ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
the "Average" Scorehero player
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DYRE  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p41 wrote:
There's a HUGE difference between the average Guitar Hero player's ability and the average ScoreHero'ers ability.

The average Guitar Hero player doesn't even play on expert.

To get the average player here I'd say take all of GH3 players who have beat all songs in game (excluding TTFAF so you can get a larger, more general pool). Average those scores on each song... add them up, there is your career average.

I'd say that we don't limit it to people who beat all the songs in the game. How about we just average all submitted scores for each song?
Also, it probably shouldn't be limited to GH3, since, y'know, there are other games.
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erimgard wrote:
Assuming the GH3 expert overall leaderboard is an accurate (which it isn't) cross section of score hero aptitude, and the fact that there are 20,127 users with submitted scores, then this user is an average score hero'er.

Statistic-wise, this is true for Guitar Hero 3. And by the actual standards, I think that this is pretty accurate too. Generally, I think forum posters overestimate how good the average ScoreHero user is, and here's why: a very small fraction of ScoreHero users (forum users/frequent posters) are taken to be the average players, when the majority of ScoreHero users don't have any posts at all.

Think about it. ScoreHero has over 300,000 registered members, but I'd say there are only about 2,000 people that post a lot on the forums. The average of those posters, I'd imagine, would be much higher; the "10-20 FCs in GH3" standard some people think.

But really, the vast majority of ScoreHero users don't even have scores for every song. And no, that's not just because of Through The Fire And Flames, Jordan, Satch Boogie or songs like that. Most ScoreHero users just aren't at that level of competetiveness.

What's with taking out certain users because their scores are too low or they don't have scores submitted for most songs? They're ScoreHero users too, whether they're up to your standards or not. As long as they're registered here, you need to count them, because they are technically ScoreHero users.

So, statistic-wise and opinion-wise, I'd say Sil3nce is a good representation.
dnaygs  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the scores are stored on a database, the average score for each song could easily be calculated. I don't think randomly guessing how many FCs someone might have is very accurate. Also you have to take into account people that don't play on expert.
Dynasty99  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MicoTX wrote:

no, that user would be the median SH'er. there's a big difference between average and median.

p41 wrote:

To get the average player here I'd say take all of GH3 players who have beat all songs in game (excluding TTFAF so you can get a larger, more general pool). Average those scores on each song... add them up, there is your career average.

perfect!

I doubt the average SH'er has more than 2 or 3 expert FC's. The skill of the posters is MUCH higher than that of SH overall
jonnyg111  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My perception before GH3 came out was : If you can just barely beat Jordan, then you were exactly average. 5*'d, or above 350k, you were pretty good. 400k+, you are a legend. FC : hadn't happened when i first came up with this :P (you guys would be surprised how long I lurked before I joined, I was scared to join until I had passed Jordan )

My perception now : If you got world tour near or on release day, and 5*'d the whole game (maybe without satch boogie) on sightread, then you are above average. If it took you a couple of tries to 5* everything, then you are like me, still above average, but not recognizable.

Another way I perceive it : If you can pass TTFAF, just barely, then you are exactly average. This is the easiest way I can think of figuring it, Balancing out numbers of FC's and rank and scores just doesn't appeal to me... I have NEVER used a SP path in my life, and I'm top 400 GH3 wii I think... I haven't updated that stuff in a long time though. If you base it on score or rank, that's just their ability to look up how to use SP on the internet, not their ability to play. Passing TTFAF, now THAT'S an achievement (literally) that we can go by.

I'm probably wrong in most of your eyes, but this is the way I've always thought about it.

You have died of dysentery. Put in your sig if lemons.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 446831583882
Skysore  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way you can do this for expert is to take all of the carreer scores and average them
700K TDWDTG [x]
Start Playing Again []
My Accomplishment Thread!
Check out my Youtube!
Seraphixla  

Location: Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, TX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skysore wrote:
I think the only way you can do this for expert is to take all of the carreer scores and average them

The problem with that theory is that there are people like this who would of course skew those results.

(And this sucks, I read this thread in hopes that maybe I could be classified as average, but apparently I'm not

I swear I'll get an FC on something soon)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Seraphixla
p41  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYRE wrote:
p41 wrote:
There's a HUGE difference between the average Guitar Hero player's ability and the average ScoreHero'ers ability.

I'd say that we don't limit it to people who beat all the songs in the game. How about we just average all submitted scores for each song?
Also, it probably shouldn't be limited to GH3, since, y'know, there are other games.

Good point, good point. Even better. Now someone just has to do it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYRE wrote:

didn't i already suggest this.

but yes.
i really think this is what needs to be done.
and i can only wish one of the moderators who control the database could see this.

please?

GH2X-4 S9
Season Points Winner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: AngryYetiPirate
g0dly  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i would assume that the average sher would be determined by what songs the average person can pass. if that is the case, you would need some way of determining which users can pass which songs. the hard part about this would be that there are alot of users like me that only input some of their scores even though they can pass all of the songs. i dont see how you could do it with the info on the site.
RBurgandy  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p41 wrote:
DYRE wrote:
p41 wrote:

Good point, good point. Even better. Now someone just has to do it!

so APEthehippy who is ranked 2nd overall on Wii and 6th across all platforms wouldnt even be considered 'average' if you were going to add other games (gh2, gh1, etc.) beings he only has scores submitted for gh3 you can look at his stats here ---->> http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?user=184529&group=4&game=8&diff=4 (sorry i dont know how to add a hyperlink to a specific word on this forum yet...)

however i understand what you are trying to say with this...
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, we could only have "the average [insert game] player". But I don't think that going by rankings is a sure enough method, because not everyone submits scores for every song. I agree that in order to find out how "good" the average player on each game is, the average score on any and every given song would be needed.

I also hadn't come to the realization that the reason why the average skill level seems so high is because the level of the frequent posters is generally much higher than those who don't post. There are probably more people with exactly 0 posts than people with 200 or more. I too think that Sil3nce is a fairly accurate representation of the average, but I guess we'll only find out with the full data, or not find out at all.

RBurgandy wrote:
so APEthehippy who is ranked 2nd overall on Wii and 6th across all platforms wouldnt even be considered 'average' if you were going to add other games (gh2, gh1, etc.) beings he only has scores submitted for gh3 you can look at his stats here ---->> http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?user=184529&group=4&game=8&diff=4 (sorry i dont know how to add a hyperlink to a specific word on this forum yet...)

however i understand what you are trying to say with this...

Code:
[url=www.scorehero.com]Do not click this link![/url]

Do not click this link!
Bearclaw67  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogwai wrote:

1 Closer 70.02%
2 Dream Police 58.04%
3 Metal Heavy Lady 55.61%
4 Hey 53.24%
5 When You Were Young 52.35%
6 Dream On 51.40%
7 Generation Rock 51.26%
8 Radio Song 50.52%
9 Sabotage 50.18%
10 Mississippi Queen 50.02%

What about Rock Band songs? I think an 'average' player would have the ability to FC any tier 1 song on their respective instrument/difficulty. Don't forget vocalists, drummers and bassists.

'Average' is too broad a term to ask for based on the diversity of preferred instruments, games and difficulty. I consider myself an above average member based on my Rock Band scores and most definitely not on any scores submitted for Guitar Hero. If you look at my GH scores they all look pathetic in comparison to my Rock Band scores. Overall, it depends upon far too many factors to be narrowed down to just one average level of ability.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearclaw67 wrote:
Mogwai wrote:

1 Closer 70.02%
2 Dream Police 58.04%
3 Metal Heavy Lady 55.61%
4 Hey 53.24%
5 When You Were Young 52.35%
6 Dream On 51.40%
7 Generation Rock 51.26%
8 Radio Song 50.52%
9 Sabotage 50.18%
10 Mississippi Queen 50.02%

What about Rock Band songs? I think an 'average' player would have the ability to FC any tier 1 song on their respective instrument/difficulty. Don't forget vocalists, drummers and bassists.

'Average' is too broad a term to ask for based on the diversity of preferred instruments, games and difficulty. I consider myself an above average member based on my Rock Band scores and most definitely not on any scores submitted for Guitar Hero. If you look at my GH scores they all look pathetic in comparison to my Rock Band scores. Overall, it depends upon far too many factors to be narrowed down to just one average level of ability.

well you have to remember.
there are more scores in for guitar hero, and there is a global system up.
those people who are ahead of you on guitar hero, are generally going to be ahead of you on rock band as well... if they play it. if they don't they are nazis

but still.
i think there should be an average by SONG. that would be the easiest way to do it. and detirmine where you stand.

GH2X-4 S9
Season Points Winner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: AngryYetiPirate
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING: MATH/STATS AHEAD!

I attempted to come up with a scientific answer to this question, rather than just coming up with an educated guess. I took the population of GH3 Expert scores (20,142 users) and from there extracted a sample of 100 random users by randomly generating numbers from random.org's Integer Generator. In statistics it's not usually necessary to use the entire population's data to find out characteristics of that population - a large enough sample will do. e.g. when they poll people to find out what the President's approval rating is, they don't ask everybody in the country, they only ask about 1000 people. I figured 100 was a large enough sample for this.

The question that arose is what do you do with people that haven't entered all their scores, for one reason or another. I didn't want to assume that they couldn't pass all the songs, so I took a simple projection of what they would have had they entered scores for all 70 songs, by simply calculating the average score they had across what they entered and multiplying it by 70. Naturally, this leads to some wacky projections when you have people that just enter their TTFAF score and leave. In those cases, where the projected score was higher than any real person's actual score (>24 million), I threw those away. There's probably a better way to go about it, but I just used this method for simplicity.

Then the question of FC's arises: do we project the number of FC's someone could get? I say no, because:

1) Someone may FC a number of songs on the first half of the game (difficulty-wise) and it would not seem likely that they could FC the second half of the game at the same rate.
2) My perception is that when someone FC's a song they are more likely to be proud of that score and enter it into SH than to sit on it.
3) Some people entered only a few scores and they were all FC's, so they would project out to 70/70 FC's

Accordingly, I decided that unless you've entered the FC into the database, you don't have it.

Okay, so with that explained, here is what I found:

The mean number of scores entered was 31.07.
The mean total score was 8,069,794.
The mean projected total score was 17,995,613.
Of the 31.07 scores entered, 26.79 were 5-stars (86.2%). This doesn't mean the average user can 5-star 86.2% of the setlist, it means that when the average user enters a score, 86.2% of the time it's a 5-star score.
The mean number of FC's was 7.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms? If you've read all the way down here, thanks.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: