ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Most important scientific work ever written?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subrick  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, let me rephrase that;

Biology would be radically different. Science itself as a whole would be pretty different as well.

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick
http://subrick.blip.tv
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Subrick/107321395984265?ref=ts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: None yet PSN Name: None yet
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subrick wrote:
Well then, let me rephrase that;

Biology would be radically different. Science itself as a whole would be pretty different as well.
A lot of people are probably going to correct me, but I don't think Darwin was actually that revolutionary in biology (edit: he was obviously tremendously important, but not enough that OoS is the most important work in science). A similar theory was put forward independently Alfred Wallace, and Gregor Mendel was the one to show how it happened. Darwin was important, but I think that someone else would have had his idea within a few years.

The Periodic Table is awesome as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:
If philosophy would be included, Descartes and Aristotle would also have to be included in the debate (even though they were also scientists/mathematicians and may qualify outside of philosophy). It's hard, though, since most of their work was divided up into short treatises. Today, large portions of their work are grouped together like Descartes' Discourse on the Method and Principles of Philosophy / Meditations on First Philosophy or Aristotle's works on Ethics, so a claim could be made for one of those collections to be among the most important works of scientific thought.

I think works on the philosophies of science are definitely where one should start when talking about great texts related to science. Descartes' Discourse and Sir Francis Bacon's Novum Organum really helped establish science as it done today (the scientific method). Newton, Galileo, Darwin, and Einstein's works are great on their own and inspired much similar inquiry to the topics they spoke to, but the ideas of logic and inference that are used in modern science are more a result of philosophical thinking than any particular scientific text. I don't think a lot of people realize that logic itself is a philosophical idea.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: wxtrofl
Zerstörer  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's a toss-up between On the Origin of Species and The Principia. Two very different, very important books.

they're people who don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, and are complete douches about it
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LambchopsMcAdoo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: