ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Giving the "cold turkey" method a shot.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVS  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont smoke obviously... alot easier said than done... i wish there was a magic way to just stop... i dont have the willpower

Goals:
5* all songs on expert:
GH2 [] / GH3 [X]
Beat TTFAF on expert: [X]
5* Jordan on expert: [] 4*
5* Guitar Virtuoso Pack: [X]
Delete "I am Murloc" and "Top Gun Theme" from my playlist: [X]
Brennon.110mb.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Consfearacy13
DevilMayAsian  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nearing hour 198 without a smoke. Today was one of the better days, in terms of thinking about smoking. Haven't had the urge to do that all day. Then again, this is during an offday lulz. I have a lunch shift tomorrow, so we'll see how well it works out.

Proud I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Devil May Asian PSN Name: DevilMayAsian
boyler4  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations DMA! I'm glad you had the willpower to go cold turkey!

And here's a tip for people that want to quit smoking, but can't just go cold turkey: There is a brand of cigarettes called Quest. It's kind of like a regular cigarette, except it has less nicotine. There are 3 kinds:

Step 1: I'm pretty sure that this one has about a third of the nicotine of a regular cigarette.

Step 2: This one has about half the nicotine of Step 1.

Step 3: This one has no nicotine.

You start with Step 1 and wait until you think that you can go to Step 2 easily. Then you go to Step 3, which helps you break the nicotine addiction. Then all you need to do is break the habit. Using this, my dad has been smoke free since February, and he doesn't even have mood swings anymore

Good luck with quitting, DMA. And I hope I helped others with this info.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevilMayAsian wrote:
I'm nearing hour 198 without a smoke. Today was one of the better days, in terms of thinking about smoking. Haven't had the urge to do that all day. Then again, this is during an offday lulz. I have a lunch shift tomorrow, so we'll see how well it works out.

If you ever have the urge, instant message a best friend, and they will help you through it.. you obviously dont know me, but you can even Instant Message me, and I can try to help you through. Just PM me for my AIM s/n possibly and we can talk

http://youtube.com/maxtheman11

PM or IM me if you have GH3 or Brawl for Wii.
We can exchange friend codes ;)
I'm ok at both....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 201992663116
anonymous_9  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
jondrody  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend went cold turkey. Not a very close friend, but we hang out fairly often. So one night we were all out together and I was like so how's the whole quitting thing going and he said well it was really easy, now I just smoke weed all the time!
DevilMayAsian  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer MAX, but I think I'm handling it pretty well, me thinks.

I'm on hour 295 without a smoke, and the other day, I've been choking up snot. It's probably the detox in action, so when that's over with, I'm hoping that it'll be a smooth ride from then on.....I'm hoping.

I'm starting a very short schedule this week at my cafe. Those smoke breaks did help me through the day, but those were during 40 hour weeks. This will only be a 14 hour week, so here comes another test. Next week will be the REAL test. =/

jondrody wrote:
My friend went cold turkey. Not a very close friend, but we hang out fairly often. So one night we were all out together and I was like so how's the whole quitting thing going and he said well it was really easy, now I just smoke weed all the time!

...now, part of the reason why I stopped was so I could stop wasteful spending. Thus far, I've saved....12 x $4 = nearly $50! rofl!!! Just did the math for the first time, so that was kinda crazy. Anywho, weed's expensive. Very expensive.....yeah.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Devil May Asian PSN Name: DevilMayAsian
thecolonel  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevilMayAsian wrote:

...now, part of the reason why I stopped was so I could stop wasteful spending. Thus far, I've saved....12 x $4 = nearly $50! rofl!!! Just did the math for the first time, so that was kinda crazy. Anywho, weed's expensive. Very expensive.....yeah.

i spent more money on guitar hero controllers, when GH3 came out, than the amount of money some people spend on smoking

and also you inspired my foster brothers scorehero account name. DevilMayNative
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: the colonel11
eZraLite  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMA, as our first meeting wasn't exactly...pleasant, I think it's mandatory that I come here and say HOLY SHIT MAN, I'M SO EFFING PROUD OF YOU! Smoking is an amazingly wise thing to want to quit, and you're doing a hell of a job! Sorry again about my blowup earlier, and keep on truckin', you've probably set one of the most worthwhile goals I've seen in a while.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep at it DMA. There are 5 of us here that all quit on 7/1 and we're all good with no relapse.

Three of use went cold turkey, another with the patch, and me with 4mg nicorette gum that I'm still chewing like a mofo, but I was close to 2 packs a day when I quit.

The first week was the worst but we're all good now. Suck it up and keep it up!

(wait... bad choice of words :-)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: DiscGolferPro
LordMathias  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got this DMA. Lord knows I haven't the willpower to quit smoking. >_>

You did mention earlier (last week on XBL?) that it was 200 hours. After that long, the rest is easysauce.

If you ever feel the urge to light up, just get on XBL and we can have some hawt Elephant action instead.

Last edited by LordMathias on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: LordMathias1985
billsfan444  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see you're making it a long time without a smoke! Keep it up! good luck
DevilMayAsian  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGP, I take it that the nicorette gum actually works?

With the three different approaches, which do you think allowed for better results, in terms of fighting the cravings? Everytime I think of somebody using the patch, I always think back to the old Simpsons episode where Krusty was using the patch, with him using over a dozen patches at once and licking one in desperation. As for the gum....I've always heard iffy things about them.

FrankieB  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point honestly man, you don't want the gum or the patch. If your body has been nicotine free for this long the last thing you want to do is reintroduce it to your system.

Knowing you, you'd take one piece of gum and end up chewing the whole pack all at once, or lining your arms and neck with patches.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FRANK1E B
lucothefish  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie's right. The gum works, but you're already past the point where you need it. My grandmother gave up cold turkey a month ago, after smoking 60 a day for 50 years. So stick with it dude, and good luck
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: