ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Tucker Max

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferretgod  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Tucker Max Reply with quote

Me and my friends recently became fans of this guy. Anyone else read his book I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell or the movie of the same name? He just had a new book out in September called Assholes Finish First.

Anyway, just thought I'd see what other people think of him; like, love, or hate him?

I couldn't resist lulz
"I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, because America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." ~Newt Gingrich
"To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt." - Thomas Jefferson
"What was wrong with communism wasn't aberrant leadership, it was communism" - William F. Buckley, Jr.
killermonkey  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the movie, I wanna read the book but my favorites of his that I've literally spent hours reading are the stories on his website. I like how he's the person so many people wish they could be. I disagree with some of the stuff he does but I think people should try to follow his thing of doing what he wants to do. So many people these days are afraid to do things and be honest. This guy's not and I respect the hell out of that
Shaph  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the University of Chicago a few years after he did, and the undergrad grapevine's hearsay believes he BSed a lot in his book "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell." I suspect he does the same on his website. Truthfulness of his exploits aside, he does a very good job of marketing himself and his persona, making a lot of money with it.

I'll just never understand the appeal of Tucker Max, though. I'm not sure if acting like a dick or glorifying the acting like a dick bothers me more.

This will never be the only landscape we create.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Shaph514 Wii Friend Code: 5063917987417061
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killermonkey wrote:
I liked the movie, I wanna read the book but my favorites of his that I've literally spent hours reading are the stories on his website. I like how he's the person so many people wish they could be. I disagree with some of the stuff he does but I think people should try to follow his thing of doing what he wants to do. So many people these days are afraid to do things and be honest. This guy's not and I respect the hell out of that
I'm of the opinion that it's all meant to be satirical, and a lot of people have missed that joke. I don't think he seriously intends to portray waking up covered in dog shit and your own vomit on a public park bench as noble or something to aspire to. I am pretty sure you're supposed to see the part where he wakes up covered in dog shit and his own vomit on a public park bench and say "Wow...asshole got what he deserves." Likewise the story about transexuals, the anal sex story... There's probably more. Those are the two that jump to mind.

As for the veracity of his stories? I think of them as fictionalized versions of his real life, and he's writing about what an awful person he is. I'm not saying there's anything with drinking or promiscuity, but if you wake up covered in dog shit and your own vomit on a public park bench, you've fucked up somewhere.

I think he is, with a fictional character sharing his name (like Stephen Colbert vs. Stephen Colbert), mocking the college/partying lifestyle. The character is shown as hyper-competent at most things besides self-control. He's a man-child. He declares himself the love of his own life. He's absolutely not an idol, even though he's living this life that we're all supposed to want.

Yes, the stories are funny, but whose the target of the jokes?
Quote:
12:18: I blow a .20. I AM A GOD. The sushi bar erupts. Men are applauding me. Girls are pining for me. Everyone wants to talk to me. I forgive them their flaws, as they are all paying attention to me.

That's clearly intended as a satire at the desirability of the lifestyle he leads.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine and myself found his book when we went on a trip to Boston. Even though most of the stuff in there is hilarious, we quickly came to the conclusion that it was BS. The guy knows how to captivate an audience with words and it was fun to read bits and parts. Maybe some of it is true, maybe none of it is true, but I know not all of it is true. All in all, good bathroom material stuff right there. lol
killermonkey  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying waking up in dog shit is something to aspire to, I'm just saying people should aspire to having the courage to do as the please and not be afraid of what people think.
ferretgod  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think most if not all is true. It's not like what he writes in his book is about one crazy weekend. I've heard him say that it's an accumulation of 10 years of partying. Not to mention he says several times in his first book that he is right at the top of the bell curve when it comes to how much he's packing in his pants. I would think if he was gonna lie about anything it would be that. He also said in an interview that he isn't the craziest, or the coolest, or the funniest guy doing what he's doing. He was just smart enough to write it down.

I couldn't resist lulz
"I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, because America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." ~Newt Gingrich
"To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt." - Thomas Jefferson
"What was wrong with communism wasn't aberrant leadership, it was communism" - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: