ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
SlowHero Charts Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tma  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pman5595 wrote:
Okay, I'm going to use this post to point out a small bug and to thank our savior, the great- TMA!

Thanks first.

tma, I just wanted you to realize, YOU are the one that keeps scorehero going. If it wasn't for you, there would be no real competitive scoring. You increase everybody's level of skill. Because of what you do, you boost everybody's confidence when they get a good score. You make them get better so they can try that optimal path. You keep the competitive spirit at scorehero going. I want to thank you for everything you do. *bows down*

Well, uh, thanks, but I think you might be overstating my importance just a leeetle bit.

I have actually been doing some more work on the code; I think I just had a bad week, and that caused me to flip out a bit. We'll see how it goes.

pman5595 wrote:
Small bug:

on the drums blank charts every note is currently counted as 50 points base. I believe some notes (bass and orange I think) are worth 60 points base. this doesn't affect me a lot, since I'm usually don't make paths for drums, but to drum path makers, this would help.

Thanks for reminding me; it was also mentioned earlier in the thread. It'll require quite a lot of changes to the code to support it, actually; practically every part that calculates the score has the 50 point value hard coded in and this will need to be changed to support a flexible point value instead. Ugh. I'm not sure how quickly that'll happen.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
ThirstyMonkey  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey tma, thank you so much for the charts. I have two comments/requests/questions for you:

1. A HUGE problem that I noticed. The Bass charts have open sustains. These sustains do not exist in the game. I don't think it's your fault, but it can be pretty problamatic when making paths. If you look here at the Float On Hard path, you will notice that in measures 27, 31, 51, and 55 there is supposed open holds. In the game, these do not exist. I have no clue why these show up, but I have noticed one thing. They appear only when notes around them have similar behavior. In measures 27 and 51, there is and open note on beat one and another on beat 4. In between your charts say there is a hold note. If you look before and after those notes, there are regular notes that have the same thing - A beat 1 note held to beat 4. In measures 31 and 55 the chart treats it just as those other three notes - a note held for one beat. All the other open notes in the song are fine though, 50 notes per without and holds. It's just when they are near other held notes. I'm not blaming you for the problem, just pointing it out to you because I think it's pretty major.

2. I know the World Tour SP system is different, but I was wondering how much trouble it would be to run the charts under the old system. I think this would be useful for three reasons. One, a number of the bass paths are pretty basic 2, 2, 2, etc. and rarely overlap so there would be a number of paths that would already be optimal. Some might even be better than the charts now... Two, on songs that are very repetitive, with just slight variatians, it's a pain to find the exact optimal spot to activate. With SP charts that would help save the trouble of tediously examining a number of measures to find another 50 points. Finally, charts would help with squeezing, and giving us an idea of what kind of things are possible.

Thank you! I really appreciate the charts and the effort you put in to this.
tma  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThirstyMonkey wrote:
Hey tma, thank you so much for the charts. I have two comments/requests/questions for you:

Thanks for the kind words.

ThirstyMonkey wrote:
1. A HUGE problem that I noticed. The Bass charts have open sustains. These sustains do not exist in the game. I don't think it's your fault, but it can be pretty problamatic when making paths. If you look here at the Float On Hard path, you will notice that in measures 27, 31, 51, and 55 there is supposed open holds. In the game, these do not exist. I have no clue why these show up, but I have noticed one thing. They appear only when notes around them have similar behavior. In measures 27 and 51, there is and open note on beat one and another on beat 4. In between your charts say there is a hold note. If you look before and after those notes, there are regular notes that have the same thing - A beat 1 note held to beat 4. In measures 31 and 55 the chart treats it just as those other three notes - a note held for one beat. All the other open notes in the song are fine though, 50 notes per without and holds. It's just when they are near other held notes. I'm not blaming you for the problem, just pointing it out to you because I think it's pretty major.

I've see this issue mentioned in another thread too. I think the issue is that the actual game files list those notes as sustains; when I added the purple notes to the drawing routine I simply told the sustain drawing routine to skip them if they were a sustain, however this has left the score calculations out as the note is still considered a sustain internally.

Thanks for giving me a very good and easy to work with example though, I can use it to work on the bug. I think the simplest solution will be to detect the purple notes in the QB Parser and "trim" them down to just a note, however I'm a little unsure how this might affect the drum "sustain" sections, if at all. I don't fully understand the mechanics of the drum sustains as yet.

ThirstyMonkey wrote:
2. I know the World Tour SP system is different, but I was wondering how much trouble it would be to run the charts under the old system. I think this would be useful for three reasons. One, a number of the bass paths are pretty basic 2, 2, 2, etc. and rarely overlap so there would be a number of paths that would already be optimal. Some might even be better than the charts now... Two, on songs that are very repetitive, with just slight variatians, it's a pain to find the exact optimal spot to activate. With SP charts that would help save the trouble of tediously examining a number of measures to find another 50 points. Finally, charts would help with squeezing, and giving us an idea of what kind of things are possible.

It would be fairly trivial to run the charts through the old optimiser, but I'm in two minds about it. I guess I could do a run and if the resulting score is close to the current #1 score, I might release it as a possible path; let me think about it.

t
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
tma  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to report I've fixed the following bugs:

1) extra star power phrases showing up in some songs (e.g. GH-Aerosmith Back In The Saddle Easy chart).

2) open (purple) notes counting as sustains for scoring purposes.

It seems I've introduced some other bugs in the process though:

1) purple notes are showing up in charts earlier than GH:WT; these are actually HO/PO flags, but they aren't being filtered correctly on the code.

2) the star power and activation highlights are not working on OSX (my main working environment), probably relating to fixes I made to get them working with 16-bit versions of ImageMagick a little while ago.

Once I sort these last two bugs out, I'll do a fresh run of the entire chart set.
ZEFFER13  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds like paths are on their way! Thanks for putting your time into this project. I personally am too lazy to make my own. >_>

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: ZEFFER13 Wii Friend Code: 210568002975
tma  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHWT and GH:A charts have been updated with various fixes, notably the extra star power phrase from Back In The Saddle is gone, and the purple note sustains on the GHWT bass charts are fixed.
Madmann  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion for the the OP, put a little blurb explaining what SlowHero is. It took me a minute or two after visiting the site to realize what it was. I really like this project though. I think its useful for logging stats on 100% optimal FCs, and how close people actually are to them.

Accomplishments: (RB) (GH)
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:
GHWT and GH:A charts have been updated with various fixes, notably the extra star power phrase from Back In The Saddle is gone, and the purple note sustains on the GHWT bass charts are fixed.

Awesome! Also, I noticed the capitalized "H" was fixed

So what was the culprit with that SP phrase? Regardless, now I can work on getting optimal on the song :P I was actually pretty close, too...

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
ThirstyMonkey  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:
I'm happy to report I've fixed the following bugs:

1) extra star power phrases showing up in some songs (e.g. GH-Aerosmith Back In The Saddle Easy chart).

2) open (purple) notes counting as sustains for scoring purposes.

It seems I've introduced some other bugs in the process though:

1) purple notes are showing up in charts earlier than GH:WT; these are actually HO/PO flags, but they aren't being filtered correctly on the code.

2) the star power and activation highlights are not working on OSX (my main working environment), probably relating to fixes I made to get them working with 16-bit versions of ImageMagick a little while ago.

Once I sort these last two bugs out, I'll do a fresh run of the entire chart set.

Thank you very much for addressing the problem so quickly. When I looked at the charts again, I though that the problem hadn't been fixed, but apparently my computer was uploading the picture from my cache, so I cleared my private data and it worked. Thank you SO much.

Also, I've noticed that what you do to your program sometimes affects the other games' charts, so why don't you just make 5 or 6 files of the code for each game? That seems a lot easier than having to struggle with unexpected consequences...

And one more thing, how much trouble would it be to remove the black outline from HO/PO notes? I think that would just look better, even if it had limited uses.

Thank you!
tma  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmann wrote:
Just a suggestion for the the OP, put a little blurb explaining what SlowHero is. It took me a minute or two after visiting the site to realize what it was. I really like this project though. I think its useful for logging stats on 100% optimal FCs, and how close people actually are to them.

Good idea, it hadn't occurred to me that people might not know what SlowHero was about. I'll update the OP with some details, (eventually).
tma  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
tma wrote:

Awesome! Also, I noticed the capitalized "H" was fixed

So what was the culprit with that SP phrase? Regardless, now I can work on getting optimal on the song :P I was actually pretty close, too...

The issue with the SP phrase was to do with how the spopt code worked out the phrase.

There are three values in the game files for each phrase: the start point (in ms), the length of the phrase (in ms) and the number of notes. the spopt code originally used the start point and the note count to calculate which notes were star power notes, but that particular phrase in that song didn't have any notes ... which the code didn't account for very well, and it confused the optimiser code.

In my work on GHWT I had to modify the SP phrase calculation code anyway as the non-expert charts in many songs have no SP phrases at all, and rely on the Expert chart timeframes instead to work out the phrases. This fixed the chart for Back in the Saddle, in part, except the optimiser code still thought the phrase was there. I modified the code to actually completely disregard SP phrases that don't have any notes (which I calculate myself based on the start time and length, rather than relying on the note count in the gaem file); this fixed the problem completely.

I'd fixed the "H" ages ago but never regenerated the charts.

t
tma  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThirstyMonkey wrote:
Thank you very much for addressing the problem so quickly. When I looked at the charts again, I though that the problem hadn't been fixed, but apparently my computer was uploading the picture from my cache, so I cleared my private data and it worked. Thank you SO much.

ThirstyMonkey wrote:
Also, I've noticed that what you do to your program sometimes affects the other games' charts, so why don't you just make 5 or 6 files of the code for each game? That seems a lot easier than having to struggle with unexpected consequences...

I could do that, but this also becomes a code management nightmare; it means that if I fix a bug in one version, I'd also need to go and replicate that work in another code set. Also, the games share a lot of common code (the QB file parser, for instance) and it wouldn't really make sense to split it out like this.

The code is a little messy with a lot of exceptions for various differences in GH3+ and earlier versions; part of my refactoring work has been to split these exceptions out into a kind of config file which defines the options instead; this is ongoing. Hopefully a lot of these cross-game issues will go away in time.

ThirstyMonkey wrote:
And one more thing, how much trouble would it be to remove the black outline from HO/PO notes? I think that would just look better, even if it had limited uses.

I can, but it's no a high priority at the moment.

t
footballtom3685  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to be a pain in the ass, but is there any chance of GHOT: Decades charts ever happening? It's a little disappointing not having charts available at all, I don't have much motivation to try and path things without charts Not your fault of course, but you are one of the most capable people of getting those charts so I just thought I'd remind/pester you. Good luck if you do decide to go back and try to get these, but if not no worries. The fact that you're so active with the site now is really great
tma  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footballtom3685 wrote:
Hate to be a pain in the ass, but is there any chance of GHOT: Decades charts ever happening? It's a little disappointing not having charts available at all, I don't have much motivation to try and path things without charts Not your fault of course, but you are one of the most capable people of getting those charts so I just thought I'd remind/pester you. Good luck if you do decide to go back and try to get these, but if not no worries. The fact that you're so active with the site now is really great

I took an extended look at the GHOT:Decades files a while back, but unfortunately they appear to be either compressed in a way I can't work out, or they are encrypted (and possible compressed as well).

I don't know a great deal about encryption, but I have some basic things I can try; I just haven't been that interested. ;) I'll take another look though and see what I can work out. I suspect ajanata will be ultimately responsible for the charts themselves (he did the GHOT ones), when and if the files can be decoded.
jugular  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey tma, I'd just like to say thanks for all the hard work and time you've put into SlowHero. Everyone has benefitted from it, and I really don't know what the community would do without it

On another note, I noticed that in the new blank charts some of the estimated scores for songs were higher than the ones on your previous charts. For example, take a look at 'The Kill' on Expert Guitar:

http://www.slowhero.com/ghwt/guitar/expert/thekill.blank.png

The estimated score there is 348,392. Now take a look at the old chart:

http://pathhero.codemann8.com/create.php?chart=570

The estimated score there is only 332,540, making a difference of 15,852 points between the two estimated scores.

I think there might be an error in the calculations of chord sustains, because when I checked measures in those charts with chord sustains, the base score of the measure was a lot higher than it's supposed to be. I've noticed this in both Guitar and Bass charts.

Just wanted to point that out to you, and also THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU for removing the non-existent sustains from open notes on the bass chart! Keep up the great work !
My YouTube Channel: Jugulaur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: