ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Un-Official "Opinions on DJ Hero" Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: The Un-Official "Opinions on DJ Hero" Thread Reply with quote

I figured one of these was needed, as the game is obviously now out and people are starting to pick it up.

Please leave your review of the gameplay, charts, controller, etc in this thread. All kinds of reviews are welcome, both good and bad, but ideally you should have played the game before you review it. Please keep the reviews/opinions from flaming and what not. Explain why you like or dislike parts of the game, how you feel about the music, rather than just "this game sucks" or "this game rocks."

My Review

Gameplay - 9/10
The only reason this isn't perfect for me is that I still haven't gotten my brain wrapped around it all yet. DJ Hero is undeniably fun and unique. If you're tired of Guitar Hero, pick this game up, because I imagine you'll be excited to be struggling at a rhythm game again. It makes use of completely different skills than what are required to be good at GH, and for this I know a lot of us rejoice.

Playing the game is a lot more than mashing buttons as fast as possible. Now it is required to mash, spin, scratch, tap, twist and slide in order to up your averages. All of these things can be nothing short of a mindfuck at times, especially on Expert difficulty, but it's still some of the most fun I've had playing a rhythm game in 2 years.

Set List - 10/10
People have been giving this game crap for a long time due to it's different approach... it's definitely not something I thought ScoreHero would be keen on. We have everything from The Zombies to Eminem, The Jackson 5 to Black Eyed Peas. You may not like all of the songs and artists, but you may find after playing that hearing the mixes that you enjoy some songs you never thought you would. The musical Frankenstein that is made is something entirely different from either song, something you might even like. I know personally, I can't stand Hollaback Girl, but tapping and scratching along to the Feel Good inc/Hollaback Girl mix is just too fun.

I don't particularly love rap or hip-hop, but in my opinion the genre of the game is everything. If I had to pick a genre, I would pick "dance," which is not necessarily rap or hip-hop. I am wishing I had a CD of all the mixes to listen to, I've enjoyed every song so much. Granted, I am pretty open minded about music, many of SH may not agree, but I think this is one of the best setlists in any rhythm game. It's truly a music game, not just a "rock" game or a "pop" game.

Graphics - 8/10
When the opening video leaves you drooling, you know it's going to be good. Some fantastic artists worked on this game. The actual gameplay graphics and art are more or less what you would see in GH. Not bad, not great, just the club getting wild, your DJ scratching away and the notes coming around the highway. What gives this game a 8 on graphics is everything else. The cartoon style, the character designs, the colors, the overall feel. I get such a great feeling looking at the caricatures of various characters or the loading screens. The graphics pull me into the game, and so they successfully did their job.

Presentation - 4/10
As noted in my graphics score, I definitely love the art and style in the game. The reason why presentation is rated low is the fact that it is so difficult to navigate through the game when you're not playing a song. My major being visual communications, this is a huge turn off. My whole job is to make things make sense and easy to use. When there is such a big flaw in the information architecture of the game, it really turns me off. The way the menus are set up annoy me, plain and simple. It's annoying to find where you want to go. I hate that the individual sets are lumped in with everything else. Quickplay, XBL, and the Career should be 3 separate sections like in the other games, but they're not. I also hate that Options are activated with the select button. I was searching forever to find the leaderboards before I noticed that. Artistically it is wonderful, but it's too chaotic to travel through the game for me to give Presentation a very high score.

Controller - 8/10
(I have the regular edition) The controller is surprisingly sturdy and I don't have any reason to believe it will break anytime soon (it's also a lot of fun to use). If you hear anyone gripe about the controller, it will probably be the lack of really defined "snap" in the center of the crossfader. This annoyed me at first, but I found it to get better the more I played and the more my hands got used to where all of the buttons and controls are. My effects knob feels somewhat wobbly, but not as if it is about to break. I'll obviously just be careful with it. I'll put it this way: I don't think we will need a DJ Hero hardware section.

Multiplayer - 7/10
How much can you really do with DJ multiplayer? Like GH1 was, there really aren't enough peripherals out to everyone yet to expect a rich multiplayer experience out of this. Playing DJ and guitar is fun, but can only be done on a few songs, so it gets boring fast. DJ and DJ co-op may be fun, but it can only be done locally as of yet (I hope this changes with future games). DJ Hero's version of PFO is just fine in the sense that its... just a PFO. But I'd love to see more competitive modes like the ones that exist in GH5. Make it happen!

Overall - 9/10
Very fun, unique, and I will entertain myself for a long time. But like any first iteration of a series, there are problems that I'm certain will only be improved and new features expanded on if (when?) there is a DJ Hero 2.

Keep 'em coming.

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Grimnir  

Location: OMG you live in ut or play on psn? add me lets play!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for music - 10, I love all of these songs ^_^

for gameplay - 9, I think a few tweaks are needed. Namely some invul on rewind. It has some invul when it starts the set again. But when you spin it back it is very easy to have a button get pressed, or a note slip by... this should be invul. Sorta like drums in wt when you sp.

menus - omg >_< 1!!!!!!!!!!! this game's menus and options are about as bad as gh1 >_< so primitive... you'd think after so many music games they'd know what to put in a game. no practice mode! complete fail. You can't sort by song or original artist name, this also sucks. You should have all these options.

Controller - frickin win. the crossfader was pretty easy to get down, as was the platter. It's VERY lose .. I wouldn't mind some tightness .. when there are heavy piano type phases the platter will slip while you're pounding buttons and it leads to some easy misses. Also when doing uu or dd scratches, you'll run out of rotation room since you have to keep the button under our finger, but you have to scratch up 8+ times in a row >_<

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added my review... lets get some more thoughts

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
AdamHero  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading your review .

I don't have this game yet, but I'm starting to think about getting it and If I do i will edit this post some time with my opinions. The game didn't sound all that interesting to me at first but now that it's out it really seems like it could be a lot of fun .

4th ever DWDTG FC on November 27, 2010.
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Honestly spamming adds difficulty
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Methods are way easier
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I be disappointed if I've been playing IIDX a while? I was really looking forward to the whole "Wow I suck" feeling when I first got, but considering I've been dealing with eight inputs on a similarly shaped controller I'm starting to think that it won't be as hard as I initially thought. (I'm "that guy" who plays preb's and ExileLord's customs because of the wall of skittles effect. >_>)

I may end up getting it anyway so I can enjoy the music, can anyone who has played both IIDX and DJ Hero compare the two?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auriscope wrote:
Will I be disappointed if I've been playing IIDX a while? I was really looking forward to the whole "Wow I suck" feeling when I first got, but considering I've been dealing with eight inputs on a similarly shaped controller I'm starting to think that it won't be as hard as I initially thought. (I'm "that guy" who plays preb's and ExileLord's customs because of the wall of skittles effect. >_>)

I may end up getting it anyway so I can enjoy the music, can anyone who has played both IIDX and DJ Hero compare the two?

iidx may have prepared you for pianoing. And simple scratching. But it doesn't have crossfader spikes or directional scratch input, both of which are the real difficult parts of djhero. I wish I owned iidx, because these games overlap so little because of their playstyle.. dj hero is more fading / scratching with less intensive piano (although there are some sections) while iidx has insane piano techno lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIDX doesn't have "turntablism" as much as DJ Hero does, you basically hit as many notes that are coming down the screen and you scratch the IIDX turntable either one way or another or sometimes it doesn't even matter.

IIDX is, in my opinion, more score-based and trickier to get than DJ Hero. And then there is the music for each games. IIDX has single tracks, but the Japanese, hell even the English version of the game don't quite have that many "recognizable" tracks than DJ Hero has. The Beatmania US version was a complete flop not just because of the music, but it's scale of difficulty was just completely to complicated and not a lot of people couldn't quite "get it".

Also for the fact that a lot of reviewers (IGN, X-Play) gave the game such a low score ¬_¬.

Anyways, enough of that, onto my review of the game.

Gameplay - 9/10
Like i said before, IIDX/BM was a bit too complicated and hard to do starting off, however, DJ Hero has it so that you start off in the tutorial mode and then get to learn the basics of the game. This is a great way to pretty much introduce a new style of gameplay and to get used to the new controller. I also really like the difficulty scale of the game. Beginner and Easy are PREFECT for true beginners of the game. Medium difficulty fits more to those that get the basics, and want to step up their game. Hard difficulty is a small step from Medium, and incorporates most of the basics and a few of the advanced techniques in the game. Expert pretty much seperates the men from the boys :P.

Music - 10/10
I enjoy all types of music, that's why i have played and seen DDR, IIDX, GH, RB, Pop N' Music, and other types of music games. But none have ever REALLY grabbed me as much as DJ Hero has. I didn't like the fact that you would be playing two songs on one mix, but after listening to the ENTIRE mixes done by FSG and the other DJ's, i can COMPLETELY see why mixes are much better for the game than just stand alone songs being mixed. The music in the game is just ear candy to any music rhythm game lover, or anyone who just loves music.

Visuals - 7/10
Gotta say, the intro to the game was something else XD. Although, the visuals for the game were pretty eye-catching, it's pretty much a bit too..."much". Yes, strobing lights and laser shows are always a god presentation, but they kind of over did it in the sense that maybe they wanted to throw you off? I don't really know. The visuals are good, i just think they overdid it a bit too much, i feel like i can get a seizure if i keep starring outside the little turntable scroller XD.

Controller - 8.5/10
With a new game comes a new controller. Amazingly, i saw that one video showing the first concepts of the game. THANK GOODNESS we did not end up with the VERY first one XD. Anyways, looking at the controller, seeing the buttons ON the turntable might get people confused. Surely, the buttons should be outside right? Well, for DJ Hero, they actually managed to make it sound a lot reasonable and actually make it pretty understandable as well. Overall, the controller is really well-put and well-placed. it fits the gameplay and overall "look" to the "DJ feel". Buttons are quite loud, but not too loud, the crossfader has a "middle" part where you can set it there and you can "feel" the center of the crossfader, which i think can help out a lot of beginners entering into crossfading with the controller. And the rest of the controls are hidden away underneath a little tab on the top left side of the controller, which can be lifted to navigate through the menu/other things.

Overall - 9.5/10
This game holds many truths. It did bring something completely new to the table, and provides a very good learning curve for those who want to stat playing the game and for those who can quickly master the turntable controller. One of it's biggest factors is also the music that it contains, mixes from the past to the most recent tracks being played, this game just has the potential of creating a whole new genre of music rhythm playing. I really can't complain about this game, it was totally worth my pre-order and the $120 for the standard kit. I DO hope that a 2nd version comes out, namely, one that allows you to mix two songs and have a "create a DJ" mode :P.
Kingofterrors  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give a short reviews based on the 30 minutes I just played it at best buy and why I won't buy it.

GOOD THINGS:
The game is pretty. Graphics/interface are very nice looking and well designed.

The controller is pretty nice ( i played on the expensive one ). Smooth/easy to understand. While i hate pretty much every song i played it was still somewhat fun regardless.

BAD THINGS:
The worst part about this game for me is the difficulty ( or lack there of ). Now let me explain. I'm sure there are MUCH harder songs than the ones i played. I couldn't even tell you the names of the ones i played since i don't have a mind fuck of a clue about that music. But I didn't expect to pick up the game the first time and 5 star 3 out of the 5 songs i played first run. I'm not bragging, just pointing out my experience.

I had hoped there would be a bigger learning curve to this game as I like many others have grown mostly bored with guitar hero. ( probably gonna try to find a copy of IIDX )

For a lot of people this will be a really nice new thing. Great overall appearance. Nice controller. I'll admit they pulled it off A LOT better than i had ever thought. The game was fun. But for me the fun would be short lived after spending a few weeks playing i think i'd probably be very competent on expert to the point of fcing a lot of the songs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingofterrors wrote:
I'm going to give a short reviews based on the 30 minutes I just played it at best buy and why I won't buy it.

If you were playing the Best Buy demo I'm going to assume it's on Hard as the max difficulty >_>
sextypething  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
Kingofterrors wrote:

If you were playing the Best Buy demo I'm going to assume it's on Hard as the max difficulty >_>
Yeah, I have a feeling you were either playing Expert on the first couple tiers, or playing Hard, cause, this game has a decent difficulty curve, even for those more talented rhythm gamers. Especially with the mono-directional scratching.

With that said, I give the game a 8.5/10 (Although I've probably only clocked in 5-10 hours in the game since release day, I've been incredibly busy, and currently have 49% Completion)

Some notes...

- The 'menus' are difficult to navigate through.
- I like the way the stars are shown.
- The setlist is interesting, everyone should be pretty happy with the selection.
- The turntable peripheral actually feels solid, although I have the renegade edition, I don't think this makes much of a difference.
- Expensive DLC...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xTHExLOCUSTx
Grimnir  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, there is a strong jump in difficulty between hard and expert. Once you have cross fade spikes and directional scratches, you will feel the suckage... I bet in a few months most ppl will have some fc's. I doubt anyone will have this game f/c'd in 6-9 months at least <_<

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
Kingofterrors wrote:

It wasn't a demo. It was the renegade version of the game/controller setup in the middle of the store. I would say i could have been mistaken if i hadn't actually changed the difficulty from medium to expert when i started.

And i'm sure whatever i played were easier songs on expert. However i expected to have to go back to the basics with this like starting out on IIDX/Guitar hero/dance dance ( i'm useless at DDR ).

I just wasn't happy with the fact i could play it the first time and 5 star 3 expert songs out of 5.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you are amazing at Guitar Hero so it shouldn't really surprise you that you are 5*ing the first few tiers.

Someone give this man an unlock all code >_>

Actually put this code in to the retail slot if you go again "d1g?" try those songs >_>
Kingofterrors  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
well you are amazing at Guitar Hero so it shouldn't really surprise you that you are 5*ing the first few tiers.

Someone give this man an unlock all code >_>

Actually put this code in to the retail slot if you go again "d1g?" try those songs >_>

I'm not saying that I'm gonna be able to beat the insane songs :p. But yea i will. I might go try some more songs tomorrow and see how i feel about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first three songs are NO representation of the game's difficulty. The second tier ramps up the difficulty a LOT. And it gets ramped up in a similar fashion with every tier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Consanguinity Wii Friend Code: 519807246797
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: