ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH5: Neversoft nailed the little touches (and the big ones)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys done?

...anyway, I decided to play Pro Faceoff today, and sadily, I couldn't find any other expert players, but a box popped up asking me if I was willing to play with others who are on Hard. THANK YOU for not forcing us to play with lower difficulties anymore! Pro Faceoff with strangers is fun again!
ridetheexpres420  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, i was really impressed with the overall tweaks. honestly fixing all the little things made the game a huge improvement over its not so awesome prodecessor. good job neversoft, you made it so that the songs that some might not particularly like really fun by charting them super fun. Du Hast sounds retarded just listening to it but is super fun to play so the trade off is good. the challenges really sold me though, its fun earning 8-9 stars on one particular song and now GH recognizes FC will 6 stars?!?!?! great job and might i say this game is quite fun. i havent been able to sit down and play GH 6 hours straight in a long time. I love how you dont need a bassist, drummer, and singer only to form a band session, now you can have any combinations of each. perhaps one of my favorite new features is PICKING THE BAND LINEUP!!!! I re-created the nameless singer, drummer, and bassist and set them as my line up. I'll post a vid of them when I get the chance. Rockfest is extremely fun, you can play with all different difficulties and not feel like you are at a disadvantage. the music studio fell short in my opinion, but i havent really toyed around with it too much so perhaps that will change. career is A LOT easier to follow and understand as opposed to the certain layout of last years GH....... overall GH5 does not dissapoint!!!!! if you are going to buy a GH game thats not GH2, GH3, or GHSH then this is definetly going to be your top choice.

Neversoft excellent job!!!!

RedOctane- still have yet to test drive the new controllers but from what i've heard that aren't doing so hot.......
ridetheexpres420  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post, sry.
GenericName  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy the game. It's great except for a few things -

On the Wii, the fretboard doesn't stay the same speed when you play multiplayer like it does (I'm assuming it does) on 360/PS3. This is really only a minor inconvenience as hyperspeed is easily accessed before doing multiplayer.

My other complaint is, obviously, the setlist. I don't think it's as bad as most people say, and I'm not the "BAAWW NO HARD SONGS" type. It's just that about half of the songs I played were just.... so mind-numbingly boring... (This is on guitar). There were a lot of songs that I nearly sightread FC'd that I still enjoyed playing. BUt there were about 30 songs or so that I can't even distinguish from each other because... there was nothing interesting in them. The other 55 or so songs are pretty fun though.

Oh, and on the Wii, the bass pedal line on drums looks... odd. Much different than what I've seen in drum videos from the 360 and such.

But what I really, really love about this game... importing/WTDLC compatibility. This makes the game at least 10 times as good in my opinion. I think I play my imports/DLC more than I play the on-disc songs...

Oh, and it has 21st Century Schizoid Man (or howevery you spell it.) That also makes it epic.

So yeah. I like the game.

TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played through all the songs and I must say there isn't a bad banana in the bunch. *IMO*

The songs aren't as boring as I first thought. The only boring song to me is Du Hast, but the song itself is still good.
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenericName wrote:
I really enjoy the game. It's great except for a few things -

On the Wii, the fretboard doesn't stay the same speed when you play multiplayer like it does (I'm assuming it does) on 360/PS3. This is really only a minor inconvenience as hyperspeed is easily accessed before doing multiplayer.

My other complaint is, obviously, the setlist. I don't think it's as bad as most people say, and I'm not the "BAAWW NO HARD SONGS" type. It's just that about half of the songs I played were just.... so mind-numbingly boring... (This is on guitar). There were a lot of songs that I nearly sightread FC'd that I still enjoyed playing. BUt there were about 30 songs or so that I can't even distinguish from each other because... there was nothing interesting in them. The other 55 or so songs are pretty fun though.

Oh, and on the Wii, the bass pedal line on drums looks... odd. Much different than what I've seen in drum videos from the 360 and such.

But what I really, really love about this game... importing/WTDLC compatibility. This makes the game at least 10 times as good in my opinion. I think I play my imports/DLC more than I play the on-disc songs...

Oh, and it has 21st Century Schizoid Man (or howevery you spell it.) That also makes it epic.

So yeah. I like the game.

Sounds like an oxymoron, but which songs were most forgettable in your opinion?
GenericName  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:

*goes to look up song list to see which songs I've forgotten*

Stuff like...

Attack! Attack! - You and Me
Band Of Horses - Cigarettes, Wedding Bands
Beck - Gamma Ray
Brand New - Sowing Season (Yeah)
Bush - Comedown
Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
KISS - Shout It Out Loud
Love & Rockets - Mirror People
Motley Crue - Looks that Kill
Scars On Broadway - They Say
Spacehog - In The Meantime
Sunny Day Real Estate - Seven
T. Rex - 20th Century Boy
The Duke Spirit - Send A Little Love Token
Vampire Weekend - A-Punk

Those I almost didn't know were in the game after reading through teh list of songs in the game again. A few I recognized, and remembered teh charts being really bland.

So I guess it's less than 30, more like 15 or so. So that makes about 70 songs that are interesting... which is how many songs GH3 had.

Eh, so maybe the setlist isn't THAT bad.

StormEagle  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenericName wrote:

Then how the hell is partyplay with hyperspeed gonna work?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing Neversoft needs to do now is DLC, obviously.

I have some RB DLC but honestly, I don't like RB nearly as much. I'd rather buy all the songs I like for GH, so I'm hoping they get on the wagon quick. Like Megadeth - Endgame comes out soon, I bet some of those songs would be a 9-10 in intensity. Or Alice in Chains new album Sept 29th...we could have those, but Rock Band might grab them.

Here's to hoping.
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenericName wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

*goes to look up song list to see which songs I've forgotten*

Stuff like...

Attack! Attack! - You and Me
Band Of Horses - Cigarettes, Wedding Bands
Beck - Gamma Ray
Brand New - Sowing Season (Yeah)
Bush - Comedown
Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
KISS - Shout It Out Loud
Love & Rockets - Mirror People
Motley Crue - Looks that Kill
Scars On Broadway - They Say
Spacehog - In The Meantime
Sunny Day Real Estate - Seven
T. Rex - 20th Century Boy
The Duke Spirit - Send A Little Love Token
Vampire Weekend - A-Punk

Those I almost didn't know were in the game after reading through teh list of songs in the game again. A few I recognized, and remembered teh charts being really bland.

So I guess it's less than 30, more like 15 or so. So that makes about 70 songs that are interesting... which is how many songs GH3 had.

Eh, so maybe the setlist isn't THAT bad.

Haha, I disagree with some of those actually. Seven is really fun on drums, Mirror People is just a cool song, In the Meantime is a decent song on all instruments, and 20th Century Boy has some fun strumming in it.

Being as most of them are just there to fill out the lower tiers they do a good job. I like almost all of them as songs.
opethian  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumboxcar182 wrote:
alexhaz64 wrote:
quick question that I might as well ask here: should I even consider getting this for ps2? my 360 has RROD, but I can play on my Dad's or my sister's 360 until I get that fixed. however when I leave for college, I might not have access to a 360 for a while, should I just accept that and stick with 360, or should I get it for ps2, and be able to play it more?

wait for the 360 version. the ps2 version from what i've heard is not really that good, and you'll kick yourself for getting it on that console.

Yep. I have the PS2 version (upgrading my system around Xmas but broke right now), and I have to say the PS2 version is so neutered, it's not even funny. The PS2 versions are always inferior, but this seems like a special case. It's still a step up from World Tour just because GH5 is, at its core, a better game, but the features are so limited that it just feels like another GH game. It's enjoyable, but we don't get to feel the innovation and many of the gameplay improvements that everyone else talks so much about.

As for the setlist, it's all subjective. The songs are so diverse that I can't believe that someone could like every song. For me, the setlist is pretty good, but there's too many 00's songs for my tastes. That was my least favorite decade for rock music. Although, compared to other GH games, there are more songs that I dislike, there are also more songs that truly excited me. "Sympathy for the Devil" is a blast on Guitar and Bass, in addition to simply being a good song, and I was flat-out giddy when I saw "Sultans of Swing" and "21st Century Schizoid Man".
LUIGI074  

Location: I'm everywhere. That's what happens when you're a geek XD.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very impressed with this game. The guitar engine is perfect for me now. I don't think I heard many issues arising from the engine or charting right now. Vocals is more fun than GH:M, but for some songs like The Rock Show, it still needs to be loosened a bit IMO, but whatever, it's just one song and I don't really care much about it anyway due to its presence in RB. I haven't gotten to drums yet though I keep hearing about problems with it here. I'll have to see what that's about though once I get the chance to play it.

The only real gripe I have is that for competitive play modes, I can only really find people in PFO and Rockfest. I cannot seem to find anyone in any of the team competitive modes, though I do like the fact that they addressed the issue of the lack of vocalists in Band vs Band despite still not finding anyone (any bassists out there? XD). I also like the different instrument combinations as it prevents one person from hogging guitar or another instrument (which I didn't like in WT), though it does make it harder to find someone OTHER than a guitarist. Most of the people I play with on BQP are guitarists and I rarely get anyone that's playing a different instrument, but I doesn't bother me that much so I don't care much about this issue.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this game. Oh, and Party Play rocks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the black sheep then.

I didn't hate the game by any means, but I wasn't enchanted, excited or enthralled as many others here appear to be. I had a hard time convincing myself to play the Career mode, considering all the songs were unlocked for the go. The songs that I really liked were the ones I already knew, I didn't feel the need to go and discover the rest of the songs like I did with previous games, so that probably lead to a bit of boredom. (I guess I'm crazy, but one of my favorite features was having to play songs I had never heard before in order to actually progress.)

Having this feature removed made me just rush to songs like Ring of Fire, Smells like Teen Spirit, or Spirit of the Radio, ones that I knew I liked, and I knew I would enjoy on plastar. After exhausting that list of maybe...15 songs? I was at a loss with what to do next, it wasn't until my brother got home from school that I was able to enjoy a career mode, but even though we switched up from guitar/bass, and drums and even vocals (even though I suck at this engine) It just wasn't the experience that I was hoping for. GH5 is definitely the best Neversoft Guitar Hero game, but I'm not jumping the RB ship yet.
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, another PS2 version here. The PS2 version lacks the achievements, rock star creator (is way more limited, anyway), music creator, online play (obv.), and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

The setlist isn't bad. I, as well, jumped to Quickplay and played the same 7 or so songs on vox and 8 on guitar. Now I'm forcing myself to go through the career. After this, there'll be near nothing left.

I'm gonna buy a Wii for my mom for her birthday Friday (hopefully I can find one). After another paycheck or two, I'm gonna buy a GH5 band bundle, as well as some Wii Points to import WT and get some good DLC. With the addition of my Wii Les Paul, I'll have a full band (allowing me to finally try out GH drums). Plus my little sisters like vox/guitars; my mom likes vox but is kinda bad...

Anyway, I'll be back in a few weeks (maybe less) with a Wii review.

[Was gonna type something here, but forgot - this is a placeholder in case I remember]
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avagar wrote:
(I guess I'm crazy, but one of my favorite features was having to play songs I had never heard before in order to actually progress.)

Big Hint: Start going for challenges. There wasn't many incentives to play songs I didn't know too, but once you start going for the challenges, you end up really enjoying the songs you missed. Especially on the instrument you might have missed if you were only guitaring through the entire setlist. (Actually, some of the SHer's guitared through the entire game, bawwed about the "easy" songs, but COMPLETELY IGNORED the AWESOME bass lines in the game, just because they were bass and not "omgwtfsolo" hard)

I'm 25 or so away from all 101 challenges diamond, and I like over 75% of the setlist now, compared to how I was before the game came out, which was about 30% to 50%. It's a blast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: