ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH5: Neversoft nailed the little touches (and the big ones)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArmtheHomeless  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly does the Van Halen promotion work?

Do you really need a copy with a sticker or will any copy do fine as long as you register online soon?

I'm going to Buffalo tomorrow (mom's idea, not mine) so while I'm there I figured I'd buy GH5 and get in on the promotion.

Will there be sticker copies available still (if stickers are necessary) or are they all sold out?
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArmtheHomeless wrote:
How exactly does the Van Halen promotion work?

Do you really need a copy with a sticker or will any copy do fine as long as you register online soon?

I'm going to Buffalo tomorrow (mom's idea, not mine) so while I'm there I figured I'd buy GH5 and get in on the promotion.

Will there be sticker copies available still (if stickers are necessary) or are they all sold out?

If your game doesn't have a sticker there is one on the site you can print out.
When you register online you get an email you have to print out and send with the sticker and receipt copy.
BigSnatch  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game has surprised me with the improvements in mechanics and menu choices. My one big gripe about the game which was why I almost didn't buy it is the song selection. Yes I am a Metal-Head and I would love every song to be insane on Guitar, but I realize that can't be the case (though I did like GH:M a lot). It just seems like there is too much easy listening type of songs. Not necessarily songs that are super easy to FC, though there are many, just a lot of songs that are too chill.

I think back to GH1, GH2, and even GH3, and there were a lot of songs that required constant attention to the screen. Now I find myself hitting hold notes or getting to a break in the song, and I miss the next note because I am not paying attention. I am not saying the game is bad, I like it, but I think more than half the setlist is pretty dull.
Well, no, not really. See, with the banana, you have the choice to eat it soon after buying it, avoiding the rotting situation and enjoying some tasty food while it's fresh. The situation with Bat Country, on the other hand, is venting over an inevitability. It's more like "Death, taxes, and 12-year-olds overplaying Avenged Sevenfold songs online."
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is something different with the hopos, I can't put my finger on it.
NightmareJG  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing the hell out of the game since I got it.

Engine/Game mechanics-wise this is the best game since GH2. Setlist-wise it's not the best (behind GH:80's,GH2,GH:M,GH3,GHWT in order) But to be honest, with the number of guitar hero games there are now, this is to be expected. And I actually enjoy a lot more of the songs than I thought I would going into this.

Party Play is amazing, the vocal engine is finally perfect, and the graphics are mind-blowingly good. Importing and DLC compatibility pretty much destroys any argument about the setlist sucking, plus gives you a ton of songs to draw on for party play.

Also: this.
Hafkie wrote:
I found a solution for all of the "boring" songs.

Stand up, and move a little bit. You don't have all dance a bit or anything, but if you just bob your head, you'll get "into" it and starting have a blast. Or, just play in a band. Always helps. Hell, the game even tells you to.

I haven't had a chance to mess with online at all, due to my gold having run out. But just playing alone is a blast.

P.S. - Hypersphere is the best venue ever.

SHADE45.  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGN finally got their heads out of their asses and wrote a good review for once on this game.

They got all the good points right and all the bad points right. The only real complaint I have is that the setlist is varied just for the sake of having big named bands and not more challenging or fun songs. Other than that, the game is great and IGN agrees.
StormEagle  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody clear me up about the hitwindows for guitar? Is the hammer-on hit window like in World Tour or is it more loose like in Metallica? What about fast strumming? I think the Metallica engine made is a bit too easy on the hopos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StormEagle wrote:
Can anybody clear me up about the hitwindows for guitar? Is the hammer-on hit window like in World Tour or is it more loose like in Metallica? What about fast strumming? I think the Metallica engine made is a bit too easy on the hopos.

I think it's tighter, I also think they made it so you can't hit the notes between hopos anymore.
Trexxen  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I know I said this in another thread, I'm going to say it again here. To anyone who thinks that the guitar charts in this game are not varied enough, or boring, I encourage you to play Do You Feel Like We Do?; as even though it is a 14 minute long song, it's the most fun I've had in any GH/RB game, period. It has riffs, verses, and choruses; yes, but pretty much at exactly the time you get bored of what part you're playing, they switch it up. At first it's all linear verse/chorus stuff, then you get a guitar solo, another verse, keyboard solo, awesome talkboxing, and more soloing at the end. It's not hard in the slightest - but that just means that no Expert player should have to worry about failing ~10 minutes into the song.

As for the little touches, I'd like to point out that if you have a group of friends with you then you should definitely go into Jam mode every once in a while. Experimenting with it can create some pretty cool stuff; and it's probably one of my favorite parts of the game. =D

~Trexxen
toymachine  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaksiel wrote:
sean2490 wrote:

I wish song selection wouldn't be based on how popular said song is, but more on how well it translates into the game chart-wise.

It seems like they made plenty of choices not based on song popularity. "Why Bother?" isn't anywhere near the top of the popularity list for Weezer, for example.

Which turns out to the most fun Weezer song to be on disc yet.
DeusExProcella  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
Jaksiel wrote:
sean2490 wrote:

I wish song selection wouldn't be based on how popular said song is, but more on how well it translates into the game chart-wise.

It seems like they made plenty of choices not based on song popularity. "Why Bother?" isn't anywhere near the top of the popularity list for Weezer, for example.

Which turns out to the most fun Weezer song to be on disc yet.

I agree, which proves that we need more stuff from Pinkerton. Pink Triangle and Tired of Sex come to mind
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Consanguinity Wii Friend Code: 519807246797
Barfo  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am firmly convinced that all the people who are saying that hte setlist is 'boring' are playing the game wrong. I have been playing throught he first 6 or 7 venues on career mode, and every single song i have played has been interesting and ive had fun with it. How do i acheieve this amazing feat? instrument challenges, i went through playing the songs on the instrument it tells you (gtr/bass, and i did some drums on tuesday but not yesterday cause i was on gtr roll) and going for the challenges, and every chart i played was at least interesting (well not hte god-awful coldplay song, but de gustibus). Sure i can five star these songs easily and in most cases i was getting 6.5 to 7 stars (except sympathy for the devil on bass which is my only non-5* of a scoring run), but all of the charts are interesting at least. Trying to intelligently pick a song for the sponsor challenges also tons of fun.

Also in the spirit of the OP, has anybody noticed the 'rock record' that you can see if you select somebody's name from the leaderboards? Hint: its awesome if you are a 'random stats nerd' like me. Leaderbpoards are really neat (i love the little graph on the right), but they really need to be accessible after every song (just display your just-obtained score as a pseudo score in the list, you could even do it where it shows your 'old' score on the list too aongside your 'just completed' score so you can compare).
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:
StormEagle wrote:

I think it's tighter, I also think they made it so you can't hit the notes between hopos anymore.

I agree, it does feel a bit tighter. But still not as tight as Rock Band.

Barfo wrote:
Trying to intelligently pick a song for the sponsor challenges also tons of fun.

YES. This is a great point. The generic challenges really force you to know the structure of the the songs in your setlist and choose wisely among them. I proudly chose "Everlong" on the chord-hitting challenge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:

Also in the spirit of the OP, has anybody noticed the 'rock record' that you can see if you select somebody's name from the leaderboards? Hint: its awesome if you are a 'random stats nerd' like me. Leaderbpoards are really neat (i love the little graph on the right), but they really need to be accessible after every song (just display your just-obtained score as a pseudo score in the list, you could even do it where it shows your 'old' score on the list too aongside your 'just completed' score so you can compare).

I just noticed this last night as well. I'm interested to see how many total notes I have hit when I go through all difficulties on all instruments.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: ChAoSnOvA65707 PSN Name: Mike
Barfo  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike65707 wrote:
I just noticed this last night as well. I'm interested to see how many total notes I have hit when I go through all difficulties on all instruments.

hmm when i saw this feature my reaction was sort of different and two fold. First i thought: 'i hope this will reset to zero if i change bands, or maybe if i use a HDD profile'. And my second thought was: 'okay how can i get the maximum number of these numbers to display variations of 1337 at the same time'... I dont have a good answer to either question yet.. ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: