Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Lucid Dreaming
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastercrazy10  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Lucid Dreaming Reply with quote

I've been fascinated with Lucid Dreaming for a long time and i've only been able to do it once, but yesterday i was talking with my friend who has asperger syndrome and another of my friends. They both lucid dream consistently, which got me thinking. Do any of you guys think there's any connection with Aspergers and lucid dreaming? Since those with aspergers have a better connection between their conscious and subconscious minds during wake, could that possibly transcend wake/sleep and allow those with aspergers to lucid dream more? My other friend doesn't have aspergers as far as i know, but he's extremely good at certain things without the ability to explain it and is very anti-social, so he may have something similar to aspergers.

Have any of you guys had lucid dreams, thought about them, know people who can have them? Do you know about connections between mental illnesses and lucid dreaming/dreams in general?

And if you don't know what either lucid dreaming or aspergers is, look here:
lucid dreaming
asperger syndrome

-CC10

SSCoasters.net - the biggest K'Nex roller coaster website on the planet
KnexForum.com - the best forum for everything else K'Nex
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lucid Dreaming Reply with quote

We had a really cool thread about lucid dreaming a few months ago. Nothing about ASD's came up, though. That's actually a pretty cool theory, though, I must say. But I suggest you read through the other topic, it's full of info and useful links.

And off topic, as long as you make your searches really specific, the search function is very reliable.
Drevenant  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lucid Dreaming Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:
And off topic, as long as you make your searches really specific, the search function is very reliable.

Hahahahahahaha.

Anyway, I have a friend who can actively choose what he dreams about at night, no matter what it is. He has full control over everything, like whether or not to actually have any dreams, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lucid dreams semi-frequentely. I was dropped on my head as a child, but I don't think that counts as a mental illness.
I think it is possible for Aspergers and Lucid dreaming to be connected, but it seems to me that having these dreams is connected to sleep patterns as well. I had one of these dreams this morning, as I often hit the snooze button of my alarm clock multiple times and go back to sleep. So, I'm still tired enough to start dreaming, but somehow I also know that I'm gonna need to wake up in another 10 minutes to hit the damn button again. During longer periods of sleep, I have less of a chance to have a lucid dream.
So, from what I experience, the way I sleep causes me to dream differentely. This is just my own experience, though, so don't take it for fact.
Macaron11  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had it in my life before, I want to try WBTB.

I really want to try this, I HAD to of had it at least once it my life, I can't recall.

For anyone that has, how exactly do you know it wasn't just a normal dream? And it just like "Boom, there's a hot chick", like you just picture something and it comes there? I'm sad now.
TSorbera  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have Asperger's, or something like it, and I lucid dream pretty often...not every time I dream, but I'd guesstimate a majority of dreams become lucid. No idea if it's connected. I don't see how people can never notice that they're in dreams.
GHTCP (Guitar Hero Three Control Panel) - for all your GH3 PC needs*
*not quite all needs, but for custom songs, custom game images, black background speed boost, and more
PieGuy  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSorbera wrote:
I think I have Asperger's, or something like it, and I lucid dream pretty often...not every time I dream, but I'd guesstimate a majority of dreams become lucid. No idea if it's connected. I don't see how people can never notice that they're in dreams.
You'd think with people flying around, bouncing all over the place, and talking animals, that I'd notice. But I don't. "Oh hey we're in a flying elevator to go to the 87th floor of a building made of giant Jenga blocks? Seems normal to me!"

(real dream btw)
coastercrazy10  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaron11 wrote:
For anyone that has, how exactly do you know it wasn't just a normal dream?.

Generally you'll notice that certain normal things are impossible such as telling time, reading or turning off the lights. If you can't do something you know you ALWAYS can, you're most likely in a dream state and you can attempt to start directing things. Of course, really weird things can still happen that you have no control over, but you CAN control your reactions. It's pretty intense.

And TSorbera: I think most people go "wow, this is ridiculous", realize they might be dreaming and wake up. The thing about lucid dreaming is you have to realize you're in a dream but if you get too exited you wake up. Also, what Asperger's-like symptoms do you have? Do you see things that only make sense to you but you can't really explain them? The way i figured out my friend had it is because he told me he sees pink smiley faces on certain chess board spots that tell him different things about different matches but he understands it subconsciously. Stuff like that is typically related to Asperger's syndrome.

-CC10

Macaron11  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastercrazy10 wrote:
Macaron11 wrote:

Generally you'll notice that certain normal things are impossible such as telling time, reading or turning off the lights. If you can't do something you know you ALWAYS can, you're most likely in a dream state and you can attempt to start directing things. Of course, really weird things can still happen that you have no control over, but you CAN control your reactions. It's pretty intense.

-CC10
I guess I have before then, I'm like "Shit, this is crazy, wait, that's not possible! That must mean... *wakes up*... :<"

Also, my awkwardest dream that I remember is that I had a test in reading class about Metallica's Death Magnetic, I got a 20 since the questions were impossible, such as "What are the tabs to the chorus of The Judas Kiss?" and etc.

I'm the only one?
coastercrazy10  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaron11 wrote:
coastercrazy10 wrote:
Macaron11 wrote:

-CC10
I guess I have before then, I'm like "Shit, this is crazy, wait, that's not possible! That must mean... *wakes up*...

Well technically to be a lucid dream you have to start directing things/knowingly influencing things in your dream. So while you've begun to lucid dream you woke up...if you do that again you can try to WILD(wake induced lucid dreaming) where you keep thinking about the dream you were having and go back into that same dream with knowledge of it and begin making things happen. Studies were actually performed in a similar manner and saw a 60% success rate. It's in the wiki link in the OP.

-CC10

TSorbera  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have some specific way I know of to check if I'm dreaming or not, I just notice it somehow...sometimes I'll wake up right away, but usually if it's an exciting dream I'll stay in it for a while before I wake up.
GHTCP (Guitar Hero Three Control Panel) - for all your GH3 PC needs*
*not quite all needs, but for custom songs, custom game images, black background speed boost, and more
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the other thread, I read on this and heard of a guy who would check his hand every 90 minutes during the day and decide if he was awake or not. Eventually when he was asleep he would do the same and figure out he was dreaming. I tried this and it kinda worked, the only problem was that I convinced myself that I was awake when I was actually sleeping. My other problem is that when I realize I'm dreaming I usually wake up. I'm a very light sleeper so lucid dreaming might not be my thing. I think I did it once but after I woke up I couldn't decide if I was lucid dreaming or if it was just apart of my dream.

i think your connection to your friends and lucid dreaming is really a convincing argument also. I think you're on to something.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
thegibbonator  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lucid Dreaming Reply with quote

coastercrazy10 wrote:
Have any of you guys had lucid dreams, thought about them, know people who can have them? Do you know about connections between mental illnesses and lucid dreaming/dreams in general?

I suffer from clinical depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, yet as far as I'm aware I have never experienced a lucid dream, so I guess this helps to disprove the idea that mental disorders in general contribute to lucid dreaming. However, I do have some extremely vivid dreams sometimes, but I don't really have much control over what happens in them. These dreams seem to be about either arguments with friends, sex (yeah I know >_>), or being confronted by fears, and in all cases I can experience the dream as if it is truly real, but my body works by itself; I don't have any proper bearing on what actually happens. Does this count as a lucid dream?

I know somebody who suffers from Asperger syndrome so I could try asking him about lucid dreams if you like.

My last.fm profile. My musical taste is obviously superior to everybody else's. Even if it does include black metal, classical and synthpop.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Tetrinity
coastercrazy10  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that really doesn't qualify...you need to have at least a bit of sustained conscious direction. And i should have said certain mental disorders, not all...specifically autism/aspergers.

-CC10

muna  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have asperger syndrome, but just this morning something strange happened. I was dreaming, then within my dream, I suddenly came to the conclusion that I was dreaming and immediately woke up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: