ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Suggestions for designing the ideal GH vocals system?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Cam-H wrote:
Icemage wrote:
Incorrect.

It could be a Wii thing, as this is a problem for me whereas it doesn't seem to be for you.

I went back and tried A-Punk on Easy, and the effect is that the comet just slides back to the 'middle' vertical position when I go for those very low pitched phrases. 'think13' and 'yksi-kaksi-kolme' have respectively got good scores on A-Punk and In My Place (another one that slides into low pitches that I can't seem to get the game to recognise until I change the way I sing it) using the Wii.

I'd be curious if they or others using the Wii and singing in a deep octave range have struck this.

Are you using the stock microphone? That might be your problem. The stock mics that come with Rock Band and Guitar Hero games both have pretty lousy low frequency detection.

I dunno, I've always been a standard GH mic user, and I haven't really had any low frequency issues.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:
I dunno, I've always been a standard GH mic user, and I haven't really had any low frequency issues.

No offense dr00bles, but you're a high baritone/tenor; I sincerely doubt you can make your voice go low enough for you to ever notice the low range problems on these mics. Generally speaking I can get a typical RB or GH microphone to register any note down to about F2. Anything lower than that is just depends on the mic. Some stock mics I can get to register as low as D2. I've never run across a stock mic that can consistently register a B1.
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
dr00bles wrote:

No offense dr00bles, but you're a high baritone/tenor; I sincerely doubt you can make your voice go low enough for you to ever notice the low range problems on these mics.

My Ring of Fire video would like to have a word with you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:

The lowest note in Ring of Fire is a D2 on the last phrase. As I mentioned, all of the stock mics I've encountered don't have any problems registering notes down to F2, and often have no problems down to E2 or even D2. I've only seen a couple of stock mics that can reliably register a C2, and I've never seen one that can read a B1.
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
dr00bles wrote:

The lowest note in Ring of Fire is a D2 on the last phrase. As I mentioned, all of the stock mics I've encountered don't have any problems registering notes down to F2, and often have no problems down to E2 or even D2. I've only seen a couple of stock mics that can reliably register a C2, and I've never seen one that can read a B1.

Notes beyond D2 get pretty freaking low. Who's singing all the way down there that can't hit a C up the octave? Are there any songs that have a note below D2 as sung by the original performer?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:

Notes beyond D2 get pretty freaking low. Who's singing all the way down there that can't hit a C up the octave? Are there any songs that have a note below D2 as sung by the original performer?

See my Du Hast video I linked earlier. The entire song (minus the talkies, some of which are higher, had they been charted with pitches), is B2 or lower, and the low note is a B1.

Granted, you can always octave shift it up, but sometimes songs just don't fit nicely into your singing range and you have to drop down or up to compensate.
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
dr00bles wrote:

See my Du Hast video I linked earlier. The entire song (minus the talkies, some of which are higher, had they been charted with pitches), is B2 or lower, and the low note is a B1.

Granted, you can always octave shift it up, but sometimes songs just don't fit nicely into your singing range and you have to drop down or up to compensate.

But you're singing it an octave too low to begin with. And you can definitely hit those notes up the octave. So what's your concern?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:
But you're singing it an octave too low to begin with. And you can definitely hit those notes up the octave. So what's your concern?

No, I'm not. Til Lindemann is basso profondo. That's his natural singing range. (That was sort of the point of doing the video, actually. Du Hast is dead easy if you octave shift it up.)
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
dr00bles wrote:

No, I'm not. Til Lindemann is basso profondo. That's his natural singing range. (That was sort of the point of doing the video, actually. Du Hast is dead easy if you octave shift it up.)

What? You've got to be kidding. Listen to this video at 1:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doTBT46wMvA

He's clearly singing an octave above what you were. He has a very dark tone, which may be confusing you. In your video, you can even clearly hear the octave discrepancy around 1:50.

Anyone else want to vouch for me?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's obviously higher, you go too low on that one, I'm no vocalist or vocals expert but that's what i noticed
Spectrauma  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:
Anyone else want to vouch for me?

Yeah I agree. Watch this video of just his voice (plus synth) ... you can hear it much better.

He is definitely a low bass, you're not wrong about that, but the chorus goes up an octave over the spoken parts.
Cam-H  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have catalysed such a side discussion, but just quickly ... 'Yes', I'm using the mirophone from the World Tour box. Thanks to you and dr00bles for the video references. I do go about as low on those deep pitches as both of you at times.

Getting OT a bit ... I would also ask the models used to create the motions for the vocalists to try to; move in time with the music, not dance like a stripper, and not dance like a chicken with chiropractic issues. There are some really good performances too, but some are simply odd. Same could be said for the occasional bassist who goes into spasms.

Anyone; please bring this thread back on topic.

Last edited by Cam-H on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam-H wrote:
Getting OT a bit ... I would also ask the models used to create the motions for the vocalists to try to; move in time with the music, not dance like a stripper, and not dance like a chicken with chiropractic issues. There are some really good performances too, but some are simply odd. Same could be said for the occasional bassist who goes into spasms.

The only animation that drives me crazy is the one where the guitarist humps the guitar. Ew?

The rest of them I can live with, though a little more variety wouldn't hurt.
Dentata  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam-H wrote:

Freeforms: Should, imho, give a small amount of star power for doing something 'right', something other than making a random noise or singing scales. Exactly how this might be implemented, I'm not really sure, but I'd like to see them kept in and be of value without being the score-breakers that they were in World Tour.

Starpower should be giving points through a phrase rather than at the end of it. Firing off the multiplier at the end of a long held note (especially when you know you haven't 'fluffed' it) to score big points rather than while singing the note doesn't make sense.

I agree with most of the rest of your post, but there are points on these 2 issues that I wanted to raise.

Freeforms: The problem with this is that if the "right" thing to do is hidden, it makes high scores dependent on finding this hidden thing instead of singing notes correctly. If they are explicit about it being "follow the guitar line" or something like that, that's fine, otherwise I really don't like this idea.

Starpower: I agree with you about the "making sense" part, but I actually prefer the current method because it removes the need to press the button at just the exact right moment. I want high scores to be dependent on singing, not on external factors. RB2 sucked in this regard because the challenge was to scream as close to a line without going over it, not to sing well.
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice my name came up in this thread; I thought I'd clarify that I use an EA mic I bought from Gamestop. I never really liked the stock mic... perhaps mic does have something to do with it? I'm not really sure.

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: