Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Movie Going Experience
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bendover  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: The Movie Going Experience Reply with quote

With the advent of DVD technology, the fact that all the movies out in theaters will be out on DVD in about 3 months but loaded with interviews, commentaries, and other goodies while still staying at a cheaper price then one single ticket, it really makes you wonder why anyone still goes to the theater to watch movies. My question to you is, if you still go to the theater to watch movies when they're new, why do you do it?

Personally, I only still go to horror movies, because the audience reactions are usually so hilarious and most of the time more entertaining then the movie itself.

Skype wrote:
[4:09:44 PM] Jared Brock: War Ensemble is easy as hell [on drums]
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could go on and on about the magic of cinema and how communal an activity it is to see a movie in theaters. I do believe this to some extent. However, you hit the nail on the head. It just isn't economically feasible to see most movies in theaters. I normally see only big events in theaters, such as special 3d showings (Avatar) or big blockbusters (mostly comic book movies: Watchmen, The Dark Knight). But I do get out to see about ten smaller release independent films every year. Generally, these films are better than the mainstream in terms of storytelling, emotional impact, and personal touches, so I choose to support the filmmakers and studios that produce them.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

NovaXD  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:
I could go on and on about the magic of cinema and how communal an activity it is to see a movie in theaters.

Ayo I GOT THIS
For me it's definitely the community feel, interaction with new people is always good. If you ever go to a big midnight showing especially, where all the geeky kids come out, it's like a big party before the film starts (and after!). It's the same reason you probably invite your friends or someone over to watch the DVD with you. It's nice for a great deal of movies out there, especially big action and horror movies with surround sound and all that.]
Then again, there are the movies that are better for only two people, or what have you. It depends on the film you're viewing a great deal, but movie-going is a big social aspect of the modern American lifestyle.

I should write an essay about it
Benedettosoxfan  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn. That is all.
And the football field of a screen the movie is projected on with the crazy sound systema and comfy seats. Movies are getting too pricy though.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Benedettosoxfan
Send me a request!
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kid who always kicks your seat.

/thread

I like Blu-Rays better, I have a 52" and 5.1 system so I can enjoy it at my own home without the people making a commentary.
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
Twang  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never buy the movie, so I might as well. I only care to see most movies once, and if that one time is on a huge screen with a couple of friends, then there is no problem paying an extra dollar or so.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
DPooch  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy going to theaters when I do. I agree that being in a theater with a bunch of other people is really fun,
as well as being the only one(s) in there.
Being alone, you get to screw around as much as you want.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: poochz0rz
polishedbullet  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gone to see a movie in theaters since October of 2008. Then again, I've only watched about 8 movies since then overall and 4 of them were over this Christmas break.

RIP Piper. I love you. 3/26/10
Devil666555SH  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally only go to those overhyped ass movies with a bunch of people since it does get fun lol. People=fun @ movies.
Megabert  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still go to the movies occasionally. The last three movies I went to were all dates with my gf, so that's the main reason I go nowadays. It's a lot easier to get her parents to let us go see a movie in a theater than at my house in my living room.

Unpur3  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just pretty jealous that you can buy a new DVD for less than a cinema ticket.
guitarroker  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unpur3 wrote:
I'm just pretty jealous that you can buy a new DVD for less than a cinema ticket.

You can? I thought DVDs were always at least $19,99 (new ones anyway).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarroker wrote:
Unpur3 wrote:

You can? I thought DVDs were always at least $19,99 (new ones anyway).

the vast majority of standard DVD's are this price. However, I don't agree with it, so I always try to look for discounts. 2 weeks ago, Best Buy had The Hangover for $8.99, and of course I go there yesterday to find it $20. boooooo.

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matinees at the place I usually go near me are $4.50. Granted I'd rather go down to the theater in Grand Blanc (maybe 20 minutes) for IMAX or insane hi-def, perfect stadium seating, and amazing memory foam seats... But still, going to watch on HUGE screens, with really good sound quality, endless popcorn, often with friends...yep, going to the movies is still awesome in my book.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I usually just go to hang out with people I don't get a chance to see that often, so it's easier to just say 'hey you wanna go see this movie some time with some other people' than to just have them come over. I guess it's just a fun thing to do with people, I would never go to a movie by myself unless i just really wanted to see it.

Also Avatar would not be as awesome on DVD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: