ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Kid gets Xbox confiscated, runs away, found dead O_O
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thurman91 wrote:
yea, living in canada (and Bradford being really close to Barrie, which is where the kid is from), this kind of freaks me out quite a bit that there is a muderer in my area. running away over an argument over a game....yeah, not the greatest thing. but once i heard on the news that they found his body, i couldnt help but feel bad for this family. since they probably are blaming themselves over what happened, i send my deepest condolences for his family and friends.

it's not necessarily murder... the kid ran away for a month was it? he probably got lost in the woods and succumbed to the elements...

but that sucks for the family, i suppose either party could be blamed, but i'd be more inclined to think it was the kid's fault for not listening to his parents... i mean really, if i ran away i would come back pretty quickly... but yeah the parents should not have let it go on for so long
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
PleadtheFifth  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know what to think.

On one side, I think it is partially the parents fault because they took his Xbox away. But on the other hand, if your kid is spending so much time playing video games that his grades slip its the parent's duty to make sure he gets his grades back up BEFORE playing Xbox. And how could the parents have known the kid would run away just because he got his Xbox taken away. Seriously, if he is that obsessed with his Xbox he probably should have gotten some psychological help rather than run away.

Also, I highly doubt that him stealing money is due to the fact of playing COD online, unless for Marketplace items, which then you would need a credit card. Could the money have been for drugs or something of that nature? I guess no one will know.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PleadtheFifth wrote:

On one side, I think it is partially the parents fault because they took his Xbox away. But on the other hand, if your kid is spending so much time playing video games that his grades slip its the parent's duty to make sure he gets his grades back up BEFORE playing Xbox. And how could the parents have known the kid would run away just because he got his Xbox taken away. Seriously, if he is that obsessed with his Xbox he probably should have gotten some psychological help rather than run away.

Also, I highly doubt that him stealing money is due to the fact of playing COD online, unless for Marketplace items, which then you would need a credit card. Could the money have been for drugs or something of that nature? I guess no one will know.

It's not the parent's fault. The kid was the, to put it frankly, idiot. Ay normal child would have reacted differently, ie, not running away because of a game console.

I realize it's a tragedy, but it's no fault but his own, especially if it's over something this insignificant.

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
PleadtheFifth  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0wnd1zzl3d wrote:
PleadtheFifth wrote:

It's not the parent's fault. The kid was the, to put it frankly, idiot. Ay normal child would have reacted differently, ie, not running away because of a game console.

I realize it's a tragedy, but it's no fault but his own, especially if it's over something this insignificant.

Yea you are right, but what I'm saying is that the father, unknowingly, pushed over the dominoes that led to his child's death.

You could argue that the kid playing to much COD started the dominoes, but the dad still chose to take it away, rather than other choices like:

1.Homework/School goes first then play Xbox

or

2.Time limit to Xbox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
Thurman91 wrote:
yea, living in canada (and Bradford being really close to Barrie, which is where the kid is from), this kind of freaks me out quite a bit that there is a muderer in my area. running away over an argument over a game....yeah, not the greatest thing. but once i heard on the news that they found his body, i couldnt help but feel bad for this family. since they probably are blaming themselves over what happened, i send my deepest condolences for his family and friends.

it's not necessarily murder... the kid ran away for a month was it? he probably got lost in the woods and succumbed to the elements...

but that sucks for the family, i suppose either party could be blamed, but i'd be more inclined to think it was the kid's fault for not listening to his parents... i mean really, if i ran away i would come back pretty quickly... but yeah the parents should not have let it go on for so long

yeah alex you pretty much nailed it. he wasn't murdered at all. the news here in Toronto(reasonably close to Barrie) is reporting that he died of exposure and he was found in the woods as well. but it really isn't clear if it was intentional or not. like if he got so pissed and depressed that decided to kill himself or if he just got lost and ran out of time. although i find it really hard to believe that a 15-year old kid could get so lost in his hometown. so i guess im really leaning towards suicide.
- Fear Before The March Of Flames
SynysterGates  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry internet screwed up, double posted
- Fear Before The March Of Flames
Klaww  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were the dad, I would've given some kinda warning. like "Son, listen. Get your grades up in a month, or I'm taking your 'box." not just "Shun! YOU CANNOT HAS!"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it was kind of odd to say it was like cutting his legs off.
PleadtheFifth  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conlan22 wrote:

Yea what was up with that? Thats a wierd way to put it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SynysterGates wrote:
alexhaz64 wrote:
Thurman91 wrote:

yeah alex you pretty much nailed it. he wasn't murdered at all. the news here in Toronto(reasonably close to Barrie) is reporting that he died of exposure and he was found in the woods as well. but it really isn't clear if it was intentional or not. like if he got so pissed and depressed that decided to kill himself or if he just got lost and ran out of time. although i find it really hard to believe that a 15-year old kid could get so lost in his hometown. so i guess im really leaning towards suicide.

a bit of an update, saying murder was jumping the gun just a little bit because thats what i expected happened to this kid, the classic rape-murder story. i apologize if i led some people to believe this.

turns out from the autopsy report that brandon fell unconscious after climbing and falling out of a tree in the woods. then died in the cold weather of the forest and no way to warm himself up since he wasnt conscious.
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conlan22 wrote:

...Sounds like a perfect analogy to me >__>

SirSire  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sort of like a he said, she said problem. First off, the parents should not have let this situation get so out of hand. However, a 14 or 15 year old boy (exact same as me) needs to show more maturity and handle the situation properly. If a gaming console is that important to a person, they need help. All of this being said, all of my condolences go out to the family and friends of this unfortunate young man.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 047386231147
dragonfyre17  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kid must have had some serious issues that went WAY beyond addiction to video games. i don't think that the parents did anything wrong in taking away his xbox, but they should have picked up warning signs earlier that he needed some help. don't get me wrong, i feel bad for his family, and i don't know every aspect of the situation, but i just feel like there was more they could have done.
Once, I failed Surrender on Easy. The next thing I knew, a large flying pig came bursting from Hell, covered in snow screaming,"FINAL SLAUGHTER!!!!" and took out half of my family. I was so pissed, I ate my cat.
psychomonkey62 wrote:
DontFret wrote:
jordan fc before strutter lolwut?
Dude, Strutter is friggin' impossible.
Sinz  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should've put the UAV up sooner.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImaCarrot wrote:
Kingofterrors wrote:
The parents definitely feel like shit...but they didn't do anything wrong.

The kid was an idiot... kids are getting out of control with video games these days. I think kids are getting more stupid as the years go by.

Didn't do anything wrong? Are you serious? Sure they didn't do anything that will likely be prosecutable by law, but the way they handled the situation directly led to the events that happened. It is a parent's responsibility to ensure the safety of their child, by letting him (encouraging him even) to get on that bike and run away, they failed at protecting him.

The father even said so himself, he figured his son would go somewhere to blow off some steam and be back by evening. He didn't realize how angry and prideful his son was. The father should have followed his son to continue making sure he stayed safe, by not doing so, he more or less told the kid that he didn't care about him.

The situation should have been handled better by all parties and it is a shame that it had to end this way. Hopefully their pain and suffering can serve as a lesson to all other parents out there.

And KoT, like it or not, you can consider any form of media (including video games) to be an addictive substance and kids are far more susceptible to addiction than adults are.

I think that's a bit of an overreaction considering the kid may very well have gone to blow some steam and return if he hadn't fallen unconscious. You can't follow your child everywhere. At the age of 15, he's just 3 years away from being completely on his own in college. Coddling him to the point that he isn't able to make his own decisions doesn't work. I'd have to say the parents made the right decision, but as with any time your child leaves home to go to a park, across the street, for a run, etc, there is the small chance you won't see them again alive.

It's unfortunate, but I don't see how it's the parents' fault. You can point fingers in hindsight, but objectively it's a perfectly valid set of actions. Saying their actions directly led to his death seems a bit like post hoc ergo propter hoc to me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: