ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Rift anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeathKnight21  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Rift anyone? Reply with quote

Has anyone played rift yet, if you went on wowcurse they were giving out free weekend codes, and last night i played 10 hours straight .

Took for Rift Wiki:

Rift (previously known as Rift: Planes of Telara) is a 3D fantasy-themed massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) from Trion Worlds Network, that was released March 1, 2011 in the United States, March 2, 2011 in Australia, March 3, 2011 in pan-European countries, and March 4, 2011 in the United Kingdom.

Setting
Rift is an MMORPG set in the fantasy world of Telara, which is the focal point of different planes (worlds). Through the actions of the death god Regulos, these worlds have now invaded Telara, causing rifts to open. Opposing Regulos are two factions: the Guardians and the Defiant. The conflict between these two factions serves as another source of tension and gameplay. Players have the role of Ascended: resurrected soldiers whose task is to defeat the forces of Regulos and cleanse Telara forever of his threat.[4]
Guardians are those who follow the way of the Vigil, the gods of Telara. They include the high elves, the Mathosians (a race of human-like creatures), and dwarves. Guardian ascended were resurrected by the Vigil after dying during one of the earlier conflicts with Regulos. Players who choose Guardian fight and die against one of Regulos' commanders, only to be brought back at the beginning of Rift.
Defiants are those who put their trust in technology as a way to conquer the forces of Regulos. They include the Eth (a race of human-like creatures), the Bahmi (resembling giants), and the Kelari (resembling dark elves). Defiant ascended were resurrected after a cataclysmic battle that has all but decimated Telara. At the beginning of the game, players who choose Defiant are sent back in time from this point to the beginning of Rift, allowing them to fight alongside the Guardians.
[edit]Rifts
Rifts are areas of elemental instability that represent the intrusion of elemental planes into the land of Telara. Once opened, these rifts begin to spawn monsters that proceed to march towards important points on the map. It is then up to players to defeat these monsters and to close the rift. If rifts are left unchecked, the invading monsters will eventually conquer large portions of the map, killing and significantly impairing the players in that area. Entering the area surrounding the rift will trigger a prompt that allows the player to join a public group, rather than forcing the player to manually create a group. Players sealing the rift are rewarded for many things including healing, attacking and buffing. The severity and locations of the rifts are entirely dynamic. Rifts of six different types (earth, fire, air, water, life, and death) are possible, and rifts of different types will oppose each other. In addition, Non-player characters hostile to the player may engage rift invaders.

I would post more, but i don't want to have the entire post being stuff from the wiki so this is my opinion on the game.

When i made my character i got to choose 1 of 8 classes, and in later quest i choose 2 sub classes. The first hour i was having tons of fun, it was better than any mmo i had played. Then came the other 9 hours it was mindless fun. I was dying a little bit, but i was still enjoying it. If you have played World of warcraft and you loved it this is a game you should try.

Does anyone else play?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Tactical Idoit PSN Name: Darassa
Slayer17  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started playing on Friday. I'm level 30 now. Trust me, that's a pretty damn good indication that I fucking love this game. It's a ton of fun. You choose one of four classes (Warrior/Mage/Rogue/Cleric) and within those classes are 8 unique Souls. Each Soul has its own talent tree, and you will 3 active Souls at all times. The system is pretty interesting, and there are TONS of abilities to choose from. At first it can actually be a little overwhelming, a nice change from the typical "spam this move because it's the only one you have right now" MMO. The Rifts that spawn around the world, as well as the massive World Event that's occurring right now make the leveling experience much more interesting, and it's awesome that you can jump right into a group with people working on quests or Rifts in your area.

From what I've seen thus far, the content will be challenging for sure. At the appropriate level for any given dungeon, expect to have a pretty rough time before you get the hang of it. I definitely enjoy the difficulty of Rift. All that said, I would recommend this game to everyone who has even remotely enjoyed a "WoW-ish" game. It has taken all the good of WoW and expanded on it, yielding a pretty awesome experience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I hate WoW and I will never play WoW ever again because of the tons and tons and tons and tons of flaws it has, Rift is something I wouldn't even look at. :/

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
- 9001 is fucking paranoid
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Saru786 Wii Friend Code: 5710861160111753
DeathKnight21  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saru786 wrote:
Since I hate WoW and I will never play WoW ever again because of the tons and tons and tons and tons of flaws it has, Rift is something I wouldn't even look at. :/

I will update this thread next time a free weekend or such comes up, but i beg of you to at least try it for free. If you don't enjoy it, well you don't :P.

Edit: Saru its like wow with less flaws :P.

Edit: 2 Hey slayer what class did you go/ soul?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Tactical Idoit PSN Name: Darassa
Slayer17  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Warrior, Champion/Riftblade/Reaver for leveling, with my offspec being Paladin/Reaver/Void Knight for tanking. I have had a lot of success with both.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it on a free day just before release and while it's better than WoW, if you played WoW and wanted a different game that wasn't like WoW, your not getting that from Rift. I liked the big random Rift battles, it looks good, and the class ideas are interesting, but it plays exactly like WoW, the character races are boring, and the endgame content looks to be almost ripped from WoW which basically killed the game off for me. Just another good looking WoW clone for the most part, which makes their ad campaign that more ridiculous and dumb lol

I would also agree to wait for a free weekend or free trial if your semi-interested, cause it has some interesting parts, but as someone that was bored by WoW after awhile and wanting to see something different, I can't see Rift holding up any better.
Saru786  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathKnight21 wrote:
Edit: Saru its like wow with less flaws :P.

If its LIKE WoW, then its flawed. Only WoW can kill WoW, so this game probably will last a few months until dying down, but if its like anything that MSH-Hitman said, then its definitely something I wouldn't want to even try for free.

WoW for most people is considered the #1 game for the MMORPG category, and if thats the case, the MMORPG category must be terrible if WoW is the best it can offer. >.>

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
- 9001 is fucking paranoid
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Saru786 Wii Friend Code: 5710861160111753
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at it's core, it's very much trying to pull away folks from the WoW crowd, with a game that plays very similar, but doesn't have near the amount of content that WoW itself has right now.

The only way to try and compete as an MMO anymore I think, is to try and steer as far away from being like WoW as you can. And it's not even about if WoW did everything it did first or best, it's simply the largest and most active out there, so you have to try and do more to separate yourself from that crowd. You can't compete directly with WoW. You will fail. Just look at all the other games that have tried and dwindled in it's wake. I can think of a half dozen right off the top of my head I think lol
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this. One of my friends invited me to play, played the 7-day trial and I was hooked. I'm not sure why, but it seems that even if I play 4+ hours straight, it never gets boring. Maybe it's because of the rifts, or the random stuff that happens, or maybe it's because it's a newer game, but I love it.

I'm leveling a rogue right now, level 22, Nightblade/Assassin/Bladedance. I love it, I can typically take down mobs non-stop with minimal rest for health.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it for several weeks after release (including the beta) and being a total WoW nerd I was hooked on it for a while, but I slowly began to lose interest and went back to WoW alltogether and cancelled my subscription. There's just something about WoW that makes it better than Rift for me. I guess there's never actually going to be everyone's acclaimed "WoW-killer". It's like an FPS coming out and killing Call of Duty; it's just not possible.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for Rift 1.4 coming out soon.

Quote:
    PvP Rifts: More open-world PvP goodness!

Cross-Shard LFG

Water Saga: Quest line that lets you earn epic loot and a vicious Crocnard Mount

Planar Menace: Stop House Aelfwar and the Abyssal from claiming the Dragon Motes

Drowned Halls: A new 10-player raid sliver

Quest Item Keyring: Save space in your inventory with an extra bag to hold your quest items

New rare materials: New tier of epic materials for each harvesting profession

New crafted item sets: Eight new crafted item sets for dungeon and raid players

Player-crafted augments: Apothecaries can salvage planar essences to make powerful item augments!

The thing that catches my eye is Cross-shard LFG. I'm assuming this applies to dungeon queues. Thank you!! Hopefully, this means that I don't have to wait for 30+ minutes to get a dungeon as a DPS anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for 1.3 coming out today!

Quote:
PvP Rifts: PvP rifts can no be opened at Rift Tears using a special Ascended Power.

An alternate Warfront for Whitefall Steppes will now appear on weekends and grant double rewards!

The LFG now works across all shards!

New epic questline.

Quest Journal got some updates as well. One main thing that I'm excited about is that each person now has a "Quest Bag", and all quest items will be put into that instead of taking up room in your regular bags. Fuck yea.

It also seems you don't need to do quests anymore to pick up Souls after you pick your first three.

Your 'Stats' windows also highlights stats that are important to your calling with a tooltip for help.

That's just a fraction of the stuff that I saw that I was excited to see.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this for maybe a week or 2 when it released. Got boring real fast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This September marks RIFT’s half-birthday, but who can wait that long to celebrate this awesome MMO? From August 25 to 31, we’ll be offering all sorts of rewards like ramped-up XP and Prestige gain for subscribers, and letting former players and newcomers play for free (with no level restriction)! And did we mention prizes? Save the dates to party in Telara and look for more information, coming your way soon!

This is the perfect chance to new people, and old, to try this game out for free during this time period!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: