ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guide to Using Practice Mode Effectively
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bravo  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peekay wrote:
I do personally have a question- In most of the examples you gave, it's about repetitive parts of songs (I.E Choruses and Verses)- which I do believe you should be able to 100% before moving up. My question, however, is what is a good percent to get before moving up for solos? I am talking about people who want to 5 star- not get FCs, would they want to get about 90% in the solos before moving up to the next speed or 95% or what? Personally I myself try to get consistent 90%'s for solos before moving up to the next speed. Some people don't want 100% in those spots, they just want to be good enough to pass/5 star it- so is there are any suggestion of a percent to get in really hard parts?

EDIT: Really great guide- well written and great information .

From my personal experience to move a speed if you just want to go for passing/5*ing I'd recommend 90%. That means you're getting the motions down, and just may be tripping up on certain things that you know you can't hit/can't be assed to hit (whatever the case may be). And if you still get about 90% or higher on the next speed you should be good to go. IMO. If you bomb it on FS then you might want to consider just working with it on a lower speed enough times to where it starts becoming muscle memory.

Going back to the Stricken yellow snake, I hit it on slow first try. Then tried it on FS and failed miserably. So, I took it back to slow a few more times and found I was starting to get ahead of it in terms of speed as my fingers became used to the motions it requires. That was when I knew I needed to go back up to FS and lol and behold I hit the yellow snake on FS.

Edit: And to expound a bit on the 5*ing part. The more you play it, the better you'll become and naturally you'll begin to hit more of it as time moves on but 90/95 is what I shoot for as well when just trying to learn a section and not FC it.

Last edited by Bravo on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
NfskMjmMal  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short, simple, and to the point: zsjostrom35 is made of win
Once again, phenominal guide.
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peekay wrote:
I do personally have a question- In most of the examples you gave, it's about repetitive parts of songs (I.E Choruses and Verses)- which I do believe you should be able to 100% before moving up. My question, however, is what is a good percent to get before moving up for solos? I am talking about people who want to 5 star- not get FCs, would they want to get about 90% in the solos before moving up to the next speed or 95% or what? Personally I myself try to get consistent 90%'s for solos before moving up to the next speed. Some people don't want 100% in those spots, they just want to be good enough to pass/5 star it- so is there are any suggestion of a percent to get in really hard parts?

This method isn't so much geared toward learning solos (although I guess you can apply it there; see Bravo's post on the first page). And the percentage you want can vary extremely based on a number of factors, such as star power, the structure of the song itself, and how well you're doing elsewhere. A song like One, for example, can easily be five-starred even if you only hit 50% in Fast Solo A, provided you use star power wisely and combo the Darkness Riffs. On the other hand, you're not going to five-star Through the Fire and Flames without comboing through a large number of solo fills in addition to hitting the "easy" stuff ("easy" being a highly relative term there). That's what a good song-specific five-star guide is for; figuring out what parts are important to hit and which can be safely flailed without sacrificing necessary points.

Bottom line, the kind of practice I'm talking about here is really only going to help you with developing your skill at a specific section that you "should" already know how to hit. Generally, as you pointed out, these are sections that tend to repeat quite a bit and as such are usually very important to FC in order to get a good score (and by extension, five stars).

Peekay wrote:
EDIT: Really great guide- well written and great information .

Thanks!
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian

Last edited by zsjostrom35 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:26 am; edited 3 times in total
PandaSteak  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to bjw and his RaBl guide of ultimate win, I'd go as far as to say you're the best guide writer here. I always enjoy reading your stuff, and its immeasurably helpful. Keep em coming!
Peekay  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response .
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Guide to Using Practice Mode Effectively Reply with quote

-Magnum- wrote:
zsjostrom35 wrote:
<[*]Thanks to -Magnum- for guide-ninja'ing me on Cliffs of Dover, which resulted in the expansion of my idea for practicing the chorus into an entire guide.

Thanks for the thanks, man. And great guide too.

100th post!

By the way, I wanted to remind you that you could copy that sample section in the middle for your Cliffs of Dover guide if you wanted to. Actually, you should probably just link it or paraphrase it, seeing as it's really long.

NfskMjmMal wrote:
Short, simple, and to the point: zsjostrom35 is made of win
Once again, phenominal guide.

PandaSteak wrote:
With all due respect to bjw and his RaBl guide of ultimate win, I'd go as far as to say you're the best guide writer here. I always enjoy reading your stuff, and its immeasurably helpful. Keep em coming!

You guys...

As for the last comment PandaSteak made, I'm not really sure how much there is left in GHIII that even needs a guide (at least not much that I can do, anyway ). I'll obviously continue to write them if I can keep thinking of more general topics like this one where I have something definite to contribute, but those types are more of an out of the blue "hey, I've got an idea..." kind of thing. The Impulse guide was the same way.
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
eXcelon969  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkjt510 wrote:
Win.

Just win.

really? we have come to the point where this stuff is necessary?

if you need a guide to tell you how to practice a song, you should probably choose an easier song. or just quit GH altogether and um go collect stamps (i'm sure there's a guide for that)

on the topic of win tho... inkjt510, your avatar wins.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eXcelon969 wrote:
if you need a guide to tell you how to practice a song, you should probably choose an easier song. or just quit GH altogether and um go collect stamps (i'm sure there's a guide for that.

eXcelon, you are far better at this game than I will ever be, but in that post you come across as very ignorant as to what it's like to struggle with mental blocks on a song. Maybe that's not your fault; maybe your fingers always do what you want them to do, but speaking as a person who started out as a horrible Expert player and has gradually worked his way up to the (debatable) level of "decent" I can say that there are definitely right and wrong ways to practice. Judging by the responses I've been getting so far, this technique is not something that everybody already knew, and based on my own experience and that of others in this thread I think it's fair to say that this method works. If somebody had posted a thread like this four months ago, I would have five-starred Nothing for Me Here long before I did.

I am not at all offended that you find this guide (and probably all my other guides for that matter) unhelpful to you, but it sounds like you're belittling the opinions of others who disagree for the simple fact that they're not as good as you. [/rant]

EDIT: I'm sorry if I've come across as arrogant and belittling myself in this post. It's just that I've always adhered to the philosophy that any thread that helps a single player improve as single score by a single point is worth having in this forum. If you honestly think that this guide does not have the potential to do that, then I will welcome any constructive criticism you care to give and even accept a certain amount of ridicule for wasting forum space.
Proud Christian
eXcelon969  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i struggle with lots of songs.

whether you are a medium player trying to improve to hard or an expert player looking for those last several fcs you will need practice mode.

my point is, there are so many silly guides on this forum. this being one of them.

practice mode is common sense. find the section you are missing in. slow it down. look at the note pattern and work up to full speed.

i really dont see why someone needed to write so much to cover common sense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eXcelon969 wrote:
practice mode is common sense. find the section you are missing in. slow it down. look at the note pattern and work up to full speed.

Did you even read the guide? The point is it's not always that easy. This covers more mental problems than actual physical problems. Sometimes, even on slowest, you just can't seem to hit something that you should be hitting quite adeptly (Was that that right word?). This guide is about sussing out those mental problems and fixing them by doing more than simply slowing it down and playing it over and over again.

A long time ago, someone made a guide on sharpening a rock into an axe blade to cut down trees more easily. But some people were like "This is pointless. Just keep hitting it with the rock 'till it comes down."

"Common sense."
Moneybags137  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad but true I would mess up on missippi queen on solo 1 and well I still do. Was the part I would mess up on but this guide has help.

My Acc
Total Fcs [86] Latest: [Same Old Song and Dance]
Best(In terms of the Fc list): The Seeker
El jefe[4-7-09]
The log[4-10-09]
[51/70] FGFC GH3H
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: moneybags137
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been debating with myself all day whether I should respond again to the above discussion or just let it go. I've decided that I want to make one more argument:

eXcelon969 wrote:
i really dont see why someone needed to write so much to cover common sense.

Suppose that I allow you the point that the information in my guide is common sense. How does that change anything? It's clear from the responses I've gotten that people are finding it helpful, so your claim that they should already know how to use Practice Mode does nothing but insult their intelligence.

Okay, I promise I'm done with this if everyone else is.

Moneybags137 wrote:
Sad but true I would mess up on missippi queen on solo 1 and well I still do. Was the part I would mess up on but this guide has help.

That part used to trip me up quite a bit too. Fortunately it's probably the hardest part of the song and it's only about thirty seconds in so you don't feel too frustrated with restarting if you miss it. And I'm glad the guide helped you.
Proud Christian
eXcelon969  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading how my ideas of this thread are improper/incorrect i went back and read the whole OP.

thank god now i finally used practice mode properly and FCd Slow Ride on Medium. that was eluding me for a long time as i couldnt get practice mode to work properly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit.

Awesome.

Favourited.

THIS JUST IN

ONLY ONE GIRL ON EARTH HAS BOOBS
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eXcelon, I don't think our discussion here is contributing much to the thread at this point; I suggest we take it to PMs if there's anything else you'd like to say.

devinring wrote:
Holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit.

Awesome.

Favourited.

Thanks! I'm not gonna pretend that a little encouragement doesn't mean a lot to me right now
Proud Christian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: