ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Do you think you are a good Guitar Hero player?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toymachine  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fudrick wrote:
toymachine wrote:
Then you agree GuitarHeroPhenom iz best

Quote this conversation for future generations everyone.

No, I don't, at all. He hasn't FCd the hardest things. If you seriously think tournaments show more skill than FCs... lmao.

FCing Hard things: Sitting in your room derp
Tournaments: Beating a ton of people by FCing things and using starpower correctly.

lmao indeed
ManOfMrE  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play nicely

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManOfMrE wrote:
Play nicely

>The internet
>Playing nice and not arguing over pointless shit

I lol'ed.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: moomandw
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fudrick wrote:
smokyprogg wrote:
I've never FC'd anything harder than Raining Blood, discounting GH1. I clearly suck ass. People like you are the reason that the tournament scene for this game sucks dick when it had the fanbase at one point to be as big as the huge name titles.

First of all, why discount GH1? Second, FCing RaBl =/= sucking. Third of all, not only full songs are counted in "FCing hard things." Lastly, I didn't say FCing hard things is the only way to be good, I was simply using the examples he gave and showing which one actually shows more skill. I think you have like a -1 on RD, and a lot of other impressive accomplishments that prove your skill too.

Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I lol'd. But the main thing I see why tournament play is harder is you only get one shot to play the song you best you can. Not to mention there is pressure if it's like a finals song in WCG or something. FCing a song in your bedroom is a lot easier than going up against someone really good, in person, and having one shot to beat their score by having a better SP path and playing the song better.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that FCing at home versus competition is just different in the case of different songs. FCing the same song at home versus in an event is a LOT more difficult, of course, as HellAshes explained. Yes, if you're a Phenom or a BucketBlue or what have you the songs you're playing and trying to FC or just do well on are likely to be a lot harder than the songs in competitions (there's really no comparison that can be made between Demon(s) and Soulless as far as difficulty goes, for one example), but that's not entirely the argument that is being made here.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
ace5993  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion guitar hero skill should be measured by the best songs you have FCd, not by the best songs you can get good scores on consistently. I can FC every song in the guitar hero series almost every time with the exception of about 10 songs, and a handful more from GHWT (blasted sliders). Now sure I'm not the best at squeezing but if squeezing really is that big of a consideration into skill level, I ask you this. Why do they only pick from the top 10 or so hardest songs in the game for tournament gameplay? They're looking for songs that show who can hit the most notes, not who can squeeze better. On the leaderboards, you can be the best squeezer of all time, be first place on 3/4 of the setlist, but you can't FC the remaining 1/4. You wouldn't make the top 50.

Using this same logic, if they continued to make harder songs in the games, up to the level that people are FC'ing customs now-a-days, the competitions would continue to be drawn more and more toward the hitting notes aspect and less away from the squeezing aspect. Squeezing is only relevant in tournament gameplay because the song pool is too easy. They don't have hard enough songs to truly measure skill in the main series (with the exception of about 10, but if you're picking from a pool of 15 songs from ONE game, you aren't going to have a hard enough song most of the time).

Danny is not the obvious best guitar hero player, because he has not FC'd the hardest songs. Gamingfreak3 has FC'd many songs harder than anything Danny's done. ggamerman is far closer to a Soulless 3 FC than Danny is, it's likely he will FC it by the end of the month. Danny is not the end all for hard FCs anymore. He is still right at the top level yes, but at least 2-3 other people are very, very close, or better than he is at FC'ing hard songs.

I think banobi winning that one tournament was a very telling sign. I highly doubt he was the best at squeezing in that draw. He knew the paths for the songs, and he had the ability to hit them. Many high-level non-tournament players could do the same thing.

In my opinion guitar hero is not a game built for competitive gameplay. That's just the way I see it. Some people may view consistency > achievement and that's a valid viewpoint. Personally I can FC TTFAF at least half the time I play it when I'm actually trying, so it's not like I'm devaluing consistency because I'm not good at it. Having competed in many national tennis tournaments I think I can safely say that the pressure probably wouldn't affect me personally very much in tournament gameplay. I don't think squeezing is any indication of skill using either viewpoint however you look at it, and using star power in the correct spots isn't really a skill, just something that needs to be memorized.

I'm not going to rate different people based on guitar hero ability because that's impossible to "calculate". However doing well in tournaments is hardly a true measure of skill in guitar hero when so many good players don't even compete. I'm happy for smoky that he makes 5 figures off tournament gameplay, he has obviously put his skill to a very clever use, but is he the best GH player because he makes the most money playing tournaments? He obviously doesn't "suck ass", but on the other hand I don't think anyone, smoky included, would say he is the best player.

TL;DR - FCs >>>>>>>> Tournament results when judging two players.
elScarecrow  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace5993 wrote:
using star power in the correct spots isn't really a skill, just something that needs to be memorized.

i beg to differ.

1. if it were that easy, there would be a fuck of a lot more ties for 1st than there are

2. figuring out the right star power path is a challenge in itself much of the time. because some people (lol me) dont post every single path they draw up. you can see why this is advantageous in a tournament.

3. by your logic, every Dick and Bob who has FC'd Raining Blood is better than Fug. lolno.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ESC57
Kubuh  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace5993 wrote:

I think banobi winning that one tournament was a very telling sign. I highly doubt he was the best at squeezing in that draw. He knew the paths for the songs, and he had the ability to hit them. Many high-level non-tournament players could do the same thing.

Just saying that banobi hit the last damn double squeeze in Deadbolt in an actual match down there, so he is definitely pretty damn good at squeezing.

^Also what Scarecrow said.

Last edited by Kubuh on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ace5993  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elScarecrow wrote:
ace5993 wrote:
using star power in the correct spots isn't really a skill, just something that needs to be memorized.

i beg to differ.

1. if it were that easy, there would be a fuck of a lot more ties for 1st than there are

2. figuring out the right star power path is a challenge in itself much of the time. because some people (lol me) dont post every single path they draw up. you can see why this is advantageous in a tournament.

3. by your logic, every Dick and Bob who has FC'd Raining Blood is better than Fug. lolno.

Sorry, I phrased that badly. In the context of tournament gameplay, starpower isn't a skill you need. Using starpower in the generally correct place and FC'ing the song is going to beat someone who squeezes perfectly and misses 2-3 times. And also every Dick and Bob who have FC'd RaBl is NOT better than Fug because Fug has FC'd harder songs than RaBl, he's just bad at that particular one.
elScarecrow  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace5993 wrote:

Sorry, I phrased that badly. In the context of tournament gameplay, starpower isn't a skill you need. Using starpower in the generally correct place and FC'ing the song is going to beat someone who squeezes perfectly and misses 2-3 times. And also every Dick and Bob who have FC'd RaBl is NOT better than Fug because Fug has FC'd harder songs than RaBl, he's just bad at that particular one.

how bout if both people FC the song and one person squeezes it and the other just uses star power in "generally the right place"?

also with tick glitching, a non FC can beat an FC. i did it on American Girl last year 2 or 3 times. i squeezed and glitched ticks and missed. and the other person FC'd. and i won. >_>

better than Fug at GH3, then. still lolno.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ESC57
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elScarecrow wrote:
ace5993 wrote:

i beg to differ.

i think the point that ace is trying to make is that squeezing is only important when both players in question can already hit all the notes. sure if you get two very consistent good players playing the hardest songs in a given game, squeezing may come into question, but if both players aren't that good, which is almost always the case, hitting notes becomes far more important. considering the fact that most of the best players aren't competitive via tournaments, and that the live environment and general tense nature of tournaments makes people more prone to missing, you will almost always have songs hard enough for competitive play that squeezing would hardly be an issue. just having a path is typically enough.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubuh wrote:
ace5993 wrote:

Just saying that banobi hit the last damn double squeeze in Deadbolt in an actual match down there, so he is definitely pretty damn good at squeezing.

^Also what Scarecrow said.

Banobi would have been out of the tournament if he didn't get that squeeze. There are mayber 5 or 6 people that have ever hit the squeeze out of a tournament.

EDIT: Also. I was playing him in Schizoid man and won when he FC'd and I didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then maybe all these "amazing players" should get off their high horses and enter WCG/ESWC and give everyone a run for their money!
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
then maybe all these "amazing players" should get off their high horses and enter WCG/ESWC and give everyone a run for their money!

They can't possibly do that because the songs are too easy and learning paths is for idiot tryhards from that stupid scorehero place, obviously.

But seriously, this is a good idea. It would certainly end this debate.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: