ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Game/Guitar Compatibility Guide (Updated 11/20)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xeroxgp  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtomskMC wrote:
Yep, I'll definitely be playing online. Looking forward to going head-to-head with some SHers (don't worry, I suck ) or maybe even play some online co-op.

May I ask for examples of your plastic guitar ability? I'm just curious, and i'd love to play with/or against you or anyone else on SH online this fall. It will be awesome.

I was going to tell you that I suck.

I don't know about you, but I like where they're headed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: XeroXGP PSN Name: Conlin
Pcowperthwaite  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I was thinking of Atomsk.

From DFan

"OK, here it is, from the horse's mouth.

You can use a Guitar Hero controller to play Rock Band. It works perfectly well. There are no special points you can only get with a Rock Band controller or something. We made a decision early on not to make any part of scoring contingent on using our guitars, because we are nice. "

The problem is that this doesnt explicitly specify that you can play with the Les Paul.But if the x-plorers work with both it might be reasonable to assume they share some common inputs even if the strat has some extra features?
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtomskMC wrote:
Well, Harmonix have publicly stated that they think cross-compatibility is important and that they will try to make the GH controllers work with Rock Band as best as possible, and that if Neversoft asked them, they'd be happy to make the Fenders compatible with GH as well.

I'm not blaming Neversoft for any lack of news or anything, all I'm saying is that we haven't heard anything public from Neversoft in response. Now, for all we know maybe Neversoft is talking to Harmonix but just hasn't mentioned it publicly - or, for all we know perhaps Harmonix have made no real attempt to talk to Neversoft about the controllers at all.

Yeah my poitn is two-fold:

(A) its tough to judge how much actual meat HMX put in private behind their very public announcments in favour of cross-compatibility. Saying in previews with news sites for Rock Band 'we are interested in cross compatibility, and all neversoft has to do is ask us to make it compatible' (paraphrase), sounds to me a whole lot liek they are expecting RO/Nsft to just send them over the details of the game engine for GH3 and controller implementation for the Les Pauls, theres no way its as simple as HMX seems to be making it out to be in those quotes, and besides the public gaming press isnt really the proper channel for a opening serious dialoge on that subject.

(B) A lot of that stuff doesnt really land on Nsft directly. They arent in charge of the Les Paul controller at all, thats RO's domain (though im sure they have input on it), nor would i expect Nsft to work directly with HMX to ensure Start compatibility with GH3, short of if HMX just sent them demos of their stuff unsolicited. Calling them out specifically like that (although i think that the original interviews maybe they were talking about RO and the fans just added the Nsft part themselves in) seems like a bit of a dick move, when regarless of what Nsft would think about the idea of having perfect controller interoperability between RB and GH3, they would be completely at the mercy of people above them at either RO or Activision if one of them had a different opinion on the subject.

Now i dont doubt Alex Rigopolus' earnestness for cross compatibility, ive read interviews with him and he clearly has a passion for his job, the fans and the vision of the game they want to create, as well as a rhetorical flourish to his turn of phrase (plus such a deal would certainly benefit them greatly as it would offset some of the start up costs for GH3 commited consumers to get exposure to their newly started brand particularly if the Les Paul turns out to be mechanically superior), i just think its overly simplistic for the situation to get painted as 'well HMX wrote in Rock Band previews that if Nsft took the initiative, they (HMX) would be happy to ensure compatibility, so when the inevitable compatibility issues arise clearly its GH3's fault' (paraphrase, i realize thats not whats explicitly gettignstated here). Now it could turn out that eventually it comes ot light that HMX/MTV/EA offered a very reasonable (to fans) technology exchange that Activision/RO/Nsft turned down, but part of me just feels this was just a salvo in the rhetoric war between both brands on par with the ridiculous statements that some activision execs made disparaging Rock Band as an 'imitator', etc.
Magnet  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmonix only stated that...

"...should Activision request it, they can make the Rock Band guitar controller compatible with Guitar Hero III."

If it isn't compatible, Neversoft will not be to blame. But how could anyone possibly say that this statement was on par with Activision calling Rock Band an imitator? That statement was unfounded and cheap while Harmonix's is a perfectly reasonable statement. If the Strat's not compatible, it's because Activision never requested it. It's not akin to any ridiculous statements at all, nor do I see how someone could possibly interpret it as ridiculous. It's up to Activision to request it if they want the Strat to be compatible. Simple.
AtomskMC  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pcowperthwaite wrote:
This is what I was thinking of Atomsk.

From DFan

"OK, here it is, from the horse's mouth.

You can use a Guitar Hero controller to play Rock Band. It works perfectly well. There are no special points you can only get with a Rock Band controller or something. We made a decision early on not to make any part of scoring contingent on using our guitars, because we are nice. "

The problem is that this doesnt explicitly specify that you can play with the Les Paul.But if the x-plorers work with both it might be reasonable to assume they share some common inputs even if the strat has some extra features?

Ah, okay. If you checked back with DFan, I'm 90% sure he'd say that he could only guarantee it would work with existing GH1/2/80s guitars, and that they couldn't possibly confirm for GH3 guitars seeing as they haven't had access to GH3 or the GH3 guitars to test them (to my knowledge, anyway).

Basically, if Activision/RO/Nsft felt like it, they could program the guitars differently to only work for GH games, or they could program GH3 to only work for GH guitars. Now I'm not saying I think they will (I don't) but since the possibility is there, HMX couldn't say with certainty that RB would work with a Les Paul, or GH3 with a Fender.

Unless we get some sort of announcement from either party saying that they've gotten together and shared their new game/controller info, we'll just have to wait until release I suppose to see if we get the cross-compatibility we're hoping for.

Last edited by AtomskMC on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: AtomskPS
wesjett08  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever notice this,sorry if its old or somthing.

From the noob guide on the RB forums

Quote:
PT: Soo...wireless is still available?
FA: Yes for both 360 and PS3. It is not a matter of a wireless being available but will a wireless be bundled. Which it is not. Even still you can use the (opinion in factual work alert!) craptacular Guitar Hero III Les Paul.
AtomskMC  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who posted that is just a regular member of the forums, from what I can tell, not an official source, and has not provided any source to back that claim up. And considering it's full of biased "RB is superior to GH" and "XBOX is superior to PS3" crap, I wouldn't give it any credibility at all. TBH I can't believe they'd even sticky such a stupid thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: AtomskPS
wesjett08  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok,I just was'nt for sure if that was official or not.
AtomskMC  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the chart to include the "USB guitar" that was announced for the PC/MAC version. I also removed guitar/console combinations that were completely impossible (such as the PS3 Les Paul or Fender playing on the PS2) since it seemed pointless to have them on the chart. So if a console/guitar combination is no longer listed, it's because there's no compatibility.

Playing GH3/RB Online? Join the XBL/PSN/Wii list!
Over 570 players and rising, now separated by console!

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26327

Game/Guitar Compatibility Guide:
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26086
Chris Vance wrote:
I GOT [GH3] ON TEH SEGA DREAMCASTZ FOR 20 BUCKZ ON TEH BLACK MARKETZ
AtomskMC  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated with the following information:

- Xplorer will work with PC/MAC edition. Other console guitars unknown at this point.

- The PS2 Kramer will not feature a removable faceplate.

- All four consoles will sell the game+guitar bundle at launch, but the PS2 guitar is the only guitar which will sell separately on launch. Also, only the PS2 and the 360 games will sell separately at launch (without a guitar).

- The play and charge kit for the XBOX360 will not work with the Les Paul.

Chris Vance wrote:
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great! That means I'll be buying Rock Band now for sure. I was on the fence for being unsure about the guitar, but was afraid to be a n00b and ask. Thank you for making this!

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
xeroxgp  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll see it and change it, but right now, you've got this thread updated from Oct. 24th.

Also, I thought I heard that the PC/Mac version was going to be packaged with a USB Explorer, no new guitar, and that the Explorer would work for both PC/Mac and 360. Not sure on that, though.

I don't know about you, but I like where they're headed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: XeroXGP PSN Name: Conlin
AtomskMC  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, whoops, getting a month ahead of myself. I wish it was Oct 24th.

You're absolutely right about the PC/360 Xplorer, I'll fix that up immediately.

Also, I noticed that Jay Gordon said "Guitar Hero III [PC/MAC] will support any USB Guitar Hero guitar controller, including the Xbox 360 model" and that made me think...

Rodth from RedOctane confirmed that the PS3 Les Paul will use a USB dongle for the wireless, rather than using the PS3's built-in wireless system. Sooo... this means that the PS3's Les Paul should be fully usable with the PC/MAC version, too!

Chris Vance wrote:
AtomskMC  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bumping this topic so it doesn't fall into oblivion.

Chris Vance wrote:
ecoots  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for adding the pc compatibility part.
Now all i need is a quad core CPU with 8 Gigs of ram, 2 dual core S.L.I.'d video cards and a xbox360 emulator and i can play rock band! /sarcasm

**edit**
All things being equal, shouldn't the "playing on p.c." list the ps/2 guitars?
or is this only pertaining to Gh3? hence the "unknown". If so, would you consider adding R.B. to the compatibility charts? Because this is in Misc Game Discussion or does that mean only guitar hero series? sorry to ramble but it's what i do best.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2542887335471555638&q=sailcat&total=19&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxG2pjo_3HU

Torchy wrote:
I'd sell my heart-shaped box and eat your cancer to work at Harmonix
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: