Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
AP Calculus, anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
titans77  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AP Calculus, anyone? Reply with quote

DPooch wrote:
CleverTangent wrote:
Calc BC is by far the hardest course in my high school, mostly because of my teacher. Is it the same case in other schools?

Yeah, that's probably a fucking hard class no matter who teaches it.

2 years ago i took pre-calc and Aced it with no effort (i had a harder time getting an A in Team Sports >__>) then last year i took calc BC (a-fuckin-lot harder that AB no matter what anybody says) and got a C average and a 3 on the AP test. I am positive that math is my best subject and my teacher did his job correctly, but that class moves so fast that if you get lost on one concept of calc. then it will build up tons of pressure on you because calculus builds off of the earlier concepts you learn. Make sure you understand the fundamental theorem of calculus and be very open minded when learn new stuff. Like 1^ infinity is not 1 which i told my teacher that bullshit because no matter how many times you multiply 1 by itself it will always be 1. Apparently its some kind of limit idk but the point is to not fall behind and YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO STUDY FOR CALCULUS BC!!?!!?!

/rant
Kiyrugoji in response to the heroin hero t-shirt dilema wrote:
Maybe it's not what we all think... maybe he just wants a Pepsi.
just one pepsi.
and she wouldn't give it to him
sknysklz  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i also took AB last year and thought it was a breeze didnt do any work and i honestly think i got a 100% on the ap test but now im at university of illinois and taking calc 2 (which im assuming is kind of close to BC?) and after a couple days its not bad but then again its only been one week. but the classes reputation is to be one of the hardest math classes offered at u of i easier than calc 3 which i dont understand but oh well

i wish my school had offered BC because i really just had 4 years of not taking any notes, doing no work, and easily acing classes which sounds good but i like math and wanted a little challenge
mudkipzmudkipz  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking BC right now. I'm only a week into it, but so far... my teacher doesn't teach. Not an exaggeration. Straight up, he just doesn't teach.

He gives us homework, tells us to read the section before it in the book, take notes, do the assignment, then we go over the homework in groups in class which takes the whole period, with him occaisonally helping us out when we get stuck.

I have a feeling this isn't gonna work out too well.
GuitarGeek08  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any good online resources for Calculus AB exam questions? I wanted to see if i could do some of them since i decided not to take the exam

I Don't Suck at GH
Xpertlefty13 quoting me in his Acc Thread wrote:
Honestly, thank you

This is the first real, well thought-out explanation I've seen
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Quakmybush  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calc is dumb, end of story, used to be good at math, Calc decided to say fuck you, barely passed.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Quakmybush
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarGeek08 wrote:
Anyone got any good online resources for Calculus AB exam questions? I wanted to see if i could do some of them since i decided not to take the exam

The College Board website should have all the FRQs as well as their respective solutions from the past decade for both the AB and BC exams.
radoaos  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC is hard. I suggest retaking Calc in college. Usually people who skip it do a lot more work to try to catch up. Only skip college calc if you NEED a double major and want to save time.
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radoaos wrote:
BC is hard. I suggest retaking Calc in college. Usually people who skip it do a lot more work to try to catch up. Only skip college calc if you NEED a double major and want to save time.

Eh, I don't know, it really depends on your AP program in high school. Our AP program generally sucked but our BC teacher was extremely good. I ended up taking BC, getting a 5, and jumping straight into Calc 3 in college. No regrets, there was a few things I had to go over that wasn't covered in BC but for the most part I transitioned fairly well. I'm actually really glad I did it - Calc 2 in college is supposed to be ridiculously hard.
radoaos  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it can be different for individuals. I got a C in high school calc BC. Didn't take the AP exam (everyone in my class who did 4 or 5'd it). However, in college I retook Calc 1 and 2, and had close to a 100 average in both of them. Really gave me a solid foundation for all the other maths I had to take.

To be fair, I think that I used to have some very poor study habits, so I wouldn't be surprised that a good student would feel no need to retake the calc classes.
solrac7623  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be taking AP Calculus AB Senior year (I'm in my Junior year now), even though I should be taking it now (I took Geometry for 8th and 9th grade because my high school sucks >_>). I love math and have done great in each subject in high school so far and I might even get the teacher who I had in 9th grade Geometry. He's a very awesome teacher, and I was the best student in his class, so with that I am very much looking forward to next year with him. Is there anything you guys would recommend me, or do you think I'll be fine?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: