Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH6/GH5/BH .NOTE File Format
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raynebc  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of a set of 4 files I have, that and "No More Mr. Nice Guy" have 36 byte vox words entries. "Only Happy When it Rains" defines a fretbar size of 0 bytes (I don't know why it does this). "Dancin' with Myself" defines a vox note size of 256 bytes.

I'll be examine a document that describes the GHWT format next. Are there any other GH format variants I need to look into?
codemann8  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
Out of a set of 4 files I have, that and "No More Mr. Nice Guy" have 36 byte vox words entries. "Only Happy When it Rains" defines a fretbar size of 0 bytes (I don't know why it does this). "Dancin' with Myself" defines a vox note size of 256 bytes.

I'll be examine a document that describes the GHWT format next. Are there any other GH format variants I need to look into?

That is odd, if you find any method for the madness in the variation of these files I'll be able to update this tech doc accordingly. The 0 byte thing suggests that the game now assumes a default if no value is given, which I would have no clue what that would be.

GH1-GHA games use MIDI format (.mid)
GHWT-GHVH games use QB format (.mid.qb)
GH5-GHWoR games use NOTE format (.note)

Rock Band series use MIDI format (.mid) but the tracks change from game to game depending on the different/new functionality of each game

Tech docs on the MIDI and QB files for GH games can be found here, but I'll warn you that they are a bit dated but should point you in the right direction

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: codemann8 PSN Name: codemann8
raynebc  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've noticed something: In "Only Happy When it Rains", where it is supposed to define the size and it defines 0 instead, the game probably assumes the default data size and considers 0 the first data value.

Ie. where the fretbar size is expected, and 0 is encountered, 0 is the first fretbar position. Likewise, when a timesig size of 0 is encountered, that's actually the first time signature position, and the following two bytes 0x0404 definitely would indicate the numerator and denominator of the time signature.

Edit: This chart does the same thing for notes, defining the first position where the entry size was expected. I'm not sure if there's some other parameter in the file that is supposed to indicate that the sizes are not defined, but perhaps there is.
codemann8  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, of course the first values are 0...I thought you meant that the size of the data was 0 bytes, which I found strange, but that's not the case I see

And yes, the timesigs and notes are exactly as I described in the OP

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: codemann8 PSN Name: codemann8
raynebc  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm saying that the field that's supposed to indicate the size of the fretbar and the size of the timesig is given as 0. They're implementing a shortcut where the 4 bytes defining the size is omitted, and they go straight to defining the first 4 byte timestamp instead.

On a different issue, I've been asked if Guitar Hero charts have notation for double bass. Could it be involved with the "extra note" section? Perhaps the extra (unknown) byte defines whether the note is marked to require a hard velocity hit, or is double bass? Wikipedia's GHWT page indicates this game has "armored" notes that require a threshold hit force to be met to get the hit. Likewise, the wiki page for GH:Metallica indicates that the chart keeps track of double bass.
codemann8  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
No, I'm saying that the field that's supposed to indicate the size of the fretbar and the size of the timesig is given as 0. They're implementing a shortcut where the 4 bytes defining the size is omitted, and they go straight to defining the first 4 byte timestamp instead.
Sizes are never given (only for sustains, they are time offsets (in milliseconds) from the beginning of the song...this is done this way so the notes/bars never gets out of sync with the audio or video.

raynebc wrote:
On a different issue, I've been asked if Guitar Hero charts have notation for double bass. Could it be involved with the "extra note" section? Perhaps the extra (unknown) byte defines whether the note is marked to require a hard velocity hit, or is double bass? Wikipedia's GHWT page indicates this game has "armored" notes that require a threshold hit force to be met to get the hit. Likewise, the wiki page for GH:Metallica indicates that the chart keeps track of double bass.
I've never heard of double bass before...and the armored notes in this case would be notated as accent notes...and the .NOTE format isn't used in GH:M, there is no extra note section in GH:M...I believe in the QB file structure there is a mask that defines which notes are eligible for Expert+ notes, otherwise just Expert notes are played

raynebc  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codemann8 wrote:
Sizes are never given (only for sustains, they are time offsets (in milliseconds) from the beginning of the song...this is done this way so the notes/bars never gets out of sync with the audio or video.

I'm talking about the size field in the section header. It is literally omitted. None of the instrument section headers in the "Only Happy When it Rains" NOTE file define a note data size of 8 or 9 bytes, they go: Section variant checksum, quantity, section type checksum, data.

I'm adding special handling to EOF as I go, but now that I get to the vox words section of that file, it also omits the size field in the header, and this time the file DOES use Unicode strings. Each Unicode string is 64 bytes long and is prefixed with a 4 byte timestamp, as indicated in your original specification. Perhaps the PAL/Europe release of GH games use Unicode strings whereas the NTSC US release doesn't?

codemann8 wrote:
I've never heard of double bass before...and the armored notes in this case would be notated as accent notes...and the .NOTE format isn't used in GH:M, there is no extra note section in GH:M...I believe in the QB file structure there is a mask that defines which notes are eligible for Expert+ notes, otherwise just Expert notes are played

Alright, I'll worry about that when I do the QB logic.
Ring777  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what HEX editor are you guys using, i want to take a look at this.
raynebc  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably ones with more functionality, but I use XVI32.
codemann8  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

010 Editor is the best! It's one I didn't mind paying for at all. Has very rich tools built-in and the ability to add on custom features. Can always try it out for 30 days first.

LocalH  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex Workshop is also good, albeit commercial with a trial period.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
raynebc  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The binary templates feature of 010 looks pretty useful, especially for working on dissecting a file format, but I don't think I'm willing to pay $50 for it.
raynebc  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a comprehensive guide to the GHWT format as well? I found some information (gh_wt_midqb.html), but it doesn't seem to give complete header information, checksums, etc.
codemann8  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
Is there a comprehensive guide to the GHWT format as well? I found some information (gh_wt_midqb.html), but it doesn't seem to give complete header information, checksums, etc.

http://slowhero.moto-coda.org/tech/ ...look at the qb.spec.txt file. QB file structure is definitely the strangest format of the series, hardest to wrap your mind around. Most of the checksum values are going to be found in the dbg file of whatever game your looking at.

Also, try this: http://wiki.codemann8.com/wiki/index.php?title=PathHero:Community_Portal

raynebc  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I hate that they put the song name into the un-hashed section names, making each checksum song specified. Looking at multiple .pak.ngc files though, the on-disc file path for the file appears to be included near the beginning of the file (ie. data/songs/mrcrowley.mid.qb.ngc"). Can I use this information to avoid having to look up the song name, common ID or other information from a .dbg file (ie. maybe this will allow me to expect having to look for the checksum for "mrcrowley_timesig")? If all information can be reliably parsed from just the QB file itself, I'd prefer it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: