ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Most important scientific work ever written?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Most important scientific work ever written? Reply with quote

What do you think the most important scientific work is?

I think it is probably Principia by Newton. That was his main work, which gave his laws of motion (even though they weren't all his...) and his theory of gravity. It was revolutionary for its time, and got Newton a bunch of honors (first person knighted for scientific reasons, monument in Westminister Abbey, etc).

Other possible works I've heard people mention are On the Origin of Species by Darwin, some stuff by Galileo, Einstein, Copernicious, Mendel, and a few others. What do you think?

(I realize "most important" is pretty ambiguous. The criteria I'm using are: changing what people think, increasing our scientific pool of knowledge and affecting humanity in general.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being someone who prefers physics I know where you're coming from with Newton's work on the laws of motion. Without this we would of had a lesser understanding of gravity. Newton really was lightyears ahead of his time (yes I know lightyears isn't a measurement of time ). But also don't forget that he helped to map out our solar system using his understanding of gravity and the way huge objects pull smaller objects towards them. His second law also lay the the groundwork for the relationship between force, mass and acceleration. Yey for Newton.

But its hard to say if any scientific work is more important than others, because some discoveries are tremendous because of their importance in the world of science, whilest others are important to the masses, who don't want to understand something exactly, but just use it to make life easier.
1ofakind  

Location: San Jose, CA (More specificly, Scotts Valley but their close enough together.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you already mentioned Newton, Galileo was another man who was ahead of his time when it comes to physics.

I would say more but I'm not one of them smart folk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say On The Origin of Species or On the Revolution of Heavenly Bodies.

I assume you're not including social science in this particular topic, which prevents me from naming works like Atlas Shrugged or Thus Spake Zarathustra.
Psalm 104:14 : He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man
GH3 Goals: Enlightened Guitarist [ ] 13
FG5*: TTFAF, TWIE
geome  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does L'hopital's book on calculus count? We couldn't have discovered too much about the universe without calculus.

Euclid's "The Elements" is probably the most important, though. The foundation of many maths as we know them.
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geome wrote:
Does L'hopital's book on calculus count? We couldn't have discovered too much about the universe without calculus.
I decided not to include that, because several people discovered it independently. I agree that calculus would be towards the top of this list, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkjt510 wrote:
I would have to say On The Origin of Species or On the Revolution of Heavenly Bodies.

I assume you're not including social science in this particular topic, which prevents me from naming works like Atlas Shrugged or Thus Spake Zarathustra.

I probably would have said On The Origin of Species, too.

And I had a similar question about the Humanities (since you mentioned a little philosophy/literature). If philosophy would be included, Descartes and Aristotle would also have to be included in the debate (even though they were also scientists/mathematicians and may qualify outside of philosophy). It's hard, though, since most of their work was divided up into short treatises. Today, large portions of their work are grouped together like Descartes' Discourse on the Method and Principles of Philosophy / Meditations on First Philosophy or Aristotle's works on Ethics, so a claim could be made for one of those collections to be among the most important works of scientific thought.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

Subrick  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. Without this, science today would be radically different.

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick
http://subrick.blip.tv
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Subrick/107321395984265?ref=ts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: None yet PSN Name: None yet
nbh2992  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to toss in my vote for On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.

If not for impact, for controversy. No one even comes close to questioning Newton or Galileo's scientific work, but Darwin is still as hotly debated now as he was when his discoveries were first published.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote for the Periodic Table of Elements. Nobody had thought of arranging the atoms in the way they were, and because of this genius idea, scientists could accurately predict the properties of every single compound and element, before they were discovered. It may not be a document, but without it chemistry would have gotten nowhere.

Harmonix games are just too good not to play them for 8 years. Officially back in action.
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm going into the field of Astrophysics, I'll say Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, it connected Special Relativity with Newton's universal gravitation. If not now, when we start exploring space this will be the most important scientific work of all

Edit: Holy shit, the Periodic table IS amazing, the accuracy and how it all fits just PERFECTLY is just amazing. Scratch my vote for above, Periodic Table is the most amazing discovery of all time
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesw wrote:
I would vote for the Periodic Table of Elements. Nobody had thought of arranging the atoms in the way they were, and because of this genius idea, scientists could accurately predict the properties of every single compound and element, before they were discovered. It may not be a document, but without it chemistry would have gotten nowhere.
wow, I didnt even think of that. I agree.

3926 0220 0199 1364
thetubaman  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joekickass1234 wrote:
jamesw wrote:
wow, I didnt even think of that. I agree.
As much as i hate chemistry and would love to say that The Principia is the greatest thing ever written, i have to agree with this. Its pretty amazing that every element can be arranged this way.
stryker  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies, Albert Einstein (1905).

There's a distinct possibility that much of this work will be discarded in the coming decades, but it's the seminal work that enabled huge advanced in theoretical physics in the beginning of the 20th century. A great deal of what we know about the universe was resolved through the framework of Einstein's famous paper.

As an atmospheric scientist, I'm also partial to Edward Lorenz's 1962 thesis, Deterministic Nonperiod Flow.

Alakaiser wrote:
What's your problem with unicorns? They're a majestic, mythical creature! And the colors! The colors are great!
Really, the unicorn avatar is the best thing to ever happen to this forum.
0wnd1zzl3d  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subrick wrote:
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. Without this, science today would be radically different.

Sure, it's important, but it's only one part of science as a whole. What about astronomy, physics, etc?

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: