Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Magic: The Gathering, anyone? LOL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Magic: The Gathering, anyone? LOL Reply with quote

Old deck was here. Discuss.

Last edited by Auriscope on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
NixxiN  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never played competitively but I still made decks and all that. I still have them all too. I had a great black deck that focused on +1/+1 counters. Had all the vampires, Mirri the Cursed, Baron Sengir, Spirit of the Night, and some artifacts that moved the counters around. I also had a Ravenous Vampire/Endless Cockroaches combo where you sacrifice the roaches for the vampire (plus a counter) but they just go to your hand each time.

I stopped right before Kamigawa hit so I've been out of touch for a while.

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
ApocalypseDao  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, that's odd, just the other day I looked at my magic cards randomly. Used to play a bunch but not in tournaments or w/e, just with friends. Brings back them memories :P
Shaph  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing in high school, back when Ice Age/Mirage were the blocks, and stopped collecting around the Urza block.

I still draft occasionally if only because I love the challenge of it. Collecting and deck-creating, though, is just too expensive.

So I won't lie: aside from Hypnotic Specters and Dark Rituals I've no idea what the rest of your deck does for cohesion, though it sounds like it has a boatload of big nasties if the names are any indication.

This will never be the only landscape we create.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Shaph514 Wii Friend Code: 5063917987417061
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaph wrote:
I started playing in high school, back when Ice Age/Mirage were the blocks, and stopped collecting around the Urza block.

I still draft occasionally if only because I love the challenge of it. Collecting and deck-creating, though, is just too expensive.

So I won't lie: aside from Hypnotic Specters and Dark Rituals I've no idea what the rest of your deck does for cohesion, though it sounds like it has a boatload of big nasties if the names are any indication.

Eh, I already said it was for laughs. Speed black needs little cohesion as long as the cards are well picked and the mana curve is correct.

Yeah, that deck is far from Type II. I don't have the money to spend maintaining a legal Type II deck, especially a good one. I mainly play casual and draft downtown. Lately I've been winning - something I'm not used to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play, but the friends who got me into it aren't around any more or too broke to keep up the hobby, so I haven't gotten to play in a long time.

When I did play, I ran black-green or black-white decks usually. I have about 6 pretty solid decks and I would usually switch between them for variety. I started playing right around the time Ravnica came out, and my favorites build around a lot of the Ravnica mechanics (I had a few variations of Golgari decks, including a dredge deck with like 120 cards. It worked when I ended up with manna early, but the rest of the time it was a disaster.)

My favorite is probably what I call my Dark Boros deck, which is a red-white-black deck that uses the speed of red-white Boros, but is built around Dark Confidant to double my speed of collecting cards. I have an Isochron Scepter (meant to attach to Lightning Helix) in there and some other crazy stuff, so as long as I can get a few of each color of mana out early, it's a really ugly deck.

Anybody ever played MTG: Online? I've considered it out of lack of having RL friends to play with any more, but would like to hear what others think. What type of cost is involved? Do you enjoy it as much as RL play?

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
Bedlam  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking deck, although I don't really recognize alot of those cards... I haven't played competitively since 5th edition came out lol...

I used to have a nice mono black deck, just based on rushing out quick creatures and spells at my own life's expense. It was quite a while ago, but I don't think I ever lost with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhmmm

My Cleric deck (it's extended) can beat the shit out of that.

x4 demon's horn

x4 megrim

x4 sanguine blood

then ~20 cleric creatures (including doubtless one) = 20 health gain for me && 80 life loss for you, per attack. From just the doubtless one.

:3
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrobob wrote:
hhmmm

My Cleric deck (it's extended) can beat the shit out of that.

x4 demon's horn

x4 megrim

x4 sanguine blood

then ~20 cleric creatures (including doubtless one) = 20 health gain for me && 80 life loss for you, per attack. From just the doubtless one.

:3

Well no wonder, it's black hose >_>. I was actually thinking about minoring white in for disenchant, as black has pretty much 0 ways of removing artifacts and enchantments. But why are you maindecking demon's horn? It's bad unless you're playing against black.

woozerkristen wrote:
I used to play, but the friends who got me into it aren't around any more or too broke to keep up the hobby, so I haven't gotten to play in a long time.

See if there's a downtown shop (unless you live in the sticks like me >_>) where the sell cards. They normally will support Friday Night Magic. I had a similar situation, but recently I started drafting again and made a ton of a new friends.

When I did play, I ran black-green or black-white decks usually. I have about 6 pretty solid decks and I would usually switch between them for variety. I started playing right around the time Ravnica came out, and my favorites build around a lot of the Ravnica mechanics (I had a few variations of Golgari decks, including a dredge deck with like 120 cards. It worked when I ended up with manna early, but the rest of the time it was a disaster.)

I tried playing dredge, but not much beyond the pre-con one. The, y'know, 60 card one that decks itself immediately. I realized Golgari had potential, but not in a 60 card deck. On top of that, my friend had a foil Sisters he wouldn't trade >_>. Did have Sisters or Grave Troll? They seem they would the be bread and butter, along with Putrefy.

My favorite is probably what I call my Dark Boros deck, which is a red-white-black deck that uses the speed of red-white Boros, but is built around Dark Confidant to double my speed of collecting cards. I have an Isochron Scepter (meant to attach to Lightning Helix) in there and some other crazy stuff, so as long as I can get a few of each color of mana out early, it's a really ugly deck.

Yeah, Ravnica was a crazy set, and Boros was a very good deck to run. If you even consider picking it up again, look for people with Panoptic Mirrors. It's like Isochron Scepter, but you can put anything you want on it and it plays it for free. This deck is a situation where I'd rather have a Howling Mine, as you don't have to eat the 1 life and as long as you're playing faster than the opponent, you're fine. Boros is pretty damn fast without extra draw.

Anybody ever played MTG: Online? I've considered it out of lack of having RL friends to play with any more, but would like to hear what others think. What type of cost is involved? Do you enjoy it as much as RL play?

I've never played it, but I'd imagine the cost is the same as the normal game, minus charitable donations or trading. They might even support those too, seeing how it's a TCG. I could never get used to playing virtual magic however, because all the settings I play in (minus that draft that I somehow advanced in) we play with 'loose' rules. Not necessarily house rules or that we periodically break rules, we just run through the phases, whereas all forms of virtual Magic are VERY rigid.

Last edited by Auriscope on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be hardcore into type 2 when I was in texas, Ravnica series. I still have my deck, its amazing on so many levels. It was red/green beat with a sideboard that could take out any zoo deck. Blood Moon wrecks havoc on those decks.

That deck is how I got my nickname. A friend who didn't understand magic was watching me play on Friday night magic. I Attacked with the Ledgewalker (green elf), he takes the damage, in response I played the Might of Oaks with the giant squirrel on it, and won the game. He's like DUDE! You're squirrel from now on!

My main deck is a reanimate deck, black/blue. I'm working on ways to make it more consistent but for the most part it rocks face on both single player and multiplayer. Its draw/discard with a mix of buried alives.

Its sideboard turns it into a mean beast deck, the main set of cards in there has a few beasts, and a one sided stasis combo.

Reya Dawnbringer, Lord of the Pit or Doomsgate, and Yosei the Morning star is one combo that I can use, if I'm playing against multiple, I change that out with Reya Dawnbringer, Brine Elemental and Vesuvan Shapeshifter. Morph Vesuvan every turn, and I have a one sided stasis. If I happen to have the other two creatures in the graveyard, I'll pull out the doomsgate and Yosei. I'm thinking about changing the deck to putting in 4+ creatures that allow me to tap a permanent. I found a sliver that does it, I just might turn the rest of my creatures into slivers.

It'd be a fun way to play slivers, wouldn't it? Reanimate with Reya, use them all to tap anything that comes out, then swing away with Brine Elemental.
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
I used to be hardcore into type 2 when I was in texas, Ravnica series. I still have my deck, its amazing on so many levels. It was red/green beat with a sideboard that could take out any zoo deck. Blood Moon wrecks havoc on those decks.

My main deck is a reanimate deck, black/blue. I'm working on ways to make it more consistent but for the most part it rocks face on both single player and multiplayer. Its draw/discard with a mix of buried alives.

Its sideboard turns it into a mean beast deck, the main set of cards in there has a few beasts, and a one sided stasis combo.

Reya Dawnbringer, Lord of the Pit or Doomsgate, and Yosei the Morning star is one combo that I can use, if I'm playing against multiple, I change that out with Reya Dawnbringer, Brine Elemental and Vesuvan Shapeshifter. Morph Vesuvan every turn, and I have a one sided stasis. If I happen to have the other two creatures in the graveyard, I'll pull out the doomsgate and Yosei. I'm thinking about changing the deck to putting in 4+ creatures that allow me to tap a permanent. I found a sliver that does it, I just might turn the rest of my creatures into slivers.

It'd be a fun way to play slivers, wouldn't it? Reanimate with Reya, use them all to tap anything that comes out, then swing away with Brine Elemental.

Hah. Cool. Now that I think about it, I did have a fairly good W/G type II deck back in Mirrodin -> Kamigawa that abused the draw and land from Solemn Simulacrum to bring out nasties like Yosei, Jugan, and Pristine Angel. It also heavily abused Plow Under to keep the opponent far behind. Sideboard was mainly used against mono-black and artifact decks that thought they were cool, with assorted slagwurm/radix related cards and pro-circles.

...And there is no fun way to play Slivers, Slivers are inherently fun. And I don't think I ever had more fun sideboarding 4 Plague Slivers against the rampant growth (lol) of Sliver Decks in Time Spiral.

Lord of the Pit? He's so two years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, EVERYONE had those things on sideboard just for that reason.

I was just kicking it around, I'd most likely put 4 of those slivers in or find equivalent creatures to do the same thing. I just might go with 4 Icy Manipulators also, but that kinda defeats the speed of Reya bringing a creature out every turn.

I only have one sliver that does that effect, and when playtesting it, I cloned it a couple times and was able to keep everyone at bay, until I got out doomsgate/yosei, then I swung for 20 damage a turn.

Also, NICE on the Xathrid Demon. Doomsgate allows me to gain life though, so it kinda works out.

Its a fun deck, I don't plan on putting any more money into it, just adding cards I happen to have floating around. I need more impulses though.
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Doomsgate? Is that what the card is called or is that a pet name for a combo? Google is unhelpful.

Also, I want this card. So badly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, I added an S.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//carddisplay.php?product=51247

Doomgape.

Also, that card is amazing.
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
My bad, I added an S.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//carddisplay.php?product=51247

Doomgape.

Also, that card is amazing.

I like it.

The Magic dev team got kind of insane after Ravnica.

See

"Ok, guys, let's remake Ball Lightning -- but get this -- it doesn't die! It just comes back later!"

"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA AKROMA IS RED WRATH OF GOD IS BLACK BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: