ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
NfskMjmMal2: GH3X DLC: Revolution Deathsquad 5*!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: NfskMjmMal2: GH3X DLC: Revolution Deathsquad 5*! Reply with quote

NfskMjmMal2’s Accomplishment Thread Finally...

Recent Accomplishments (The last 5, so this section doesn’t overflow)
  • 3/25/09: Revolution Deathsquad 5*!!! I never expected the remaining 30K+ to come so quickly, but it turned out that all I needed to do was perform just a little better everywhere.
    Actually, earlier today, I had increased my score from 508K to 525K. About 15 minutes after entering my new score, to my complete surprise, 556K, for a total of a 48K score increase.
    Only one song left until (almost) complete GH3 domination...
  • 3/23/09: Halo Theme MJOLNIR Mix FC! This FC was pretty overdue; there's only one part which basically consists of fast trills, which took me about 5-10 minutes to get down consistently. Score increase of 7K.
    A massive The End of the Line run gives me 666K ( ) and +37K from my old high.
    Also, TDWDTG and RD 5* failure. I've realized that TDWDTG is going to have to be a fluke run, and on what would've been my new high score on RD today, I failed out when trying to tap Devil Solo H (Measure 339)
  • 3/22/09: Famous For Nothing FC! Even though I've always kind of been good at alt-strumming, I used to have so much trouble with weird numbers of strums, this song is full of them, and it's fast. If the timing window wasn't huge, I would've choked at the end; I could see the notes barely hitting the target. This 47K increase moved me up to #17 on all platforms and top 15 for the 360 for DLC!
  • 3/22/09: A 22K increase on Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya vaulted me into the #18 spot on all platforms and #16 for the 360 for DLC! Almost all of these extra points came in Hard Rain, the really fast strumming. Palm strumming FTW.
  • 3/21/09: So Payaso, Shoot The Runner, and This is a Call FC's! None of these are difficult, I just hadn't gotten around to trying to FC them. Here's a breakdown of the score increases today:
    This is a Call: 22K
    So Payaso: 5K
    Excuse Me Mr.: 17K
    Shoot The Runner: 12K
    For a grand total of 54K. After about 175K of score increases, however, I still have not managed to move up to 18th place . But I still have a ton of easy points left.

Table of Contents:

1. Recent Accomplishments (The last 5, so this section doesn’t overflow)

2. Guitar Hero II - Thoughts and Observations

3. Guitar Hero III

4. Guitar Hero: World Tour – Thoughts and Observations

5. My "Best" Accomplishments

6. Quick Facts About Me

7. Special Thanks

8. Question(s) to My Readers

Guitar Hero II – Thoughts and Observations
  • My Guitar Hero II Experience: Unlike many people here, Guitar Hero II was not my first GH game. In fact, it was about a year after I first played Guitar Hero (GHIII) that I had the chance to take a shot at it. When I got it, I never really played that much. I played through the whole setlist once, and several songs a few more times, but that’s about it. It never really struck me as a great game, and I almost never play it anymore; I’ll explain more further down the list.
  • Setlist: The setlist is pretty good, but not great or terrible. There aren’t very many songs that I hate at all, but conversely, there are few songs that I absolutely love. I’m pretty indifferent on most of the songs. Overall, again, it’s a good setlist, but I could definitely see and feel myself getting quite bored of some songs after just a few runs.
  • Gameplay: This is probably the reason why I’m not as partial to GH2 as I could be. It might partly be the graphics, but it just feels wrong when I hit notes sometimes, especially Ho/po’s. It’s not the timing window that bugs me at all, Rock Band 2 is tied for my favorite game, but something about the way everything works isn’t quite right. It doesn’t look right and playing songs is pretty awkward, relatively; I’m not sure how else to explain it.
  • Miscellaneous: Another part of the reason why I don’t play GH2 as much is because shortly after I acquired it, I bought RB2, which, in my opinion, is a much better game.
    I have passed Jordan only twice in about a dozen tries. The only other song I’ve failed is Arterial Black, which was my third song I ever played on that engine, or something like that.
    This game brought about my first Expert Guitar sightread FC: Heart-Shaped Box.
    I still have some trouble distinguishing between ho/pos and non-ho/pos; if I’m really bad, Freebird’s slow intro is fairly challenging for me.

Guitar Hero III

My Scores

Goals:
  • [ / ] Learn to whammy – I suck at whammying. The reason why just about all of my FC scores are in the hundreds rank wise is not because I don’t use a path or I suck at squeezing (see my Generation Rock score), but because I can’t get all of the whammy out of a sustain, even though I try strumming earlier (I know there’s no early whammy, but it decreases the chance that I lose some at the beginning) and I strum and whammy simultaneously. Giving this one half-completion, because I've seemed to figure out a little trick that helps. It turns out strumming early does benefit my whammying a bit, and I've actually hit some squeezes on the 100% path before (that's something new to me )
  • [ ] Top 15 on DLC on all platforms – This will certainly take a while, but the sub-goals below will definitely help quite a bit.
    1. [ ] Redux every song with a path – Hundreds of thousands of points waiting right here...
    2. [ X ] 5* Revolution Deathsquad – WOOOO. I was much closer than I thought I was; just about every section could've used a little work, and that 's what I ended up doing for a massive score increase.
    3. [ ] 5* The Devil Went Down to Georgia – I'm actually pretty close to this one, but I'm really far away at the same time. Being less than 20K away when the cutoff is almost 500K is close mathmatically, but I feel that I have to have a fluke day to get it; there are so many things in this song that are just a little too fast or a little too complicated for me when I'm having a normal day, and that's what's holding me back right now. Practice seems to be yielding little results; I think I'm just going to have to get better by playing other songs.

FC Goals

Key:

Green: Missed only once or twice; just need a good run
Blue: Missed a few times; should FC soon
Red: Missed only a couple times on a fluke run; will probably take a while
Purple: Missed several times, but I just need to work on the song a bit or work on a couple sections I can’t hit well/at all. Might be fairly out of reach.
Dark Red: Lots of misses, but theoretically possible because I have a technical FC

Songs:

Pride and Joy
Stricken

Take This Life
Cult of Personality
The Pretender
She Builds Quick Machines
Antisocial
Excuse Me Mr.
Almost Easy
(F)lannigan’s Ball
Stay Clean
Problems (Live at Brixton)
The Unforgiven III

FC List

Since I can’t remember, this is just the order in which the FC breakdown has it.

Green=DLC

1. Closer
2. Metal Heavy Lady
3. When You Were Young
4. Generation Rock
5. Radio Song
6. Sabotage
7. Mississippi Queen
8. My Name Is Jonas
9. Slow Ride
10. Bulls on Parade
11. Story of My Life
12. Reptilia
13. Ruby
14. Lay Down
15. Miss Murder
16. Talk Dirty to Me
17. Sunshine of Your Love
18. Anarchy in the U.K.
19. Can’t Be Saved
20. She Bangs the Drums
21. School’s Out
22. Hit Me With Your Best Shot
23. Prayer of the Refugee
24. Paranoid
25. Paint It Black
26. Even Flow
27. Barracuda
28. Minus Celsius
29. The Metal
30. Avalancha
31. Cities On Flame with Rock & Roll
32. La Grange
33. Kool Thing
34. Helicopter
35. Hier Kommt Alex
36. 3’s & 7’s
37. Mauvais Garcon
38. Cherub Rock
39. The Seeker
40. In the Belly of a Shark
41. Welcome to the Jungle
42. Same Old Song and Dance
43. Suck My Kiss
44. Go That Far
45. In Love
46. My Curse
47. Rock and Roll All Nite
48. I’m In the Band
49. Monsters
50. Down ‘N Dirty
51. Black Sunshine
52. Black Magic Woman
All My Life
This is a Call
Tina
Halo Theme MJOLNIR Mix
So Payaso
Pretty Handsome Awkward
No More Sorrow
Jukebox Hero
Peace of Mind
Don't Speak
Sunday Morning
The Arsonist
Hole in the Earth
Famous For Nothing
Nine Lives
Exo-Politics
Stockholm Syndrome
Super Massive Black Hole
Shoot The Runner
I Predict a Riot
Violet Hill
Yellow
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
I Am Murloc
Top Gun Anthem

Thoughts and Observations
  • My Guitar Hero III Experience: GH3 was the first GH game I ever played, over at my cousin’s house a couple years ago. At first, I was kind of reluctant, but became addicted fairly quickly. Moving my way up through the Easy songs and into the treacherous realm that is Medium, there’s some nostalgia that I have for GH3 that I don’t with any other game. Besides RB1 for the Wii, which sucked, it was the only guitar-like game I played for almost a year.
  • Setlist: This setlist is very good; about as good as GH2’s, in my opinion. There’s a very diverse range, and, unless they’re just way too easy, which happens eventually, the songs are very fun to play.
  • Gameplay: I love the way GH3 feels when I’m playing a song. I know the timing window is ridiculously large compared to other games, but when I’m exploiting it, purposefully or not, it doesn’t feel sloppy, even if I’m off time. It’s more like controlled sloppiness, and everything feels very smooth when I play it. Maybe it’s because I became very used to it after the many months of only GH3. It feels more like I’m playing a song rather than awkwardly making my way through it.
  • Miscellaneous: Obviously, I moved up to Medium, Hard, and Expert on this game. The learning curve for me was actually pretty smooth; there weren’t any major roadblocks that I had a lot of trouble with, like chords, ho/pos, or the orange button.
    Out of the three GH games I have, this is the only one I’m a Guitar God on. I haven’t put in the work on the other games.
    Even though I play RB2 a ton, this is the only game that I’m actually competitive in, FC-wise and score-wise.

Guitar Hero: World Tour- Thoughts and Observations
  • My Guitar Hero: World Tour Experience: World Tour was the second GH game I ever played. If I recall correctly, I had just passed TTFAF on Expert when I got my copy. I’m not much of an avid drummer, and vocals are lol, so I only got the game and guitar instead of the whole set. After my awesome experience with GH3, I expected it to be awesome, and, well, it didn’t turn out that way at all. I rarely played it and never do anymore; RB2 is better in just about every way, in my opinion (I’m not a big fan of the music maker).
  • Setlist: Wow. What a letdown. Sure, every game has some fun songs, boring songs, and a bunch of songs people are kind of indifferent to, but WT has too many boring, easy songs, and few fun, hard ones, especially with the gameplay, which I’ll talk about soon. I’ll give them some credit; they did a pretty good job of picking songs people would know to make it more like a party-based game, but from a single, more competitive standpoint, it sucks. If I didn’t almost fall asleep from boredom, I probably would’ve sightread FC’d 20+ songs. There are also way too many songs that they took from RB2.
  • Gameplay: Big step down from GH3 as well. Sure, the timing window is a little smaller, and that’s fine, but it’s in a way that makes everything feel so sloppy, especially when I don’t hit notes exactly on time. I think the timing window is way too large for the difficulty of the charts. The interface is terrible too; it’s more difficult to spot crucial pieces of information, and some of them aren’t even there anymore. The open bass notes and the extended sustains are more realistic, and I don’t think they’re too bad, but I really am not partial to the purple slider notes.
  • Miscellaneous: Especially since I have RB2 and all of my online friends do, I wouldn’t be surprised if I played this only a couple times a year.
    My first sightread FC came here; Beat It on Expert Bass.
    I never really had too much trouble with the open bass notes; I can get 98% on both lead and bass on B.Y.O.B.
    Even though I have a RB2 drum kit and have played drums quite a bit, I’ve never played them on WT.

My "Best" Accomplishments

The following are lists of my best accomplishments across all GH games. I’m going to be judging them on how hard it felt to me, rather than a breakdown or something.

Top 5 FC’s
  1. Famous For Nothing: This song is stupidly tricky; it's fast and has no real strumming pattern.
  2. Down N’ Dirty: Up until a day or so before I FC’d this, I could not comprehend the solos, and I was terrible at the main riff. I made a ton of progress within a short amount of time, and it took way too many chokes, too.
  3. My Curse: Being consistent for such a long time has never been a real strong point of mine, plus the fact that I started shaking little more than halfway through the song . I don’t know how I didn’t choke on that last, super-repetitive part.
  4. Heart-Shaped Box: My first (and only) Expert guitar sightread FC. This is here only because I am terrible at sightreads.
  5. I’m In The Band: I remember when I used to play this song on Hard because Expert was way too difficult for me; those quick triplet strums were beastly back then . Not a very epic #50, but I’ll take it.

Top 5 FC Scores
  1. Exo-Politics 263,698: Optimal. Wheeeeeeee..........
  2. Messages 236,256: Top 10 on both SH and XBL. I’m surprised I did so well on a song with so much whammy.
  3. Yellow 405,122: 5th on SH, which is my highest non-first place rank. None of the squeezes were mind-blowingly incredible, but every one was really good. But still not good enough to hit 100%, apparently .
  4. Don’t Speak 421,306: Every front end activation looked almost exactly like the ones in this video. I’m not kidding. I only missed two notes off of the 100% squeeze path (actually, both were on the last activation), which is pretty good, considering how much whammy there is.
  5. Generation Rock 280,866: People tell me that the 85% squeezes on the third and fourth activations are hard, but I don’t know . I stupidly missed the fourth activation double-squeeze, and failed at reverse tick squeezing. Still, not a bad rank, I guess.

Top 5 Non-FC Runs
  1. Through The Fire And Flames 658,625: I literally cannot think of more than 5 places that I’ve ever hit before but not in that run. Beat my old high score by 35K.
  2. Operation Ground and Pound 615,730: After not playing this song in quite a long while, I increase my score by about 70K on the first run.
  3. Revolution Deathsquad 566,033: Did a little better just about everywhere for a massive score increase and one of my greatest 5*s.
  4. Heroes of our Time 450,568: This was really the only run where I put everything together. Most of the song consists of sections that are pretty difficult, I can hit them, but I'm not completely consistent on them. Really solid run; nice 5*.
  5. The Devil Went Down To Georgia 473,019: After this score, and then practicing sections later that day, I can conclude that the 5* of this song will almost guaranteed to be a fluke. Tons of sections are just a little too fast or a little too complex for me to get down; on this run, my fingers were flying.

Quick Facts About Me
  • I am a tilt-activator. I never learned how to press select/back without screwing up really badly. But I think it’s worked pretty well for me.
  • I am left-handed, but I play GH right handed (fret with left hand, strum with right hand). When I finally realized there was a difference, I was already way too good to switch (I had 5*’d the whole setlist except Raining Blood on Expert).
  • My username is some crazy acronym that I came up with a very long time ago. Don’t even ask .
  • I cannot remember how I found Scorehero, at all. Even if I was given hints, nothing would ring a bell. I could’ve sworn Google has nothing to do with it...
  • I am the only person I know of whose first Expert FC was Miss Murder. I believe I saw my sister play it on Medium. It looked incredibly easy, so I tried it.
  • Tennis FTW.

Special Thanks

• zsjostrom35, for his Guide to Writing Guides and for letting me steal his Accomplishments Thread format.
  • TheThirdDay, for hopefully helping you out with my crazy username:
    TheThirdDay wrote:
    I'm starting to get it down actually, just thinking of how it's pronounced (To me, at least): Nuh-fusk-mah-jih-mal-too

Question(s) For My Readers

Nothing ATM.

Last edited by NfskMjmMal2 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:47 pm; edited 13 times in total
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lookin thread you got here, matt!

looking forward to your future accomplishments, unfortunately I haven't played much gh3 dlc, but you must've done fairly well on the boss battles to get 19th, I'd imagine.

unfortunately i don't have an explorer, so I don't know what it's like... but the WT guitar is compatible, right? if you somehow find a way to solder new strum switches in, I'd say that's the guitar to go for... otherwise I'd go with the LP.

oh, and first post, yay!
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had no idea you had so many FC's. You're apparently another dude who's GH3 FC count blows mine out of the water.

And what you said about the "feel" of GH2 being "wrong", I actually think I completely understand, as I feel the same way about GH3 (GH2 being my first game/personal favorite.). It's just...I don't know...not right. I couldn't explain it worth anything either, but I think I understand.

As for getting a new guitar, if you want a guitar with a good whammy bar, then don't go for the X-Plorer. Personally, it's my favorite guitar, but I'll admit the whammy bar is atrocious; I've switched to pretty much exclusively playing the Worltar because I can't get any decent scores with the XP's whammy bar (With that being said, I'd highly recommend the Worltar, it's an excellent guitar.). Other than that, the XP, in my opinion, is perfect in every way. The select button modded with a bottle cap is my personal favorite SP activation method.

And sorry, but I just have to ask: What the hell does your name mean?!

EDIT: Oh, and you should be ashamed of yourself for stealing zsj's format!
zsjostrom35 wrote:
NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Edit: Do you mind if I steal your format?

Absolutely
; go right ahead.
He said he absolutely minded; he quite clearly didn't want you to use it!
GlassDragon  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xplorerrr FTW! It's still possible to whammy well with an Xplorer, you just need to learn how to use it and get used to it. By now i'm decent at Xplorer whammying, soo yeah. I used to not be a select activator (just like you) but with a modified Xplorer select button it became easy enough for me to learn, now I can precision activate.

And how can you not like GH2? Lol some things I just don't understand. I also didn't start on GH2 but I like it a lot more than GH3 anyways.

Your TTFAF score is sick btw.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I third the WorldTar if you have the equipment to fix the strum bar switches. I have had literally no problems with it since I did that, although I have to say I've never really tried to tilt with it in GH3. I LOVE the strum bar; the little knob on the end of it was a brilliant innovation, especially for a nub like me whose thumb is always sliding off the normal strum bars. The frets aren't quite as smooth as an LP's (at least on the Wii they're not, although the Wii LP's frets were also a little stiffer than the 360's), but I don't think it takes much getting used to. Overall, if the select button wasn't so stiff I probably would never use anything else. That shouldn't be a problem for you .

Also, nice job on this! I really like that you tweaked my formatting some to make it more what you wanted rather than just blindly following mine. I did read through all of it (as I know you've done with mine ), and I have to say I really enjoyed your style of writing. Go accomplish some more stuff so we have more to read!

By the way:

TheThirdDay wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and you should be ashamed of yourself for stealing zsj's format!
zsjostrom35 wrote:
NfskMjmMal2 wrote:

Absolutely
; go right ahead.

I absolutely hate it when people phrase questions that way; there is no way to respond that can't be misunderstood . I know it's not technically correct, but I went with the affirmative just because it sounds better, and I clarified further to make sure that he'd get the right message. The thread exists, so I guess I did my job, right?
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
nice lookin thread you got here, matt!

Thanks! But I have to give all of the credit to Zach; I'm terrible at being creative like this; I don't know what my thread would've looked like if he hadn't spend hours on his.

alexhaz64 wrote:
looking forward to your future accomplishments, unfortunately I haven't played much gh3 dlc, but you must've done fairly well on the boss battles to get 19th, I'd imagine.

Actually, the reason I'm ranked so high isn't because I'm amazing good at songs. It's just the fact that I have so many. There are very few people with as much DLC as I do; I have every song except Dream On. Hence, there are very few people with as many scores in that category, which gives me the edge. That's pretty much the only reason why I want to get as high of a rank as possible; I've already got a good start by being a DLC-whore .

alexhaz64 wrote:
but the WT guitar is compatible, right? if you somehow find a way to solder new strum switches in, I'd say that's the guitar to go for... otherwise I'd go with the LP.

TheThirdDay wrote:
I've switched to pretty much exclusively playing the Worltar because I can't get any decent scores with the XP's whammy bar (With that being said, I'd highly recommend the Worltar, it's an excellent guitar.).

zsjostrom35 wrote:
I third the WorldTar if you have the equipment to fix the strum bar switches. I have had literally no problems with it since I did that, although I have to say I've never really tried to tilt with it in GH3. I LOVE the strum bar; the little knob on the end of it was a brilliant innovation, especially for a nub like me whose thumb is always sliding off the normal strum bars. The frets aren't quite as smooth as an LP's (at least on the Wii they're not, although the Wii LP's frets were also a little stiffer than the 360's), but I don't think it takes much getting used to. Overall, if the select button wasn't so stiff I probably would never use anything else. That shouldn't be a problem for you .

I actually have a WorldTar, and it is compatible, but mine is horrible. The frets are sticky, so I have to put a lot of force on them, and the strum bar is horrible; it's worse than the LP's to start offf with, and it already broke after less than a month. I can fix it, but the sticky frets kill my scores. On one song, I went from 380K to 250K just from going from my LP to my WorldTar .

TheThirdDay wrote:
Wow, I had no idea you had so many FC's. You're apparently another dude who's GH3 FC count blows mine out of the water.

But see, the thing is, I only play GH3 competitively. If I spent as much time on GH2 as you do, I might not have even 5*'d TTFAF . I've played through the GH2 setlist once, some songs a couple more times, but that's it.

BTW, even with all of the time I spend playing GH3, I do not even have a technical FC of Impulse or NFMH, and I'm about 35K away from the 5* cutoff on Revolution Deathsquad .

TheThirdDay wrote:
And what you said about the "feel" of GH2 being "wrong", I actually think I completely understand, as I feel the same way about GH3 (GH2 being my first game/personal favorite.). It's just...I don't know...not right. I couldn't explain it worth anything either, but I think I understand.

GlassDragon wrote:
And how can you not like GH2? Lol some things I just don't understand. I also didn't start on GH2 but I like it a lot more than GH3 anyways.

For me, when I'm playing GH2, especially ho/po sections, it feels like I have to awkwardly force my fingers to move correctly. Surprisingly, this does not happen at all on RB2, which has the same engine. Like I mentioned in my Thoughts, it might just be graphics. When I'm playing GH3, I know I can be sloppier, but the charts are hard enough that I still have to be pretty controlled to hit faster passages. My fingers have to move faster, and it feels smoother and more fluid. I guess when I have to slow down to play slower GH2 ho/pos secctions, I'm moving too fast, being used to GH2, so I have to slow down just a little, which is awkward. I know this is probably true, because faster sections like Freebird's Solo C and End Wankery are easy for me . (The most pathetic thing is that I'm as consistent on those sections as I am on the slow intro )

TheThirdDay wrote:
As for getting a new guitar, if you want a guitar with a good whammy bar, then don't go for the X-Plorer. Personally, it's my favorite guitar, but I'll admit the whammy bar is atrocious; Other than that, the XP, in my opinion, is perfect in every way.

GlassDragon wrote:
Xplorerrr FTW! It's still possible to whammy well with an Xplorer, you just need to learn how to use it and get used to it. By now i'm decent at Xplorer whammying, soo yeah. I used to not be a select activator (just like you) but with a modified Xplorer select button it became easy enough for me to learn, now I can precision activate.

Thanks for the info. But unfortunately, I can't afford to sacrifice my already terrible whammying skills, even if I can build it back up; I think I'll just buy another LP if mine breaks beyond repair.

TheThirdDay wrote:
And sorry, but I just have to ask: What the hell does your name mean?!

¯\(°_o)/¯ I came up with it so long ago I can't remember any more. I remember

NfskMjmMal2

But as for what in the world I was thinking at the time, ¯\(°_o)/¯. I wish I knew too .

TheThirdDay wrote:
Oh, and you should be ashamed of yourself for stealing zsj's format!
zsjostrom35 wrote:
NfskMjmMal2 wrote:

Absolutely
; go right ahead.

Well, he meant absolutely in the sense of...ummm...well then...let's see here....here's what I have to say about that!

GlassDragon wrote:
Your TTFAF score is sick btw.

Thanks! But I have to admit, I've been very lucky with the strumming sections. Right when I was at the level where I could start passing, the right strumming speed for those strumming sections was as fast as I could strum comfortably. Obviously, it worked almost perfectly, and it's kind of been ingrained in my arm ever since. I guess the strumming speed in TTFAF is my "Optimal" strumming speed. If I come out of the intro with less than 110K, the run is trash.

Now if I could only get as lucky with school; some of my teachers are absolutely terrible .

Also, I forgot to specify this in the OP: My "Question to My Readers" isn't a periodic thing; it's just advice help whenever I need it. You guys might want to consider adding something like that in your threads; it's obviously a very time-efficient way of getting the help you need without having to post tons of new threads or spend mindless time searching.

Since it's just a question(s) about anything, I could have new questions anytime, so it'll be updated regularly and randomly. Not that I'm saying you should pay attention or anything .

Edit:
zsjostrom35 wrote:
Also, nice job on this! I really like that you tweaked my formatting some to make it more what you wanted rather than just blindly following mine. I did read through all of it (as I know you've done with mine ), and I have to say I really enjoyed your style of writing.

I can accept those lavish praises, or I can just be honest and say that the reason mine is so different from yours is because you spent about three times as long on it than I did .

If I had spend that long on it, I would have said, not wrote:
What's the code inside of that 'a href' that I was supposed to link this 'a name' to? BAWWWWWWWWWWW *endless searching*

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Go accomplish some more stuff so we have more to read! :tooth

Now that my LP is fixed, I certainly wouldn't mind taking that order .

zsjostrom35 wrote:
I absolutely hate it when people phrase questions that way; there is no way to respond that can't be misunderstood . I know it's not technically correct, but I went with the affirmative just because it sounds better, and I clarified further to make sure that he'd get the right message. The thread exists, so I guess I did my job, right?

No, I don't mind?

And even if you had minded, this thread probably would've still existed, it just wouldn't resemble anything remotely similar to a 'thread' .
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
¯\(°_o)/¯ I came up with it so long ago I can't remember any more. I remember

NfskMjmMal2

But as for what in the world I was thinking at the time, ¯\(°_o)/¯. I wish I knew too .

Then how the hell do you remember it? I've been trying to get it down for a while now, but I just can't friggin' get it. I've never once typed your name, I've copy-pasted every time.

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Well, he meant absolutely in the sense of...ummm...well then...let's see here....here's what I have to say about that!

Touche.

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
If I come out of the intro [of TtFaF] with less than 110K, the run is trash.

I really don't like you. A good run for me would be barely 90k. I average 75-80k. I could probably break 650k if I could do the intro better, but alas...I just can't. I over-strum in the intro like no tomorrow, and yet I can strum much more complicated patterns in that song, like the doublet strums and such, with relative consistency. And Tips on Post Insanity?

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Now if I could only get as lucky with school; some of my teachers are absolutely terrible .

I hear ya there. Don't even get me started on school...

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Also, I forgot to specify this in the OP: My "Question to My Readers" isn't a periodic thing; it's just advice help whenever I need it. You guys might want to consider adding something like that in your threads; it's obviously a very time-efficient way of getting the help you need without having to post tons of new threads or spend mindless time searching.

I actually had something like that in my thread's OP a while back, like, "A Note From T3D" or something of the like, but I never updated it, so I scrapped it. I might add it back if I ever need more advice on stuff and junk.

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Since it's just a question(s) about anything, I could have new questions anytime, so it'll be updated regularly and randomly. Not that I'm saying you should pay attention or anything .

Us? Pay attention? Pleeeeaaaassssseeee.

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
zsjostrom35 wrote:
I absolutely hate it when people phrase questions that way; there is no way to respond that can't be misunderstood .
No, I don't mind?

BURN!

In my thread, NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
But, if I "blow your FC count away", then there are still some songs that could spark an interest. If you can FC NFMH, I don't have doubts that I will be the one that's blown away very quickly.

Ha. You act like I haven't tried time and time again to get every FC you have, and failed. Miserably. Every time. I'll probably Re-FC NFMH (Which I am trying to do since I didn't use a path the first time.) before I get CoFwRaR, WttJ, IitB, or the infamous SBtD.
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Call, Shoot the Runner, and So Payaso FCs! Actually, they're all pretty easy, but I just got around to them yesterday . Also, 17K increase on Excuse Me Mr. for a 54K increase yesterday.

TheThirdDay wrote:
Then how the hell do you remember it? I've been trying to get it down for a while now, but I just can't friggin' get it. I've never once typed your name, I've copy-pasted every time.

Didn't you try to make up something when you were guessing? Like "Nine French School Kids....", or was that Alex?

TheThirdDay wrote:
I really don't like you. A good run for me would be barely 90k. I average 75-80k. I could probably break 650k if I could do the intro better, but alas...I just can't. I over-strum in the intro like no tomorrow, and yet I can strum much more complicated patterns in that song, like the doublet strums and such, with relative consistency. And Tips on Post Insanity?

Every strumming section of TtFaF that contains ho/pos is a lot slower than you think. If you play them by ear, or try to strum every time a note crosses the target, you're going to strum too fast. I was watching Zach's stream, and when he was playing TtFaF (and overstrumming a lot ) I could hear that he was strumming a whole NPS faster than I do. SLOW DOWN. It feels like you're almost going too slow when you strum that speed, but it's the right speed.

This video is awesome. Loud strumming, and from what I can tell, he strums just about exactly the same speed I do. Even to me, that speed sounds wrong, but it's not .

TheThirdDay wrote:
I actually had something like that in my thread's OP a while back, like, "A Note From T3D" or something of the like, but I never updated it, so I scrapped it. I might add it back if I ever need more advice on stuff and junk.

Couldn't you ask for special advice on SBtD, WttJ, IitB, or CoFwRaR?

TheThirdDay wrote:
Us? Pay attention? Pleeeeaaaassssseeee.

I knew you guys would because you would be the only people that would post here . Although, I thought I'd get at least one comment on my formatting .

TheThirdDay wrote:
Ha. You act like I haven't tried time and time again to get every FC you have, and failed. Miserably. Every time. I'll probably Re-FC NFMH (Which I am trying to do since I didn't use a path the first time.) before I get CoFwRaR, WttJ, IitB, or the infamous SBtD.

I know SBtD was hard for Zach, but you too? When I have trouble with chordy sections like that (and like Master Exploder's main riff) I just try a different variations of first and second position; it really helps for chords that are "right next to each other" ()
ace5993  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
TennisFTW

<3 Tennis.

Good job on video game progress and stuff. =P
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace5993 wrote:
<3 Tennis.

Of course. I'm really lucky that I belong to a club that has indoor courts; I love being able to and have to play year-round.

Edit: I think I just figured out why you have "ace" in your name . Is it possible that your birthday is May 9th, 1993?

acce5993 wrote:
Good job on video game progress and stuff. =P

Thanks. Progress is slowing down a little due to less songs I have to work on, but the major upside is that it appears taking breaks helps a ton. I increased my BiF and TDWDTG scores by about 35K each, both of which I haven't played in a while. That's a good sign; I now know that if I'm having trouble with something, I might consider taking a break to unlearn the bad habit rather than practicing it a ton to try to form a good habit.
ace5993  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Is it possible that your birthday is May 9th, 1993?

Factor in the fact that I'm not originally from the U.S. and you've got it.
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new FC's so far, but a 38K increase on TDWDTG brings me within about 19K of 5*ing it, so that's what I'm going to be going for.

ace5993 wrote:
Factor in the fact that I'm not originally from the U.S. and you've got it.

I'm assuming you're from England or thereabouts? If so, I'm guessing you've been to Wimbledon or other large tournaments? If so, I'm sooo jealous .

Edit: #18 on all platforms! See OP for more details.
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Didn't you try to make up something when you were guessing? Like "Nine French School Kids....", or was that Alex?

Uh, no. Lol That definitely wasn't me.

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
This video [of the TtFaF intro] is awesome. Loud strumming, and from what I can tell, he strums just about exactly the same speed I do. Even to me, that speed sounds wrong, but it's not .

*sigh* That sounds like the exact speed I strum. I don't know, I just suck I guess, lol. It seems I do best strumming too slow and letting the HOPOs pick up the slack.

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Couldn't you ask for special advice on SBtD, WttJ, IitB, or CoFwRaR?

No advice could ever help me with those songs.

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
I know SBtD was hard for Zach, but you too?

For a while both of us were bashing our skulls in trying to FC this, and neither one of us could get it. Then he had to be a loser and pull it off, but I never did.

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
No new FC's so far, but a 38K increase on TDWDTG brings me within about 19K of 5*ing it, so that's what I'm going to be going for.

On an amazing run of that song, I pulled out 450k, so I congratulate you on that score. It's incredible. I'm no where close to that 5*.

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Edit: #18 on all platforms! See OP for more details.

Nice job, but there's a discrepancy between this and the OP. The OP said you're #17.

Now, checking your scores, I see you're actually 17, so yay.

Also, how did you manage to FC FFN?I'm pretty good at the song, I guess, but I've never come anywhere close to an FC. The changes in the chorus between four and five strums in the little burst seem somewhat random to me, I couldn't imagine next over-strumming one in the whole song...
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo Theme MJOLNIR Mix FC. Weee...another one out of the way that was wayyyy too overdue.

TheThirdDay wrote:
Uh, no. Lol That definitely wasn't me.

Well, you could try making up something weird to help you remember it . I'm actually pretty interersted to see what kind of crazy thing you can come up with .

TheThirdDay wrote:
*sigh* That sounds like the exact speed I strum. I don't know, I just suck I guess, lol. It seems I do best strumming too slow and letting the HOPOs pick up the slack.

Don't strum so slow that you accidentally use some of the ho/pos; starting fret changes on different strums can really screw you up badly. I always start each new fret change on a downstrum. If the speed isn't the problem, then it's probably because you're changing frets either too early or too late; try experimenting with both of them.

TheThirdDay wrote:
No advice could ever help me with those songs.

As a last resort, I've found that taking a break for a while really helps me sometimes; see my OGAP score in the "Best NonFC runs" section. Don't grind them out, but try for it, take a break for a while (several days) and repeat. Maybe part of the problem is that you're so frustrated over the songs, instead of entirely the song itself.

TheThirdDay wrote:
On an amazing run of that song, I pulled out 450k, so I congratulate you on that score. It's incredible. I'm no where close to that 5*.

Thanks! But I can certainly relate. I think I'm more of an "up and down" player than most people. For most people, when they have "off days" they play a bit worse than they normally do, and when they're having a good day, they play a bit better than they normally do. When I'm having an off day, I play absolutely horribly, and when I'm having a good day, I play insanely well. So many things in that song are just a little too fast for me, and it'll take a really good day to hit them, which is what I need.

It once took me an hour of straight playing to FC up to the sweeps in TTFAF's intro .

TheThirdDay wrote:
Nice job, but there's a discrepancy between this and the OP. The OP said you're #17.

Now, checking your scores, I see you're actually 17, so yay.

I had actually moved up to rank 18, updated the thread, moved up to 17 later that day, and forgot to update it .

TheThirdDay wrote:
Also, how did you manage to FC FFN?I'm pretty good at the song, I guess, but I've never come anywhere close to an FC. The changes in the chorus between four and five strums in the little burst seem somewhat random to me, I couldn't imagine next over-strumming one in the whole song...

It was really difficult for me; I just got really lucky and pulled it all together in one run. Everything with an odd number is easy, which pretty much eliminates half the song. On the ones with an even number, I had to apply myself to not strum that last time like my instinct told me to. I still sometimes have trouble with even numbers, and I can remember when I was terrible at them, so I guess I got better at them by doing it a lot.

Aside from that, which makes up almost the whole song, the intro is pretty tricky too; definitely is harder than it looks. Here's the chart. In the intro, every note that is less than half a beat ahead of the previous note is a ho/po, and every note that is repeating (duh) and a half beat or more ahead of the previous note is not. There's a ho/po in Measure 3, and four in Measure 4. There are an even number of ho/pos in those "groups", so I use the ho/pos there. The next ho/po is in Measure 6, but as you can see, all of those "groups" are in odd numbers. I strum every note there, and since it's an odd number, it's obviously easier.
GlassDragon  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I don't have access to DLC but I know that an FC of Famous for Nothing is nasty. Still though i'm not quite sure how good you are exactly because you keep on playing charts i'm not really familiar with .
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: