and no Riot Police Infected. Or Burning Infected.

Or fun.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I wanted to know of some recommendations for something. My sister would like to play with her boyfriend on his PS3, but he has a stunning lack of co-op games. I wanted to know what games you guys would recommend?

Oh, and she would prefer a game that has an ESRB rating between E and T. She's getting a little tired of him having only M rated games I guess .

EDIT:

I say co-op mostly because they would probably have more fun helping each other rather than trying to beat each other >_>. They're kind of weird that way lol.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
Hey, I wanted to know of some recommendations for something. My sister would like to play with her boyfriend on his PS3, but he has a stunning lack of co-op games. I wanted to know what games you guys would recommend?

Oh, and she would prefer a game that has an ESRB rating between E and T. She's getting a little tired of him having only M rated games I guess .

EDIT:

I say co-op mostly because they would probably have more fun helping each other rather than trying to beat each other >_>. They're kind of weird that way lol.

Might not be PS3 but... Leisure Suit Larry?

>_>

Umm, don't they have a Wii? It'd be easy then

Well then, LittleBigPlanet? It's really the only "girl-friendly" game that comes to mind when I think of the PS3, and I really don't know about its co-op...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: