Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Donating Hair
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkcr  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Donating Hair Reply with quote

Through much of my life I've wondered what it'd be like to have long hair, so after I graduated from college in June '07 I stopped getting haircuts. I went through the unkempt phase to the mullet phase; from the mullet phase to the "long enough to be annoying but too short to tie back" phase; onwards to the "I refuse to put my hair in a ponytail, that's what all computer geeks do" phase; and finally landing on the "shit I'm a stereotypical programmer" phase I'm in right now. I have gotten much advice from (mostly) female friends on hair care and maintenance which is entirely unnecessary when your hair is short.

What I've discovered is that long hair is a gigantic pain in the ass. It takes longer to wash and longer to dry. It gets everywhere, especially when you're looking down into your food. It freezes in the cold Minnesota winters. It makes swimming a pain. The only advantage of long hair I've seen so far is people comparing me to Herman Li. In other words, I want it gone.

The second goal that I set for myself when this hair quest began was to eventually donate my hair to charity. I hardly want all my hard work growing hair to go to waste. I haven't yet decided on which charity deserves my hair - it's difficult because there are so many:

Cuts for Cancer
Beautiful Lengths
Locks of Love
Wigs for Kids
Children With Hair Loss
Childhood Leukemia Foundation

Despite hating long hair, it's difficult to part with it. I've been working on this hair for almost two years! However, I think I've finally worked up the nerve to cut it all off tonight. Barring natural disaster or weak nerves, I'll put up before and after pictures later. (The only good picture I can find of myself with long-ish hair is from last summer, so it hardly looks the same now.) Wish me luck!

Who else here has donated hair? Do you have any tips? Anyone have any particular reason for one charity over another?

Edit: Pictures can be found here.

Last edited by rkcr on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister donated hair to Locks of Love, she was so proud of it.

I think it's a great thing to donate hair, unfortunately my school has an extremely strict hair length policy that can result in suspension
PieGuy  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of those you listed, the only one I've really heard of is Locks of Love and I've heard good things about it. A friend of mine cut her hair short and was going to donate to LoL (lol), but they didn't accept her hair for some reason - make sure you look into that too, there's some requirements for the hair that have to be met in order to donate it (but I'm sure you already know that).

Edit: ...and if I'd actually clicked the links before posting, I'd have seen such requirements listed. Go me.

Last edited by PieGuy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Donating Hair Reply with quote

rkcr wrote:
What I've discovered is that long hair is a gigantic pain in the ass. It takes longer to wash and longer to dry. It gets everywhere, especially when you're looking down into your food. It freezes in the cold Minnesota winters. It makes swimming a pain. The only advantage of long hair I've seen so far is people comparing me to Herman Li. In other words, I want it gone.

Damn right it's a pain in the ass. When I cut my hair it was a massive relief. Seriously. You'll be so glad you did it. My hair went to Locks of Love. I wasn't too preoccupied with who to donate it to at the time, I just wanted the shit off, so I can't offer you any advice besides trying not to cringe when they grab your hair back into a pony tail and chop it off.
rkcr  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawrspoon wrote:
My sister donated hair to Locks of Love, she was so proud of it.

I've actually kind of nixed LoL, because they focus on alopecia areata which isn't a life-threatening disease. This might be a little cold, but I'd rather have someone who is on the edge and suffering through chemotherapy get the comforts of a full head of hair over someone whose hair is simply absent.

Rawrspoon wrote:
I think it's a great thing to donate hair, unfortunately my school has an extremely strict hair length policy that can result in suspension

Is this a restriction as in "no long hair or you'll all turn into dirty smelly hippies"?
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend continually goes through the two year process of growing out her hair, cutting it, donating it, and then doing something different with her hair when it's short[er]. She uses Locks for Love as well...the only restrictions I believe are that your hair can't be treated, and has to be 10 inches in length from the start of the pony tail. Judging by your hair length though...I'm not sure it'd be long enough? I could be wrong...it's hard to tell with a guy since having half-inch long hair is perfectly normal. Anyhow, she seems to like that charity perfectly fine, but I'm sure any of the charities you listed would be great choices too.

It's a very cool thing to do, and I'm sure you'll make somebody very happy!

EDIT: Nevermind on my LoL rant. >_>
SeaMoney  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've donated my hair to Locks of Love before (back when I was like, 11 or 12), and I was supposed to donate again after I took my dread locks out, but I decided to keep it. I might donate again in the future, as my hair is almost to my stomach and my mom wants to me to have shorter hair for senior photos (which I take in September).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspectfenster wrote:

Well now I'm curious, what was it? :P
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkcr wrote:
suspectfenster wrote:

Well now I'm curious, what was it? :P

Nah, I just meant my bit about their requirements (okay..fine...it was a mini-rant).
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... This has made me think about how long my hair is...>__>
It's almost to my stomach and it's been bugging me lately, I just don't think I have it in me to cut it.

Rkcr, if you do it, I'll seriously consider it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i grew my hair out i donated it to locks of love. However i didn't do any research... that's just what some other people i knew had done.

I can't imagine you with short hair again lol. This is gonna be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donated my hair just before christmas. Actually, it served two other purposes at the same time. It was my summative for my civics class, which was to do something active in the community. I also collected donations that I gave to charity. After you cut it, you're going to realize how good of an idea it was. Everything just becomes so much more convenient.

Also, I cut ALL mine off. You don't have balls if you don't get it ALL off.
basst777  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkcr wrote:

Rawrspoon wrote:

Is this a restriction as in "No long hair or you'll all turn into dirty smelly hippies"?
I think its more of a "In case of accidental fire, keep hair short, so you can't sue us for any injuries." Or something like that.
xmaartist  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm do they accept by length or mass? Because I had hella long hair but it was like a fro but then it got weighed down and became dreads, which are much shorter than individual strands of hair. I probably would have hair down to my shoulder but it's now just to the bottom of my chin.
Music is like candy, you throw out the (w)rappers.
People who rap aren't rappers, they're rap-ists, y'know, like art-ists. Which looks suspiciously like the word "rapist".
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basst777 wrote:
rkcr wrote:

Rawrspoon wrote:

Is this a restriction as in "No long hair or you'll all turn into dirty smelly hippies"?
I think its more of a "In case of accidental fire, keep hair short, so you can't sue us for any injuries." Or something like that.
No, as in a "No long hair because you can hide guns under there. Also tuck in your shirts because you would obviously bring guns to school in your shirt rather than in your backpack"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: