ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH5: Neversoft nailed the little touches (and the big ones)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: GH5: Neversoft nailed the little touches (and the big ones) Reply with quote

OKay so i played a ton of GH5 last night and i was really impressed by all the little things they nailed, many of which some people might have not noticed (ill leave off the obvious ones like the huge features every review site in mentioning, or the little things i metioned in my hands on etc), so ill list a non exhaustive list here along with comments (feel free to add on yours cause maybe its osmehting *I* didnt notice).

* the band lobby seamless integration is really awesome. Its so simple to get online to play for BQP (from the main menu it takes what like 2 or maybe 3 button presses to invite somebody to game?). and the online career is great, i was playing with somebody hwo had done a ton of career and i hadnt started yet and the progress was counting in my career even though i couldnt even see the songs and venues that were getting chosen (cause htey were still locked for me).

* Multiple bands. The feature took me a while ot find. Form the main menu its under Options -> Progression. YOu get a bunch of slots to save different career progressions (along wiht band names, logos, and presumably default band loadout). I cant really figure out what 'save' and 'load' options do here separate from the basic progression ones. But htis is great because i like to compartmentalize, and id love to have one band for sotring all the progress i get while online with others (and ill need this one for getting hte 808 stars ach), but also have one that is separate for only my own solo achievements in terms of challenges etc. I didnt check too closely but this seems to affect your score displays in quickplay too (might not though), which means one thing to me at least: 133,337 playlist band at some point in future.

* Band results screen/more stats. Aside form having a really great graphics design (though id rather see 5 physical stars than a star with a numbe in it thats my only quibble), the features are amazing. Not only do you get each players % and streak on the results screen, but did you notice tha thte little each player quick zoom in %/streak/diff slo mo thing at the end of the songs, goes in the order of the highest percent first. So you can have a little intraband rivalry there to get featured first. Also, on the results screen if you push the D-pad it changes the display to show instead of the percents, it shows the individual players score contributions. And the scores do not add up to the total, so its clear that this does not take into account the band multiplier etc, so you get to see your actual individual performance. We need to find some way to confirm this (maybe a song htat can easily be FCed with exact same score in band or not) but its possible that this score is exactly the same as what youd have had if you played the song single player (with the same run), though in terms of the possibility of being saved or maybe SP overflow, its probably not close enough to be able to submit those. Also on the more stats screen the avg multiplier you see also doesnt take into account the band multiplier either, it seems ot be based only on your chart, so this avg multi tells you your personal equivalent star rating in a way that i think is perfectly coherent with the usual SH extended ratings system . Ie you can play a song as band, then chekc more stats and notice that you got 6* or 7* on that song, basedon your personal avg multi. also seeing exact notes hit/total, and SP hit/total is cool too and needed addition for a while.

* i wa sa bit worried about career being non instrument specific, partly cause i was worried about only having one band (luckily solved see above), and partly cause i would hten want to change instruments constantly to do challenges and i was worried it owuld be a hassle. But i tested it out in career and switching from gtr to drums was as easy as just turning one instrument off then turn new one on again, at which point it bumps you to band lobby again (but still signed in as proper profile, and signed in on proper instrument and with all your settings intact - same character slot though). and then becuase i like HS2 on drums HS4 on gtr i have to set that (if you had to play on diff diffs like i do with vox youd have to set that too). Even better from the about to play the song screen in career, you can hange from guitar to bass (and back) at the press of the B fret button, (maybe in quickplay too?) this was very handy when i was waning to change in order to hit hte gtr or bass track, or on songs where i know hte bassline is way awesome (sympathy for the devil, etc).

* Simultaneous entry of songs in BQP (online only i assume). I was doing BQP with four people waiting for others to chooose the song, and i noticed that at the top it says something like 'everybody gets to choose one song', and i noticed that anybody can add a song to the playlist, not just host, or person who's 'turn' it is, and it just appends whatever song you chose ot current playlist. I believe the message about the limit though i didnt test it. then it just adds each song the person picked to the songlist and you can play. Im not sure waht hte options are for changing it in a online play siituation, though i assume there is something like the playlist options you get in local play (add, delete, clear, shuffle, save, etc). Everybody gets their own playlist to scroll (sortable in the way they want, too). Also there seems to be an auto-go type system in place (though i wasnt leader maybe the leader was controlling it). Looked like after anybody added a song to playlist there was a 15 second countdown, during which people could add more songs to it (i think adding a song would restart that), then if that countdown runs out (or maybe leader can speed it along?), then it switches to "finalized playlist: song 1, song 2, etc" and you get a 5 second countdown until the tracks start. I wasnt leader so maybe leader was moving this process along but from my end it looked like it was runnig without me having to do basiclaly anything (while giving me time to do something if i wanted). This should make BQP with strangers a huge breeze, though it might also mean that some retard is decides to trying ot put frampton song into EVERY playlist.

my only sort of big complaint is that for me on my cheap 32" CRT TV, its definitely the case that the grey drum line gets a little bit lost. This was not something i had as a problem at the activision event with the nice plasmas so i think it might be related to the worse display in standard def. Also it gets mouch worse on smalle rnotecharts, ie when you are playign with 3-4 note highways and so its shrunk down. This is not a huge problem but definitely it makes me have to stare a bit more than i should because i have to decide case by case whether each grey line i see on the screen is a pedal it, or a beat/measure marker. Several times in tough spots on easy songs, my brain would mis-assign and id either drum a measure marker cause my brain thought it was a pedal hit marker, or failto drum a pedal hit marker cause my brain thought it was a measure line. I think the color is the problem - it does look somewhat different from the measure markers and its only a problme a few % of a time, but when you are distracted by other stuff having it be a different color would be a great way to not have to spend that extra brain power distinguishing the patterns. I think like an extra that would let you change the color of the lines (maybe options are default, purple, orange for RB compatibility, and rainbow ie the beginner lines, etc) so that people who found they had this problem could find the color that stood out the best for them. tapping notes are a bit hard to distinguish on my stadard def TV esp with SP up, as well though as with the pedal hits its not so much a all the time problem as its a little extra effort i have ot do to recognize them which can lead to problems if im rushed and make the wrong assignation. Dont bring back the rope though, visually that was so distractign and im glad its RIP.

Last edited by Barfo on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a blast playing with you last night Barfo, and I'm glad you pointed out so specifically all of the things I might not have even noticed.

All in all I really think Neversoft nailed this one. I never had a huge problem with WT, but no doubt NS listened to everyone's complaints and created what I believe is the best Guitar Hero ever. It will be hard to get my work done this evening with GH5 sitting over there, tempting me.

My favorite things so far: I love the little animations after you finish songs. They just feel so badass, I never get tired of them. I also love how they've made playing online SO easy as the game is basically always online. It blows RB2 out of the water as far as I'm concerned (I still love RB2, I'm no fangirl ), so those of you worried about the online after picking up WT should rest your fears. Hopefully I'll get to play with you again tonight and I can take note of even more little details I'm sure I missed.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm sitting here at the computer lab at my campus waiting for my last class and there is only one thought on my mind now. Guitar Hero 5 almost made me skip all four of my classes today just because it was so damn awesome. Every little detail seems to be nailed, and they didn't just focus on the BIG new features. I was engaged in career mode from beginning to end. Even the most simple of songs seemed fun. There was very few times in the game that I had picked a song in which I truely felt bored. It's really easy for me to be bored and lose focus too.

Speaking of Focus mode, I actually... don't like it. As much as I had been dreaming of this mode, the game really loses energy without every dancing around having a good time. I bet it's a great addition for some people (Especially Youtubers who crop out the screen), but I think I'll stick to rocking out under the Golden Gate Bridge and beside a dragon, thanks! The venues are absolutely amazing! Creative venues were something I really missed from WT (there were a few, but still), but I am glad that all of the venues had an edge to them. Then again, I also loved Smash Hits and most of GH:M's venues too. (The stage made out of the MoP album cover. AWESOME) Creative venues are one of the things I really love about the Guitar Hero series*, and I'm glad that there has been more emphasis on them in the latest installment.

I guess my only real gripe is with the vocal system. While it is much better than any other GH and RB game out there, I wish it had a helping pointer like Rock Band, or something similar. For songs I know and love, it's no big deal, but for songs I've never heard before, it makes it really tricky to sing on pitch. It's just a minor gripe. There's always practice mode.

Honestly, I think Guitar Hero 5 is the best GH game yet. Neversoft set that bar real high, and it's a shame that some people aren't even bothering to play the game before judging it. I say this to anybody who gave up on Guitar Hero after World Tour. Come back, or you will be missing out on what I think is the best rhythm game out there.

Still sitting in the computer lab..... I want to go home, so bad. I only have one class tomorrow, and it's in the afternoon. I can sleep in, so tonight's going to be all GH5!

*I'm talking Rock Band 1 and 2, not The Beatles or Lego
sumboxcar182  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of cool things about the drums that they changed:
1)freeform sections not only dont give you points (HECK YES!), they also help your rock meter, which you'll need for brianstorm.
2)Sustains aren't used as often which is a good thing, one thing to note about them though is that it seems that if you hit the note during a sustain and you stop hitting it, the note doesn't stop it just simply waits for you to start hitting it again, it's hard to explain but try it and hopefully my post will make a little more sense.

My one gripe is that i think there needs to be more challenges for each instrument. i'm not saying every song but there needs to be an option for multiple challenges and stuff becuase i'm really loving career mode.
e24412  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do agree that they have (finally) put together a great platform. i'm just disappointed that it took this long - especially since hendrix got wasted on ghwt and is now stranded there likely forever.

after having played all 85 songs, i can say that this game has the hands-down poorest setlist for an expert guitar player. before someone jumps in with an oh-so-clever "[2 or 3 songs] would like to have a word with you", allow me to elaborate:

i am not talking about insanely difficult challenges, i mean just guitar parts that are interesting and varied - even if it's pretty simple - songs that are generally considered 'fun'. for example, even flow in gh3 is one of my favorite charts ever, and it isn't an intense shredfest by any means. many, many times playing songs on gh5, i almost fell asleep because of how mind-numbingly boring the guitar is. play a 5-second riff 30 times over, and if you're lucky, a 15-second 'solo' consisting of sustains. over the course of 85 songs, only twice did i actually think "wow, i really want to play that one again" - younk funk and no one to depend on.

i realize that band games are where it's at nowadays, and guitar taking a hit from that is to be expected. but this setlist takes it to a new level with the sheer quantity of songs that are incredibly boring. and yes, i am thrilled about the ability to import better songs from other games, but that doesn't mean i have no right to be let down with what's on-disc.

cliff's notes: the gameplay has been vastly improved, but the setlist could've been a LOT better.

disclaimer: yes, these are opinions, no need to point that out. also, i'm not talking about the songs themselves, but rather the playability of them (i.e. i like smells like teen spirit, but it doesn't translate well to plastar at all).
Tiduspeco  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all I have to say is this. I had big expectations for GH5 and, well..........It really delivered I'm extremely impressed with it and I believe with GH5, Rock Band 2 doesn't stand a chance anymore.
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumboxcar182 wrote:
2)Sustains aren't used as often which is a good thing, one thing to note about them though is that it seems that if you hit the note during a sustain and you stop hitting it, the note doesn't stop it just simply waits for you to start hitting it again, it's hard to explain but try it and hopefully my post will make a little more sense.

My one gripe is that i think there needs to be more challenges for each instrument. i'm not saying every song but there needs to be an option for multiple challenges and stuff becuase i'm really loving career mode.

Yeah, i noticed htat about drums too but i had forgotten it (thanks for reminder). No more breaking streaks for me on drum sustains (in WT on basically every drum sustain i slow down to omuch and then it stops, and my next hit breaks the streak - that happens to me on so many drum sustains (25-50%) i stopped even tryign to do anythign other than hit the initial hit.

Also what id love to see is the DLC integrating into career, and geting added challenges. They went over every notetrack to add X+, as well as find a couple spots for band activations, surely theyalso could have thoguth of a single instrument or band challenge for each one. Somethign for them to consider for future release.
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question that I might as well ask here: should I even consider getting this for ps2? my 360 has RROD, but I can play on my Dad's or my sister's 360 until I get that fixed. however when I leave for college, I might not have access to a 360 for a while, should I just accept that and stick with 360, or should I get it for ps2, and be able to play it more?
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
sumboxcar182  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
quick question that I might as well ask here: should I even consider getting this for ps2? my 360 has RROD, but I can play on my Dad's or my sister's 360 until I get that fixed. however when I leave for college, I might not have access to a 360 for a while, should I just accept that and stick with 360, or should I get it for ps2, and be able to play it more?

wait for the 360 version. the ps2 version from what i've heard is not really that good, and you'll kick yourself for getting it on that console.
sean2490  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e24412 wrote:
i do agree that they have (finally) put together a great platform. i'm just disappointed that it took this long - especially since hendrix got wasted on ghwt and is now stranded there likely forever.

after having played all 85 songs, i can say that this game has the hands-down poorest setlist for an expert guitar player. before someone jumps in with an oh-so-clever "[2 or 3 songs] would like to have a word with you", allow me to elaborate:

i am not talking about insanely difficult challenges, i mean just guitar parts that are interesting and varied - even if it's pretty simple - songs that are generally considered 'fun'. for example, even flow in gh3 is one of my favorite charts ever, and it isn't an intense shredfest by any means. many, many times playing songs on gh5, i almost fell asleep because of how mind-numbingly boring the guitar is. play a 5-second riff 30 times over, and if you're lucky, a 15-second 'solo' consisting of sustains. over the course of 85 songs, only twice did i actually think "wow, i really want to play that one again" - younk funk and no one to depend on.

i realize that band games are where it's at nowadays, and guitar taking a hit from that is to be expected. but this setlist takes it to a new level with the sheer quantity of songs that are incredibly boring. and yes, i am thrilled about the ability to import better songs from other games, but that doesn't mean i have no right to be let down with what's on-disc.

cliff's notes: the gameplay has been vastly improved, but the setlist could've been a LOT better.

disclaimer: yes, these are opinions, no need to point that out. also, i'm not talking about the songs themselves, but rather the playability of them (i.e. i like smells like teen spirit, but it doesn't translate well to plastar at all).

Right there with ya

WT/SM exportability helps ALOT and so do drums, but I'm still disappointed with the lack of difficult songs. Firstly, they needed to have a final encore song. Scatterbrain won't cut it, and Spirit of the Radio is a joke. Need some more virtuoso work IMO, someone who is well known enough within guitar fans (Paul Gilbert would be amazing and Rusty Cooley would be even better). I know that from a full band perspective an instrumental guitar solo doesn't rank too highly, but the super-hardcore players from SH can have 1 song, right?

I also wish it would have had some more difficulty overall. Megadeth was a perfect band to introduce difficulty on a lesser scale (Five Magics, Holy Wars etc.) but they chose Sweating Bullets...

I wish song selection wouldn't be based on how popular said song is, but more on how well it translates into the game chart-wise.

Otherwise, this game looks amazing (I don't own it yet )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean2490 wrote:
WT/SM exportability helps ALOT and so do drums, but I'm still disappointed with the lack of difficult songs. Firstly, they needed to have a final encore song. Scatterbrain won't cut it, and Spirit of the Radio is a joke. Need some more virtuoso work IMO, someone who is well known enough within guitar fans (Paul Gilbert would be amazing and Rusty Cooley would be even better). I know that from a full band perspective an instrumental guitar solo doesn't rank too highly, but the super-hardcore players from SH can have 1 song, right?

Scatterbrain and Spirit of the Radio are actually fairly challenging, but both actually aren't counted as the last last song like Dragonforce was or Dream Theater. 21st Century Schizoid Man is the final tune you play in the credits which is tough.

But I agree on a lack of difficult songs. There are alot of medium challenges, but barely even a handful of finger burners and I'm not including the imports cause they don't count towards GH5. Not even the DLC coming this month is challenging. I'm hoping the utilize the gift of Megadeth and bring us some DLC since most things from the latest two albums or stuff from Rust in Peace would be pretty challenging.
Stormrider2112  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a TON of fun songs IMO, and about 20 of them have been on my wishlist since GH1 (Sultans pf Swing, Runnin' Down A Dream, Spirit Of Radio, and Superstition are the best songs in the game if you ask me), and quite a few surprises. It doesn't need to be mind-bogglingly insane to be fun, but the sheer number of songs I'm just having FUN with is right up there with GHWT and GH2.

The little features make this the best engine game, and hopefully we get more consistent DLC.

Last edited by Stormrider2112 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Futureal2112
NixxiN  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to pop in and thank those responsible for the inclusion of 2 Minutes To Midnight. Massive Vice City flashbacks over here. The censoring makes no sense (does it ever?) but I can easily overlook that.

Another thing, the engine. Don't change this.

And what's the deal with the slow '07 version of Shout It Out Loud? The original kicks the shit out of this one.

Overall, this is a good game. This was originally just a vehicle for me to get a free, early Van Halen game but some of these are actually really fun to play.

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormrider2112 wrote:
There's a TON of fun songs IMO. It doesn't need to be mind-bogglingly insane to be fun, but the sheer number of songs I'm just having FUN with is right up there with GHWT and GH2.

The little features make this the best engine game, and hopefully we get more consistent DLC.

I certainly agree. Even with all the bands I didn't know, I don't think I've come across anything that I seriously hated to play like Miss Murder, anything Made in Mexico, or Silversun Pickups.

I certainly don't play Dragonforce every day, but after playing a bunch of songs you can beat every time, though very enjoyable, you like to really get into the challenging stuff and really burn out the fingers.
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bodom song left me with a feeling of "lolwut?" and "let's do that again!"

Sure the (guitar) charts are boring at times but the songs themselves are great.

You'd have to be ignorant to not even give gh5 a chance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: