ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Before I Forget Expert Five-Star Guide
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Before I Forget Expert Five-Star Guide Reply with quote

You may have noticed that since April 6, 2008, every thread asking for advice on five-starring Before I Forget seems to contain somewhere a massive wall of text authored by myself. I have received numerous requests (all right…two) to convert said wall of text into a guide, so I did. I realize that Jowhannez also has a guide for this song here, but I hope I will be able to make this one a bit more comprehensive (or at least longer). Feedback as to whether I succeeded is appreciated. So here it is:

Table of Contents:

Fingering Key
--Numbering
--Hand Positioning

Section-by-Section Analysis
--Intro Riff
--Chord Fill
--Chord Riff
--Verse Riff
--Pre-Chorus
--Chorus
--Bridge (Really Easy Part)
--Bridge (Easy Part)
--Bridge (Hard Part)
--Bridge (Really Hard Part)

Star Power
--My Path
--ShadowDude27's Path

Conclusion
--Thanks

Fingering Key:

Numbering:
1 = Index
2 = Middle
3 = Ring
4 = Pinky

Hand Positioning:
First Position: 1 on G, 2 on R, 3 on Y, 4 covers B and O (will use 24 for chords ending in YO, however)
Second Position: 1 covers G and R, 2 on Y, 3 on B, 4 on O
Second Position, Green Anchored: 1 on G, 2 covers R and Y, 3 on B, 4 on O

Back to Table of Contents
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Section-by-Section Analysis:

I’ve broken the sections down differently than the game does, so I’ve given them different names. Each section contains general advice for how well you need to be able to play it for the five-star (based on my initial five-star run, which was only a couple thousand above the cutoff), as well as more technical advice to actually help you hit it.

Speaking of the cutoff, you will need 314,648 points to five-star this song.

Fingering Disclaimer:
It should be noted that I am extremely prejudiced against first position. I will attempt to present first position fingerings as best I can, but as I never use them there may be errors.

Intro Riff:
This part is pretty easy, and you definitely need to be able to hit it. The star power here is crucial.
Technique: This section can be hit without too much difficulty from either first position or second position:
_

13_13_43_13_343

12_12_32_12_232
You can anchor green throughout if you wish, but I find that it’s easier to keep the rhythm if I don’t.

Chord Fill: --------
You MUST be able to hit this every single time. Over the course of the song there are FOUR star power phrases that consist of or at least include this fill, and it allows you to hold an 8X multiplier through the activations in the Verse riff.
Technique: The main issue with this section is the fingering for the chord changes. Pretty much everybody is going to play from second position, but you have the choice of playing either from first or second position. The advantage of playing it in first is that the fingering is (134) for both chords, so the transition is just a slide. The advantage of playing it in second is that you can anchor your ring finger on the blue:

--------
111_1_11----1_1_11----
__3_3_33----3_3_33----
__4_4_44----4_4_44----

--------
111_1_11----1_1_11----
__3_3_32----3_3_32----
__4_4_43----4_4_43----

Chord Riff:
It will help you immensely if you can combo this part, but it's not necessary to do well here in order to five-star the song.
Technique: If you play this section from first position, it may help you to note that you can anchor red throughout the entire riff. If you do so, the rest is identical to the Intro Riff (except that you now have to strum some notes that were previously hammer-ons). If you use second position mostly, play the green-red and red-yellow chords using your first two fingers, with a quick slide in between:

12_12_22_12_222
23_23_43_23_343 (this is how it would look with the red anchored. You don’t have to do it that way)

11_11_32_11_232
22_22____22____

Verse Riff:
Another must. You're going to have two star power activations in these sections if you follow my path, and being able to hold 8X throughout both is essential.
Technique: The fingering here is very simple (23 on RY and 34 on YB if you play from first position, 12 on RY and 23 on YB if you play from second); the main issue is the rhythm. In order to get it right, I try to hear it in my head as "DiggadiggaDUM, dadiggaDUM," where every "dig" is on the beat and the chord switch is on the "DUM." These bursts are too quick for most people to downstrum; techniques vary widely on how to alt-strum it. Here are the most common ones:

dudud__dudu
This is my preferred method. I always like to start bursts on a downstrum, and this was the most natural way for me to do it.

dudud__udud
For people who prefer not to execute a chord switch while ending on an upstrum.

dudud__dudd
For people who like to start and end everything on a downstrum.

dudud__dddd
From Yewb. If you're really struggling to alt-strum the final burst, this method is something to try. It requires very fast downstrumming, however, which not everyone can do.

Any of these can be reversed if you prefer to start or end on an upstrum.

Pre-Chorus: ------------------------------
This occurs twice, and the first time is a star power phrase. It's very easy, so don't miss or you will be kicking yourself. Since the entire chorus is 3-note chords, a miss here will cost you a LOT of points.
Technique: Nothing of note; you should be able to hit this easily. Be ready to whammy coming out of the Chord Fill the first time this section starts.

Chorus: --- -- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- -- ---- ----
When people complain about Neversoft overcharting 3-note chords, this section is usually what they have in mind. You're doing better than I did if you miss fewer than about three times per chorus. It will help a LOT if you can get the star powers when they come here, though. There are five total, two of which are in the three note chord switches (I think I only got one of those), and three in the part at the end with the two-note chords (make sure you get all of them, because that's the easy part of the chorus).
Technique: The choice here is generally between sliding and anchoring. If you want to play this section using first position when possible, your hand is going to be hopping back and forth a ton, but there will be less movement of the fingers. If you play mostly second position, you can anchor blue for almost the entire chorus, but your other fingers will be moving around quite a bit:

--- -- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- -- ---- ----
1--- 1 1 2-- 1-- 2 2 1 3--__ 1--- 1 1 2-- 1-- 2 2 1 3 3___ 1--- 1 1 2-- 1-- 2 2 1 3--__ 3--3--3 3 3 3--2--2 2 3 3 3
3--- 3 3 3-- 2-- 3 3 2 4--__ 3--- 3 3 3-- 2-- 3 3 2 4 4___ 3--- 3 3 3-- 2-- 3 3 2 4--__ 4--4--4 4 4 4--3--3 3 4 4 4
4--- 4 4 4-- 4-- 4 4 4 _--__ 4--- 4 4 4-- 4-- 4 4 4 _ ____ 4--- 4 4 4-- 4-- 4 4 4 _--__ _--_--_ _ _ _--4--4 4

--- -- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- -- ---- ----
1--- 1 1 2-- 1-- 2 2 1 3--__ 1--- 1 1 2-- 1-- 2 2 1 3 2___ 1--- 1 1 2-- 1-- 2 2 1 3--__ 2--2--2 3 2 3--2--2 2 3 3 2
2--- 3 2 3-- 2-- 3 3 2 4--__ 2--- 3 2 3-- 2-- 3 3 2 4 3___ 2--- 3 2 3-- 2-- 3 3 2 4--__ 3--3--3 4 3 4--3--3 3 4 4 3
3--- 4 3 4-- 4-- 4 4 4 _--__ 3--- 4 3 4-- 4-- 4 4 4 _ ____ 3--- 4 3 4-- 4-- 4 4 4 _--__ _--_--_ _ _ _--4--4 4
Note that with both methods, the and chords are fingered the same way. If that doesn't work for you, you may wish to try Carbonatedasian's method, which involves using 123 for the chords. If your hand can handle the sliding involved, it will probably make the fingering easier (only a switch between your pinky and ring finger is required). Other than that, I have no novel advice for this section; it's just plain hard. Exploit the timing window if you need to, and don't be afraid to drop ticks to hit chords that follow sustains.

Bridge (Really Easy Part): ----------
You should not be missing here, but it's easy to fall off the rhythm if you're not paying attention. It repeats itself; the second time the two red-yellow chords are changed into one red-yellow sustain. Again, pay attention.
Technique: If you’re really lazy, you can hold down red for all of it except the yellow-blue chord.

Bridge (Easy Part):
This can be tricky if you're not ready for it, but you must hit it, both for the star power and for points.
Technique: You obviously have to anchor green for the majority this part. You can finger the rest from standard first position, or you can use the second position with green anchored that I described earlier:

1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_2_2_3_3
4_4_4_4_3_3_2_2_4_4_4_4_3_3_2_2_4_4_4_4_3_3_2_2_4_4_4_4_3_3_3_3

1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_2_2
4_4_3_3_2_2_2_2_4_4_3_3_2_2_2_2_4_4_3_3_2_2_2_2_4_4_3_3_2_2_2_2

Bridge (Hard Part): Ahh...the infamous ad nauseum
Here's where my run differs from most people's. I was actually able to reach a 50+ note streak in this part (and get the star power), which is what enabled me to miss more in the chorus than most people would be able to. If you're good at the chorus, don't worry about missing here, but you absolutely must be able to pass it without star power. If you're as bad at the chorus as I am, you need to hit a big chunk of this.
Technique: There are many threads on this section, from which come four main fingerings:

1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1
3_3_3_3_3_3_3_3
This is for people who are good at sliding. It seems that at least a plurality of ScoreHero uses this method.

1_1_1_1_2_1_1_1
2_3_2_3_4_3_2_3
Straight second position. This is generally what gets me my longest streaks in this section, but it’s hard to keep it up for the entirety of the bridge.

1_2_1_2_2_2_1_2
3_4_3_4_4_4_3_4
Straight first position. I have no experience with this.

1_1_1_1_2_1_1_1
3_3_3_3_4_3_3_3
Second position with some sliding to reduce finger movement. I’ve had a moderate amount of success with this.

1_2_1_2_2_1_1_2
3_4_3_4_4_3_3_4
Ad134 came up with this method, which is something of a hybrid between first and second position. I don't know of anyone else that uses it, though.

1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1
4_4_4_4_3_4_4_4
This is robster's method; mainly for people with small hands.

Bridge (Really Hard Part):
In case the chord switches weren't fast enough for you the first time, let's speed it up for the chord switch near the end. You don't have to combo any of this; getting the star power would be icing on your five-star cake. Again, though, you must pass without star power.
Technique: You’ll probably need to exploit the timing window to hit the quick part near the end (if you’re so good at chord switches that you don’t, I’m not sure why you’re reading a guide for five-starring a song this chord-heavy). You should probably use the same fingering as in the previous section so as not to confuse yourself.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Star Power:

Here’s the optimal no-squeeze path: http://www.bradleyzoo.com/GuitarHero/gh3-ps2/expert/beforeiforget.no-squeeze.best.png. The problem with this path is that it intersects almost every part of the song at least once, and if you could hit all that, you wouldn't be reading this guide. There are, however, various ways you can tweak the path in order to move the activations so that they require proficiency in fewer areas (and also to accommodate the fact that you probably are not going to get ever star power phrase).

My Path:
This path is the one you want if you're great at the Verse Riff, but not the Chord Riff or the hard parts of the Bridge. It assumes no great proficiency at the Chorus, but being able to combo parts of it will help:

Get SP in the Intro Riff
Get SP in the Chord Fill
Get SP in the Chord Fill+first part of Verse Riff
Get SP in the last part of Verse Riff+Chord Fill
Activate immediately (you must hold combo throughout)*
Get SP in Pre-Chorus
Get at least one of the next two SP phrases (Chorus and Chord Riff+Chord Fill)
Activate in Verse Riff (you must hold combo throughout)**
Get at least one of the next two SP phrases (one in the 3-note chords in the Chorus, one in the easy part at the end of the Chorus)
Get SP in the Bridge (Easy Part)
Activate immediately (you must hold combo until the hard part of the Bridge. Hold on as far as you can into that part)***
There are two SP phrases in the Bridge (one in the hard part and one in the really hard part). Getting either will help, neither is necessary.
Get 2 SPs in the easy part of the Chorus
Activate on the Chord Riff. Hit as much as you can.

*It only costs you about 3000 points to substitute 4 for 2-2 with the first four star powers (even less if you don’t whammy optimally), and you trade a half-bar activation in the Chord Riff for a half-bar activation in the Verse Riff, which is a much easier section. Note that you have to activate immediately or you will overrun the easy star power in the Pre-Chorus.

**This activation can be tricky if you come into the Verse Riff without a multiplier (understandable if you’re not good at the Chord Riff). You obviously want to get your multiplier as high as possible before you activate, but this Verse Riff section isn’t very long. If you wait too long to activate, your star power will overlap the Pre-Chorus, which doesn’t contain a lot of points. There are two possible situations:
-If you go in with three star power phrases, activate where the optimal path indicates.
-If you go in with two star power phrases, push the activation forward two measures (activate on the second note of the sixth burst, rather than the second note of the second). This allows you to build at least a 3X multiplier before you are forced to use star power.

***The optimal path has you waiting until the hard part of the bridge to activate. This will indeed net you more two-note chords under star power, but if you can’t hit them, that won’t do you any good. By activating immediately, you still hit a good chunk of two-note chords in the easy part of the Bridge, while keeping the activation confined to parts that you can combo.

ShadowDude27's Path
This path assumes less proficiency at the Verse Riff (although it you are still required to hit the star power phrases there), instead requiring you to hit the Chord Riff and the Chorus. I have not tried it, but it makes sense:

Get SP in the Intro Riff
Get SP in the Chord Fill
Activate in Chord Riff
Get SP in the Chord Fill+first part of Verse Riff
Get SP in the last part of Verse Riff+Chord Fill
Get SP in Pre-Chorus
Activate in Chorus
There are seven star power phrases from here until the end of the Bridge. This path assumes that you will miss at least three of them*
Activate near the end of the Bridge (Really Hard Part) or at the beginning of the last Chorus**
Get 2 SPs in the easy part of the Chorus
Activate on the Chord Riff.

*You will most likely be missing the two star power phrases in the hard part of the Bridge, as well as one or two of the three star power phrases contained in the Chorus and the Chord Riff.

**The activation point will depend on the amount of star power you've collected. If you have three phrases, activate at the very start of the Chorus coming out of the Bridge (if you've whammied part of those three, move it back accordingly). If you have four phrases (a full meter), move the activation back two measures (measure 118 on debr's chart). You probably won't hold combo there, but it's necessary to avoid running over a star power in the Chorus, which would cost you the entire last activation.

Conclusion:

So that’s the guide. Feel free to post techniques that I may have forgotten or don’t know about, as well as general questions, comments, and suggestions.

BenniWells for the suggestion that I write this
BenniWells and sgspecial for support
directshot999 for drawing my attention to fingering mistakes in the Bridge
Carbonatedasian for additional fingering technique in the Chorus
Ad134 for additional fingering technique in the Bridge
Yewb for additional strumming technique in the Verse Riff
robster for additional fingering technique in the Bridge

Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian

Last edited by zsjostrom35 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:07 am; edited 42 times in total
BenniWells  

Location: Lincoln, UK ~ Where farming epidemics always hit the front page

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fantastic guide, really in-depth, solid structure, extremely helpful, great job on this, I'm sure it will help a lot of people, and I'll be sure to link this to people who are wanting help with BIF.

EDIT:: YEAH!!! there's my name bitch, I get a mention in the last line, wooo!!!! I'm a motivator ^_^

My Wiki: Open for anybody to edit, go ahead and write anything!
......................\/

Last edited by BenniWells on Fri May 30, 2008 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 150443735976
directshot999  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Job. I have a question though... I know a lot of people who do this on the bridge:

1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1
3 3 3 3 3 3 4 3 3

For me and others, it seems to work without problems, and I can FC this section (and the fast switch following the same fingering) on command. Can you put this as one of the techniques on the bridge?
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:
Nice Job. I have a question though... I know a lot of people who do this on the bridge:

1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1
3 3 3 3 3 3 4 3 3

For me and others, it seems to work without problems, and I can FC this section (and the fast switch following the same fingering) on command. Can you put this as one of the techniques on the bridge?

It was supposed to be in there; I screwed up the fingering when I wrote it down. It's fixed now (the fourth method I have listed there).
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
ShadowDude27  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP path is off. This is the one I use

2-as soon as the main riff starts
2-immediatley
3-as soon as verse 2 begins
3-the 3rd chord after the
2-as soon as the 3rd chorus begins
2-as soon as the main riff starts.

ALSO: I was going to write a guide on how to maximize your Tier 7 Score, can I link you?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowDude27 wrote:
SP path is off. This is the one I use

2-as soon as the main riff starts
2-immediatley
3-as soon as verse 2 begins
3-the 3rd chord after the
2-as soon as the 3rd chorus begins
2-as soon as the main riff starts.

ALSO: I was going to write a guide on how to maximize your Tier 7 Score, can I link you?

It's not off; I purposely moved the activations to sections that most people can hit. I linked the optimal path at the beginning of the star power section. Also, my path takes into account the fact that if you're struggling to 5* the song, you probably can't hit every star power phrase.

Feel free to link this, I'd like to help anybody that I can.
Proud Christian
sgspecial  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other person who told you to make this seems really smart and I bet he is happy how well this came out and that it will help people
ShadowDude27  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'm sorry, I didn't read it very closely, it's still a pretty good path. I noticed though that by augmenting the SP acivations you have to do very well in the verse riff, and it may just be me, but I actually think it's the hardest part of the song On my first 5-star, I made 2 of my activations in the chorus, it looked more like this. . .

2-main riff a
3-chorus 1, no whammy on pre-chorus phrase
missed the riff b one
missed the 2 in the hard part of the bridge
3-chorus 3
2-riff c

Thanks btw!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowDude27 wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm sorry, I didn't read it very closely, it's still a pretty good path. I noticed though that by augmenting the SP acivations you have to do very well in the verse riff, and it may just be me, but I actually think it's the hardest part of the song On my first 5-star, I made 2 of my activations in the chorus, it looked more like this. . .

2-main riff a
missed the riff b one
3-chorus 3
2-riff c

Thanks btw!

That's definitely a much better path if you're good at the Chord Riff and Chorus, but can't hit the Verse Riff. I'll put it in.

EDIT: I have a couple questions about this path. First, it seems to assume that you can get all the star power in the Verse Riffs, is that correct? Second, it looks like there are seven star power phrases between your second activation and your third (measures 50, 58, 72, 86, 95, 110, 118). You explicitly reference missing three of them, but your third activation claims to be a 3, not a 4. Using 4 there would be a problem because you would overrun the second-to-last phrase, which would completely eliminate your fourth activation. The only way I can see around that is to deliberately overrun the measure 50 SP phrase or to use a 4 activation near the end of the Bridge so as not to overrun. Are either of those right?
Proud Christian
directshot999  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:

It was supposed to be in there; I screwed up the fingering when I wrote it down. It's fixed now (the fourth method I have listed there).

KK, I was starting to wonder why someone would use 2-4 to hit a lol. Oh well though, thanks.
johnman03  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... I just five starred this song right before finding this guide. Nice job, by the way.

One thing that helped me immensely is letting go of the chords early during the chorus. You'll lose ticks but it may just help to keep that ever important multiplier going.
sknysklz  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:
ShadowDude27 wrote:

2-main riff a
missed the riff b one
3-chorus 3
2-riff c

Thanks btw!

That's definitely a much better path if you're good at the Chord Riff and Chorus, but can't hit the Verse Riff. I'll put it in.

EDIT: I have a couple questions about this path. First, it seems to assume that you can get all the star power in the Verse Riffs, is that correct? Second, it looks like there are seven star power phrases between your second activation and your third (measures 50, 58, 72, 86, 95, 110, 118). You explicitly reference missing three of them, but your third activation claims to be a 3, not a 4. Using 4 there would be a problem because you would overrun the second-to-last phrase, which would completely eliminate your fourth activation. The only way I can see around that is to deliberately overrun the measure 50 SP phrase or to use a 4 activation near the end of the Bridge so as not to overrun. Are either of those right?

good guide and totally off topic i thought it was funny that one of u is from ohio state and the other is from ann arbor and youre being all chummy
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sknysklz wrote:
good guide and totally off topic i thought it was funny that one of u is from ohio state and the other is from ann arbor and youre being all chummy

Lol. I don't mind because we won last November :P

sgspecial wrote:
The other person who told you to make this seems really smart and I bet he is happy how well this came out and that it will help people

Updated my Thanks section. Check it out!
Proud Christian
Acedia  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first encountered the Bridge yesterday. Biggest "WTF moment" for me in GH this far. I NEVER ENDS!1
StarStricken  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not read this guide, I just happened to 5star it tonight lol. I had the run of a life time. I always own up the bridge part, but this time I hit BOTH star powers in the bridge part. I have never ever hit the second bridge star power in my life and almost lost my combo when the star power hit.

Wasn't even trying to 5star it just played it randomly and toar it up.

Good guide though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: