ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH5: Neversoft nailed the little touches (and the big ones)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More little touches i noticed. The little meter that shows you your star progress starts out gold when you have an FC and then turns to silver/grey when you blow the FC (whether on the first note or anywhere else in the song). Also the star number indicator has a wider gold outline while you have FC, that goes away when you blow FC. This works in band mode too, and the color reflects the FC status of your individual part only (at least online, if you are playing in a local band im not sure what it does it probably reflects the band status). So at any point in a song, you can look down at the star status and see if you have FC, even when playing in an online band where so much is going on you might have missed it.

The competitive modes for this game are just totally amazing online, and i usually hate competitive modes. The 8 player matches are really cool, especially rockfest ones, and i love how when you have more htan four players it just shows you your highway only and then a list of the other people's status. The '1st'/'2nd'/etc indicator is perfectly positioned and for yourself at least its not too tough to see. And the way they did the team multiplayer is awesome. It displays your individual score above your chart and your streak as well as your overall place compared ot every individual playing on your team, and then also (for the regular points modes like team momentum and team PFO) shows the total score, which is affected by band multiplier when people on the same team streak together or overlap SP in the same way as in a band situation. The team competitive interface is just plain awesome, i didnt appreciate it until i was about 5-10 games in, but after i got used to how it was set up it just amazed me how much info they managed to pack into there and in a way where for the most part you can see it and use it.

Avagar wrote:
I had a hard time convincing myself to play the Career mode, considering all the songs were unlocked for the go. The songs that I really liked were the ones I already knew, I didn't feel the need to go and discover the rest of the songs like I did with previous games, so that probably lead to a bit of boredom. (I guess I'm crazy, but one of my favorite features was having to play songs I had never heard before in order to actually progress.)

This is more the fault of the way you are looking at the game than the game itself. The idea that this feature was removed is incorrect, in fact it was greatly improved, and they also implemented it ina way taht wont be unfair to people who are not completionists. The songs are all unlocked on QP for the people who dont like ot have to play songs to progress (myself not among them), but for people who DO like to play all songs to progress, there are plenty of obvious ways that hte game is incentivising you to play everything and do everything. Have you obtained every unlockable outfit/unlockable from the challenges? Do you have 808 stars? 909? Start a new band progression and see how many stars you can collect using only expert. Go for those things, and your problem is solved multiple times over. And ill bet that like Hafk and me, you will also end up appreciating a ton more of the setlist once you work through playing the career mode in the way it was obviously meant to be played and enjoyed (by completionists).
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, watching modes like Team Do or Die, or Team Momentum are hilarious. There's TEN scores on screen in 8 player matches. But even then, with all those numbers, it still manages to be really effective and great as an interface.

My favorite Rockfest mode happens to be Team Elimination. When you fail out, there's just so much anticipation when watching the suriving bandmates hang on and try to avoid being in last. Hell, one guy even said "Remember to save your SP for the three note chords!" Just a random guy online. Of course, that's pretty obvious, but I admire the fact that it is a mode that actually supports team encouragement instead of just plain silence, or even worse: "Hey buddy fuck you, I just need this for the achievement, and now I have to do this all over AGAIN. *insert more swears here*"

And the fact that a couple of buddies can just go online and play in a team together. It's like playing a round of Halo or Call of Duty, except even better, because it's Guitar Hero!
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
More little touches i noticed. The little meter that shows you your star progress starts out gold when you have an FC and then turns to silver/grey when you blow the FC (whether on the first note or anywhere else in the song). Also the star number indicator has a wider gold outline while you have FC, that goes away when you blow FC. This works in band mode too, and the color reflects the FC status of your individual part only (at least online, if you are playing in a local band im not sure what it does it probably reflects the band status). So at any point in a song, you can look down at the star status and see if you have FC, even when playing in an online band where so much is going on you might have missed it.

The fact that the game recognizes FCs at all is one of my favorite things about GH5. Before this point, the series only recognized 100%. Here, it DOES recognize 100% (5 gold stars) AND and FC (SIX gold stars). This is an example of how Neversoft really is in touch with the fans. They know how important FCs are to much of the community and rewards it accordingly.

The only thing about this system that disappoints me is that a strum before the first note or after the last note will negate your "FC". Hell, one time I had the "6" show up on my star indicator, but I strummed at the end and it only gave me 5 stars in the stats screen! Honestly, it's not even an FC it's really recognizing. It's a run with no "mistakes" whatsoever. Clearly the engine recognizes the 6 stars based on whether an errant strum was made, not based on the maximum streak.

Even so, it's a feature that is much appreciated. It isn't going to sell more copies of the game. It's just going to make the fans happy, and that's awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question about something else thats new (to my knowledge) since it is kind of a big feature i guess. what exactly is the "band moment" thing in 4 player band. i dont know if thats exactly what it is called but its something along those lines. it's like the unison bonus in RB, if that helps you figure out what im talking about. i couldnt tell while i was playing but how much does it increase the multiplayer by? if all players playing used star power while in the band moment what would the multiplier be?

i really like that though and i think they used it in all the awesome times of the songs when they get to an epic section (towards the end of the 14 minute song i think when the vocals come back in comes to mind...i think?)

my main complain with the game is the timing window. i got a brand new les paul recently and it is still hard for me to hit big hammer-on solos. maybe i am just too used to the RB engine (or maybe i'm just stupid..who knows)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: I Duckzorz I
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:
quick question about something else thats new (to my knowledge) since it is kind of a big feature i guess. what exactly is the "band moment" thing in 4 player band. i dont know if thats exactly what it is called but its something along those lines. it's like the unison bonus in RB, if that helps you figure out what im talking about. i couldnt tell while i was playing but how much does it increase the multiplayer by? if all players playing used star power while in the band moment what would the multiplier be?

Max multiplier is 11, which is awesome.
sumboxcar182  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing i love which has been pretty much hidden from the game is the rock record. it pretty much gives you a look at all your stats, from number of stars earned over time, to the total time played, to total notes hit, and a ton more. with me being a stats nut i love that this is in the game, athough it's pretty hidden(i only found it in multiplayer but i assume it's in options)
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumboxcar182 wrote:
another thing i love which has been pretty much hidden from the game is the rock record. it pretty much gives you a look at all your stats, from number of stars earned over time, to the total time played, to total notes hit, and a ton more. with me being a stats nut i love that this is in the game, athough it's pretty hidden(i only found it in multiplayer but i assume it's in options)

You can find it under the "Leaderboards" menu, IIRC.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:

The way the band moment works is that you either hit it as a group or you miss it. You hit it by everybody FCing all of it (i believe errant strum breaks it). As soon as anybody breaks it it disappears off of everybody's chart (which actually to me can be jarring). If you hit it then its active for 8 measures (i believe), and it gives you a bonus that depends on how many people are in your band.. The bonus is the number of players less one added directly to the band multiplier on top of any streak or star power bonuses you have. So if you have a two person band you get +1, four person band +3, etc. This bonus is the same even if one (or more?) players didnt have a part in the band moment. Im not sure if this can happen for the other instruments, but i have definitely noticed that sometimes the vocals has no part to hit in the band moment, i was duoing guitar and vox and you can collect the +1 band moment just by hitting the guitar part in at least a few songs i saw it. Its probably a lot less likely to have any moments where drums/gtr/bass dont have a track, but im not sure.
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:

The way the band moment works is that you either hit it as a group or you miss it. You hit it by everybody FCing all of it (i believe errant strum breaks it).

Actually, I've noticed on vocals, if you get a Solid rating, it still sets off band moments. I really enjoy the new vocal engine. The engine is still a little tighter than Rock Band 2, but at the same time, the engine gives compensation in the form of the Solid rating.
GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a little confused over Bad multiplier works.

3x fOR BAND MOMENT
1X For Giitarist
1x for bassist
1x for drummer
1x for vocalist
1x standard

= x8

so where is the other x3 comming from ??
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuardianDemon wrote:

3x fOR BAND MOMENT
1X For Giitarist
1x for bassist
1x for drummer
1x for vocalist
1x standard

= x8

If all four members have a 4x combo, that's a +4
If all four members have activated star power, that's a +4
If all four members hit the band moment, that's a +3

therefore:

If all four members activate star power while hitting a band moment at 4x, that is *11.

Also, for a 3 man band, the band multiplier only goes as high as *8, and for a 2 man band, it only goes as high as *5.

Last edited by Hafkie on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuardianDemon wrote:

3x fOR BAND MOMENT
1X For Giitarist
1x for bassist
1x for drummer
1x for vocalist
1x standard

= x8

Your table is way off.

Breakdown of 11x (four player band):
1: start with
+3: four player 4x streak (+1 for each player after hte first in the streak)
+4: four players with SP up (+1 for each player with SP up, though i think you get +0 if only one person has it up)
+3: active band moment.
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
GuardianDemon wrote:

3x fOR BAND MOMENT
1X For Giitarist
1x for bassist
1x for drummer
1x for vocalist
1x standard

= x8

Your table is way off.

Breakdown of 11x (four player band):
1: start with
+3: four player 4x streak (+1 for each player after hte first in the streak)
+4: four players with SP up (+1 for each player with SP up, though i think you get +0 if only one person has it up)
+3: active band moment.

Which is how 4 guitarists most being on expert on a decent run can get 10 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 points on Do You Feel Like We Do.
Cyberwaste  

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been digging through the nooks and crannies of GH5 and I must say this is the most polished GH to date. The characters all look great and move like they should (yay no blocky drummer movement!) And for me, some of the songs are catchy ("Streamline Woman", 20th Century Boy"), plus singing a lot of the songs is awesome with the fixed vocal system ("Caught In A Mosh", "Dammit"). Also Party Play is the best thing ever, I can play the songs I love but hate playing (I'm looking at you, "Stranglehold") and just have the characters do the work for me. Plus avatar support is a sweet little thing. I haven't made my dude leave yet.

Online banding and competition is something I'm yet to fully explore. But Momentum mode is awesome, really intense to watch the back and forth between score and difficulty. I have yet to explore the rest of the Rockfest options, but will do at some point.

I think RedOctane, Neversoft and Activision have a good thing going now, and shouldn't change a thing.

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
xWINDYxCITYx  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Tour was garbage. I didn't play Metallica or Smash Hits.

But when I play GH5, I get the same feeling I get when I play GH3 (not the same as I get when I play GH2 though, although I doubt any rhythm game will match that for me), and that's a good thing. I don't know how to describe it really. The best way I can put it is that in GH3, even when I FC'ed a song, I would still play it every now and then. Whether it was because I liked the song or the chart. I NEVER had that feeling with WT. I definitely do with GH5.

Replayability is hard to pinpoint in a Rhythm game, as a good setlist can lack replayability somehow. But GH5 has replayability, and it's hard to pinpoint why exactly.

I know that's not really conclusive, but it's hard to explain. The game just has "it". Like a star quarterback in the NFL, you can't put your finger on it, but there's something intangible that just makes the game good.

Excellent job by Neversoft.
--GS Boddhisatva [X] (202k)
--FC The Color and the Shape
--FC Colony of Birchmen [] (GS last run; favorite RB2 song dlc or ondisk)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: