ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Five Stars for You Here (NfMH Expert Guide)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tosh1977  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say the effort and detail in this guide is exceptional. Really well written. Thanks very much. I might actually give this another go and try and get to at least a 4 star so thanks for the inspiration.

I agree with updating the thread title though to something a little clearer for those who might not spot it.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another wincredible guide! You rock at guide-writing, seriously. Really helpful; I'll definitely use it, thanks
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:
zsjostrom35 wrote:
English major

NO FUCKING WONDER.

You do know I was talking about jesse, right? In the post I quoted, he actually reworded a sentence to avoid ending a clause with a preposition. On an INTERNET FORUM.

I myself am a math major, in case you're wondering. You have no idea how much fun I had writing that section on hexadecimal color codes in my guide-writing guide...

teliot wrote:
I would change the thread title though. I had no clue what song this was for until I saw the bolded name.

Tosh1977 wrote:
I agree with updating the thread title though to something a little clearer for those who might not spot it.

Guess I got a little too cute. I hoped that people would know what it was about, but it's very hard to judge something like that when you wrote it yourself. Thanks for the input.

Is it better now?

NfskMjmMal wrote:
Another error: When describing Part D of the chorus (Preliminary Section), you describe the first position fingering for the note as 3 3. That should be 3 4

Of course it should, especially as I already fixed something in section D *facepalm*. Thanks.

NfskMjmMal wrote:
About the guide, I, once again, cannot find words that describe how amazing this guide it.

You know that this song is very troublesome for many, and it was one of your goals to 5* it, so it was great that you could work toward one of your goals, and because you began to write one of your always excellent guides almost immediately, with great techniques that works fresh in your mind, you ended up helping a ton of people in the process. Awesome!

I think that your guides only get better as you continue to write more. This guide was incredibly in depth and detailed, but again, I think your style of writing makes this guide interesting and even more worth it to read.

You have really shown you understand exactly what it takes to get 5*, and have stressed the importance of getting those parts down by great word choice, and by going into even more detail, which I thought was one of the best things about this guide.

I thought the section about using practice mode intelligently was amazing. You have obviously mastered this tool and you are more than able to describe great methods of getting the tricky and crucial parts down.

The section covering star power was fantastic. Having experienced many star power phrases that are very difficult to consistently hit, you did an excellent job of covering alternative star power paths that can fit many people's abilities to hit the star power phrases, to maximize score.

Another thing I thought was great about this guide was you looked at many threads covering Nothing For Me Here, took tips from other players, and inserted them into your guide, giving this guide more completion, because of the multiple perspectives.

Again, it's awesome that you love writing these guides and love helping out and giving to this great community. That means a lot, and also means that you'll be helping so many people with more incredible guides in the future.

Keep 'em coming! You're the best! (In my, and many others' opinions)

If I ever were to achieve the eloquence in writing my guides thet you do in complimenting them, I'd probably become so arrogant that they'd have to throw me off the forums. Thank you very much, once again.

By the way, the main reason I set that goal of five-starring the song was so I could write this guide. And it's a good thing I did, too, because otherwise I never would have developed that method of practicing the chorus in very small chunks, which is the only real innovation I had here. The rest is just a compilation of common sense and stuff I found in old threads.

HangEmHigh208 wrote:
Hopefully this helps me 5*, I read your Before I Forget guide and went from 3 to 5 stars on my first try.

Tosh1977 wrote:
I have to say the effort and detail in this guide is exceptional. Really well written. Thanks very much. I might actually give this another go and try and get to at least a 4 star so thanks for the inspiration.

Yewb wrote:
Another wincredible guide! You rock at guide-writing, seriously. Really helpful; I'll definitely use it, thanks

Thanks, and good luck!
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35: You don't think your guides are eloquent? Heh, you can stop the self-depreciation! We all know you as a cool, helpful guy who writes amazing, complex and above all helpful guides, so you can admit it yourself

Also, even though it's accepted in most formal correspondence now, I still hate ending sentences with prepositions I've probably done it at some point here, though.

I was going to make sure I purposely avoided it in that paragraph, but I decided it would look tacky.

I was also going to do it in the sentence directly above, but I couldn't think of a way in which I could d-- er, a way I could do it in.

On a totally unrelated note, I felt like sharing my current weapon in a browser game:

I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.

Last edited by Yewb on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
zsjostrom35: You don't think your guides are eloquent? Heh, you can stop the self-depreciation! We all know you as a cool, helpful guy who writes amazing, complex and above all helpful guides, so you can admit it yourself

Extensive? Most certainly. Technically detailed? Yes. Helpful? I've received enough feedback to agree with that. Eloquent? Probably not. This is eloquence:

bjwdestroyer wrote:
The first minute or so of the song goes by pretty smoothly, making you wonder why the hell Raining Blood is in tier 8.

Then Mosh 1 happens. You suddenly feel violated like a 14-year-old Japanese girl on a commuter train heading to Tokyo.

Flowery prose indeed.

In any case, I've never been one to have the "oh, look at me, I'm the greatest" attitude. It's much more comfortable for me to deflect praise than accept it; I'm not sure why.

Yewb wrote:
Also, even though it's accepted in most formal correspondence now, I still hate ending sentences with prepositions I've probably done it at some point here, though.

I was going to make sure I purposely avoided it in that paragraph, but I decided it would look tacky.

I usually avoid it as well, but the "I can't find anything about which to complain" construction sounds so pretentious that I had to call him out on it . Plus I knew he was an English major, so it made for a decent joke.

Yewb wrote:
I was also going to do it in the sentence directly above, but I couldn't think of a way in which I could d-- er, a way I could do it in.

Lol. I believe it was Yoda who said

Yoda's Rules of Grammar wrote:
Never end a sentence, a preposition with.

Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
Traverz  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guide is FTW, one of the best i've read on scorehero
[] GH2 Guitar God (Six, oh god im so fucking close)
[X] TTFAF 4-star
[] DWDTG 4-star
Swedish GH-player
jesse0986  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all jerks
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guide, i just though i might put my 2 cents in to add some tips, and im too lazy to go back and look at what section this is, but during the 2 fast strumming sections where it goes (something like) YYYYBBBBOOOORRRRBBBB, i like to actually use the hammerons and play the remaining notes as gallops, as jesse said this song seems to be slightly off sync with the fretboard, and this part often broke my combo when i felt like i was on beat, so just go dudhdudhdudhdudhdudh and so on, and yes, im too lazy to make all of the h's pink.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Hooray its Mike
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traverz wrote:
This guide is FTW, one of the best i've read on scorehero

HoorayItsMike wrote:
Awesome guide

Thanks!

jesse0986 wrote:
You're all jerks

Thank YOU as well! If you had said "Your all jerks," I might have had to fall on the ground and die laughing.

HoorayItsMike wrote:
i just though i might put my 2 cents in to add some tips, and im too lazy to go back and look at what section this is, but during the 2 fast strumming sections where it goes (something like) YYYYBBBBOOOORRRRBBBB, i like to actually use the hammerons and play the remaining notes as gallops, as jesse said this song seems to be slightly off sync with the fretboard, and this part often broke my combo when i felt like i was on beat, so just go dudhdudhdudhdudhdudh and so on, and yes, im too lazy to make all of the h's pink.

I thought about that at first, but I didn't put it in because I was afraid it might be more trouble than it was worth. Now that I have evidence of somebody actually being able to do it, however, I have no problems with it being there.

EDIT: I ended up having to reformat the entire Solo 1 section to accommodate this, but it probably needed some work anyway. I also have an additional alt-strumming method listed now to accommodate lunatics like TheThirdDay who feel the need to alt-strum everything .
Proud Christian
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesse0986 wrote:
You're all jerks

You forgot to put a period at the end of your sentence.
thechedude  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:
jesse0986 wrote:
You're all jerks

I was about to call that out.

Also: Awesome guide. I've gotten close to the 5* mark, and I hope to reach it soon with the help of this guide.
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechedude wrote:
TheThirdDay wrote:
jesse0986 wrote:
You're all jerks

I was about to call that out.

Also: Awesome guide. I've gotten close to the 5* mark, and I hope to reach it soon with the help of this guide.

I must say, I'm quite enjoying the fact that my guide is now getting second billing to a discussion on grammar . Thanks anyway.

And I'm pretty sure emoticons count as periods.
See, if I make this sentence big and red, it looks just fine
Proud Christian
Djdunn80  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night i got bored of breaking combo on the annoying so randomly halfway through a PFO started playing it by madly downstrumming it all and to my surprise i missed not once from wheni did this. Not sure if it helped just me but try it and it may work for you :P I am unsure as to whether i utilize the hammer on because as i say it was just downstrummed as fast as i can with no pattern i thought
Malchia  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guide, this'll definitely help me make 67 5*s.
GH3: FC #32 - Welcome to the Jungle! TOP 500!!!!
Rockband: Big Updates
GH Goals:
Top 500 on all 3 games [ ] (GH3, taken down.)
FC 20 songs on each games [ ]
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added a hands vid for the Chorus by rott3np3anut. Thanks to Quickshot657 for giving it to me.

Djdunn80 wrote:
Last night i got bored of breaking combo on the annoying so randomly halfway through a PFO started playing it by madly downstrumming it all and to my surprise i missed not once from wheni did this. Not sure if it helped just me but try it and it may work for you :P I am unsure as to whether i utilize the hammer on because as i say it was just downstrummed as fast as i can with no pattern i thought

Hmm...I'm reluctant to put in a method that basically boils down to strum flailing. This is especially true since you don't even know whether you're using the hammer-on or not (I'd say probably you are, but that's just a guess). In any event, I think it would be much more beneficial in the long run for a player to try to learn this section correctly.
Proud Christian

Last edited by zsjostrom35 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: