Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Writers' Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScreamingEvil  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been writting lyrics for about 3-4 years now, mostly for fun, or when I get random inspiration. I have random scraps and notebooks of them. I've never really gone beyond that though, I'm not that great at writting music (although I haven't been trying long) so I mostly stick to the lyrics. I have contributed lyrics to some of my friend's works however.

I don't think I've actually put together a full song's worth of stuff before. Mostly I jot down the odd verse or chorus or so and leave it. However since I'm aiming to try and go professional with it, I'll probably post some of my stuff up here sooner or later for some critic.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Goramoth
Yewb  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do write lyrics on occasion, not as much as I'd like to. Most of my stuff is boring and repetitive, in my opinion - I tend not to take my friends' opinions on it, because they're always going to say it's good even if it's the hugest pile of ass in the world.

That said, here's a short piece I wrote a couple months ago. I'm only posting this one because the rest of my stuff isn't as concise or literal (I'm one of those annoying lyricists who veils everything in deliberately-incomplete metaphors). It's a pretty whiny song, but it was intentionally written that way. There's some abysmal rhyming here, too.

All I Am wrote:

I've got you under my nails and in my hair
I get so sick when you're not there
Everybody tells me that you care
So I tell myself that you don't care
Take a walk with me inside my head
Take a walk with me into my bed
Listen to a word that I have said
Stare off into space instead

I'm gonna take you from the city lights someday
Somewhere we can see 'em far away
But tomorrow and today
We'll sit not knowing what to say
Everybody tells me not to care
Who you are, or what or why or where (you're there)
I know that I really shouldn't stare
Entertain me; issue me a dare

Take from me my petty off-white lies
Take from me my perfect guy disguise
Take my words as read, don't analyse
Stare into my mirror face-like eyes
Contact me in any way you can
Make me feel a bigger, weaker man
Let this world into your plan
Accept me and all I am

The more I reread this one, the less I like it. I might post a couple of my parodies (like Green Day's "Wake Me Up When This Lecture Ends") up here at some point too, or one of my more upbeat original songs like Tunnel Vision or Shade of Blue.

(Note: this song is not about falling for a friend, which superficially it seems to be. It's about the insecurity that often comes with MAKING friends. It's not strictly about any kind of sexual relationship; that's the parallel being drawn.)
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
mdizzy  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
I do write lyrics on occasion, not as much as I'd like to. Most of my stuff is boring and repetitive, in my opinion - I tend not to take my friends' opinions on it, because they're always going to say it's good even if it's the hugest pile of ass in the world.

That said, here's a short piece I wrote a couple months ago. I'm only posting this one because the rest of my stuff isn't as concise or literal (I'm one of those annoying lyricists who veils everything in deliberately-incomplete metaphors). It's a pretty whiny song, but it was intentionally written that way. There's some abysmal rhyming here, too.

All I Am wrote:

I've got you under my nails and in my hair
I get so sick when you're not there
Everybody tells me that you care
So I tell myself that you don't care
Take a walk with me inside my head
Take a walk with me into my bed
Listen to a word that I have said
Stare off into space instead

I'm gonna take you from the city lights someday
Somewhere we can see 'em far away
But tomorrow and today
We'll sit not knowing what to say
Everybody tells me not to care
Who you are, or what or why or where (you're there)
I know that I really shouldn't stare
Entertain me; issue me a dare

Take from me my petty off-white lies
Take from me my perfect guy disguise
Take my words as read, don't analyse
Stare into my mirror face-like eyes
Contact me in any way you can
Make me feel a bigger, weaker man
Let this world into your plan
Accept me and all I am

The more I reread this one, the less I like it. I might post a couple of my parodies (like Green Day's "Wake Me Up When This Lecture Ends") up here at some point too, or one of my more upbeat original songs like Tunnel Vision or Shade of Blue.

(Note: this song is not about falling for a friend, which superficially it seems to be. It's about the insecurity that often comes with MAKING friends. It's not strictly about any kind of sexual relationship; that's the parallel being drawn.)

This is actually very good, you are certainly your worst critic. Most writers doubt their work is good, but you can use that as motivation to keep trying to do better and better. Seriously though, I really like these lyrics, they're golden in my opinion and I'm very picky about my lyrics so take that to heart...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dude - that really means a lot Praise from another lyricist is high praise indeed, in my books at least.

I like the lyrics you posted earlier, too; it's a new take on an old idea, which I love because it's one of the hardest styles to write in (in my opinion).

I think I'm going to write today: I've got a song I have high hopes for but haven't finished yet, so I might get that one finished this afternoon.

Edit: Yep, finished the first draft of "Think" - the verses are awful, but the chorus is alright I think. Need to go back and redo the first two verses - there's nothing really to them at the moment. I'll post it here when I'm done for the day.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
JOE2210 wrote:
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the song itself, Yewb, but the writing format is one my least favorites. It's just the rhyming scheme that you used. aaaabbbb isn't a very good one, in my opinion.

Don't think I'm saying that the song is bad, though. The song is very good.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
I like the song itself, Yewb, but the writing format is one my least favorites. It's just the rhyming scheme that you used. aaaabbbb isn't a very good one, in my opinion.

Don't think I'm saying that the song is bad, though. The song is very good.

Yeah, I know - that's one of my least favourites too, actually, but at the time it worked with the melody I had and I was too lazy to change it once it was written Thanks, though - I'm flattered!

If I was going to rewrite it, what kind of rhyming scheme do you think would fit it? I'm toying with ABCDEBFD just to have something a bit different, but I'm not sure whether I could pull that off without it sounding disjointed - I'm awful at stuff like this.

Also, I was going to post my first draft of "Think" up here today, but I really can't seem to get it into a workable state yet at all. Maybe tomorrow?

(It is a (slightly) more interesting rhyming scheme, that one - the choruses are ABBAC and the verses are ABCBDBEB.)
JOE2210 wrote:
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love toying with rhyming schemes and stanza patterns. I wrote a poem for an English assignment a few weeks ago. I tried to post just the rhyming scheme, but it's really confusing, and I didn't feel like working it out, so I'm just going to post it.

The World as We Know It wrote:
The other day, I looked into the darkness
And who did I see?
The reflection of ghost-like spirit
And he talked to me
He said, “Boy, you need to come out of hiding,
And face your fears”
That man, he really hit a nerve
And helped me down the path of life
Too bad he’s gone

My friend was hiding in the darkness
From all of his own thoughts
The ones that make you really think
The ones that get you caught
Where are we really going?
It’s not where we want to be
I know it’s not an accident
And I’m sure it’s not our destiny
And it’s not just me

Tonight I looked into the sky
It was my last saving grace
Our life does not match the output
The one we need to keep our pace
If our ways remain untouched
It will be too late
We’ll end with our stupidity
And a self imposed check-mate

Today I wrote a song from scratch
But I tore it and tossed it away
It was about our civilization
And the reason we need to change
Too many of us are lazy
And it’s turning us into idiots
And when we don’t change
It’ll be the end of the world as we know it

Last edited by OpenYourEyes on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mdizzy  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seventh song from my forthcoming metal album "Death Penalty", which you can listen to the first 2 tracks in my sig. This song will probably be the most unusual as it features a slower beat with a piano and in the chorus a music box, a sort of experimental-type metal song.

Title: Superficial Existence
Artist: Micah Devereaux
Album: Death Penalty

"Verse 1: You reap what you sow/you pay what you owe//The
tendencies of man/lie in your heart(you're never finished/as long
as you never start)

Chorus: You've bled me of all I've got to give/you suck me dry
and then make you're exit/I see her leave it all behind/is there
nothing I can do but watch her slowly die//you chain yourself to
superficial existence/you aimlessly stagger with defiant
persistence/I see her leave it all behind/I turn away as she
slowly dies//

Verse 2: You can't stay if you go/you leave too fast and return
too slow//The trepidations of a woman/pierces through my
heart(Either never come back/or never depart)

Chorus: You've bled me of all I've got to give/you suck me dry
and then make you're exit/I see her leave it all behind/is there
nothing I can do but watch her slowly die//you chain yourself to
superficial existence/you aimlessly stagger with defiant
persistence/I see her leave it all behind/I turn away as she
slowly dies//"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Subrick when you need him?
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragoninforcer wrote:
Where's Subrick when you need him?

That reminds me, I got halfway through a song I parodically titled "Excuse All The Blood", but trashed it. I meant to rewrite it, but never did. Think I'll make another go of it now.

mdizzy, I have to say I really enjoyed that, there's some interesting rhyming there I can't help but love. I'll check out some of your other stuff when I'm near a set of headphones.

For now, here's "Insomnia", which I wrote the other week (retitled from the WT "Think"). Most of my stuff is very rhyme-heavy - everything rhymes with everything else and the message suffers as a result. This is the result of a conscious decision to not do that.

This was based around ABACDBDE (see the first verse) and branched out into something a bit more varied, for those who care about that kind of thing.

Insomnia wrote:

The sun's in my eyes and I can't help but to see the reflection
It shows up the lies I never should have known were there
I want to see clearly I want to see without introspection
It's hiding the fear that I might one day just lose it all

I know it's a gift and that I should be grateful
To block out that sunset and never get to sleep

'cause I think too much
And I know I can't be trusted to trust
'cause like Sigmund did I think too much
Yeah I think I think too much

I notice your face in every vision of my debasement
A tenuous place where I can't get to sleep
I drafted a poem and balled it up and threw it away
I drafted a song that no-one ever heard

It's not quite the point that it's seen as wisdom
If ignorance is bliss then I'm a victim of grief (jealousy)

'cause I think too much
And I know I can't be trusted to trust
And I know I'll never give in to lust
'cause like Friedrich did I think too much
Yeah, I think I think too much

It's not a job I work
It's an inefficient system but I answer to a jerk
It's not my wife I love
She's a whore and she's an angel both an eagle and a dove
It's not a friend I see
He's a self-interested person who expects me to be me
Not a life I live
It's a struggle for autonomy when all you do is give

-too much
I know I can't be trusted to trust
And I know I'll never give in to lust
And I know that I can never be just
'cause like Adolf did I think too much
And I know I'll never give in to trust
And I'll only ever do what I must
'cause like Kurt Cobain I think too much
I think

I just recorded myself singing this in one take, it's not the best recording I've ever made lol
JOE2210 wrote:
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that song. The words flow perfectly, and the concept is amazing. Great work, Yewb.

Also, who is the person in your avatar?
RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
mdizzy: Yeah, these are meant to go with music, I just don't have it recorded. I will when my band gets together again hopefully.

What kind of music (structure, pace, key etc) do you plan to put with the lyrics? The lyrics themselves are pretty spot-on with what I would call "good" songwriting, so I'm curious as to how you plan to take care of the other half of writing. ^_^

@Yewb: "All I Am" is brilliant upon first glance. The only inherent problem I can see in it is lack of an apparent repeating chorus; it just seems like 3 verses thrown together. The lyrics themselves are excellent though. Just keep working on your structure, is my worthless advice.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both!

RichardGHP - yeah, I know about the lack of a chorus, and you're right about it as well - I keep meaning to rewrite it and put a chorus in, but I never really get round to it. I think I might actually do that today Thanks for your encouragement and CC, though - it really means a lot to me to know that people don't think my work is as bad as I do lol. And yeah, my lack of ability to structure a song is something that's always kind of pissed me off - I need to learn to use tempo changes and breaks much more often and effectively

OpenYourEyes - Thank you very much! The guy in my avatar is me, incidentally
JOE2210 wrote:
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard: Thank you! The songs will be heavy balads, of that makes sense. They'll be acoustic guitar and sceams, because I love the sound of high pitched screams. EDIT: Well, actually, only A Chainless Prison and My Mind is Glowing are sceamed. The other two are sung normally.

Yewb: We look so similar that there were a couple of times I thought that was me.
mdizzy  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest offering, please enjoy!

Title: Mutiny
Artist: Micah Devereaux
Album: Death Penalty

Quote:
Chorus: I've never been betrayed like this before/I can't trust anyone anymore//and I've never hurt like this before/Close me off I shut and lock the door//

Verse 1: Nothing lasts forever/but I still never saw this coming//I've known you my whole life/stab at me until I bleed you don't need me anymore//you fire away/desolate/my enemy/masquerade//I am a man/who bends until I'm broken//suffocate my peace of mind/squeeze my soul until I'm choking//you fire away/devastate/my enemy/a cold charade//

verse 2: only one I know so well/could decieve me so completely//I turn around too late/it seems the knife is already on its way//split the heart/through the spine/tossed aside/by a dear friend of mine//

Bridge: This is mutiny/I've been betrayed/someday/I'll make you pay//

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: