ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Sowing Season bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dentata  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Sowing Season bug Reply with quote

After searching for a thread about this and coming up empty, I'm wondering if other folks are aware of the display bug in this song, and wondering if it may only be on the Wii (which I would add to my bug report that I futilely submitted to Activision).

The jist of it is that the notes that are displayed for 8 phrases of this song are not the same as the notes that the engine is looking for. The five phrases starting with "Time to get the seeds into the cold ground" and ending with "Before it's coming to an end" are displayed incorrectly, as are the last 3 phrases, starting with "No time to get the seeds into the cold ground" and ending with "Before it's coming to an end"

If you try to sing the notes shown on the screen, the comet will jitter above and below the channel. If you sing the note that is being looked for, it fills in just fine. I'm certain that this is a bug, and not a matter of my inability to sing the phrases.

The real problem here is that a disconnect exists between the note looked for and the note displayed on screen. That is really bad software design (not to mention really bad testing). Once that idea clicked in my head, I believe I've found some other instances where the display is wrong. I hope that I can get them to fix this before they release too many more products, though the odds on that are probably low.

Anyway, is this a known problem? Does it exist on platforms other than the Wii? Are there any other songs with the problem? There is a phrase in So Lonely that I suspect, but I haven't found it yet in order to take it into practice mode, because that song has so many phrases with some variation of how lonely Sting is. But I'll stop for now before I start ranting.

EDIT: Here's the video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZT6vOstsK8

Last edited by Dentata on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ellemennt75  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to ScoreHero my friend.

I've never seen this glitch before. Would you mind making a video to show us?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Ellemennt75
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of like my 7 FCs left to attempt.

My mic has been broken, but I just got a replacement today. I'll take a look and let you know what I think.

For the record, Airshock has FCed it so it's not completely broken.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not too keen on the "boasting of your accomplishments" part of ScoreHero, but there's more to it than that, so I've finally decided to stop lurking.

It is indeed possible to still hit the notes, it isn't that broken. The problem is the note is displayed incorrectly on the vocal highway. If you sing the displayed note, the comet bounced above and below the channel that would normally fill in. If you sing the notes it is looking for, it fills in as normal.

Given that nobody else has seen/mentioned this before now, I suspect that it is a problem caused by the port/localization to the Wii. I'll make an effort at a video, but that will take a bit of time, as I've never made/posted one before.

I posted the bug report on the Guitar Hero boards, which is what the support rep at Activision asked me to do, saying that the devs monitor the boards. Seemed strange to me that they monitor the boards but ignore their own support reps, but probably a case of the different companies involved not talking to each other.
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dentata wrote:
The problem is the note is displayed incorrectly on the vocal highway. If you sing the displayed note, the comet bounced above and below the channel that would normally fill in. If you sing the notes it is looking for, it fills in as normal.

Hmm. I don't understand why you think this is a bug. I watched Air's video, and it looks normal to me.

Forgive me, I'm trying to understand your concern. How are the notes "displayed incorrectly?" These visual notes don't have absolute values attached to them - it's not like you can say "this reads as a F# but is mapped to a D..." If you're claiming that the bar fills in as long as you sing what the game wants, then I don't see what the problem is. That's what's supposed to happen.

Can you explain how the notes are not correctly displayed? Note that the notes are visually relative; a note at a specific height could be a D in one phrase and a G in another. It's bogus, but each phrase is drawn as relative pitches.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that there are a few harmonies floating around in the section you described. It might be a bit confusing at first!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:
Dentata wrote:
The problem is the note is displayed incorrectly on the vocal highway. If you sing the displayed note, the comet bounced above and below the channel that would normally fill in. If you sing the notes it is looking for, it fills in as normal.

Hmm. I don't understand why you think this is a bug. I watched the video, and it looks normal to me.

Forgive me, I'm trying to understand your concern. How are the notes "displayed incorrectly?" These visual notes don't have absolute values attached to them - it's not like you can say "this reads as a F# but is mapped to a D..." If you're claiming that the bar fills in as long as you sing what the game wants, then I don't see what the problem is. That's what's supposed to happen.

Can you explain how the notes are not correctly displayed? Note that the notes are visually relative; a note at a specific height could be a D in one phrase and a G in another. It's bogus, but each phrase is drawn as relative pitches.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that there are a few harmonies floating around in the section you described. It might be a bit confusing at first!

My video is still uploading, and is of such poor quality that I don't know if it will answer your question.

In the meantime, what happens is if I try to sing the melody line (which is not what the scoring engine wants in these phrases), the comet tries to follow the note highway, but can't, so it bounces between being just above it and just below it. If it were behaving correctly, relative to the pitch that the scoring engine wants, it would be well away from the displayed note channel, as the harmony isn't a semitone away from the melody.

The bug, as I see it, is that if you aren't singing the pitch that the scoring engine wants, you get incorrect feedback during these 8 phrases. Instead of showing you how far away you are, as it does with every other song in the game, it tries to put the comet on the displayed note channel, but can't. Watching a video of a FC wouldn't demonstrate the bug, although I'd expect that if the person singing dropped off pitch during these phrases, the comet wouldn't stay right next to the note channel, but instead would bounce down (I'll have to try this).

Video is up now, sorry for poor quality but I think it does show what I'm trying to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZT6vOstsK8

You can see the comet going on either side of the note channel without passing within it. My voice isn't good enough that I could sing a semitone above or below the right note consistently without passing through it occasionally.
Dentata  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that I think I'm a moron. After trying to test a theory about this, I noticed that the comet doesn't behave the way I thought it does when you are way off pitch. I went to some other songs and purposely sang all over the place, and didn't see anything much different from what the video shows.

I'm going to crawl back in my hole and battle the other poor Wii-nees. Sorry to have stirred up a fuss.

EDIT: I'm still not sure about this though.... I don't see how I'm not getting any "painting" of the bar as I pass from below the bar to above it. On longer notes, I'm seeing this on other songs that I'm testing, so I'm still not sure.

RE-EDIT: Nope, this is just how things work, I was wrong. I'll delete this thread later, after those who may have read it get the news.
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not a moron! I think your concern is that the the comet will "cross over" the tunnel but not paint in any of it. But consider that if your voice is switching notes solidly enough, it's effectively skipping the notes in between.

I think that you'll find if you slide from one note to the next slowly enough, you will find the tunnel does fill in.

But yeah, that section doesn't look out of the ordinary to me. Honest mistake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it seems I'm not allowed to delete this thread, I'll explain what caused my confusion:

The comet in this game pretty much just tells you you are sharp or you are flat, not what note you are singing relative to the "correct" note. While I haven't dusted off my Rock Band 2 Disc since I got GH5, I bet if I tried it, the arrow would be showing where you are relative to the correct pitch. Because I spent so much time in RB2, that may have set my expectations incorrectly here.

That said, I like the gameplay mechanics of GH5 much more than I do RB2. No taps, no broken/bizarre talkies (I'll never be able to listen to One Way or Another again without wanting to break something). Scoring based on how well you sing, not just if you fill up the bar. Push-button SP activation, instead of scores being a contest to see who can yell closer to an imaginary line.

Anyway, leaving the issue of my moron-hood as an undecided issue, thanks for everyone's patience. I have deleted the YouTube video; if there is a way to delete this thread, feel free to clue me in.
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mods will take care of closing this thread.

For the record, you're not crazy; many of us have found that the comet makes it very difficult to determine whether you are singing sharp/flat, etc. The RB2 arrow makes it much clearer where you are relative to the correct note.

That said, I agree that GH5 vox are much, much better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite my repeated attempts to convince you of my mental state, you still persist in trying to convince me of my sanity. I've therefore had to resort to extreme tactics to convince you. I believe that, upon looking to the left of this post, that you will finally be convinced
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dentata wrote:
Despite my repeated attempts to convince you of my mental state, you still persist in trying to convince me of my sanity. I've therefore had to resort to extreme tactics to convince you. I believe that, upon looking to the left of this post, that you will finally be convinced

i think you are insane, you love the habs enough to put it in your avatar . /joke i love 'em too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dentata wrote:

Not convinced. The Habs beat the Rangers on Saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: