ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guide to Using Practice Mode Effectively
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macles007  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice.

You should also talk about the benefits of hyperspeed.

For instance I use hyperspeed 2 on FS, but when I practice a section on slow, I use HS 3 or 4.

GH3 Main Setlist 5 Starred [ ]
Raining Blood [ ]
Just need to beat these two
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macles007 wrote:
Very Nice.

You should also talk about the benefits of hyperspeed.

For instance I use hyperspeed 2 on FS, but when I practice a section on slow, I use HS 3 or 4.

That's definitely a good idea. I'll add it to the Troubleshooting section, thanks!
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Guide to Using Practice Mode Effectively Reply with quote

Okay, here's the deal. I want to practice section c3 of Jordan's Solo C, or:

That starts half-way through the solo! Am I just supposed to just stare at the notes scrolling by that whole time, waiting for It to come? 'Cause I'm really impatient, and that's just not gonna fly. Plus, all that time will really add up in the end...
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you obviously don't have to just sit there, but you probably shouldn't play past the beginning of measure 64 or so if you want to concentrate on the part you have marked. The main thing is that you're not letting extraneous pieces of the solo distract you from what you want to practice.

To be quite honest, I didn't exactly have the Jordan solo in mind when I wrote this guide; the whole "hit ONLY what you're practicing" thing was really meant to be applied more to a chorus-type section where the trouble spot repeats about four times (it's not much of a problem to wait for about two seconds in between them). As I mentioned to Peekay a page back or so, that's more of the sort of section that's likely for an intermediate-level player to develop a mental block. If you're at the point where Jordan Solo C is giving you mental problems rather than physical, you may be beyond the scope of this guide to help. At the very least, I can't say for sure whether the method will be any good for you, because I certainly can't hit the thing.
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
AlderDragon  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice guide you have here! I do have one bit of advice. For "locating the problem" that is, pinpointing which note you are missing on, I've found an excellent way of doing this is to record your gameplay for about 4 or 5 minutes on slow and full speeds. Then, play it back on the computer but slow it down to about half speed, or slower. You'll be able to see if you strummed too early, didn't hammer on fast enough, or missed the note entirely. Recording my hands and playing it back as also helped me out.

Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, I skimmed through this so I really hope this wasn't already listed, but I just have a tip that I'd like to give.

When you're in practice mode, if you hit a section once using a new method you've come up with..DON'T STOP PLAYING IT. Especially with Dragonforce songs and whatnot. Heroes of Our Time Solo 2D is a good example...I used to one hand it and hit it like 1/4 times..and that was enough for me, so I stopped practicing it. I left it like that for a couple months and never bothered changing up my fingering, just relied on luck to hit it. This morning I took it to practice mode and came up with a technique to tap it, and now I hit it almost every time. Just because you can hit something doesn't always mean you've found a good method. Keep working on it until you can hit it easily every time. Also, tapping stuff rather than one handing it allows you to better memorize the section and know what's coming. For more complicated tapping patterns, it even allows you to memorize the section because you kinda HAVE to have it memorized to know how to tap it.
-FretsOnFireGh2

I belong to the ManOfMrE Fan Club.
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlderDragon wrote:
Very nice guide you have here! I do have one bit of advice. For "locating the problem" that is, pinpointing which note you are missing on, I've found an excellent way of doing this is to record your gameplay for about 4 or 5 minutes on slow and full speeds. Then, play it back on the computer but slow it down to about half speed, or slower. You'll be able to see if you strummed too early, didn't hammer on fast enough, or missed the note entirely. Recording my hands and playing it back as also helped me out.

That is an excellent idea; I'll put it in. As you've probably noticed, the problem with trying to figure out misses is that you generally won't miss the section until it's fast enough that you can't tell why, which your method will neatly solve. Thanks.

AlderDragon wrote:
Well done!

And thanks again .

FretsOnFireGh2 wrote:
I'll be honest, I skimmed through this so I really hope this wasn't already listed, but I just have a tip that I'd like to give.

When you're in practice mode, if you hit a section once using a new method you've come up with..DON'T STOP PLAYING IT. Especially with Dragonforce songs and whatnot. Heroes of Our Time Solo 2D is a good example...I used to one hand it and hit it like 1/4 times..and that was enough for me, so I stopped practicing it. I left it like that for a couple months and never bothered changing up my fingering, just relied on luck to hit it. This morning I took it to practice mode and came up with a technique to tap it, and now I hit it almost every time. Just because you can hit something doesn't always mean you've found a good method. Keep working on it until you can hit it easily every time. Also, tapping stuff rather than one handing it allows you to better memorize the section and know what's coming. For more complicated tapping patterns, it even allows you to memorize the section because you kinda HAVE to have it memorized to know how to tap it.

I did have something in there about not moving up to the next speed or switching to another section until you feel comfortable with the one you're working on, but it could probably stand to be emphasized more. I'll do that; thanks for the tip.
Proud Christian
GuitarGeek08  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any tips for "practicing" for GH1? If so you should try and incorporate that in there somewhere.

I Don't Suck at GH
Xpertlefty13 quoting me in his Acc Thread wrote:
Honestly, thank you

This is the first real, well thought-out explanation I've seen
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DomCas  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could make this guide in 1 sentence.

Use practice mode for the parts you have trouble with until you get consistent.

GH3x -24.5m+ (top 40 world)
ttfaf 872k
http://www.youtube.com/emericadom1126
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarGeek08 wrote:
Do you have any tips for "practicing" for GH1? If so you should try and incorporate that in there somewhere.

You could try k3v's VCR technique, though if you're doing it wrong, you could possible build up bad muscle memory.

k3v227 wrote:
You guys know I FCed decontrol. When I was recording on the vcr I rewound to the solo and played along. This helped me get learn the solo very fast. I went through it a couple of times to get the strumming down and then to get the fingering. So I think this could be the next step, after the vsg player and looking at the actual note chart, toward gh1 practice mode.

DomCas wrote:

Did you think of that all by yourself? Do you have writers?
hairyhaggler  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:

DomCas wrote:

Did you think of that all by yourself? Do you have writers?

Probably stuck a group of monkies in a room with some typwriters and hoped they would come up with something intelligent to add.

Ok , on with my post.

Firstly i would like to say a big thank you for all the time and effort you put into making this guide.I havent tried any of it as yet as i have only just read it myself,but i am sure it is going to help me out alot.
I am in need of re-training my muscle memory and i know i am already appreciative of your time.

Now heres a thing after reading through this thread.You will always get the few who look at themselves as being above others and these are the posters who come out with comments such as the one i have quoted above.If they know everything about the game and its ins and outs then why open this thread to begin with as they already know it wont be of use to them. I say they were looking for help themselves and maybe they found some useful tips maybe they didnt but they were here non the less so that says something about them. Awwww, bless there little hearts they didnt want to miss out in case there was something here to help them.

HeHeHe....

You will always get the scanners who flick through threads/posts gathering quick info fixes in aid to scoop up info large or small and leave without posting.No problems there, you achieved your goal and helped these members out.

Then you have the others who come in have a quick glance , skip to the last page of the thread and leave a post thanking or even adding a little extra info of there own hoping they too may have helped out in some way.Sometimes its already in the guide or even amongst the thread posts but due to there skipping through posts may have missed it.No problem there as they are giving something in return for your hard work.

Finally you have the ones who read through the whole thread and find the guide very useful indeed.Obviously after reading the thread title in the forum thats why we open the thread and read it, isnt it ?
They go onto reading all the other posts,and i for one found some to be amusing as well as some that added other info and i see most of it has been updated into the guide.
Then they either leave or post a reply in some way or other, such as myself twittering on...

Even if you help 1% of the community with this guide then its not gone to waste.There is always going to be new members signing up who are old or new to the game and one day this guide could be of use to them too.

Dont forget,we were all n00bs once and someone somewhere helped us when we needed it too.
Mind you , i still am a n00b.I have only just moved up to hard level and i struggle with that....
So who am i to turn down advice from someone who plays the game on expert and rinses it.

Its funny though, we come to the net and take it for granted that we can find pretty much anything here but what alot of people tend to forget or maybe dont put top of the list is that this information wouldnt be here if it wasnt for somebody sitting down and actually spending there time and effort to put it here in the first place.

So to finish off i would like to add another very large....

Rock on people.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: