ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Band, guitar, FX volume settings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emptyset  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Band, guitar, FX volume settings Reply with quote

Has anyone experimented with different volume levels for each track and found a balance that works better for them? Personally, I've found that leaving the guitar at 11, the backing band at 7 and the FX at 3 make it easier to focus more on what I'm playing. You know, without the big "PLINK!" from missing a note and for songs where you can't stand the vocals, they don't piss you off as much.

But what's pretty fun to do is to turn FX and band all the way down, and leave the guitar at 11. Hearing the part on its own with nothing else is certainly interesting (and humorous at times). Give it a shot and see what it does to your high scores, or share what balance works for you. Or if I'm a fool to use anything other than 11/11/11.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now started messing with it today. It actually helped me on the Breaking Wheel figuring out some of the rhythm. The guitar sounds a lot crappier by itself though, just like me playing on a little amp in my room.
ES942  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Band, guitar, FX volume settings Reply with quote

emptyset wrote:
Has anyone experimented with different volume levels for each track and found a balance that works better for them? Personally, I've found that leaving the guitar at 11, the backing band at 7 and the FX at 3 make it easier to focus more on what I'm playing. You know, without the big "PLINK!" from missing a note and for songs where you can't stand the vocals, they don't piss you off as much.

But what's pretty fun to do is to turn FX and band all the way down, and leave the guitar at 11. Hearing the part on its own with nothing else is certainly interesting (and humorous at times). Give it a shot and see what it does to your high scores, or share what balance works for you. Or if I'm a fool to use anything other than 11/11/11.

i always have the FX turned all the way down. the sound of a random metal guitar power chord after getting a star power combo in more than a feeling doesn't fit at all.
Hellion42  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Band, guitar, FX volume settings Reply with quote

emptyset wrote:
guitar at 11, the backing band at 7 and the FX at 3 make it easier to focus more on what I'm playing.

I think that the default 11/11/11 mix is already too guitar-heavy... lowering the band any would make it more of a monitor-style sound, which apparently you like, lol. Personally I drop the guitar down a notch or two to make it sound more in line with a final mix. Effects I leave at 1... the SP sound doesn't bother me much, but those constant retarded dinks I always seem to hear during Cowboys screw me up even more.

On a side note, they need to give the vocals their own slider in the next game... for one, it can make hated songs marginally more tolerable to play ( to Fat Lip), and two... think GH is a fun party game now? Imagine making fun of the poor sap drunk enough to use it for karaoke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Band, guitar, FX volume settings Reply with quote

Hellion42 wrote:

On a side note, they need to give the vocals their own slider in the next game... for one, it can make hated songs marginally more tolerable to play ( to Fat Lip)

QFT
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is at 11/11/11 except when i play the breaking wheel where i play it at 11 guitar, 0 band, 0 effects. that wa i can only focus on that screwy times guitar in the song and play it for score at it helps (even though in my head, i still hear the band.)
emptyset  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Band, guitar, FX volume settings Reply with quote

The Breaking Wheel is exactly the song I was experimenting with too. When it goes back into the main riff after the series of fast GY chords, the drums and bass really lag when they join back in and it always screws me up.

Hellion42 wrote:
emptyset wrote:
guitar at 11, the backing band at 7 and the FX at 3 make it easier to focus more on what I'm playing.

I think that the default 11/11/11 mix is already too guitar-heavy... lowering the band any would make it more of a monitor-style sound, which apparently you like, lol.
That's the way I like it for TBW especially, because I turn up my system fairly loud when I'm playing. And the separation between the drum/bass and guitar is pretty poor in most sections, so the sound gets too muddy sometimes to hear everything clearly.

Hellion42 wrote:
On a side note, they need to give the vocals their own slider in the next game... for one, it can make hated songs marginally more tolerable to play ( to Fat Lip)
Oh my god, I agree. If I could just have a Cheat on the Church instrumental track, I'd do twice as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im all 11s for my playing

Hellion, if you want Karaoke, then get Singstar ;)
Hellion42  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genga wrote:
im all 11s for my playing

Hellion, if you want Karaoke, then get Singstar ;)

Does it let you play lead and backup plastic guitar at the same time?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was always at 11/11/11. I felt inspired by watching Spinal Tap and decided never to change it, since I felt that my rock experience would be diminished if I wasn't able to have everything full blast.

Although I do agree with the SP sounds. Hearing a super heavy metal chord in the middle of classic rock is pretty bad. Hearing it on Smoke on the Water's funny though. This super slow song...then...out of nowhere....

"BAWOWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried variations before, but I prefer to leave it on 11/11/11. My strumming noise is already a 13 anyway, so I've been ignoring balance for a long time.
EvilByte  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually end up playing 1/2/1 because I put the audio output from my PS2 directly into my guitar amp. Unfortunately, I can only contol the volume on the PS2 itself or if I go through a intermediary source like a VCR or cable box but none of mine have audio input/output as well as a volume control, so it's always extremely loud, which isn't a problem for me, but other people sometimes do not appreciate it! It's really annoying too, because the volume in the menus and song selection screens are set to max volume, so I have to turn it off in between playing songs or I blow out my eardrums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilByte wrote:
I usually end up playing 1/2/1 because I put the audio output from my PS2 directly into my guitar amp. Unfortunately, I can only contol the volume on the PS2 itself or if I go through a intermediary source like a VCR or cable box but none of mine have audio input/output as well as a volume control, so it's always extremely loud, which isn't a problem for me, but other people sometimes do not appreciate it! It's really annoying too, because the volume in the menus and song selection screens are set to max volume, so I have to turn it off in between playing songs or I blow out my eardrums.

You are the only person I have ever heard of that plays through an amp.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it gives it a much more authentic feel. And it's a lot louder than my TV speakers. It's kinda weird using the amp for a real guitar after playing the SG controller, strange transition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nipple401  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Sail Your Ship By with 11 Guitar, 0 Band, 0 FX with some friends. We giggled until we threw up. The second half of the song sounds like something from a Mario game on SNES.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: