ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Pathing/SP questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dentata  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Pathing/SP questions Reply with quote

After not finding very many paths filled in on the Scorehero wiki, an idea came to me about a programatic way to search for paths that I might try out. I have a few questions before I start messing with it though.

- Is the duration of Star Power time based or tick based? Meaning, would a full bar of Star Power last the same amount of time no matter the speed of the song? (If it matters, I only care about vocals for this question.)

- Is the file format for the individual songs known? I think that RB2 files are midi files, I don't know about GH5. I don't have access to the files, and know that any set of ripped files on the web would be illegal and possibly infected, so I won't go this route unless I'm sure I can work with the files and get them safely.

- Is there another place where paths are kept? I've seen some discussion of the idea that videos contain the paths. Would there be a problem if I transferred the paths from the videos to the wiki, assuming I gave credit?

- For GH5, I was thinking that an easier notation for paths would take advantage of the streak counter. I wouldn't use that for the wiki, but if I write this program I have in mind, I'd probably use that to denote the right phrase. I screwed up activations following paths in RB2 often because I was trying to count phrases, and it seems silly to do that when there's a counter right there to use, at least if you are going to FC the song.

What I'm thinking of is sort of a brute-force program that would test all the possible activation locations and figure out which one is best. I'm also thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to make it so that a user could customise it to fit what he/she could do, finding the best path even if some phrases are SOLID or lower, and allowing the user to enter the anticipated score for each phrase, since that is so variable this time.

The crappy part of this is that, unless I can read the files, I'm going to have to manually time each song (figuring out the length of time or number of ticks between the end of each phrase). Laziness may win out because of this, but it is still an interesting programming problem to think about. If someone has already written something like this, please spare me from re-inventing the wheel. If there are issues that I haven't mentioned that may cause me grief, please also feel free to clue me in.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure SP drain speed is based on BPM, just like Rock Band. It's definitely not tick-based.

I've never tried to look at the song formats, so someone else will have to answer that question.

Vocal paths aren't very well known for most of the GH games simply because not many people play vocals, and those that do tend to keep their paths a secret (unlike RB where there's a larger community and there's more of a friendly rivalry mentality). RB's overdrive activation points also make testing and communicating paths far simpler, so there's that element as well.
llamaman2  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are able to succesfully complete something like this that would be awesome. It would help improve the already minimal competition around.
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone made Blank Charts for the Paths, I'd give a crack at it. At least a quick google couldn't make a good thing out of it. I'm not good at making blanks, so don't put the usual reply, "LOLZ DO IT URSELF" even if that is the only solution really >_<.
Dentata  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working on trying to figure out how the scores work as you go up in difficulty. It would be much easier if I could use the phrase by phrase scores from beginner, since those are all talkies, but I'm not sure yet that it works as a simple multiplier. My testing so far shows that scores on Hard difficulty are about 4.4 times scores on beginner, which is bizarre enough to need more testing before I feel safe using those.

I have figured out a good way to go about the rest of it. It would help if I could get BPM info on the songs. What I want to do is use a sequencing program I have and tap a button each time I reach an end of phrase to record where the breaks are. SP indeed does depend on beats/measures, not time.

It is disappointing that folks keep this stuff secret, but such is life. It actually does motivate me to work on this though, so it isn't all bad.
kire  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's normal midi's if you are wondering, if you have a wi disk you can rip them with rawksd and then rename the chart file to chart.mid

and you can see it on any midi editor,

I just can't find what format the audio is tho...
Dentata  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much kire. Using this, I now have midi charts for all the songs. The star power info in the charts isn't right yet, but I'm in contact with the rawksd developer and hopefully the next version will fix this. If not, it isn't the end of the world if I have to add them in by hand.

In searching for the midi files, I came across mention of the ".ogg" format for the audio files. I haven't tried it myself and probably won't; all I needed was the midi files. Have you tried .wav? They are so big they might just be that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: