ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Bad habit or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETNY101  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Bad habit or not? Reply with quote

I whammy similar to Danny "Phenom" Johnson, but like I want to try different ways because when I do whammy short sustained star power notes I have to strum awkwardly. Any other ways on holding/whammying? Please and thanks. By the way sorry for all the posts xD I ask a lot of questions.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: axL c0re PSN Name: etny101
directshot999  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bad habit or not? Reply with quote

ETNY101 wrote:
I whammy similar to Danny "Phenom" Johnson, but like I want to try different ways because when I do whammy short sustained star power notes I have to strum awkwardly. Any other ways on holding/whammying? Please and thanks. By the way sorry for all the posts xD I ask a lot of questions.

No problem, we like answering questions =P.

I use ONLY my thumb to hit the strum bar and the entire rest of my hand on the whammy. I also use the X-Plorer, which isn't a common guitar so I don't know if that would help you.
ETNY101  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually thinking on using my xplorer guitar because the les paul is acting up. The blue SOMETIMES misses or something or the guitar overstrums. PLUS I trust corded things more because they respond better. The only problem with the xplorer is that it has a very small select (back) button and I activate SP with the select button I never tilt. So what should I do?

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: axL c0re PSN Name: etny101
1PARTYBOY1  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ETNY101 wrote:
The only problem with the xplorer is that it has a very small select (back) button and I activate SP with the select button I never tilt. So what should I do?

You can do this to make select activating easier on a X-plorer.

Goals: 55 FC''s GH3X[](54); 700K TTFAF[](646k) My Accomplishments
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: xPartyBoyxBB
ETNY101  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO omg that is welfare xD. I think I want to try another method please lol. Thanks though. :] Anyone else?

smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to have any shot at high scores do not whammy like Phenom. He misses so much whammy it is hilarious.

Now for a shameless plug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IidJOVrnEs

This is probably the best whammying technique.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bad habit or not? Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:
ETNY101 wrote:

No problem, we like answering questions =P.

I use ONLY my thumb to hit the strum bar and the entire rest of my hand on the whammy. I also use the X-Plorer, which isn't a common guitar so I don't know if that would help you.

I use the same method (unless I'm alt-strumming of course) on the Les Paul and it works fine. It really works with any guitar. The only downside to this is that if your whammy bar is somewhat loose and rotates easily, if you are doing a lot of strumming it will kind of droop down and face towards the floor. This happens to me on a few songs but usually it's not a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokyprogg wrote:
If you want to have any shot at high scores do not whammy like Phenom. He misses so much whammy it is hilarious.

I can't really see what his hand position is. Can you tell me? Thanks :]

ETNY101  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how he whammy's? I can hardly see it

Matt276  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I do it. Normally, my thumb sits on top of the strum bar, and my other fingers curl below the strum bar. When an SP hold comes, I move all four fingers from their curled position below the strum bar to a straightened position on top of the whammy bar. This makes it so that my fingers are ready to whammy, but I don't push the whammy bar down at all up to this point. Then I downstrum the SP hold with my thumb and immediately whammy with my other fingers. The whole thing is a very quick motion. In a split second, my fingers fly out to the top of the whammy bar, I strum, and I push the whammy bar down.

Advantages of this: You'll get all the whammy from the hold, and you don't have to change your normal position (unlike some people who leave fingers permanently on the whammy bar)

Disadvantages of this: You have to downstrum every SP hold (not that bad of a disadvantage IMO, but it makes things tricky when an SP hold immediately follows a fast strumming burst)

By the way, I'm pretty sure smoky has better videos of himself whammying. I know I've seen them.
ETNY101  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he whammys weird lol, the whole whammy between ring and pinky technique makes me over strum idk why. any other ideas?

JizzleWright  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt276 wrote:

I'm pretty sure smoky has better videos of himself whammying. I know I've seen them.

Try this.
The way I do it is I keep my thumb on the strumbar and whammy with my bottom three fingers (middle, ring and pinky). It works quite well but it is difficult to whammy short notes after a stream of fast notes.
ApE  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokyprogg wrote:

That video still makes me laugh.

Anyway, I used to hold the whammy bar between my pointer and middle. Then I realized that was stupid, so I started holding it between my ring finger and my pinky. That's definitely the most comfortable way for me, I found that right when I started doing that (the night Dragonforce DLC came out for GH3) I got a lot better.

ETNY101  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it's a WT guitar, the whammy on that is huge. So how do I hold it with that? Because I'm at my cousin's house at the moment playing RB2 and yeah I love the WT guitar and all just don't know how I should hold the whammy for that since it's huge. Thanks :]

zeMONUMENTAL  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that i recommend it but since the spring in my whammy broke I found that i can whammy every sustain. I just stick the base of the bar between fingers 4 and 5 and strum down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: