ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Beliefs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trav3ler  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presbyterian carnivore. That pretty much sums up my belief system as pertaining to this thread.

Goals:
Gold Star the main RB3 setlist [] (54/82)
That's gonna take a while... ><
Kroikey  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My religious/spiritual beliefs can be summed up in this sentence:

We are the Universe experiencing itself.

I have some deep beliefs in what that means, but I wont bog this thread down with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
The lyrics to "Affirmation" by Savage Garden

I got all the way down to the chorus before I realised why those words were so familiar

I don't believe in any higher powers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm agnostic, and I believe everyones religion should remain a very personal/spiritual practice. I respect everyone's religion regardless of my beliefs, it's not up to me to decide whether they're right or wrong.
Knut  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in William Shatner.

Quote:
BILL: I can't get behind the Gods, who are more vengeful, angry, and dangerous if you don't believe in them!
ROLLINS: Why can't all these Gods just get along? I mean, they're omnipotent and omnipresent, what's the problem?
BILL: What's the problem?
BILL: What about the men who say 'Do as I do. Believe in what I say, for your own good, or I'll kill you!' I can't get behind that!

Save yourself from hell, but leave me alone.

And I eat my bacon/pepperoni/ham with a clean conscience.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SmellyStuff  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like the idea of organised/mass religion but I will tolerate it as long as you don't force it upon me. As for me, I'm an agnostic but leaning more towards atheism.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a vegetarian myself, but only because I was raised that way. I see nothing wrong with eating meat. Animals eat other animals, it's nature.

I am not religious, but I do believe in God. I just wouldn't call myself a christian/catholic/muslim/whatever.

That's it, really.

"You're not smart. You're not a scientist. You're not a doctor. You're not even a full time employee. Where did your life go so wrong?"
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Archang3L666
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucothefish wrote:
thecaptainof wrote:
The lyrics to "Affirmation" by Savage Garden

I got all the way down to the chorus before I realised why those words were so familiar

A cookie to the fish man! I wondered if anyone would recognise it.

To be fair, I only posted that because I wasn't in the mood to debate seriously at the time, and remembered a couple of friends who used to treat that song as if it were scripture... but now I read it back and a lot of it is pretty good common sense, I can see where they were coming from at least.

As for religious beliefs, well, we've done this before, but for the sake of completeness: I don't do religion, I don't believe in mystical men in the sky that control us and tell us what to do, I don't believe I'm evil because I don't believe in them. But, each to their own, I'm not gonna tell anyone they're wrong for whatever fairytales they choose to believe.

As for vegetarianism, yeah, no. I used to have 'vegetarian weeks', of which some days would be fully vegan, but it was only really for the sake of experimentation. At the end of the day, I like meat too much to give it up permanently and I'm far too heartless to be bullied by PETA-style shock tactics.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Ealasaid  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... depends on how you define belief. I usually say that I don't "believe" in the Gods any more than I "believe" in rocks. I've had enough experiences to know that something is out there and it sure acts a lot like what we usually call the Divine.

I took enough philosophy in college to know that you can't really know anything, though. So here's where I'm at:

I believe that I can't know the world exists.
I believe that I might as well behave as though it does, because that is in my best interest.
I believe that there are things I have interacted with which behave like Gods.
I believe that I might as well behave as though that's what they are, because doing so provides me with tangible benefit and interesting experiences.
I believe that if other entities (people, animals, etc) do, in fact, think and feel as I do, then I should avoid causing unnecessary pain and destruction to them. (I don't take this to the point of vegetarianism because my health would make that a big hassle, but I do eat organic and get my eggs from a friend who raises chickens, etc.)
-Questionable Content
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: CasaEalasaid ICQ Number
Maozilla  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkcr wrote:
I've always held the opinion that atheists are actually more religious than agnostics, exactly along this line of reasoning. The conviction to completely disbelieve in the possibility of any religion (existing or to come), any higher power, etc. is, in my mind, just as much a leap of faith as being religious.

However, I think you're grievously over-simplifying Nihilism. That's hardly what a Nihilist believes. Besides, Nihilism isn't any sort of organized belief; I've always viewed it as a philosophical stance, and as such the details can vary from person to person.

rkcr... that was a quote from Metalocalypse

I don't think life exists to fulfill anything. When life began when the earth was beginning to form, organic molecules came together to produce some type of membrane bound organelle. Or so we've learned in bio. This continued for millions and millions of years before something actually became alive, and not really even alive in the sense that we see it. Life is really a fluke in my opinion, it happened by chance.

Here's something else to think about: I don't think time exists by itself but rather only because life exists. I know it sounds ridiculous but hear me out and see if you can follow me. There is a state of what is and what isn't. Everything in this universe was created by a set amount of protons, neutrons, and electrons. No matter how you rearrange this protons and neutrons, composition has not changed in the matter of things. Now, forget about life and think about the universe as a whole. What can you define as time? Without a specific point of reference, you cannot give time to the universe. Think about the earth as if it were one thing. Whether it has rotated around the sun once or twice, has anything changed at all other than position? No. However, bring life into this picture and time is put into place. Life lasts a certain amount of time while without life, there is no such thing. Therefore, why say there is a "beginning" of the universe? The universe has had no time until life came along.

This is really hard to explain :X I hope you guys get this.

Oh and wow, reincarnate, I've always considered myself pretty much what you just said, a Nihilist in the sense that there's nothing you can do to define life. I think I'll start using this definition now
jisberg13  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am atheist, and I do things the way i want to,

see i didn't capatalize that i, or that one..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: jisberg13
BlueTornado  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN B4 LOCK/DELETION:

I believe that the God of the Bible is the real God.
I believe that Jesus died on the cross and die for our sins.
I believe in Heaven, and the only way to get there is to accept salvation through Jesus by repentance and belief.

I believe that vegetarianism/veganism is only a personal preference and is not required for life.
I believe that we cannot predict the end of the world.

I also have many others, but it would be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG post and could put me at risk at getting hit with the banstick.

You have died of dysentery. Put in your sig if lemons.
Proud Christian: If you are a Christian, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Christians are on ScoreHero!
***My Accomplishments: 67 RB2 H Guitar FCs!***
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BlueTornadoSH
Urisma  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself am a devout christian, and while I respect the beliefs of others, I can't see why someone would not have some sort of faith that believed in some sort of higher power. I know it sounds narrow-minded, but hear me out.

First of all, I've noticed many people lack a religion due to interpretation of a religion's scripture (since I'm a christian, I shall now be comparing everything to the Bible, God, Jesus, etc. I'm not trying to flame or anything, and if i sound as though I am, I'm sorry). Take the first 7 days. You know, God creates earth, Heaven, light, etc. I've noticed comments (unrelated to this board, in general) along the lines of "Well, if humans were created a couple days after the animals, what happened to all the dinosaurs? They existed millions of years before humans, so this whole 7 day thing is false." Well, if you did your homework, you would know that the bible was written by normal humans years after those 7 days took place. I doubt God was telling Moses "It took 7 days. Exactly. write that down" Instead, Moses had to interpret God's actions, so he put 7 days. I personally believe that those 7 days in reality took hundreds of thousands of years. This is a bit like conflict over the constitution back in the 1700s. The federalists wanted loose interpretation, or the the government could expand and change, even if the constitution didn't grant it specific power or say something specific. Anti Federalists, on the other hand, believed in strict interpretation, taking it word for word. I think that you should be a federalist in regards to religion.

My other point isn't really "Why would you choose religion," its, "Why wouldn't you choose religion?" Let me give you an example.
Lets take an athiest's view point versus a christian's in regards to life after death (I'm not 100% sure, but I believe athiests basically believe no life after death, once you're dead, you're dead)

So say the Athiest is correct about religion, and the athiest and christian both die and cease to exist completely. The christian was never hurt be practicing religion back on earth, but they didn't gain anything for it.

But say the christian is right. The athiest burns in Hell while the christian has eternal life in Heaven. in this case, the Christian did benefit, and the Athiest, for a lack of a better word, loses.

Which one seems more logical? Christian is, from a neutral viewpoint. That's just something to ponder, for anyone who cares.
Maozilla  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urisma wrote:
I myself am a devout christian, and while I respect the beliefs of others, I can't see why someone would not have some sort of faith that believed in some sort of higher power. I know it sounds narrow-minded, but hear me out.

First of all, I've noticed many people lack a religion due to interpretation of a religion's scripture (since I'm a christian, I shall now be comparing everything to the Bible, God, Jesus, etc. I'm not trying to flame or anything, and if i sound as though I am, I'm sorry). Take the first 7 days. You know, God creates earth, Heaven, light, etc. I've noticed comments (unrelated to this board, in general) along the lines of "Well, if humans were created a couple days after the animals, what happened to all the dinosaurs? They existed millions of years before humans, so this whole 7 day thing is false." Well, if you did your homework, you would know that the bible was written by normal humans years after those 7 days took place. I doubt God was telling Moses "It took 7 days. Exactly. write that down" Instead, Moses had to interpret God's actions, so he put 7 days. I personally believe that those 7 days in reality took hundreds of thousands of years. This is a bit like conflict over the constitution back in the 1700s. The federalists wanted loose interpretation, or the the government could expand and change, even if the constitution didn't grant it specific power or say something specific. Anti Federalists, on the other hand, believed in strict interpretation, taking it word for word. I think that you should be a federalist in regards to religion.

My other point isn't really "Why would you choose religion," its, "Why wouldn't you choose religion?" Let me give you an example.
Lets take an athiest's view point versus a christian's in regards to life after death (I'm not 100% sure, but I believe athiests basically believe no life after death, once you're dead, you're dead)

So say the Athiest is correct about religion, and the athiest and christian both die and cease to exist completely. The christian was never hurt be practicing religion back on earth, but they didn't gain anything for it.

But say the christian is right. The athiest burns in Hell while the christian has eternal life in Heaven. in this case, the Christian did benefit, and the Athiest, for a lack of a better word, loses.

Which one seems more logical? Christian is, from a neutral viewpoint. That's just something to ponder, for anyone who cares.

I feel like organized religion is pretty much relying on... almost "magic" to explain everything that can't be explained. Think about it, you're saying that everything in and even out of the universe was created by a higher power. Essentially, when somebody asks you, "How was everything created?", you're just responding, "Magic." Go ahead and challenge me on this, but as far as I'm aware, God created something from nothing and that is impossible in terms of science. And that is what I see as magic.

Meanwhile, you go and ask an scientist, "How was everything created?" and they'll go and give you theories. Though these theories are impractical (you can't confirm this through tests), they're still better, more thought out explanations than just magic. I'm obviously stereotyping here but I'm not saying every single religious person does not believe in science.

So you say you can't understand why somebody wouldn't have faith of a higher power, even if it meant security in a "second life" if it exists. I can't find myself believing in a higher power though because it's just like saying, "It exists" without giving any proof or explanation. While having the security of living a wonderful life in heaven if it exists is tempting and completely logical, I find that what Christianity gives illogical answers to a lot of things. Don't be stuck up and say that Atheism is illogical. I respect Christianity because it keeps millions happy. Religion isn't a bad thing, it's just flawed in my eyes. And you might see Atheism is flawed. Which is completely fine, because we're two different people with different minds.
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beliefs... what can you say about them really? They are who you are, and that's a really beautiful thing. I'm part of a minor church, by the way, and it's only vaguely Christian.

I believe in a higher power, one God, that the God in the Bible is the same as the God in the Koran, and that He is a being of love. I strive to find Him in my life's journey. I believe Jesus was the Messiah, that he didn't come to die, and that he wasn't God himself.

I believe in acceptance, in total forgiveness. I do not believe in hurting another in anyway; no matter what the specifics are, violence of any kind is wrong.

I believe there is a spiritual world, and in the immortal soul; the comparison of our spiritual life to our life on Earth is comparable to our life on Earth compared to our life in the womb.

I believe in the relationships between mind and body, between a married couple, between mankind and Earth, and between the Universe and God.

There's thousands of things I believe in, the list could go on forever. But the biggest thing I believe in is unity, in ever relationship with everything everywhere. Unity of nations, unity of religions, unity of ideas. Total unity, that's what I strive for. Really, I try to represent my beliefs wherever I go, even on this forum. And above all, I always try to make these words more than just that--words.

Y'know, this is kind of a poll thread, but it's still one of the best topics I've had the joy of replying to.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 3 of 57

Jump to: