ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Heroes of our Time - Guide to pass / improve?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaamean  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Heroes of our Time - Guide to pass / improve? Reply with quote

This is the one song left in GH3 I still have not passed: Have a 4 star on OGaP and a way low end 3 star on Deathsquad, but still cannot get anywhere near to the end of this one. Was basically looking for some encouraging words / advice on what to work on. I do fairly decent on slow in practice, but Full Speed is just utter chaos for me. Did anyone else feel this way at one point and eventually 5 star this beast? Seriously: I consider this song much harder than Fire and Flames, as I can pass that every try (Though I'm still about 15k from even a 4 star, at least I'm consistently passing it)

Sorry for the lack of structure in this post, and thanks in advance for any replies.

-C
yaamean  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i guess all the people that have mastered this song are keeping their secrets to their self. Was really just looking for a push to the right direction seeing as how I am HORRIBLE at this song.
JohnnyGrey  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know about where you fail?
It would help to know this.
IMO, TTFAF and RD are harder to pass than this, but everyone's different.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strum moar notez

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the note patterns and speeds can be tricky and deceiving; it's very easy to not notice something or go too fast/slow. Turn up the Hyperspeed one level and take solo sections into practice mode on Slow. You'll have a much better sense of how fast you need to fret and what you're actually playing. Of course, don't worry about the crazy parts, just the normal solo parts. Remember, since this is on the GH3 timing window, you can flail like crazy and fret ghost notes. On the crazy parts, move your fingers absolutely as fast as you can; if you're attempting to pass this song, you're good enough where even if you're almost out of control flailing, you still should be fretting things pretty well.

Also, you might want to take a break from it every once in a while. You don't want to get to the point where you're getting so frustrated that you defeat the purpose of the game.
odub712  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am around the same level as you so maybe I can help.

definitely bump up the HS by one level. I went from 3 to 4 and passed deathsquad and heroes the first plays of each song after bumping the HS up.
something that helped me was holding on to SP until the last possible second. there are breaks to easy sections during the solo that sometimes I would activate and the SP would run out before the harder part would start again.
When you have SP phrases coming that are hittable, just ignore the few notes before the SP phrase and make sure to hit them. if you have a full bar, you should be able to get through it today.
You'll get it. You are probably better than I am so it's just a matter of time. I can pass all the DF pack each time now, where a month ago I couldn't pass any of them. I even beat all of them today with no SP (was trying to test myself).
Hope my 2 cents helps. Good luck!!
GHAddict  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you consistent enough at this song to gather much (if any) Star Power? If you're just trying to pass, this is probably the most important thing for you to learn. You need to get at least some of these. Work on them. Grind them, they'rea ll real short--then just get that one lucky run and you're home free.

The first phrase is unnecessary to hit. It's very difficult, and it should be simply flailed through. You need to hit this one, though:

Next, you should be able to hit the strummy riff that repets several times throughout the song. There are 2 SP phrases that consist of this.

To hit that, start on a downstrum on the first chord, then start the red streak on a downstrum, too. You'll hit the R/O chord on a downstrum, at which point you'll slow down for the rest of it. Not as hard as it looks.

There are numerous other strumming parts that resemble this:

All of these have the same style: Start the chord on a downstrum, start the burst on a downstrum, and you'll end on a downstrum. Simple, eh?

Now you solo. You didn't provide enough information for me to tell you exactly what you need to do, but assuming you can hit 4 out of 6 of the wasy SP phrases above, you'll have plenty of SP for the solo. Just know: the solo is long, I'm not gonna lie. Wait until your fingers are on fire, the rock meter is red, and the hardest part of the solo is right around the corner, then fire away! Unless you tell me more, I really can't help.

If you have any questions about the chart, refer to this link. That's the note chart. If you can't even tell what buttons you're supposed to push in that mess of a solo, go there. Hyperspeed helps, too, to make sense of what you see.

If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask!

[Customs] - Click here if you like awesomeness

Goal: FC 75% of ALL on-disc Guitar Hero songs (Band Hero doesn't count) - (430 / 575)
Current: 368 / 575 - (64%)
Auriscope  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge advantage during this solo especially is to be able to go in and out of 3rd position without getting messed up. Since you are just trying to beat the song, and some of the probably hurts your rock meter badly, the ability attempt it with your ring and middle finger would be a great help.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still failing around the 73-75% mark consistently. Still havent taken note of the section in practice - but it usually goes downhill pretty quickly when the solo kicks in. (Which I believe is somewhere around measure 244, just before 2B kicks in). 75% was my very best so far, though I pretty much fail around the same spot everytime.
GHAddict  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaamean wrote:
Still failing around the 73-75% mark consistently. Still havent taken note of the section in practice - but it usually goes downhill pretty quickly when the solo kicks in. (Which I believe is somewhere around measure 244, just before 2B kicks in). 75% was my very best so far, though I pretty much fail around the same spot everytime.

Is that failure at 75% given that you've already used Star Power to make it that far?

[Customs] - Click here if you like awesomeness

Goal: FC 75% of ALL on-disc Guitar Hero songs (Band Hero doesn't count) - (430 / 575)
Current: 368 / 575 - (64%)
faman7  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was also the last DF song i passed. everyone gave you pretty good advice. get as far into the solo as possible before you activate SP make sure you dont activate it during a part you can hit most of the time, wait for something you have no idea how to hit and when your blinking red use sp, you may fail a few times because you waited a little too long for sp but it's really the only way. you will get lucky one run and hit notes your normally dont right after you activate SP which should put you in or near the green then you should be good to go.

This is the method i had to use when i first beat TTFAF i hated failing with full SP but i knew if i used it too early i would fail right after it runs out anyway.
5* [ ]

5* GH:SH [40/48]

GT: Bronxbombers7
yaamean  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To GHA: Yes, unfortunately I am very inconsistent as soon as the solo kicks in: As well as tend to panic a little bit when I realize I'm missing 4-5 notes in a row.

To Fam: Thanks, I'll try that.

all the DF songs give me such an admiration towards the expert tappers that make it look easy. I can grasp the concept, just cannot for the life of me fathom how they get into position so fast without missing a beat.
ArmourTheLlama  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also another important point (imo) that no-one else seems to have made: When you get to the solo, strum through all the parts you cant hit, and Don't strum too fast. Strumming really fast may seem to be the way to hit moar notez, and sometimes it is. But overstrumming hurts your rock meter on top of all the notes you are missing.

This doesn't mean I'm telling you to strum slowly; just don't try to strum every single note.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood....for the most part I just do a casual down strum every couple of notes if, like you said, it's a spot I know I have trouble hitting.

Will struggle more with this beast over the weekend and hopefully have good news. Thanks again for all the tips.
eddyf  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be downstrumming during the fast solo parts if you're flailing. That is too slow. With the GH3 engine, you can actually strum quite fast without incurring much damage to the rock meter, since most of the strums "find a note" to correspond to. You should be alt strumming at somewhere between the speed of the bursts earlier in the song, and half that speed.

Guide to the Tick Engine in Guitar Hero 3

Current GHIII Goals:
700k TTFAF (current score: 661k)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: