ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
You Ever Feel Like You Get Carried Away With GH?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpellcasterX  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: You Ever Feel Like You Get Carried Away With GH? Reply with quote

I play these "Guitar Hero" games, from time to time, some of you may have heard of them. It's a thing where you like, pretend to play the music of other bands like you're a rock star, but not. So basically it's like American Idol, but you don't have to mute the TV.

While I know this is how most people talk about Guitar Hero / Rock Band, alot of times I feel like this is how I should feel as well. I really enjoy grinding scores and making videos, but whenever I'm at a party it feels like the only thing that matters is passing a song. Nobody cares if you get 100% on TTFAF or if you just 4* it. Anything REALLY impressive you do is gone from the minds of the people around you within 5 seconds, because they're so engrossed in just having fun at their levels. I know that the joy you should be getting from doing what you want to do, and doing it well, should be from your motivation for playing and getting better, but it's moments like these where I feel like there are more valuable things I could be doing with my time then trying to FC Jordan with an optimal path. Every Guitar Hero player's first goal is to get good enough so that he/she doesn't fail the damned song, and I accomplished that on every level a long, long time ago.

I looked around YouTube the other day, and searched through thousands of comments, just to see who everyone was. I see alot of "dude ur good play ttfaf", "how come da notes turn blu on da screen" and "danny alredy fcd dis cool vid tho". Definitely not meaning to offend anyone here, but I feel like the viewing audience that I've been trying so hard to impress is quite a few years below me; not just a few years, but MANY years. They are impossible to impress, and they run through videos and accomplishments like a chain smoker bulldozes through his first cigarette of the day. I'm quickly starting to learn that I could be doing better things then trying to impress an audience only Danny could keep up with / could justify putting effort toward that age group. I love everyone in this community, but when an 18 year old skips going to a party to finish making a vid for a few 10 year olds who won't even be impressed with his presentation of two years worth of mastery for more than 5 seconds...he kind of starts to wonder why he bothered.

There's alot of money going into these games nowadays. The people who have stuck with the franchise's offerings from the beginning have probably already spent thousands, between dozens of guitars, drum kits, games, replacements, DLC, systems, cameras, camcorders, editing programs, imports and mods. You then turn around and look at all the money that you no longer see. Your first 4 guitars are in a dumpster somewhere, your first 4 games are being decorated by a spider's newest web, all the DLC you spent on those 4 games beforehand will never be played again. This is all (basically) non-refundable. If I just sit back and imagine all the things I could've been doing with the money I gave away, I'd be so much happier. I could've taken trips to see my girlfriend, I could've gotten a better college meal plan...hell I could've gotten a real drum kit. I wish I had those chances now.

tl;dr, I don't regret liking GH/RB, and I'm not going to stop liking them anytime soon. There's just alot haunting me now, asking me if I've gotten carried away with following the franchises. Have you ever felt this way? Do you have similar stories?

Last edited by SpellcasterX on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SpellDX
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. When my dad says "Stop playing the game and get a job!" I say "No, I need to get good enough so I can get paid to play it." Times like that I feel like I've gotten slightly carried away.

I don't actually say it, and I do have a job, but I'm definitely thinking it in my mind

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
GenericName  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of feel this way sometimes, but not really. I'm not trying to impress anyone besides people I actually know, but I am starting to get to the point where all I really have to do is grind out FCs, which is just plain frustrating sometimes, and not really that fun.

So, I sort of feel the same way, but for different reasons?...

Xpertlefty13  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it begins for you...

6 months go, I might have skipped a party if I was in the middle of grinding. Now? Fuck no. Do I consider myself "carried away" back then? Sure. I can't say I wasn't. I played a LOT more than I should have been. But, now when I play for fun, I can still do some crazy stuff, so the pros/cons of being "carried away" are pretty close. And I found Scorehero, <3

2.9.10 - First Bass FSFC
3.20.10 - First to FGFC 3 instruments on RB2.
ynomrah  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i considered the ENtire experience, "carried away".

however due to the circumstances that were in my life at the time i was really really into grinding, it was probably the best thing going for me, and i regret none of it.

as of now though, i play ONLY moderately so. things in my life are alot different then they were in 2008.

One thing though is that, i will never let go of any of the skills i learned, and in all actuality i have no plans to stop playing gh/rb in the near future atleast. i will possibly never again play it as much as i did previously, but only moderately enough so it doesn't interfere with anything else in my life. i do plan to make videos and such though for fc's or whatever the case. And honestly, i have always kinda made those videos strictly for my own interest in mind, never anyone else particularly. just for myself knowing "i can do it as good as such n such".

but yeah i definately dont regret the experience at all, and i LOVE music so this stuff isnt going away for me anytime soon. especially with gh5 coming out and being as awesome as it is. like really that game is almost perfect to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel you. I played these way too much in the past, and now I've gotten better about it, but I never felt like I wasted my money. Ok, maybe sometimes on DLC but never on the games. They're fun and enjoyable, and playing with friends is awesome. But eventually these games will die out, one will flop or something and we'll have to move on.

www.highschoolorlower.com | VISIT OR PERISH
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ViperX66
Grimnir  

Location: OMG you live in ut or play on psn? add me lets play!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get to the fc grind... the super squeeze paths... I can see how it can turn ugly to the player. I got pretty annoyed on gh3 when I hit 45 fc (if you look, my avi hasn't been updated since). I would stream and have ppl watching who were mostly friends. But ppl would come in, and brag about their already fc'ing a song, or someone else doing it <_<

So for wt, since the game was crap (to me) I took a break from the competitive edge... I think if I didn't have the unsupportive audience it wouldn't have been the same though. The constant dismissal of my skills because I wasn't the best player in the world didn't feel as great as my friends who appreciated how well I could play, even when I was barely passing a song. My supportive audience, like yours, doesn't really know the difference unless I tell them.

Right now I play alot still. I'm a gamer, it's what I do. But I mainly play the gh / rb series when my friends wanna play. And I have absolutely no fanboi-ism about which is superior <_< I also play MAG when my friends are playing mag, and dj hero too. In short, I just make sure I'm playing multiplayer... because then it's like it was. playing with friends. That's the key to making the games great ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the people who visit these forums regularly would be considered "getting carried away" by most. When you're playing at a get together, everybody will be saying "Wow, nice squeeze" whereas at a party with GH as a side issue, it will be "How do you move your fingers that fast?"

What I'm saying is that to the average person, who play medium, occasionally hard when he wants a challenge, Grinding out a score is way too carried away. To someone who hates GH, playing on Hard or even Expert is carried away. Everybody has a different decision of "carried away."

Sometimes I think I play too much, but only when my parents call the game "TukTukTuk" (Because of the strum bar). I have stopped playing recently, mainly because I was trying to get xxx,x62 on Closer, and I realised I needed a break. I started playing again and I play a lot less, but still have fun and grind sometimes.

So, I guess the answer is yes.

Some slogans for Scorehero, courtesy of Sloganizer
Scorehero. Impossible is nothing
I'd sleep with Scorehero
Some for TheTrueSatanist:
Jesus loves TheTrueSatanist
Warhiem  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread I don't feel like I have. I mean I play it a lot, but I'd be doing something else if I wasn't playing this. I don't ditch going to things though if I'm having a good day.
deadhead15  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think I wasted my life with this game, if not for this I would have just kept playing other games or watched TV when I am bored. I just use this as a way to pass time when I have nothing else to do, I just happened to get really good at the game and some people choose to give me shit for it. The game doesn't interfere with my social life though. I still hang out with friends, I still go to parties, and I don't blow things off to play GH. For me its just a hobby and nothing more.

Real Guitar Thread: most recent,Brand New Song In The Works http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89080

Accomplishments: most recent, Dark Matter FC (Crazy Chart)
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66794&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: deadhead6391
olle92  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play nearly as much as i used to, I meen i would blow off my friends cause I wanted to FC Cliffs of Dover or something. I really don't enjoy grinding FCs so I'm pretty much just improving my scores on the hardest songs whenever I play. I really enjoyed the time I had getting better at the game though. It was alot of fun progressing through the Expert career on GH3 But yeah, there was a time when I played way too much, but back then, I enjoyed playing that much so I guess I didn't think I had gotten carried away.

TheLonging  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I couldn't relate to any of that until I hit... what paragraph was it... oh yeah, the 4th paragraph.

I don't think I really ever in my life, have FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF'd so hard before.

I know how much money has already gone into just GH alone (I think around $300 or so, including DLC), and then in RB, I think I spent around $600, which does include DLC. It's like an addiction, and I spend money on stuff, like DLC, that I probably won't really even play again until some random setlist slaps me in the face with it (what's it like for the DLC whores ._.)

I think I feel like I spend too much time in GH/RB, and it's actually been worsening my social life (even though I had very little to being with), and even though it's just a game and all that, it seems like I do spend a lot of time with it, almost like an addiction.

Just my .02 on this anyways.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
radoaos  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to. Now I play 2 hours a week maybe. I just don't have time to play more, and my friends are kind of over it, so I doon't have anyone pushing me like I used to. If I could find a gorup of 3 people to come over and FB with me, I'd play way more. Honestly, playing to FC songs isn't that fun for me anymore. Instead I just pick a really tough song, and get way into it. Drumming blindfolded is fun too!
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably play 2-4 hours of GH/RB a day, but I don't feel like I'm addicted to it. I don't skip hanging out with friends to play RB or GH, I don't skip watching new episodes of my favorite shows, I don't skip parties. If I'm playing by myself I will go for FCs and high scores, but I can have fun with it and it doesn't consume my life.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadhead15 wrote:
I don't really think I wasted my life with this game, if not for this I would have just kept playing other games or watched TV when I am bored. I just use this as a way to pass time when I have nothing else to do, I just happened to get really good at the game and some people choose to give me shit for it. The game doesn't interfere with my social life though. I still hang out with friends, I still go to parties, and I don't blow things off to play GH. For me its just a hobby and nothing more.
Thats the biggest thing. A few of my friends give me shit about how good I am (to them) and try to say I'm addicted, but really the reason I have the highest overall score is because I almost always play while I watch TV, I usually don't do one or the other. Itd be way to boring to me to just sit and play RB/GH all day with nothing else going on.

Anyway I still would always rather go out..I've never blown off a friend to stay home and play GH/RB..I always do it in down time. If you're blowing off other things or if it's causing consequences (girlfriends leaving you, losing jobs, family members disowning you, etc) you might be addicted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: